Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Just pure art. I'm so glad for this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Onmi posted:

There's also the preview out of Captain Marvel debriefing her by saying "Bruce Banner is dead" and Jen somehow forgetting that she knew Bruce lost his powers as The Hulk

God Civil War 2 is definitely living up to the reputation of its predecessor.

Bruce Banner? My COUSIN, Bruce Banner?

No, Jen. Bruce Timothy Banner, the accountant from fifth. Who the gently caress else did you think it was going to be?

Onmi posted:

Just pure art. I'm so glad for this event.

Oh man they're straight up Minority Reporting them, now. At least in the Spidey spin he waited for the crime to actually commence. That said, there's no way Captain Marvel will 'lose' this conflict, so I'm interested to see the endgame here, trainwreck unable to look away etc :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WAR FOOT posted:

Bruce Banner? My COUSIN, Bruce Banner?

No, Jen. Bruce Timothy Banner, the accountant from fifth. Who the gently caress else did you think it was going to be?

Oh man they're straight up Minority Reporting them, now. At least in the Spidey spin he waited for the crime to actually commence. That said, there's no way Captain Marvel will 'lose' this conflict, so I'm interested to see the endgame here, trainwreck unable to look away etc :allears:

Ulysees kills or blinds himself and then Carol gets to lecture Tony about how he destroyed the life of an innocent who just wanted to help by being paranoid, then a giant invasion happens that Ulysees was on the verge of seeing and Tony dies during it, proving ultimately Carol was correct.

Or ya know, something stupid like that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, the things we know are that at the end of all this Tony will be off the board (whether dead or in hiding or in space or whatever), Carol will be "the most famous superhero in the world" (though again famous/infamous could be either), and Ulysses has to be gone, because his power is too plot-loving to remain around.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Tony will go insane and kill Ulysses and vanish/be killed leaving a pre-insanity version to be the hologram mentor of Riri. That's my wild prediction.

I don't think Captain Marvel will walk away from this looking at all worse than 'made some bad choices but it won't be held against her'

"X goes Insane" is also known as The Blizzard Plot

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They should do a spin off with Bruce and Xavier and a bunch of other dudes who have powers that nominally should bring them back from the dead instantly, and how they just hosed off to the middle of nowhere to hang out and dodge super powered bullshit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xavier did that with Magneto in that crappy Excalibur book after Avengers Disassembled.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They figure out Ulysses' master plan and Nick Fury and Maria Hill hide behind some clairvoyant proof glass, until he confesses and they step in to arrest him.

WAR FOOT posted:

Tony will go insane and kill Ulysses and vanish/be killed leaving a pre-insanity version to be the hologram mentor of Riri. That's my wild prediction.

I don't think Captain Marvel will walk away from this looking at all worse than 'made some bad choices but it won't be held against her'

"X goes Insane" is also known as The Blizzard Plot

The opportunity to have Tony be her Jarvis AI shouldn't be passed up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I haven't been reading Civil War 2, are we supposed to side with Carol on this?

Because if so, Marvel is now two for two on making the side they want us to go with look like the wrong side.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, I think they're still claiming it's meant to be ambiguous, but I'm pretty sure the idea is Iron Man is 'right'.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Much like Civil War 1, a lot of tie-ins are jumping the gun as to who's right or wrong and by how much.

I am so not stoked for another 8 years of heroes not trusting each other once this is over.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's kind of amazing to me that a 2.5 hour movie which has to devote half of it's time to having Superheroes fight still manages to present 2 compelling sides of an issue, whereas TWO comic series, which feature half a dozen tie-ins and dozens of pages of exposition can't. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard given the comparatively more time they could possibly spend on writing the conflict out for the comic, and yet here we are staring at 3 pages of a group of theoretically rational and moral individuals decided to guantanamo a kid in high school.

I know Superhero comics are suppose to be a bit hyperbolic but for gently caress's sake.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Roth posted:

Because if so, Marvel is now two for two on making the side they want us to go with look like the wrong side.

Going solely by the event book, yeah, Carol is right and Tony is a whiny baby. Going by tie-ins, its a bit more grey.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gaz-L posted:

No, I think they're still claiming it's meant to be ambiguous, but I'm pretty sure the idea is Iron Man is 'right'.

They had to go way out of their way to make Tony not come off as instantly right about people getting arrested for things they didn't do.

Including never having Tony mention that they are sending people to jail for things they didn't do, it just a whole bunch of gobedlygook about "The future has to happen or it's not the future, I know I'm a futurist."

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SirDan3k posted:

They had to go way out of their way to make Tony not come off as instantly right about people getting arrested for things they didn't do.

