Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The docking clamps in particular look like really poor early 2000's low-budget CGI. ENT had better CGI than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom12255 posted:

It makes me think that CBS is giving them barely any money to do anything.

I've assumed this to be the case ever since it was announced to be exclusive to All Access.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Apparently there was a teaser trailer, at least. Looks like it's already on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Yeesh, this CGI looks pretty bad.

Yeah that looks like something a fan would have whipped up and posted to scifimeshes.com circa 2003. Completely underwhelming and fugly looking at that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gnome de plume posted:

The drive section with the large wing-like pylons makes it look like a TOS Klingon warship.

I thought it looked pretty Klingon too. Maybe a Federation ship run by Klingons. And still, nobody will invite Michael Dorn in to #BringBackWorf

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Thom12255 posted:

Literally the ugliest ship.

And the teaser was quite odd. It looked worse than the CGI that Fan projects pump out. Not really the best introduction to the series for anyone. I'm actually a bit worried about it now.

It has a solidity and seriousness that I find oddly appealing, but it doesn't feel like a proper Starfleet design. More like a Maquis kitbash.

I mean, they're saying all the right things, but that ship design. I'm just like "That's what you went with? Really?"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HD DAD posted:

So any speculation on a time period? Almost looks post-ENT yet still pre-TOS.

1031 is a pretty low number, so if that has any particular bearing on when this ship launched then somewhere between ENT and TOS would make sense, yeah. It could even be close to Axanar's time period which is funny to me for some reason.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Thom12255 posted:

It makes me think that CBS is giving them barely any money to do anything.

After fronting all the money for the TNG Blurays it was bound to be fairly tight but yeesh that does not looks good. And I say this after having lowered expectations about Beyond and ending up liking it the best of the 3 new movies.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean it's nice to go back to old concept art for inspiration but sometimes that poo poo was rejected for a reason, yo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maybe they can get Andy Probert on the phone and have him whip something up to salvage that ... that thing.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That ship is hideous and the music is ridiculous.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
It looks like it should be hauling garbage.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's interesting how it's deploying from an asteroid base, too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evek posted:

It should be hauled away AS garbage.

FTFY

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I can't get over how ugly the ship is. How do you mess up so bad.

The teaser is terrible. Bad music, terrible graphics, doesn't tell you a thing about the show but shows you a ship no one would ever want to fly or own. You can't attract an audience with stuff like this. Why did they make this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You know you have a problem when the Axanar stuff looks more professional than the stuff by the network.

That's not something you should be showing that early, if it's indeed just test CGI or whatever.

The design is garbage too....and it seems clear there is some kind of Klingon influence. Parts of that music remind me of the Klingon themes from TNG.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

STD

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm still stunned there weren't any casting announcements. They've got to start shooting in, like, six weeks at the latest to make their premiere date.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's not clear that there's any Klingon influence, or whatever the hell people are saying. It does appear to be inspired by the Ralph McQuarrie design, for some reason I cannot fathom.

Really amateurish CGI too. No idea what they're thinking with that, but bad CGI doesn't necessarily mean bad acting, writing, or direction (though in B5 it certainly did...)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pakled posted:

Apparently there was a teaser trailer, at least. Looks like it's already on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Yeesh, this CGI looks pretty bad.

I'm in the mood to play roulette for some reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think they said it was test footage, which makes more sense. The CGI is one of the last things they would be doing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
They've taken it down?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Planet of the Titans concept is one of the few McQuarrie concepts I outright hate and I can't believe they used it for the new show. I mean goddamn, what a loving horrendous looking ship. And another loving pre-TOS show from the looks of it. You'd think the anniversary would be a perfect opportunity to push the series forward, but what do I know?

Between this, no casting info, and Fuller listing Janeway as his favorite captain, my enthusiasm for the new show has dwindled to almost nothing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I came out of Star Trek Beyond today feeling super hopeful that Star Trek was finally getting back into the swing of things and this panel has put so much doubt on it. At least we get another JJTrek movie?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think they said it was test footage, which makes more sense. The CGI is one of the last things they would be doing.

