Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, a 2/3 flash Flyer Lord is pretty solid. It'd be way better as a 3 drop but even at 4 mana that's probably still standard playable.

It doesn't trigger on some of the other Spirits Matter cards like Nebelgast Herald, but I don't know that there's anything that does the job better.

Alternatively, you could run Gideon and choose to make an unkillable anthem, a giant threat, or a grindy knight producing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

I have yet to see any evidence that it's actually good.

What would it take for you to believe that its good exactly?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

What would it take for you to believe that its good exactly?

Playing against it/seeing it played and feeling like it actually had a chance to win.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Elyv posted:

Alternatively, you could run Gideon and choose to make an unkillable anthem, a giant threat, or a grindy knight producing machine.

In the interest of continuing to argue for the virtues of a dumb card, I'll point to the fact that Gideon is sorcery speed.

+1 for the drake. Take that, internet.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Playing against it/seeing it played and feeling like it actually had a chance to win.

It does the draw go thing pretty well, the side board is what really makes that deck shine in modern. Having Jeskai colors mean you can hate out basically the other tier 1 decks in modern while still able to put a good clock on the board. I like the Mardu version though, even though it's probably not very good, it does look fun as hell to play, especially since it uses Painful Truths instead of Ancestral Visions, which can draw you 3 almost any time in the game. Although it's a non-bo with Goblin Dank Memers where Ancestral Visions is really good with Dank :/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Voyager I posted:

I can't tell if we're being ironic or not but I'd be alright with an Angler ban to shakeup the format.

gently caress it, ban Mulldrifter too.

I think Angler is important to give control decks a big beefy beater that can end games, since otherwise you're pushing people towards the awful creatureless Teachings deck that wins with Evincar's Justice and Pristine Talisman. It isn't like MBC is the boogeyman that just crushes everything because of their sweet 5/5 - they have Marshmist Titan if they really wanted a big beater, while also allowing them to run Spinning Darkness. Also, there are other Delve creatures that aren't that far away from Angler.

Mulldrifter is probably too strong, but not oppressively so, and it gives grindy decks a reason to exist. It isn't like Mulldrifter is keeping all the non-blue grindy decks down - Kuldotha Boros is a perfectly reasonable deck, it just gains a lot by lightly splashing blue. If Mulldrifter gets banned, it isn't like there's a whole lot of other grindy decks just waiting for the blue grindy decks to get weakened before they can take over. Banning Mulldrifter would just weaken stuff like my Flicker Rats deck or the Drake decks or the multiple Kor Skyfisher decks or the BUG Grim Harvest deck, without there actually being a reason to weaken those decks. If you want to beat them, you can always just play Stompy.

Drake needs to go for obvious reasons. Delver should probably have a hard looking at because Mono Blue Delver was taking a wide portion of the metagame before Drake dropped and Delver just goes into random blue decks because blindflipping Delvers are kind of overpowered.

suicidesteve posted:

The Jeskai Nahiri decks that don't bother with Ancestral Visions seem adequate if you have a known metagame, since they can be tuned to beat whatever you need. Ancestral Visions is a terrible card in Modern - I would prefer to not have dead draws in my deck that, under the best conditions, become active on turn 5.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

keeblerdrow posted:

In the interest of continuing to argue for the virtues of a dumb card, I'll point to the fact that Gideon is sorcery speed.

+1 for the drake. Take that, internet.

Gideon is Sorcery Speed, while the Drake can generate the anthem effect the turn it comes down while still leaving a 2/3 flying body behind.

Gideon is also going to be fairly bad in a deck that doesn't otherwise care about attacking on the ground.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

It feels very much like scapeshift to me. I don't know how well it handles a tempo-based grixis deck, but it's been problematic for my r/g valakut deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, a 2/3 flash Flyer Lord is pretty solid. It'd be way better as a 3 drop but even at 4 mana that's probably still standard playable.

It doesn't trigger on some of the other Spirits Matter cards like Nebelgast Herald, but I don't know that there's anything that does the job better.

The fact it doesn't trigger any of the other spirits is why it isn't good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Banning Mulldrifter is quite reactionary and will also make a ton of matchups just way more grindy for no really good reason. I see basically zero upside.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Angry Grimace posted:

The fact it doesn't trigger any of the other spirits is why it isn't good.

