Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm glad they are pretty open about him being a mutant, even if this is not part of the X-Men movies. That said, it cannot be hard to get Patrick Stewart to make an appearance later in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TFRazorsaw posted:

That doesn't reallhy answer the complaints, though. It doesn't look flexible, it doesn't look breathable, the shoulders look like they restrict the movement of his arms, which need as much a range of motion as his arms. They're trying to solve hypothetical problems with his powers that have, essentially, been handwaved away by the source of his speed protecting him from friction in the same way it gives him his powers to begin with, and in turn creating new ones regarding his range of motion. Personally, I think they chose to priortize the wrong thing.

In the high res shot, the costume seems to be made up of a lot of sectioned pieces (I actually think this was mentioned in the set visit reports too) that overlap. And there's a bunch of cords or wires that I'm assuming are like tension based? I don't know. Basically, to me, it looks like the suit offers a full range of motion since its made up of compartmentalized quartz fabric pieces over a silicon body suit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

teagone posted:

In the high res shot, the costume seems to be made up of a lot of sectioned pieces (I actually think this was mentioned in the set visit reports too) that overlap. And there's a bunch of cords or wires that I'm assuming are like tension based? I don't know. Basically, to me, it looks like the suit offers a full range of motion since its made up of compartmentalized quartz fabric pieces over a silicon body suit.

I'm confused; how are the cords and wires connecting things supposed to aid in motion? What I'm looking at and what you're describing sounds like it would hold things together and limit motion instead of allowing for it. Like wearing the chords are essentially a full body harness. And armor *over* the body suit would add weight and place things on top of each other.

From an aesthetic standpoint it also appears overly busy and I don't feel like the cords or wires "disappear" into the overall design enough.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
O drat Noah Hawley's doing that show? Thats interesting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm confused; how are the cords and wires connecting things supposed to aid in motion? What I'm looking at and what you're describing sounds like it would hold things together and limit motion instead of allowing for it. Like wearing the chords are essentially a full body harness. And armor *over* the body suit would add weight and place things on top of each other.

From an aesthetic standpoint it also appears overly busy and I don't feel like the cords or wires "disappear" into the overall design enough.

I'm thinking of like bungee cord type material, meant to hold everything in place while also allowing to stretch and whatnot when enough tension is applied. Also, considering Allen's abilities, I don't think added weight is an issue haha.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well all I can say to that is that none of that material looks flexible or light to my eyes. He looks cumbersome, which seems rather antithetical to the Flash.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

I'm thinking of like bungee cord type material, meant to hold everything in place while also allowing to stretch and whatnot when enough tension is applied. Also, considering Allen's abilities, I don't think added weight is an issue haha.

Definitely. Looking at the high res shot, Flash's suit gives the feeling that Barry strapped a racing car over himself. It also helps to convey fluid motion and protect him from the lighting bolts that seems to follow every time he uses his speed.

Honestly I'll find difficult to take Grant's seriously after seeing Ezra's

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Flash can still move fast even if he has armor, by the way, depending on which version you are referring to. Instead of merely moving fast, his 'go fast' energy warps space time of something.

Also, hold the phone. Is that a new Will Smith track I hear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Xb9BhfVjY

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 24, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
gently caress yes Wonder Woman looks amazing :hist101:. I remember thinking "just give me Wonder Woman deflecting bullets in no man's land" and sure enough that part was the best part of the trailer. Also, there's no way they don't play with that phrase:

Bruce Trevor: Diana, you can't go out there! It's no man's land!

Diana: :rolleyes:

I also dig on graybeard Bruce. Crazy that they gave us trailers this far out, but they both look great to me.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 24, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Cyborg looks like poo poo. The Flash suit looks bad; I don't like that he's wearing armor or the black color on the costume. It's also weird that there are only six Justice League members. I'm sure the movie will be just fine.

