Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I want Memphis to the Big XII so I will have a rooting interest because it seems like the conference race has been pretty exciting recently because there are like 10 teams who have a shot.

The 10 includes garbage fire programs like Kansas, Iowa State, and Texas so nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why is 16 the magic number? Why did we all decide in 2011 that this was the manifest destiny of college football? When is adding four MWC teams ever going to make sense for the PAC?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I think Texas still thinks it's too highbrow for the SEC. If they move I still think it would be to be the PAC, because they've flirted with it several times, and also where else is the PAC going to expand?

If the cable bubble bursts before the GOR is up there's no telling what will happen. The Big 12 might be more palatable in that world.

PAC would be a good place to land too. I assume the Longhorn Network will be dead once the cable bubble bursts. I mean, we do have espn locked in, but they'll want out so the only hurdle would be the PAC deal getting us as much money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tank44 posted:

SDSU in the PAC is like HOU in BXII. They make sense in the footprint but do not add new tvs.

Who officially accounts for the Houston TV market right now, Texas? I don't mean that to sound snarky, I just honestly don't know.

E: And I know Houston isn't going to have nearly the fanbase size Texas does, I'm asking this more from a broadcast perspective.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 21, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

Who officially accounts for the Houston TV market right now, Texas? I don't mean that to sound snarky, I just honestly don't know.

E: And I know Houston isn't going to have nearly the fanbase size Texas does, I'm asking this more from a broadcast perspective.

A&M. If you mean for the Big 12, the other four teams probably make up a pretty big share.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OK yeah I meant that from a B12 perspective, i know college station isn't far outside of town

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

OK yeah I meant that from a B12 perspective, i know college station isn't far outside of town

I mean, Houston is a formidable program, and I'm sure they draw a good amount of eyeballs when they're good, but if you're concerned about the carriage fee you'll be able to get for a hypothetical Big 12 Network in Houston, getting UH isn't going to give you appreciably more leverage than you already have with Texas/Tech/Baylor/TCU.

But like I've said, ten years from now the equation may be totally different and adding a good team for the sake of adding a good team might make sense again.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think if it's two it has to be:

1) BYU for the national name recognition and also because I really hate their guts and hate games are more fun
2) UCF because they are a massive school with an ever-growing alumni base, situated in a football state/recruiting hotbed. They have all the pieces to build something there, and the road games would give us more of an in with recruits from Florida.

...and if we don't stop there I say:

3) Tulane because they are a good academic school and it puts trips to NOLA on our schedule, which is pretty goddamn huge in a conference that is wanting for sweet road trip destinations. Plus it helps us make inroads in Louisiana recruiting.
4) I dunno, Memphis? Might as well get a foot in the door in another Deep South football state.

Houston is only acceptable if Baylor is gone, in which case I would love to see us make that trade. We don't need to dilute and divide this state any further, we need to expand our presence in recruiting hotbeds outside of it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
And if anyone still thinks adding Houston is the right move, consider this:

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/756151963947892736

If Greg Abbott is for it, you can be pretty sure it's a bad idea.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DJExile posted:

The anti-UH people argue Texas, Tech, and Baylor have a chokehold. In truth, who really accounts for Houston is Alabama.

There's some graphic floating around with a list of the twenty highest rated games last year. Of the top ten, six were SEC games - five were Alabama games and the sixth was A&M - two were Big 12 games (UT-OU and TCU-Baylor) and the other two were AAC games involving UH.

"Accounting for the market" and throwing your conference as far and wide as possible for the cable network is irrelevant anyway without a cable network.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Thermos H Christ posted:

And if anyone still thinks adding Houston is the right move, consider this:

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/756151963947892736

If Greg Abbott is for it, you can be pretty sure it's a bad idea.

Stick to being a terrible governor human being, Greg

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Korranus posted:

The anti-UH people argue Texas, Tech, and Baylor have a chokehold. In truth, who really accounts for Houston is Alabama.

There's some graphic floating around with a list of the twenty highest rated games last year. Of the top ten, six were SEC games - five were Alabama games and the sixth was A&M - two were Big 12 games (UT-OU and TCU-Baylor) and the other two were AAC games involving UH.

"Accounting for the market" and throwing your conference as far and wide as possible for the cable network is irrelevant anyway without a cable network.

Right. The Big 12 is clearly not getting a network so access to new markets doesn't really matter. What we should be targeting is the best quality programs that will attract the most eyeballs period. And to that effect the top teams available are BYU, Boise State, and Houston. The others aren't particularly close

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How the gently caress did Texas manage to elect a worse governor/human being than Rick Perry

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Greg Fenves just tweeted that he supports considering adding Houston to the Big 12.

