Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
They're always moving the goalposts. Deadpool had that UFC woman in it kicking rear end but that doesn't count because she was hot and had cleavage. It also had Negasonic Teenage Warhead kicking rear end but that didn't count because she's hot and didn't have enough screen time and I can guarantee they didn't like whatshername from Firefly "being in peril"... Also she was hot.

They? Who are they? Some random straw-womyn... But I dunno, maybe e-mail whoever wrote that piece and ask why none of the above counts as examples of strong women in film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
As an aside I wonder what that person thinks about Harley Quinn as a character. She's clearly sexualised, yet kicks an almighty amount of rear end and I don't know any women (in real life, obviously) who don't completely loving love her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kate McKinnon is going to be so embarrassed when someone explains to her that licking a gun is something that you're only allowed to do if you're trying to titillate men. She's going to be so mad at Paul Feig for tricking her into doing that!!

Edit: whoa, someone better tell Tank Girl as well

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 22, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kate McKinnon is going to be so embarrassed when someone explains to her that licking a gun is something that you're only allowed to do if you're trying to titillate men. She's going to be so mad at Paul Feig for tricking her into doing that!!

Edit: whoa, someone better tell Tank Girl as well

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Someone remake Barb Wire but she's a 30-something woman who sits in her house all day in a baggy sweatshirt and she has 8 cats who she calls her babies please she knows karate and can kill a man at 50 yards but we don't show it because that's not what defines her

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how did she wait 30 years when this all time great action movie moment existed the year she was born??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
this is hilarious and a great read for all the "poor leslie jones" mopes ITT

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/20/double-standards-leslie-jones-racist-twitter-history/

like this loser vvvvvvvvv

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 22, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can't be racist against white people as it requires prejudice and power.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

hollywood star to a white trash yokel: "check ur privilege"

is it okay for me as an eastern european to be racist against black people because americans in general have power over me, and not vice versa

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Al Cowens posted:

Good job guys, we did it. Capitalism has been destroyed. Take that, toxic patriarchy.

https://archive.is/9U7nm
Another epic win for feminism.

What? Just.. what? The gently caress is this guy babbling about?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Groovelord Neato posted:

how did she wait 30 years when this all time great action movie moment existed the year she was born??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc

Pfft, whatever. Ripley had to use disparaging misogynist insults to try and look cool and she had to use a robot (no doubt designed by a man) to win her fight. Patriarchal trash.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
IAwardYouNoPointsAndMayGodHaveMercyOnYourSoul.meme

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

See if you drop a KKK member into the middle of Africa, he's no longer racist

Internaut! posted:

this is hilarious and a great read for all the "poor leslie jones" mopes ITT

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/20/double-standards-leslie-jones-racist-twitter-history/

The problem is that Twitter's moderation system is entirely reactionary instead of proactive, thus they don't take action against flagrantly rule-breaking tweets unless people report it. As a result enforcement is biased in favor of whichever side files the most reports.

Drunken Baker posted:

As an aside I wonder what that person thinks about Harley Quinn as a character. She's clearly sexualised, yet kicks an almighty amount of rear end and I don't know any women (in real life, obviously) who don't completely loving love her.

It's a power fantasy, both men and women like forms of escapism where they can see their impulses can go unpunished in the form of anti-heroes. Harley's also an abused girlfriend which is okay since it's the Joker.

Also different people have different opinions about things so it's kind of silly to generalize what feminists/MRAs like and don't like

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 22, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

She was a superhero, WITHOUT BEING SEXUALIZED.

Who are these people, that don't think sex is behind every goddamn action in the world? Why does she think women watch boxing, for the technique? Get the gently caress out of here.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Gammatron 64 posted:

What? Just.. what? The gently caress is this guy babbling about?

Bipolar schizophrenic. The worst of all worlds.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Uncle Wemus posted:

I dont think american liberals even know what being left wing means anymore

"I'm socially liberal, but economically conservative." = You are right

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Smg hasnt weighed in on gb2016 so i dont know what to think but i get the feeling all these trash sites might be full of poo poo

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Retelling the same stories over and over but changing it slightly to fit the times and catch the interest of the audience is pretty much the oldest form of storytelling and not a modern Hollywood invention.

It is actually good that we're doing it with movies now instead of just letting them age and become less and less relevant because "It's a CLASSIC, just watch the original version!" Some new versions will be bad, and people who already liked the old version will always resent the new one, but it's still good that this is happening. And no, it's not proof that culture and society is dying. It's not the new generation's fault that they're more interested in things made for them than in things made for their parents and grandparents.

movies don't become irrelevant with age though? visual effects age and messages can become irrelevant but its no guarantee. alien is still widely considered one of the best of form and its thirty fuckin years old. hell 2001 is fifty years old and watching both in 2016 the only weird thing about either of them is everything is a crt screen.

like yeah The Thing might look dated but you cant just remake a movie for the purpose of "making it for a new generation" because the original movie was not made in a vaccuum and trying to capture the feel of something that you did not create is an uphill battle that is never worth taking

unless you are so caught up in the now that product placement for products that don't exist anymore short circuits the 'must consume' circuit in your brain its a p dumb thing to say

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Did someone say a Short Circuit remake?

