Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I want y'all to work Spider-Man's shoes into this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really wish they'd hired Lucy Lawless to be Hippolatia, because then I could work out some sort of fanficcy/headcannon thing about Wonderwoman being a relative of Xena.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grendels Dad posted:

Drifter posted:

I really wish they'd hired Lucy Lawless to be Hippolatia, because then I could work out some sort of fanficcy/headcannon thing about Wonderwoman being a relative of Xena.

100% agreed. Perfect casting choice.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Drifter posted:

Ehh, that's a bit too on the nose. Robin Wright is pretty good at playing clinical brutality, which seems fitting for an immortal warrior queen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:stare: :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^
:unsmigghh:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ehh, that's a bit too on the nose. Robin Wright is pretty good at playing clinical brutality, which seems fitting for an immortal warrior queen.

I don't want her to play Xena...but I think Lucy Lawless is pretty cool, the xena history would just be a little bonus coincidence unrelated to the actual movie.

Robin Wright's super dope, at least. Lucy Lawless, though. :allears::3:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wonder Woman just keeps looking better and better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's a higher res image of the WW poster.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That breastplate is just about as ridiculous as the Power Rangers.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

Those breast pockets are where she keeps her lunch and wallet.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That's a really good poster.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not quite.

Those are still bad, for the record, but you under sell how loving stupid the Power Ranger breast armor is-

Look at that! Look at that! Not only do her boobs come out way past her face and are twice the size of her head, that's not even how ridiculous they should look!

While she is in a profile shot with the others, down to her shoulders, her chest has been magically altered to be turned slightly towards the camera to try and hide how ridiculously over done that chest armor is. It's like a Rob Liefeld picture brought to life

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

I'm just going to take a minute and be glad that her armor does not have pauldrons.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grendels Dad posted:

Red Chuck Taylor's with white laces, only instead of the star logo, Spidey's head.
The soles have his chest spider logo.

Ah now the men have breast plates as well, finally some equality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wyoming posted:

Red Chuck Taylor's with white laces, only instead of the star logo, Spidey's head.
The soles have his chest spider logo.

Honestly think the Spider-Man costume on film would look dope if it added some Chucks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly think the Spider-Man costume on film would look dope if it added some Chucks.

Would the science of him sticking to walls still work through that thick rubber sole?
:agesilaus:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm just going to take a minute and be glad that her armor does not have pauldrons.

Or giant purple tumors.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Little correction, Robin Wright is playing Hippolyta's sister Antiope, Connie Nielsen is the Queen herself.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 22, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

McSpanky posted:

Little correction, Robin Wright is playing Hippolyta's sister Antiope, Connie Nielsen is the Queen herself.

Oh, drat. Lucilla's playing Hippolyta? That works, too.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

teagone posted:

First clip from Suicide Squad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM20Q2_9KkM

Go get it gurrrrl. Aww yeah, The Wall is so badass :allears: Also really digging the CG effects for Enchantress.

I really like the effect they got going on for her transformation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I wish they had cast Grace Jones as an Amazon in WW.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Breast armor aside, I sure am glad they made a new live action Bio-Booster Armor: Guyver film. I wonder if Solid Snake will be in this one.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing how your power/freedom distinction doesn't just boil down to exalting Christ as a priviledged symbol.

This is because you are conceiving of things purely in terms of resistance to (state) power, "freedom from power", when what Christ stands for is ultimately dictatorship of the proletariat (aka the kingdom of heaven) which is power to the people.

When Christ dies on the cross, what dies is the idea that there is any excuse for suffering, that there is a meaning to it. That's the freedom: not 'freedom from power' but freedom from excuses. See, for example, Guardians Of The Galaxy - there is this message that all this suffering was worth it because it has brought the heroes together against the cancerous outsider. Peter Quill gets a vision of his mother, dead of cancer, smiling down on them as the villain is burned alive... This same thing evident in your own assertion that Gwen had to die in order for Parker to learn a lesson in humility.

As a contrast, Batman (in Dawn Of Justice) is freed to become either a Pauline figure, organizing the community believers against the capitalist threat, or to become a simple Fascist. The very openness of 'what will happen next', the awareness of the danger, is the point of the film:

"Tomorrow, after my death, some men may decide to establish Fascism, and the others may be so cowardly or so slack as to let them do so. If so, Fascism will then be the truth of man, and so much the worse for us. In reality, things will be such as men have decided they shall be. Does that mean that I should abandon myself to quietism? No." -Sartre

Your mistake with regards to Christ is to say 'the meek will inherit the Earth' means it is a historical inevitability, we need only sit and wait. What this misses is that "everything that has to happen ALREADY HAPPENED, there is nothing to wait for, we do not have to wait for the Event, for the arrival of Messiah, the Messiah has already arrived, the Event already took place, we live in its aftermath. [...] And what is difficult, but crucial, to grasp is how this stance, far from condemning us to passive reflection, opens up the space for active intervention." Zizek

In other words, we already know about the kingdom of heaven. And we know there is no excuse for not attempting to actualize it. So Christ does not (and will not ever) literally rise from the dead. That is the point of the Lazarus myth: God is powerless, weeping, unable to help Lazarus at all. The death of Lazarus prefigures the literal death of God, who 'rises from the dead' not as a living man but as the holy spirit, the community of believers.