For those who don't know, Fenves is UT's president. This could be interesting.

EDIT: McRaven just released a statement agreeing with Fenves on Houston.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 21, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Benne posted:

How the gently caress did Texas manage to elect a worse governor/human being than Rick Perry

Texans didn't vote for Wendy Davis because OBAMA

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Houston had one good season and everybody is acting like they've arrived for good. Recruiting grounds or no most schools who have a good year or two fade away once they lose their coach and/or a couple key players. They might end up being a permanent G5 fixture but they aren't there at the moment.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Benne posted:

Straight ticket voting

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The president of Texas has spoken. Congratulations, Houston fans. I wonder who the other 3 will be?

WVU needs a travelling partner, it should be either Memphis or Cinci.

If we don't stop at 12, then the other two depend on whether we bring in BYU or not. If its BYU, then I think #14 is CSU. If not, then UCONN and UCF

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Benne posted:

I never thought a day would come that I would loathe a politician more than him. But the current Lt. Governor makes me feel that easy every time he opens his mouth.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Neil Armbong posted:

I never thought a day would come that I would loathe a politician more than him. But the current Lt. Governor makes me feel that easy every time he opens his mouth.

Is it bad to hope Dan Patrick gets shot?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

And have him survive and become a neocon Messiah?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
For a long, long time I thought Dan Patrick was the Dan Patrick from ESPN because before he was Lt. Gov. they used to always mention that he was a radio personality in articles about him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dan Patrick is so bad that I didn't even vote for him.

I just left Lt. Gov. blank.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Texas hosed off and seceded. And took their lovely overrated football programs with them.

(We can make UH a micronation or something as long as they keep being cool and don't have any awful scandals.)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I'd rather he get busted cruising a men's room

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Sorry all, Baylor can't singlehandedly save the Big 12 this time... think twice before you cry rape due to a Hillary Clinton rumor. This is pathetic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Dropping into voice my support for UCF and Cincinnati.

gently caress all the other options.

Northjayhawk posted:

The president of Texas has spoken. Congratulations, Houston fans. I wonder who the other 3 will be?

WVU needs a travelling partner, it should be either Memphis or Cinci.

If we don't stop at 12, then the other two depend on whether we bring in BYU or not. If its BYU, then I think #14 is CSU. If not, then UCONN and UCF

WVU would ideally like Cincy and Memphis or Cincy and UCF/USF.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm becoming less against Memphis and Cinci. Not because I want them, but because they seem to be the least bad options available if the conference is dead set on expanding.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Big 12 South

Baylor
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia
AAC #1
AAC #2

Big 12 North

Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
BYU
Colorado State

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am admittedly not an expert on the rivalry but I don't think OU and Texas would agree to being split up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

I am admittedly not an expert on the rivalry but I don't think OU and Texas would agree to being split up.

There's no reason they can't just arrange the schedule so that they play every year. You don't even have to give everyone cross-divisional rivals, just say specifically "we'll figure out a way for Texas and OU to play every year no matter what." It's really what the SEC should have done with Bama-Tennessee (and fine, Georgia-Auburn too I guess).

No matter what teams they add or how many, if they want to create any semblance of balanced divisions they absolutely have to break up the original Big 12 South, there's no way around it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 22, 2016

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

General Dog posted:

There's no reason they can't just arrange the schedule so that they play every year. You don't even have to give everyone cross-divisional rivals, just say specifically "well figure out a way for Texas and OU to play every year no matter what."

Yeah exactly. The Pac12 did that so all the California schools play each other every year and to make sure everyone got a game in California every year. I'm sure it's a bitch to set up, but once you get the system rolling it should work just fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah BG and Toledo have been in separate divisions for a while now and we still play every year. It just means there are other cross-division teams we don't play as often.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DJExile posted:

Yeah BG and Toledo have been in separate divisions for a while now and we still play every year. It just means there are other cross-division teams we don't play as often.

This is a M A C T I O N post

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This is a M A C T I O N post

drat right :frogc00l:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DJExile posted:

drat right :frogc00l:

Yeah well, if things go sideways for the Big XII, Iowa State may be MACTION bound... :respek:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I hope they do not split up OU and Texas and we stay in the Big XII because, lmao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Benne posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I hope they do not split up OU and Texas and we stay in the Big XII because, lmao

Bowlsby traded you to the MAC for Miami in what he thought was a fleecing.

• Locked thread