Yeah, but even for test footage that was rough. If all you've got is 90 seconds of garbage, don't show the garbage, just announce the title and logo and be done with it.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It's very Starfleet to design something with the intention of being a "true front line heavy cruiser" and calling it Ambassador.

"Front line heavy cruiser" means nothing in any historical context. These website guys are totally making things up.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Since it looks like TOS or pre-TOS I'm hoping it's just another flat-out different timeline, without any time travel stuff to try and explain. Just say you're doing you're own new version of Star Trek, own your own vision of the future, and be done with it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Since it looks like TOS or pre-TOS I'm hoping it's just another flat-out different timeline, without any time travel stuff to try and explain. Just say you're doing you're own new version of Star Trek, own your own vision of the future, and be done with it.

https://twitter.com/adambvary/status/756981563699503104

Confirmed for Prime Universe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

"Front line heavy cruiser" means nothing in any historical context. These website guys are totally making things up.

I believe the Ambassador class is referred to as a heavy cruiser in Conspiracy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm in the mood to play roulette for some reason.

Dabo!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Pfft, Dabo is a child's game. Tongo is where it's at.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Still better than this dogshit

MikeJF posted:

I want a Trek where Deck 9 section 3 is vapour sulphuric acid atmosphere and section 5 is 400 degrees and deck 10 and 11 starboard are entirely submerged and etc

I mean the main characters would only go there occasionally, it wouldn't be too bad production-wise.

Although it's been implied before that Starfleet partially segregates ships based on species, which would make sense for those cases. But the Enterprise could be more diverse as the flagship.

And have an entire population of AI. Some manifest as humanoid holograms. Some look just like weird static.

Sector General TV show, got it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Aw, man.

Seriously, though, in my opinion I'm hungry for a Star Trek that does that TOS and TNG did in the sense of taking the science we know now and imagining where it could go. A vision of the future relevant to today's audience. It seems like at some point you have to let go of cannon that started fifty years ago in order to do that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fuller listing Janeway as his favorite captain, my enthusiasm for the new show has dwindled to almost nothing.

That IS worrying.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
He said he had a soft spot for Kate Mulgrew. Not surprising really considering Voyager was one of his first writing gigs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That IS worrying.

Well, he was the story editor and a producer on Voyager's final four seasons...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just got out of Star Trek Beyond.

It is the best Trek movie since the Undiscovered Country. Hell, this movie blows Star Wars: the Force Awakens out of the water. It more than makes up for the shitshow that was Into Darkness.I think JJ Trek must be the mirror universe because the odd numbered movies are good and the even ones are bad and not the other way around.

Oh, and this movie actually felt like Star Trek. They didn't beat the bad guys by shooting a lot of guns at them, they did something clever instead.

And... wow. drat. I just got outta the movie and saw the footage for Star Trek: Discovery.

That might be the fastest buzzkill I've ever had in history.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
As I was watching that video I seriously thought someone was taking the piss on me. "Oh, ha ha, someone's taken some cheapshit fan render of the old McQuarrie concept and made a fake link to it on SA, what a laugh..."

I feel like someone was all "hey let's make the bottom section an arrowhead. Get it? GET IT??!"

Man, just... nobody involved in Star Trek has any sense of "too much" any more, do they? It's like that stupid loving fan render someone posted a thread or two of the Enterprise under construction, and "NCC-1701" was splashed in huge letters across the hull like five different times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

They've taken it down?

Yeah, it's 'not available' on the Trek YouTube page. I think they maybe misjudged what the response would be, and were like "SDCC footage! This'll get the nerds buzzing!" and then everyone hated it. Plus that does look just outright ripped from that concept.

It's not hard to make a Starfleet ship. Little rectangle, 1-4 big cylinders and a saucer. Slap em together however you want and it'll probably look passable with enough time spent touching it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Aw, man.

Seriously, though, in my opinion I'm hungry for a Star Trek that does that TOS and TNG did in the sense of taking the science we know now and imagining where it could go. A vision of the future relevant to today's audience. It seems like at some point you have to let go of cannon that started fifty years ago in order to do that.

Beyond kinda started looking a little like that, actually.

But otherwise, if you want that, you have to go to print SF.