Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ah, I just assumed it was Gene. Because you know... knowing Roddenberry and his history.... I wouldn't exactly put it past him....

Roddenberry was definitely a horndog and he'd do his best to nail anything with two legs, but I just don't see him being a rapist, especially considering that in the '60s, TV executives -- like those at Desilu -- weren't exactly champions of gender equality. If Whitney said it was a Desilu exec, I'm inclined to take her at her word, especially since she had 24 years and a book released in the time after Gene's passing to say, "Yep, by the way, Gene raped me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The worst thing any Trek alum did was the time Shatner bleached his face, stalked that babysitter, and killed all her friends.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

WickedHate posted:

I think it's a normal success/failure ratio for any kind of huge event. Woodstock '99 was some poo poo. Pop culture conventions have just gotten a lot more popular in the past decade or so, so there's more attempts, and thus, more failures. Dashcon was the nadir.

If most are run like the one I run gaming at then everything is usually a cluster-gently caress and half the departments get nothing done until the month before the con.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Had birthday steak, followed by cake, followed by rad gifts.

Going to see Beyond in an hour; will provide a short, spoiler-free review later this evening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just got back from Beyond, loved it. There is a scene towards the end that caught me off guard and I absolutely teared up. You'll all know what I'm talking about once you see it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't if it's maybe because people are just used to the idea of these reboots now, but this is the most positive buzz I've heard from a Star Trek movie from the actual fanbase in a long time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't if it's maybe because people are just used to the idea of these reboots now, but this is the most positive buzz I've heard from a Star Trek movie from the actual fanbase in a long time.

Everyone is usually high on the newness of the thing for a week or two until people calm down and start to think about it, I can remember people telling me the last one was awesome right out of the gate too

Hype is illogical

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm torn between seeing it with friends tonight or waiting til the weekend to see it with my dad. The positive buzz this week has me really excited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I dunno, I haven't really heard praise heaped on it. Most things I've read say it's better than ID (which the reviews go on to say isn't hard), but falls short of the promised wonder and excitement of the first one.

One I read recently literally Insurrectioned it. It was called an 'ok episode.'

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008
I just got back from seeing Beyond. Overall it blew my expectations away. It's miles better than Into Darkness and I really liked all the subtle hints from the TOS and even some Enterprise references. I might even like it more than the first JJTrek....

My movie theater gave me the StarFleet blue patch from the movie and a poster to go with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ah, I just assumed it was Gene. Because you know... knowing Roddenberry and his history.... I wouldn't exactly put it past him....

Jesus Christ, I was gonna make a sarcastic post yesterday about Gene not possibly having ever done anything nice or forward-thinking because of course everyone knows he was an alcoholic plagiarizing serial rapist, but I decided not to kick the hornet's nest. Nice to see I didn't need to bother!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Just got back from Beyond, loved it. There is a scene towards the end that caught me off guard and I absolutely teared up. You'll all know what I'm talking about once you see it.

That whole scene was very touching and kicked me right in the nuts.

That said, the movie owned. Owned owned owned. The Yorktown was one of the best settings in any sci-fi movie, period, and the JJ-prise swarm destruction sequence was fantasically shot. The cinematography as a whole was amazing, too. Justin Lin knows how to do action. Definitely go see it this weekend, Star Trek goons. In 3D if you can. Tight storytelling, a lot of humor sprinkled in there, and fan service galore from drat near every iteration of the old movies and old TV series.

It didn't really have the galactic or planetary scale of the last two, but I don't feel that it hurt the overall story.

You've done well, Simon Pegg & Co. You've very done well, indeed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

My girlfriend has never seen any of the TOS era Trek films so she only vaguely understood why I had a tear running down my face.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Beyond is good Trek. Go see it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh, that came out today?

I genuinely had no idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kazinsal posted:

Oh, that came out today?

I genuinely had no idea.

Movies no long open on Fridays.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Varance posted:

Beyond is good Trek. Go see it.