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

Smg hasnt weighed in on gb2016 so i dont know what to think but i get the feeling all these trash sites might be full of poo poo
I'll save you the wait and give you the skinny right now:
Bill Murray's underwhelming cameo is a takedown of libertarian ideals.
The recurring fart jokes are a commentary on persistent fears of impotence.
The obnoxious, over-colourful look of the film is actually good, and you'd understand that if you were a true cinéaste.
The film isn't garbage, it's a subtle parody of garbage films.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

nigga crab pollock posted:

movies don't become irrelevant with age though?

I don't know. Movies from the 30s-40s are pretty much just people talking for an hour and a half wearing hats and their pants pulled up to their nipples.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I had never seen Alien until recently, just the second one a bunch of times. The first one is really good too, definitely plays up the horror stuff. I am not looking forward to when they reboot Alien (you know they will announce an Alien reboot, if they haven't already).

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I don't know. Movies from the 30s-40s are pretty much just people talking for an hour and a half wearing hats and their pants pulled up to their nipples.

yeah thats because theyre twice as old as the old movies i used as example, as well as being mass produced by hollywood as cheap and fast as possible. silver age hollywood is a bad example home boy

also citizen kane is that old and it is both visually interesting and compelling still

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Casablanca is just people talking, so lame.

Did you know To Catch a Thief doesn't have a single 360 camera slo-mo crane kick?

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

And yet even that period has fantastic movies that would lose something for being remade today. Even with the same script and a talented director, would a Casablanca remake ever be as good or as successful as the one filmed in the shadow of WW2?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Will gb2016 even be in the top 3 tonight against star trek ice age and whateverthehell else

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

je1 healthcare posted:

See if you drop a KKK member into the middle of Africa, he's no longer racist

lmao no you see you forgot the second part of the racism definition that, literally every problem that has ever happened and will happen is white people's fault and they can't be anything but racists

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

yeah thats because theyre twice as old as the old movies i used as example, as well as being mass produced by hollywood as cheap and fast as possible. silver age hollywood is a bad example home boy

also citizen kane is that old and it is both visually interesting and compelling still

Oh, I agree. Movies out of the 70s up are still relevant. Maybe even back into the 60s. But I've made the argument before and some smug goon brings up some rare French movie in the Criterion collection that is a beautiful, well-acted masterpiece that could blow any movie made today out of the water and I was just cutting to the chase.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when they remake jaws there will be riots in the streets.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I remember someone in CD bitching about how maya from zero dark thirty didn't qualify as a strong female character either because she cried sometimes, along with how anyone involved with the war on terror is automatically a negative female role-model and can never be considered strong

i mean she is the person who irl had at least one guy kidnapped and tortured for a few years because his name sounded like the name of a suspected terrorist. nobody was taking her seriously because she was nuts and she probably got lucky or maybe seymour hersh was right and she actually didnt do anything to find bin laden lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Oh, I agree. Movies out of the 70s up are still relevant. Maybe even back into the 60s. But I've made the argument before and some smug goon brings up some rare French movie in the Criterion collection that is a beautiful, well-acted masterpiece that could blow any movie made today out of the water and I was just cutting to the chase.

buster keaton and charlie chaplin movies from the 1930s are funnier and more entertaining than Ghostbusters 2016, and you don't have to be a smug Cinema Goon to appreciate it.

relevant.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Deep blue sea was ok

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

movies don't become irrelevant with age though? visual effects age and messages can become irrelevant but its no guarantee. alien is still widely considered one of the best of form and its thirty fuckin years old. hell 2001 is fifty years old and watching both in 2016 the only weird thing about either of them is everything is a crt screen.

like yeah The Thing might look dated but you cant just remake a movie for the purpose of "making it for a new generation" because the original movie was not made in a vaccuum and trying to capture the feel of something that you did not create is an uphill battle that is never worth taking

unless you are so caught up in the now that product placement for products that don't exist anymore short circuits the 'must consume' circuit in your brain its a p dumb thing to say

I watched Citizen Kane a few years ago, and it's still a great movie. That's 1941. Psycho is still great, that's 1960. The Shining is 1980. Diehard is 1988. Heat is 1995. I can't imagine any of these films being remade better. A great movie doesn't need a redo. You might as well say that the Mona Lisa needs a redo, or the Sistine Chapel, or Macbeth.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

most movies are poo poo, we just remember the good ones

cutting to the chase, the old movies=bad mindset is basically to sell your dumb rear end remakes of movies and judging by your insightful criticism and followup backpedaling you are buying into that poo poo wholeheartedly without even thinking twice

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

some rare French movie in the Criterion collection that is a beautiful, well-acted masterpiece that could blow any movie made today out of the water

Like The Wages of Fear, or Les Diaboliques? Films like that aren't referenced because someone is an introverted film autist, they're referenced because they are fantastic cinema.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Al Cowens posted:

this is why ronda rousey should be in more movies imo

This.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i dont know how the ~foreign movies~ hate started but im blaming the french basically solely on one film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYB8hgyq4s

funny, definitely well made and visually interesting, but it like completely subverts traditional filmmaking to the point that it borders on unwatchable

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

XK posted:

Is it just me, or is this article straight up word salad?

Have to put that utterly useless BA in creative writing to use somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jaws will be a female in the remake. Sharks don't have many obvious secondary sexual characteristics, so they're going to put a bow and big eyelashes on it.

It's going to be a really empowering moment for women, communists, and Huffington Post columnists.

• Locked thread