Wonder Woman looks extremely good though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The MSJ posted:

Also, hold the phone. Is that a new Will Smith track I hear?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Xb9BhfVjY

It's Rick Ross and Skrillex

The Flash suit would look 100% better if the black sections were red as well.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 24, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dacap posted:

The black sections are actually just a darker shade of red.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I meant the exact same shade as the armored parts

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

teagone posted:

My thoughts exactly Mr.Rohan on twitterverse. Lol at anyone who thinks that. Ezra's suit looks LEAGUES (:razz:) better.

Ugh. While I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on Wonder Woman (badass trailer for her movie) and Aquaman looking cool, goddamn, your DC fanboyisms are sometimes obnoxious dude.

I'm warming up to the look of the suit, but it looks a little too "power rangers" to me. Cyborg looks like a CGI mess, and the trailer was very much an Avengers-esque quip fest. I liked the use of Icky Thump, even though it was a bit jarring given how dour the Batman v Superman trailers were.

If anything, the Wonder Woman trailer was leagues above and beyond the Justice League trailer. Very well done I thought!

Dacap posted:

100% agree and I knew what you meant originally - the darker red throws me off a bit. I'll get over it, it's just a movie

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 24, 2016

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think you can buy Cyborg's body as a high end gaming mouse

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

The MSJ posted:

The Flash can still move fast even if he has armor, by the way, depending on which version you are referring to. Instead of merely moving fast, his 'go fast' energy warps space time of something.

This makes far more sense that "he somehow accelerates and decelerates at relativistic speeds," actually.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
According to BSS, Michael B Jordan has been confirmed as Erik Killmonger and Lupita Nyongo will be playing Nakia/Malice in Black Panther.

Asking as a non-comics nerd, who are these characters?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cythereal posted:

Erik Killmonger

Hahaha, is that really a character's name?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

According to BSS, Michael B Jordan has been confirmed as Erik Killmonger and Lupita Nyongo will be playing Nakia/Malice in Black Panther.

Asking as a non-comics nerd, who are these characters?

BP nemesis and former (now disgraced) royal bodyguard, respectively.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hahaha, is that really a character's name?

He changed it to that himself, yes. Klaw (Andy Seriks' character from Age of Ultron) killed his dad and he blames the Wakandan King's weakness so he becomes a villain to try to become the king.

Malice is basically a trained sex-slave for Wakandan kings, there's a group of them. T'challa doesn't care about them and doesn't use them for the most part until he kisses Malice and she becomes super crazy obsessed with him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

If anything, the Wonder Woman trailer was leagues above and beyond the Justice League trailer. Very well done I thought!

The Justice League trailer definitely feels like they were trying to get some funnier moments out there out of whatever footage they have. Wonder Woman is closer to being done so they could cut a more cohesive trailer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Justice League trailer definitely feels like they were trying to get some funnier moments out there out of whatever footage they have. Wonder Woman is closer to being done so they could cut a more cohesive trailer.

There's probably very little post-production work done on Justice League, it's still filming iirc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Ugh. While I'll agree with you wholeheartedly on Wonder Woman (badass trailer for her movie) and Aquaman looking cool, goddamn, your DC fanboyisms are sometimes obnoxious dude.

Haha, yeah I'm more of a DC fan for sure (more so a Wonder Woman fan to be honest, since I really only read her comics), but that said, I like Marvel movies too! And I've been making GBS threads on the Arrow and Flash TV shows to even things out I guess. I don't plan on watching either of those shows anymore since Marvel is killing it on Netflix.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

One's from a movie that's wrapped and in full-scale post, going through the real color grading process, with any digital effects having been worked on since even before the movie started shooting.

The other started shooting three months ago, had a basic color pass done on it to make it look reasonably presentable, and maybe has had five or six months of any FX work done, when projects of this kind literally go up to the last forty-eight hours before a world premiere to lock picture on the digital work on the regular. Like it's a rough, rough version of what it eventually will look like.