Yuuuuuuuuup. I was in a screening with about 100 other people and a good majority of the crowd gave it strong applause after the credits started rolling.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you absolutely hated the first JJ trek will you still hate this one?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gonz posted:

The scene earlier in the film where Spock was eulogizing himself was 100% Quinto talking about Nimoy and turned me into a blubbery mess, and then the picture, and I rolled a few more tears. Beyond has a lot of heart.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crusher gets her dumb rear end kidnapped by Space Palestinians because apparently being a doctor means abandoning all sense of self-preservation and rushing immediately after a terrorist bombing to treat wounded. Pulaski would have never pulled this kind of poo poo.

As a side note, apparently Ireland will be reunified in 2024.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Crusher gets her dumb rear end kidnapped by Space Palestinians because apparently being a doctor means abandoning all sense of self-preservation and rushing immediately after a terrorist bombing to treat wounded. Pulaski would have never pulled this kind of poo poo.

That bit was actually banned in the UK I believe.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Baronjutter posted:

That bit was actually banned in the UK I believe.

The whole episode was. For context, at the time, the leader of the IRA wasn't allowed to use his own voice on TV and had to be overdubbed by a creepier one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fister Roboto posted:

Given Brexit I wouldn't be shocked if that turned out to be so

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Tsaedje posted:

The whole episode was. For context, at the time, the leader of the IRA wasn't allowed to use his own voice on TV and had to be overdubbed by a creepier one.

I'm Northern Irish by birth so enjoyed this little star trek segway into norn iron. I'm currently 29 and as a gay friendless nerd in high school watched the poo poo out of all star trek, it was an interesting ride to see things go downhill so fast in my teens, final season of voyager, nemesis (saw this in the cinema with a friend where we were the sole attendees) and so on! So I'm actually currently full of optimism about Bryan Fuller's new series (huge pushing daisies fan here) and also the Beyond reception at this early stage. Ultimately I am quite grateful that we aren't experiencing another 1969 - 1987 style wait!

Recently my partner did a "best of" Voyager run, I ducked in an out of this, as there are some I just wouldn't watch again, but it made me genuinely start to wonder about my choices over who I am spending the rest of my life with! Of all the Captains, Janeway is his favourite!

I have to admit to enjoying his commentary and how he identifies the multiple personalities of Janeway by her hairstyle (as a gay man would) going from early season severe bun to relaxed season 6 bob!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Tsaedje posted:

It was originally banned on BBC2 (and I don't think it was ever broadcast, however someone I knew claimed to see it on one of the last repeat runs), however Sky did show it, albeit with the 'unified in 2024' line removed.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
God drat it. I forgot that Beyond came out, so I checked the cinema schedule. Turns out it won't be released until October 21 in Japan. What the gently caress.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Folks who have seen STB: Without spoiling too bad, are there episodes of TOS or ENT, or TOS movies that could be watched in advance to add to the STB experience? Or are the references more general than specific?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I haven't seen beyond yet, but last week I rewatched the other two JJ movies. Star Trek '09 is still decent, Into Darkness is still godawful.

If it weren't for Nemesis I guess the whole "odd Star Trek movies bad, even ones good" rule would still be in effect. We got two bad ones in a row and that threw the whole thing off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't seen beyond yet, but last week I rewatched the other two JJ movies. Star Trek '09 is still decent, Into Darkness is still godawful.

If it weren't for Nemesis I guess the whole "odd Star Trek movies bad, even ones good" rule would still be in effect. We got two bad ones in a row and that threw the whole thing off.

We've retconned Galaxy Quest into the lineup so it works.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

Zaroff posted:

...albeit with the 'unified in 2024' line removed.

It's kind of funny this may be another Star Trek predicting the future bit, what with Brexit and new calls for Irish unification and Scottish independence.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

God drat it. I forgot that Beyond came out, so I checked the cinema schedule. Turns out it won't be released until October 21 in Japan. What the gently caress.

drat, I thought September in China was rough. At least it's coming at all, with the foreign movie quota here.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Folks who have seen STB: Without spoiling too bad, are there episodes of TOS or ENT, or TOS movies that could be watched in advance to add to the STB experience? Or are the references more general than specific?

I haven't yet seen all of TOS or ENT but the references in the film seemed quite general to me - references are made to some ENT stuff like the the birth of the Federation and the Xindi and Romulan wars.

