Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I guess I can take I am Setsuna off my wishlist. Dammit, I was looking forward to it and I heard it was merely okay but what ImpAtom said makes it sound unfun.

If it was a $20 RPG I would say give it a shot because it might scratch an itch for you. At $40 I really can't.

Like if you absolutely needed a JRPG and had nothing else new to play then it would be fine. Unexceptional but fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Anyway, it's a game with no engaging gameplay, limited and repetitive environments, and a story that it is difficult care about, which revolves around characters who are neither interesting nor serve the plot very well. The best you could say is that it nails a certain melancholy mood with the piano music and the snow, but personally I think that a game that isn't actually good in any way isn't really worth playing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

i'm pretty sure neptunia re;birth1 is better than victim of xen

I said some, not all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can someone remind me what the upcoming Valkyrie Profile clone game was that had all the super weird character models? It's not Indivisible but something that got announced earlier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rascyc posted:

Can someone remind me what the upcoming Valkyrie Profile clone game was that had all the super weird character models? It's not Indivisible but something that got announced earlier.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/25/exist-archive-the-other-side-of-the-sky-launches-october-18-on-ps4-ps-vita/

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am Setsuna would still be overpriced at 20 imo. 10-15 is fair for what it is.

Rascyc posted:

Exist Archive?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yessssss that's the one. That's my Setsuna. I want it to be great but I suspect is going to be unadulterated poo poo.

There's Fallen Legion too I guess. Haven't looked too much into that one though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Verranicus posted:

A friend loaned me his console copy, I've played it.

Seriously though, I've played some RPG Maker games that were better than the stuff Compile Heart churns out.

you really are a dumb motherfucker huh

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i dont like setsuna just for being another game marketed as 'inspired by x' that proceeds to steal everyone from x. (strike)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

what is the best version of the first 3 dragon quest games to play

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The environment and dungeon design is bad. There are like four tile sets (Snowy forest, snowy mountain, snowy village, ruins) in the entire game and none of them are distinctly memorable

This kind of echoes a complaint I had about Bravely Default, a game I otherwise loved. It had a better tileset variety than I Am Setuna, but god drat were the dungeons boring. Once I turned off random encounters during the loops, it got even more obvious just how bland each and every dungeon was. I don't know if I can even remember a dungeon that involved hitting switches or even the slightest amount of interaction--just hallways from start to finish. I might be forgetting one or two decent dungeons, but I really can't think of any.

It's definitely more pronounced in Setsuna because of the limited tilesets. I'm still enjoying the game but the tileset limitations are getting really glaring. Did they have a budget of $200 or something?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

Stux or Verrancious, sophie's choice

Eh, stux is actually fun to play games with if you ever have the pleasure. Verranicus I can't speak for.

I will say that if I was stuck in a 9/9/9-like situation with stux, Verranicus, oxxidation, VirtualBoyColor, and endorph, I'd off myself asap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

i dont like setsuna just for being another game marketed as 'inspired by x' that proceeds to steal everyone from x. (strike)

It's really loving blatant too.

Oh look, the hero's ultimate weapon is RAINBOW SWORD. The last character you get is a scythe-wielding reoccuring antagonist who uses the spell Dark Matter. Spells have names that only make sense if you assume they're references. It's just loving sad.

Bravely Default worked because it used the Final Fantasy references but didn't bathe itself in them. The plot didn't revolve around Nimbus Discord as he joins ROCKSLIDE to help battle the evil Shino Corporation who are trying to steal Mana from the Earth.

Harrow posted:

This kind of echoes a complaint I had about Bravely Default, a game I otherwise loved. It had a better tileset variety than I Am Setuna, but god drat were the dungeons boring. Once I turned off random encounters during the loops, it got even more obvious just how bland each and every dungeon was. I don't know if I can even remember a dungeon that involved hitting switches or even the slightest amount of interaction--just hallways from start to finish. I might be forgetting one or two decent dungeons, but I really can't think of any.

Yeah, BD had pretty weak dungeons. It's a serious flaw with it even in BS where you have to repeat those dungeons.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Bravely Default was basically the FF job system but then the rest of the game was its own thing. I haven't played Setsuna but it seems like maybe they should have aimed for something along those lines but with Chronotrigger.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

I don't know if I can even remember a dungeon that involved hitting switches or even the slightest amount of interaction--just hallways from start to finish. I might be forgetting one or two decent dungeons, but I really can't think of any.

There's a dungeon in Chapter 2, before you fight the unwinnable encounter, which has crystals you interact with to open and close doors. The dungeon in Ancheim's clock tower has the exit right at the start, but you need to find two switches to open it up.

A couple of dungeons also had hazards that could blind/poison/damage you, so it has that going for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Bravely Default was basically the FF job system but then the rest of the game was its own thing. I haven't played Setsuna but it seems like maybe they should have aimed for something along those lines but with Chronotrigger.

To be fair they kind of did. The game itself isn't Chrono Trigger really except for a single dumb plot twist that makes no sense.

Instead of it's Final Fantasy X to an almost painful degree, with at best some slight shuffling of character traits. (They effectively divided Auron into two characters for example.) Which doesn't do anything for the comparisons really because why are you making near-constant callbacks to Chrono Trigger when your core plot is inspired by FFX?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Verranicus posted:

People are just upset because they built their hopes up on the game. It's a solid title if you need a JRPG fix. It's getting 7.5/10 almost across the board, this thread just hates anything that isn't excessively anime or made by NIS/Compile Heart/Shadow Hearts 2.
wait, wait, back the gently caress up. excessively anime or made by compile heart? those two things are mutually exclusive?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
no please don't back this car up let's get away from that post asap

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I will say that if I was stuck in a 9/9/9-like situation with stux, Verranicus, oxxidation, VirtualBoyColor, and endorph, I'd off myself asap.
my only crime, is liking neptunia

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Default worked because it used the Final Fantasy references but didn't bathe itself in them. The plot didn't revolve around Nimbus Discord as he joins ROCKSLIDE to help battle the evil Shino Corporation who are trying to steal Mana from the Earth.