At the end of Superman 1978, Superman is forced into one of those dilemmas where, in order to save millions of lives, he must leave Lois Lane to be crushed and suffocated to death. Marlon Brando's giant floating head appears and basically explains that, unfortunate as it is, this is all part of the natural course of human history. Superman then tells the big floating head to gently caress off, and rips a massive hole in spacetime. This should not be mistaken as a 'happy ending' where the hero is simply given whatever he wants. It is rather a moment of incredible violence, where Superman 'pulls the brake on the train of history'. This goes beyond the classic Sartrean dilemma (the young man torn between helping his mother or fighting for his country), because Superman's answer is really an obscene "neither!"

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
That WW breastplate is looking pretty Liefeld-y if anything

whoops, beaten by the guy talking about Power Rangers

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gabriel Luna has been cast as Ghost Rider... in Agents of Shield.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not even one of the cool Ghost Riders.

The lovely one who drives a car

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Robbie Reyes is the best.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

Gabriel Luna has been cast as Ghost Rider...

Oh, nice, a Ghost Rider Netflix series could be really-

The MSJ posted:

in Agents of Shield.

Oh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Gabriel Luna has been cast as Ghost Rider... in Agents of Shield.
Here's the teaser:
https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/status/756639980286533632

Burkion posted:

Not even one of the cool Ghost Riders.

The lovely one who drives a car

This article has a photo of the car.

That's no ghostrider, that's a ghostdriver. :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

But you can ghostride a car.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

more importantly, a whip.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Rocket and Groot are going to space! They'll be featured on an upcoming NASA mission patch, complete with Marvel logo. Can't wait for the Stan Lee cameo.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/756636794880352257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This article has a photo of the car.

That's no ghostrider, that's a ghostdriver. :colbert:

This comment on that article is a hell of a thing

quote:

I barely choked my way through Daredevil and Jessica Jones, other than the superb production value, I still have yet to understand why people like either so much. And the movies are okay, but AoS has provided the most comic-booky thing in the MCU by a long shot (with maybe only the first Avengers coming remotely close) considering that it pulls in elements from the MCU as a universe, where almost all of the movies could be understood wholly in isolation, which seems like such a huge waste considering the potential it has.

AoS also has its characters going for it, which aside from maybe Stark or Zemo from CW (both largely due to Downey and Bruhle’s respective performances), are magnitudes more interesting than anything that’s come out of the movies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I keep seeing a bunch of articles talking about how Luc Besson showed stuff from Valerian at ComicCon and it received a standing ovation (not that that is much of a metric) and I really hope they release it to everyone else. They probably won't, though, because the VFX were apparently not very close to being done.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This comment on that article is a hell of a thing

I like AGENTS most of all Marvel's offerings :shrug: It moves between thematically light and heavy, goes to some very weird places, and things happen constantly.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

cvnvcnv posted:

I like AGENTS most of all Marvel's offerings :shrug: It moves between thematically light and heavy, goes to some very weird places, and things happen constantly.

This guy... is not my kind of guy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In other words, we already know about the kingdom of heaven. And we know there is no excuse for not attempting to actualize it. So Christ does not (and will not ever) literally rise from the dead. That is the point of the Lazarus myth: God is powerless, weeping, unable to help Lazarus at all. The death of Lazarus prefigures the literal death of God, who 'rises from the dead' not as a living man but as the holy spirit, the community of believers.

The community of believers which pillaged the world in his name, and with the plunder created this thing we call "capitalism"? All while killing each other over whose Christianity was authentic?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 23, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

The community of believers which pillaged the world in his name, and with the plunder created this thing we call "capitalism"? All while killing each other over whose Christianity was authentic?

Of course not; those people still believe in God!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Word on twitter is the Wonder Woman trailer is 2min45s and will be released tomorrow later today. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Oh, nice, a Ghost Rider Netflix series could be really-

Oh.

If he's just a one-off or minor recurring character on AoS, he'll almost certainly get a Netflix show. It's TV and movies where never the twain shall meet, not different branches of TV; the problem is Perlmutter not wanting to work with the rest of Marvel, and both AoS and Netflix Marvel are in his toybox.

• Locked thread