Just got back from seeing Beyond and I really liked it. I think I liked it just about as much as the '09 Trek; it starts slow but then starts zipping along, the action is pretty good and the settings are really cool (Yorktown is bonkers). The way the crew end up beating the bad guys was dumb as all hell but also kinda loving great. Idris Elba was good and while I felt like the villain's background and motivation were really, really interesting, they were revealed way too late for there to be any real meaningful exploration of the moral conflict between him and the crew. If they'd not held onto those details for a third act reveal and instead had it all be known much earlier in the film, we could have got a great deal more debate and character work which I thought Beyond kinda needed.

Also, the new warp effect is really cool and the 'field' jackets that Kirk and Chekov get to wear are so snazzy! :swoon:

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008

Robutt posted:

I haven't yet seen all of TOS or ENT but the references in the film seemed quite general to me - references are made to some ENT stuff like the the birth of the Federation and the Xindi and Romulan wars.

I believe that they also say that Elba's character was a former MACO officer promoted to captain. When Kirk asks about the Franklin and how it got there Scotty says that some thought that the Romulans attacked it or that a giant green hand grabbed it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just saw Beyond, loved it. Easily the best of the Kelvin Timeline films.

The Franklin was awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gammatron 64 posted:

If it weren't for Nemesis I guess the whole "odd Star Trek movies bad, even ones good" rule would still be in effect.

That rule has never been in effect, since The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier are both great.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Timby posted:

That rule has never been in effect, since The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier are both great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUYN8bUJB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxk1BSQo8bg

Also there's the fact that the plot of Star Trek V is that Spock's brother comes out of nowhere, is a cult leader and gets 90% of the Enterprise crew to uncharacteristically betray their Captain. So the senior staff of the USS Enterprise was willing to help Kirk save Spock by stealing the Enterprise from Spacedock and at best throwing away their careers and at worst getting thrown in prison suddenly decide to throw that same Captain under the bus when some cult leader shows up. Okay.

Like, the entire film's purpose is just to fellate Shatner's ego and poo poo on the rest of the cast. Spock and Bones were going to turn on Kirk too originally, but Nimoy and DeForest Kelly refused to do the picture unless it was changed. Oh, also Captain Kirk beats up God himself.

However, with all that said, the Final Frontier still manages to be a better, more coherent and less insulting movie than Into Darkness. Somehow.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm willing to overlook some of the cringe-worthy parts of The Final Frontier (but there aren't many) considering David Loughery had less than a month to write the script.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tsaedje posted:

If the leader of the Army Council of the IRA was on television he would've been assassinated shortly after, your thinking of the spokespeople of Sinn Fein. The Oxygen of publicity law applied to all political groups deemed extreme in Northern Ireland, it was weird and pointless, and helped contribute to the continuation of violence since paramilitaries viewed it as a sign that the British government wasn't interested in negotiations. Which given that Thatcher once thought the Cromwell solution (mass ethnic cleansing) would being peace to the six counties, yeah they probably weren't.

I watched the episode again now TNG's back on Netflix and I'm impressed they tried to tackle terrorism, but its just abundantly clear that the writing team didn't really understand the subject at all. They also bungle the standard moral solution that TV trots out when trying to tackle violence. The ending has a kid refuse to shoot the officer of the police/army and that's portrayed as a positive step to ending the conflict, but the Enterprise crew have led the army into the rebels main base, got the leader killed, and he was running the whole show, so it looks like one side has triumphed through force of arms. So if we were to apply the message of the episode to Northern Ireland, we would learn that peace will come after the British Army decapitates the Republicans leadership and the survivors give up on a lost cause.

Which given how Trek usually deals with conflicts makes this episode a sort of anti Trek.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baka-nin posted:

I watched the episode again now TNG's back on Netflix and I'm impressed they tried to tackle terrorism, but its just abundantly clear that the writing team didn't really understand the subject at all.

Not the worst time America depicted the Troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

I'm willing to overlook some of the cringe-worthy parts of The Final Frontier (but there aren't many) considering David Loughery had less than a month to write the script.
Wasn't the entire concept from the earliest Genesis of this film that it was going to involve them meeting God? That's my main problem. The other crap in there isn't helping, but the entire concept is a terrible idea for a franchise like Star Trek.