Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jaws was already female as they grow larger than males.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

jaws was already female as they grow larger than males.

well this time it wont be sexualized

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Drunken Baker posted:

They're always moving the goalposts. Deadpool had that UFC woman in it kicking rear end but that doesn't count because she was hot and had cleavage. It also had Negasonic Teenage Warhead kicking rear end but that didn't count because she's hot and didn't have enough screen time and I can guarantee they didn't like whatshername from Firefly "being in peril"... Also she was hot.

They? Who are they? Some random straw-womyn... But I dunno, maybe e-mail whoever wrote that piece and ask why none of the above counts as examples of strong women in film.

its because none of these people have seen alien and their concept of strong female character is bits and pieces of what other people have said frankensteined together into an unattainable and unrealistic pedestal

i had a tumblrina ex and she got mad when i was playing through half life 2:ep2 and alyx gets mortally wounded cause 'of course u have to save the woman and she can't save herself' despite the fact that her character literally exists to save the white male player character from peril and its a sequel where they flip it around for a few chapters

its got nothing to do with actual portrayals of strong female characters or nuanced discussion people just want to get mad

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Have to put that utterly useless BA in creative writing to use somehow.

How could you graduate with writing like that? I wrote more coherent stuff in 6th grade.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If they remade Lawrence of Arabia the horses would be CGI and instead of his homosexuality being undertones and suggested half the dialogue would explicitly mention it.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Ha ha

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

nigga crab pollock posted:

its because none of these people have seen alien and their concept of strong female character is bits and pieces of what other people have said frankensteined together into an unattainable and unrealistic pedestal

i had a tumblrina ex and she got mad when i was playing through half life 2:ep2 and alyx gets mortally wounded cause 'of course u have to save the woman and she can't save herself' despite the fact that her character literally exists to save the white male player character from peril and its a sequel where they flip it around for a few chapters

its got nothing to do with actual portrayals of strong female characters or nuanced discussion people just want to get mad

So I guess if there is someone in trouble and needs to be rescued, we can't go help them if they have a vagina because that would make them a damsel in distress

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Theft of agency is the greatest crime

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

NihilismNow posted:

If they remade Lawrence of Arabia the horses would be CGI and instead of his homosexuality being undertones and suggested half the dialogue would explicitly mention it.

Lawrence of Arabia doesn't have a single line spoken by a woman and only a brief long shot of a group of women in the whole film. Good luck with that!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Im not gonna watch the new ghostbusters because I refuse to support homophobic racist productions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

Lawrence of Arabia doesn't have a single line spoken by a woman and only a brief long shot of a group of women in the whole film. Good luck with that!

That's why it's the greatest movie ever made.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Fister Roboto posted:

That's why it's the greatest movie ever made.

Well if lack of women is all it takes, The Thing has it beaten. Only somewhat female presence is a robotic voice on a computer.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ya but her acting makes The Rock look like Gielgud

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I think Resevoir Dogs has no women in it at all

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

City of Tampa posted:

The woman that shoots Tim Roth, and then he shoots back in the head.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

eSports Chaebol posted:

There's a woman at Lawrence's funeral, but yeah, there are no female speaking parts. The film's editor was female and she won an Oscar for it, though.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

City of Tampa posted:

I like 12 Angry Men because you know exactly what to expect

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

Those women are shrieking and ululating to inspire their men to kill Turks. They are pretty cool.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Internaut! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Pxh0lY9c4

She makes bad actress Michelle Rodriguez look like Rita Moreno

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can't be racist against white people as it requires prejudice and power.

A wealthy film star doesn't have any power?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Jennifer Lawrence of Arabia, coming to a theater near you in 2017!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Also Ripley has been my dream-girlfriend sense I first saw "Alien" when I was in like middle school. I did eventually settle down with a girl who can drive a forklift which I guess is sorta close. I guess.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's funny how wealthy white women are perhaps the most privileged people on earth, yet the feel a need to try and shame others for some "privilege"

Yep, that poor guy living in a trailer sure does lead a privileged life, not the millionaire actress

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's funny how wealthy white women are perhaps the most privileged people on earth, yet the feel a need to try and shame others for some "privilege"

Yep, that poor guy living in a trailer sure does lead a privileged life, not the millionaire actress

I like those guides on how to berate poor white trash forhaving things so good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gammatron 64 posted:

Life of privilege, according to wealthy Americans:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's funny how wealthy white women are perhaps the worst people on earth

I would legit rather hang out with a rabid racist southern man than a rich white woman

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Internaut! posted:

Well the Rock is awesome so I don't see a problem with this.

steinrokkan posted:

Life of privilege, according to wealthy Americans:

Oh man I want some of that Salami.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Wealthy white American women are poison.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh man I want some of that Salami.

Visit your local horse farm and ask for Boris.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3TDwa2cDOc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Are you kidding me? WHO CAN I KILL TO DESTROY THIS

Also amazingly the 2016 version is less progressive / sexually accepting than the original?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THISI IOS NOT OKAY, LET ME START A BLOG TO EXPLAIN WHY

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress YOU MOTHERFUCKRE

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I heard Tim Curry had a stroke.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

I heard Tim Curry had a stroke.

Somehow that happened before this piece of loving garbage

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought the glee attempt at Rocky Horror would be the worst trauma I would have to ever endure, but boy, I was loving wrong

let me spam this thread a bit more to let my outrage be known

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

at fifteen seconds..IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE THE REPLACEMENT FOR TIM CURRY??? AAAAAAAGH

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

many johnnys posted:

I had never seen Alien until recently, just the second one a bunch of times. The first one is really good too, definitely plays up the horror stuff. I am not looking forward to when they reboot Alien (you know they will announce an Alien reboot, if they haven't already).

It was called Prometheus.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

natetimm posted:

It was called Prometheus.

Uh, they are currently making the actual Alien remake or prequel or something.

(Prometheus was a good movie. fight me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BillmasterCozb posted:

at fifteen seconds..IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE THE REPLACEMENT FOR TIM CURRY??? AAAAAAAGH

Yes, replacing a transexual character with a woman is progressive now.

• Locked thread