Really, it's hard to compare the two, reference-wise, because Final Fantasy is a series where every main game takes place in a different world (with a couple recent exceptions) so really if they just changed Bravely Default's name to "Final Fantasy: Subtitle" nobody would've batted an eye. So of course all its spell names and item names come from Final Fantasy--it pretty much is a Final Fantasy, just without the moogles and chocobos.

I wonder if the intention with Setsuna was to have a similar effect, like if the Chrono pseudo-series started branching out to different settings each time like Final Fantasy does. It'd keep all the spell names and some core mechanics but otherwise be a new world. Except Setsuna really does get pretty outright slavish with it, and the "hey, you guys liked Magus, right?" character is just the most blatant of it all.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

voltcatfish posted:

NES. If you're gonna play something outdated and old school, go all the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I wonder if the intention with Setsuna was to have a similar effect, like if the Chrono pseudo-series started branching out to different settings each time like Final Fantasy does. It'd keep all the spell names and some core mechanics but otherwise be a new world. Except Setsuna really does get pretty outright slavish with it, and the "hey, you guys liked Magus, right?" character is just the most blatant of it all.

I really can't help but wonder that, yeah. If the original idea was to make the Bravely Default of Chrono Trigger and at some point the idea got swapped to be more generic.

I think it hurts that it doesn't have a thematic 'core' to it that feels CTish. Bravely Default feels like a Final Fantasy game. I am Setsuna feels like... a Final Fantasy game with a CT battle system. It's melancholy and melodramatic and all elements I associate a lot more with FF than CT.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

wait, wait, back the gently caress up. excessively anime or made by compile heart? those two things are mutually exclusive?

Well I mean there are obnoxiously anime RPGs besides the ones the Compile Heart lovely RPG Factory shits out to keep up its moe quota.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hey. Hey guess what else I found before I stopped playing last night.

INVISIBLE BLOCKS FULL OF CASH.

hubris.height posted:

end me scoob
don't you dare do this to me, end me scoob

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

no please don't back this car up let's get away from that post asap
i should have listened to you, and im sorry

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

NES. If you're gonna play something outdated and old school, go all the way.

Nah, the SNES versions at least playable whereas the NES ones are largely not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

my only crime, is liking neptunia

A capital offense

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kanfy posted:

Nah, the SNES versions at least playable whereas the NES ones are largely not.

Yeah, don't play NES DQ1.

Unless you like mandatory hours and hours of grinding. The remakes still force a bunch of grinding, but the NES version is absolutely soul-crushing in the amount required.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lotish posted:

A capital offense

This, but unironically.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What is the best Neptunia game to start with?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

SNES versions no question. Also while I haven't played the mobile ports of 1&2, 3's is really good if you'd like to play it there.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

WrightOfWay posted:

The first one, probably, though they're all terrible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Ceramics posted:

SNES versions no question. Also while I haven't played the mobile ports of 1&2, 3's is really good if you'd like to play it there.

No way, GBC ports. They rebalanced a bunch of stuff that makes the first two games so much more playable. AFAIK the SNES version of 1 at least is still slow going.

If the mobile ports are based on the GBC ports those are fine too probably.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Verranicus posted:

The first one, probably, though they're all terrible.

No the first one is genuinely a million times worse than the others.

WrightOfWay posted:

V II is the closest to being an actual good game, but it's like the fourth in the series, if you just wanna see if the humour is your thing grab ReBirth 2 or 3 when they're on sale. Don't bother with RB1 or the PS3 versions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If you're gonna play Re;Birth you might as well start with the first one, they're not dramatically different.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zore posted:

Yeah, don't play NES DQ1.

Unless you like mandatory hours and hours of grinding. The remakes still force a bunch of grinding, but the NES version is absolutely soul-crushing in the amount required.

Agreed. But if you're playing the first DQ, you have to be playing it mostly for historic value. So it should be seen in all of it's ancientness.

I recommend a NES emulator with a speed up function for the grinding.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Or just save brain cells and don't play neptunia at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kanfy posted:

If you're gonna play Re;Birth you might as well start with the first one, they're not dramatically different.

Eh, I guess but 1's translation is pretty meh and it gets even more grindy. Also it has no story links to the others, so.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dude we get it, you don't like Neptunia. A lot of people don't either, but they don't hammer on about how the series stole their place in the line when shopping or broke into your house and ate all your cereal like you do.

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah as others said, go with the GBC versions. They're better balanced, have a better interface and are more playable, though they're still grindy. The best version of 4 is the mobile version, sadly since it has Party Chat which the DS version cut out. DS or mobile versions of 5 and 6 are fine really and if you want something a little different the PS2 version of 5 has a fan translation but lacks some of the features of the DS version. Wait for the 3DS release of 7 because the PS1 version is a pain to play now, 8 has the PS2 version being the most technologically superior but the upcoming 3DS version has more content so it's a tradeoff and you only have one option for 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Agreed. But if you're playing the first DQ, you have to be playing it mostly for historic value. So it should be seen in all of it's ancientness.

I recommend a NES emulator with a speed up function for the grinding.

People play old games all the time for various reasons, if one wants to play the very original version despite better ones existing then that's fine but saying that's what they "should" play is total nonsense.