It doesn't trigger the herald, but it buffs the cursecatcher anyway, and since it already has flash it doesn't matter for Rattlechains. I'm not sure what else you're playing that cares about spirits hitting the battlefield specifically? Essence Flux maybe?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellsau posted:

The Jeskai Nahiri decks that don't bother with Ancestral Visions seem adequate if you have a known metagame, since they can be tuned to beat whatever you need. Ancestral Visions is a terrible card in Modern - I would prefer to not have dead draws in my deck that, under the best conditions, become active on turn 5.

Normally, I agree with you, but the amount of advantage a turn 1 Vision can provide is insane. And Nahiri is a looter, so it isn't completely dead when you can just toss it for a Dank Dwellers flashback.

You're right in that it is a card that gets sided out a lot. But, of course, I'm still new with the deck and haven't had many match ups with it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So apparently there was a pretty sweet magic bubble slapfight going on in the high-end magic facebook group, started by no other than dan bock. Some really choice quotes in there

quote:

there is little incentive for the chinese to actually produce a good fake.

quote:

People love arguing about if something is a bubble or not. Everyone wants to be a prophet. There's precedent either way.

quote:

But how do you know Magic card prices are in a bubble? Are prices of Magic cards driven by "greed and fast money" (as you put it) or by the fact that there are now 12 million Magic players worldwide but still only 22,000 Black Lotuses?[...same guy...]I disagree. ALL of those 12 million people [estimated total players who play magic] are interested in buying a Lotus: if it cost $5. The reason it's actually $5,000 is that's the price at which enough people stop being able to afford it that demand exactly equals supply. That's how prices are set. If another 12 million people take up Magic, the price of Black Lotus will rise again. If people start giving the game up, the price will fall.
The last part was in response to this: Yeah there are 12 million magic players. But there are only a few hundreds that are actually interested in buying one. Then, There are only a small percentage of the interested people have actually the money to buy a lotus and keep it forevah. Majority keep lotuses with the hopes of one day selling it to pay for their children's college education

quote:

Actually if all the people were educated that black lotus is as rare as it is, then they would eant to have a piece of that action. Thats about 6 bilyun people. And each wouldnt mind having extra lol

quote:

I think the biggest thing people can do to secure mtg investments is to grow the player base while eventually funneling players into eternal formats.

and of course:

quote:

This very point has been mentioned a few weeks back by Travis Woo on YouTube. When you compare Lotus price with MtG estimated player growth: it overlaps perfectly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I am sorry you never get to play against anyone competent with it. It is a very solid t1.5 deck with some very solid matchups in the meta.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
After listening to the LR rare set review, I'm a bit concerned that EMN might be a FRF ridiculous bombs format

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Chill la Chill posted:

This very point has been mentioned a few weeks back by Travis Woo on YouTube. When you compare Lotus price with MtG estimated player growth: it overlaps perfectly.

Or it could just be them both going up over time. Correlation does not imply causation.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm going to be hitting up a modern PPTQ and probably GP Indy in the next month. Between Infect, Affinity, Abzan Coco, bushwacker zoo, burn, bant eldrazi, and eldrazi taxes (lol no), what deck do you think is better for an open field? I'm leaning towards infect, zoo, or abzan Coco. Infect is what I've been practicing with for now, but I am hesitant about dealing with Jeskai Nahiri, which local spikes seem to love playing lately because it's the closest thing to control and spikes love loving control decks.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm looking for Nahiris for Restore (nahiri's) Balance

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I've always enjoyed that balance is one of the most perfectly misnamed cards of all time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I'm going to be hitting up a modern PPTQ and probably GP Indy in the next month. Between Infect, Affinity, Abzan Coco, bushwacker zoo, burn, bant eldrazi, and eldrazi taxes (lol no), what deck do you think is better for an open field? I'm leaning towards infect, zoo, or abzan Coco. Infect is what I've been practicing with for now, but I am hesitant about dealing with Jeskai Nahiri, which local spikes seem to love playing lately because it's the closest thing to control and spikes love loving control decks.

Infect is just a very consistent deck and if you have it you should play it. I don't really think the jeskai matchup is that bad game 2/3 and you force your jeskai opponent to have all the removal game 1. I find that outside of a turn 1 agent, you just need to gameplan to go a turn slower so you can hold up vines/blessing/pierce/dispel.