Especially Cyborg - his appearances are so "this was the most presentable pass we had ready for marketing to to approve". And his work is probably the furthest behind because almost anything that can be pushed on with had to start after Fisher started shooting, since it has to be matched to his performance. Even Flash's FX shot is really, really basic. There's a reason why 95% of the "trailer" is people talking, practical work (Momoa and the water, specifically), and shots that don't have fifty different distinct digital pieces going on.

The funny thing is that this is why studios are always incredibly reluctant to put out something involving the stuff they just started on, regardless of how big it is. Because it's going to look like crap compared to a finished product, or even to a half-finished product that has moved to a full post schedule. People at the con are going to forgive these things because they're made really aware "this is an early early sneak peek" and they're wildly in love with the concept in the first place.

But people complained so much about Suicide Squad not being online last year that they went with putting everything up this year to head off the headaches there.

That said, the lighting is so Game of Thrones that it's pretty hilarious. Blown out skies, blues and grays everywhere, hot windows. You can tell where the cinematographer's spent the last several years.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Cameo posted:

That said, the lighting is so Game of Thrones that it's pretty hilarious. Blown out skies, blues and grays everywhere, hot windows. You can tell where the cinematographer's spent the last several years.

Definitely a shame that Larry Fong was only able to drop in for Batman v Superman and then left for King Kong: Skull Island, though obviously good for that movie, whose trailer is very pretty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
New Dr. Strange trailer

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Definitely a shame that Larry Fong was only able to drop in for Batman v Superman and then left for King Kong: Skull Island, though obviously good for that movie, whose trailer is very pretty.

Holy cow, I'm glad you mentioned that. I hadn't seen it but it looks amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Have an embed of the Dr. Strange trailer. Looks dope, but I already knew it looked dope from the first trailer. Despite knowing absolutely nothing about the character, superhero inception is cool in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I can''t wait until they waste Mads like they waste all of their villains.

Violator
May 15, 2003

teagone posted:

Have an embed of the Dr. Strange trailer. Looks dope, but I already knew it looked dope from the first trailer. Despite knowing absolutely nothing about the character, superhero inception is cool in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

Evil magic Mads Mikkelsen inceptioning the world is A+ in my book.

GonSmithe posted:

I can''t wait until they waste Mads like they waste all of their villains.

I hope not. :( After being bored with the last few Marvel movies this is the one I'm looking forward to.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They most certainly did not waste Daniel Bruhl in CW.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I need to see more of Scott Derrickson's movies. Sinister did nothing for me, but while I didn't remember liking it, per se, I do remember being thoroughly disturbed by Deliver Us From Evil's fusion of occult horror and fascist cop movie. I should give it another shake, especially because I remember the cinematography being very, very good.

Dr. Strange looks promising, but I think I'll need to do a dry run of Derrickson's ouevre first, beginning of course with Hellraiser: Inferno, a.k.a., the decent Hellraiser direct-to-TV sequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Scyantific posted:

They most certainly did not waste Daniel Bruhl in CW.

Hugo Weaving was pretty great as Red Skull too imo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

teagone posted:

Hugo Weaving was pretty great as Red Skull too imo.

Spader was a joy to watch as Ultron.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/FiImFeed/status/757021144461504512
https://twitter.com/FiImFeed/status/757028600344346624

Wonder why the Thor logo feels so retro. Thor going back in time? Can Thor time travel, is that one of his powers?

[edit] Also holy new 40 second logo intro before every Marvel movie now. Seems a bit masturbatory imo:
https://twitter.com/FiImFeed/status/757030247153954820

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 24, 2016

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

I can also understand not going back to Amir Mokri, even though Man of Steel is a very pretty movie, since the tone is far off from that movie and getting someone already accustomed to shooting set-based work with a lot of digital elements in the mix at a quick clip is only a plus.