Including never having Tony mention that they are sending people to jail for things they didn't do, it just a whole bunch of gobedlygook about "The future has to happen or it's not the future, I know I'm a futurist."

And also having him be super upset that Carol has the gall to bring his best friend the career soldier on a mission to stop Thanos from getting a Cosmic Cube, when clearly she should have ignored the intel and just...let him get the Cube?

It's definitely gotten more reasonable in issue 3 but prior to that he was just completely illogical.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's been a bunch of future-seeing characters before and none of them led to minority report bullshit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lurdiak posted:

There's been a bunch of future-seeing characters before and none of them led to minority report bullshit.

None of them had handwavey "immune to mindreading" stuff making them unverifiable, either.

Tony's actual point, which it took him way too long to verbalize, is that we shouldn't trust these visions because for all we know Ulysses is a Doombot or Kang or some other evil thing leading us to death. He even says in 3 I think that everyone agrees they should listen to him when he says an extinction level event is coming, in direct opposition to him being mad they went to go fight Thanos. Its everything short of that he's against, which is a very reasonable position to take.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Roth posted:

Which side looks like the "right" side exactly?
One side is full Minority Report, and the other side is pretty much performing acts of war on an entire species over an idiotic hissy fit.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

They should do a spin off with Bruce and Xavier and a bunch of other dudes who have powers that nominally should bring them back from the dead instantly, and how they just hosed off to the middle of nowhere to hang out and dodge super powered bullshit.

"What if: The Avengers Got Sent to the Farm"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

SilverSupernova posted:

Which side looks like the "right" side exactly?
One side is full Minority Report, and the other side is pretty much performing acts of war on an entire species over an idiotic hissy fit.

I imagine the eureka moment during the pitch meeting involved someone jumping to their feet, sending their chair clattering across the room and exclaiming "We can make both sides unconscionable assholes!" and then a slow clap builds into raucous applause and deafaning cheers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I...don't like this?

Even as a standalone story, divorced from the expectations of being a tie-in event...it's very heavy-handed. Almost arbitrarily so, and maybe even to the point of being out-of-character for Kamala. The whole "no lawyer" thing seems to be nonsensically thrown in just to make this seem as unsupportable as possible, y'know, just in case we didn't get the point yet.

As an in-universe tie-in to the Civil War II event, this is an awful representation of the situation and circumstances surrounding that plot. I'm reminded of Luke Cage being attacked in his home despite nothing in the main book (or anywhere else) saying that's how the SHRA works, or Spider-Man getting told the exact opposite information in two different books that are supposed to depict the same scene. In this context it's almost even more jarring, if at all possible, because up until this point there's been no mention of any new laws or regulations whatsoever about pre-crimes in this or any other book.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Roxane Gay is writing a Wakanda book about the Dora Milaje, making her the first ever black woman writer at Marvel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I...don't like this?

Even as a standalone story, divorced from the expectations of being a tie-in event...it's very heavy-handed. Almost arbitrarily so, and maybe even to the point of being out-of-character for Kamala. The whole "no lawyer" thing seems to be nonsensically thrown in just to make this seem as unsupportable as possible, y'know, just in case we didn't get the point yet.

As an in-universe tie-in to the Civil War II event, this is an awful representation of the situation and circumstances surrounding that plot. I'm reminded of Luke Cage being attacked in his home despite nothing in the main book (or anywhere else) saying that's how the SHRA works, or Spider-Man getting told the exact opposite information in two different books that are supposed to depict the same scene. In this context it's almost even more jarring, if at all possible, because up until this point there's been no mention of any new laws or regulations whatsoever about pre-crimes in this or any other book.

It's not like the thing can work with laywers existing. No lawyer in the world is going to go "So you arrested my juvenile client on charges from an unsubstantiated report from a single individual who claims his psychic powers told him so?" without seeing green dollar signs on literally everything.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ImpAtom posted:

It's not like the thing can work with laywers existing. No lawyer in the world is going to go "So you arrested my juvenile client on charges from an unsubstantiated report from a single individual who claims his psychic powers told him so?" without seeing green dollar signs on literally everything.

And maybe later issues will describe Maria Hill setting up a Ulysses PreCrime Taskforce or some poo poo, but there's been no inkling of that so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Roxane Gay is writing a Wakanda book about the Dora Milaje, making her the first ever black woman writer at Marvel.