The good news is that it is probably your worst matchup and you probably won't even see it. Playing infect also means that your matches won't last forever which I enjoy a lot.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zemyla posted:

Or it could just be them both going up over time. Correlation does not imply causation.

You don't "get" Twoo, do you?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zemyla posted:

there's a correlation between CO2 emmisions increasing and the global temperature rising but hey i guess you can't imply causation for that

i agree with you but i've always hated this phrase, we use correlations to make hypotheses all the time if they're strong enough

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Infect is just a very consistent deck and if you have it you should play it. I don't really think the jeskai matchup is that bad game 2/3 and you force your jeskai opponent to have all the removal game 1. I find that outside of a turn 1 agent, you just need to gameplan to go a turn slower so you can hold up vines/blessing/pierce/dispel.

The good news is that it is probably your worst matchup and you probably won't even see it. Playing infect also means that your matches won't last forever which I enjoy a lot.

Yeah, I never play a super mentally taxing deck at a tournament. I'm not a particularly fast player in the first place, so I just go hard in the paint and enjoy my breaks. The thought of running Eldrazi Taxes for an entire GP makes me want to die. If I had the devotion for more reps where actions and playlines became automatic, that would be another thing, but I'm a casual scrub who would rather watch Stranger Things on Netflix.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
sorry zemyla, those are apparently my trigger words when i've gone a long time without sleep

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

dont you remember the one guy who got real buttmad that she asks simplistic questions, cause apparently helping newer players understand the game is really bad

to be completely fair people have been complaining about Rich Hagon for this exact reason for years

so at least mtg players are consistently retarded

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

If you've been practicing with Infect then I agree that you should play it. I've found that playing a deck you know really well is just a good as having a deck that's a good meta call, especially if you're playing a long event where you're going to get fatigued and sloppy eventually.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

If you've been practicing with Infect then I agree that you should play it. I've found that playing a deck you know really well is just a good as having a deck that's a good meta call, especially if you're playing a long event where you're going to get fatigued and sloppy eventually.

Modern is still fairly deck flexible if you understand the archetypes. That said Infect is probably the best deck in the format so yeah play that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Modern is still fairly deck flexible if you understand the archetypes. That said Infect is probably the best deck in the format so yeah play that.

I'd argue it is Jund is the best deck, but you really cannot go wrong with infect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I've spoken to a few pros about Modern and they said the only decks you should be playing in Modern are Infect or Suicide Zoo. Not the best decks, the only decks. heh

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I've spoken to a few pros about Modern and they said the only decks you should be playing in Modern are Infect or Suicide Zoo. Not the best decks, the only decks. heh

I want to play Suicide Zoo but I slept too long on Mishra's Baubles...

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I dunno about these dummy aggro decks, p. sure Grixis Delver is the most fun I've had playing magic in ten years.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

stinkles1112 posted:

I dunno about these dummy aggro decks, p. sure Grixis Delver is the most fun I've had playing magic in ten years.

Eldrazi Taxes for me. It's a fun blend of aggro and making your opponent miserable. I'm tempted to have Mana Tithe in the SB just to mess with people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm trying to build up to BW Tokens :shobon:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

I don't understand how Delver could be fun in Modern. I just want no part of that card without Brainstorm or Ponder. As for Zoo/Infect the logic is that the Phyrexian Mana cards are broken so you want to be abusing them and those decks do that best.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm trying to build up to BW Tokens :shobon:

Why?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

It's cheap-ish?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hahaha, Maro's corporate masters are making him sign all his blog posts with a hashtag indicating he's a Wizards employee.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Logicblade posted:

It doesn't trigger the herald, but it buffs the cursecatcher anyway, and since it already has flash it doesn't matter for Rattlechains. I'm not sure what else you're playing that cares about spirits hitting the battlefield specifically? Essence Flux maybe?

Herald is how you win the game.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand how Delver could be fun in Modern. I just want no part of that card without Brainstorm or Ponder. As for Zoo/Infect the logic is that the Phyrexian Mana cards are broken so you want to be abusing them and those decks do that best.

Ponder is too busted for modern, meanwhile CoCo players are popping out 6 cmc in creatures for 4 mana at instant speed.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Uh, Ponder is blue and Collected Company is green????

There's no way a green card is more powerful than a blue card I mean do you even play this game??? smh

• Locked thread