It's actually apparently an anthology book, and her story's about the Midnight Angels, AKA the elite/renegade Dora Milaje from Coates' current run. Which is great, more diversity in titles and creators is awesome, and I really like the Angels, but on the other hand... this means Black Panther has to ACTUALLY be about the Black Panther, and TNC's run has made him the least interesting and least important part of the book so far.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gaz-L posted:

It's actually apparently an anthology book, and her story's about the Midnight Angels, AKA the elite/renegade Dora Milaje from Coates' current run. Which is great, more diversity in titles and creators is awesome, and I really like the Angels, but on the other hand... this means Black Panther has to ACTUALLY be about the Black Panther, and TNC's run has made him the least interesting and least important part of the book so far.

No it doesn't, the Midnight Angels will probably still feature heavily into BP.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Especially considering she's writing an anthology book (which means I'm probably not gonna read it because...anthology comics...blech.) it should have little to no direct impact on TNC's run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anthology comics are great. There should be more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I...don't like this?

In case it was not clear. When I said it was pure art. I was being sarcastic. This event is a god drat loving mess, just like the first Civil War. Marvel has learned NOTHING.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Confirmed at SDCC, the new Nova book will feature both Sam Alexander and Richard Ryder teaming up.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I haven't picked up Civil War #2 or #3, so hopefully, hopefully, those two issues do a better job of fleshing out Carol's point of view on all of this. Seems though I'm fooling myself based on the responses in this thread. Hmm.

I can deal with a lovely story, but I hope this ends with gigantic blowback against Carol (and SHIELD? Is Carol's operation with Ulysses a SHIELD program?), because as it's being presented it's just comically evil what they are doing.

More importantly, there needs to be blowback on the Inhumans as well. The released a worldwide chemical/gas across the world, they decimated the mutant population, and now they have are protecting someone who is being used to prevent crimes that whether or not they may or may not happen, they haven't occurred at the time of the capture/arrest. I like the Ms. Marvel book but drat that tie-in is terrible.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I haven't picked up Civil War #2 or #3, so hopefully, hopefully, those two issues do a better job of fleshing out Carol's point of view on all of this. Seems though I'm fooling myself based on the responses in this thread. Hmm.

I can deal with a lovely story, but I hope this ends with gigantic blowback against Carol (and SHIELD? Is Carol's operation with Ulysses a SHIELD program?), because as it's being presented it's just comically evil what they are doing.

More importantly, there needs to be blowback on the Inhumans as well. The released a worldwide chemical/gas across the world, they decimated the mutant population, and now they have are protecting someone who is being used to prevent crimes that whether or not they may or may not happen, they haven't occurred at the time of the capture/arrest. I like the Ms. Marvel book but drat that tie-in is terrible.
Carol is supposed to become "The most famous hero in the world" and the the world hates mutants remember, Inhumans will be heroes.

I believe Bendis just did a thing with IGN where he was like "Nobody's taken Carol's side." And I have no idea if the context was in-universe, or out of universe, or if it was confused or happy. Or just a statement of facts. But I feel like my only response is "No poo poo."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm so tired of all these civil wars

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Confirmed at SDCC, the new Nova book will feature both Sam Alexander and Richard Ryder teaming up.

It's Rider, not Ryder!

But yay, I'm glad Rich is back! Him mentoring Sam should be great.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
There's been a very poor attempt to paint carol as the "just following orders" type of military leader.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ferrule posted:

There's been a very poor attempt to paint carol as the "just following orders" type of military leader.

She does have a history of that, but it seems like it's something you'd downplay if you want anyone at all to root for her or like her.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

She does have a history of that, but it seems like it's something you'd downplay if you want anyone at all to root for her or like her.

Right. What I meant was either go all out with it or not at all. It's so half-assed that it's comical.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Literally the only thing I appreciate (Or would appreciate if they more obviously pointed it out.) Stark tried the whole "Futurist" thing. It didn't work and hosed up multiple times. So he should, from experience, be the one to go "No, this is dumb and it's not going to work."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm glad Dick Rider is back.

I'm also not glad Civil War 2 has been complete poo poo. It's a drat shame because the art is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
While I do think CW II is pretty bad, I do wonder if it'll read better a year from now for new Marvel readers if they read CWII on its own without reading tie ins at the same time. The main series isn't great (but does have pretty art) but what really kills it for me is the aforementioned inconsistency in tie ins where I don't know if Captain Marvel is supposed to be using Ulysses responsibly to stop things like Thanos, or is she arresting black people for precrime because Ulysses is racist and Carol's an idiot. The main series doesn't have much of the latter, but the tie ins all take it as gospel that the latter is happening so I guess that's how I'm supposed to read the main series?

But for readers who read it on its own in a year without reading all the tie in issues at the same time, maybe CWII will be a whole lot less messy. It probably still won't be good but at least it'll make more sense.

• Locked thread