But yeah, Skull Island is lit fantastically, as expected from Fong. For a guy who sounded pretty sad he wouldn't get to shoot with Zack again immediately, he certainly hasn't half-assed his work there.

What I really want to know is who is Rick Famuyiwa going to grab for Flash. I hope he continues on the roll he's on with Rachel Morrison - both Dope and Confirmation are pretty sumptuous-looking pictures.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

James Gunn's Facebook posted:

Whoa! So we just got off stage at the San Diego Comicon showing not one, but THREE Guardians clips: 1) A piece from the film featuring Yondu, Rocket, baby Groot, and the Ravagers, 2) A behind-the-scenes featurette of me and the cast working on the forthcoming Guardians attraction at Disneyland, and 3) A special glimpse at a montage of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
I thought I’d share with you guys what we shared with everyone there.
If you don’t want minor spoilers from the film, don’t continue to read. I won’t hold it against you, I swear.
Here are the headlines –
THE RAVAGERS ARE A BIG PART OF VOL. 2
Most were on hand for the SDCC presentation, disrupting the proceedings as Ravagers are prone to do. We learn that they’ve had a somewhat contentious, even mutinous, relationship with Yondu since Vol. 1, due to the fact that Yondu let Peter Quill go without reprisal after not giving them the orb.
The leader in all of these shenanigans is the incredibly-powerful yet incredibly ridiculously-named TASERFACE, played by Chris Sullivan (it’s worth noting that four years ago when I was hired for the first Guardians film, I joked that I was going to make Taserface my villain. I suppose it’s no longer a joke).
Joining Chris in full Ravager regalia, was, of course, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, as well as these new Ravagers, all featured in the film:
Wretch, played by Evan Jones
Half-Nut, played by Jimmy Urine
Brahl, played by Stephen Blackehart
Gef the Ravager, played by Steve Agee
Oblo, played by Joe Fria
Narblik, play by Terence Rosemore
MICHAEL ROOKER SHOWED UP IN FULL YONDU MODE
With a big-rear end fin on his head. ‘Nuff said.
NEBULA IS A MAJOR PART OF THE FILM
As Karen Gillan knows – because I told her during my first meeting with her – GotG Vol. 1 was just a glimpse at a character I had major plans for in the future of the Guardians-verse. I did not lie.
ELIZABETH DEBICKI PLAYS AYESHA
Ayesha is the golden High Priestess of a genetically-perfect people called the Sovereign. She’s not a woman to be screwed with – she, and her entire world, are extraordinarily deadly.
WE CAUGHT A FIRST LOOK AT MANTIS
Our look for Mantis is similar to her original look in the comics – she’s the same color as Pom Klementieff, the actress who plays her (i.e not green), and she has antennae. We saw just a tiny little glimpse of her in the Comic-Con footage. More will be coming. She’s been one of my favorite parts of making this film.
YES, SYLVESTER STALLONE IS IN THE FILM
This was an amazing experience for me, considering I ran around in my backyard as a kid pretending I was Johnny Rambo. Working with Sly was one of the high points of shooting Vol. 2 for me.
Who does he play? Well, I can’t reveal that quite yet… but we do see him interacting with Yondu in the teaser.
TWO SONGS PLAYED IN THE FOOTAGE
“Come a Little Bit Closer,” by Jay and the Americans, played during the clip where Yondu faces off against some of the Ravagers.
“The Chain,” by Fleetwood Mac was the song used in the montage.
Am I saying these songs are part of Awesome Mix Vol. 2? Not necessarily. But they are great tunes…
A NEW DISNEYLAND GOTG ATTRACTION IS COMING
I’m a huge Disneyland fan and the Tower of Terror is my second favorite attraction there (Space Mountain is number one). So when the folks approached me, asking me to be involved with a new Guardians attraction, I was apprehensive.
But then the Walt Disney Imagineering folks showed me what they had in mind and MY MIND WAS COMPLETELY BLOWN. It was awesome (see the attached concept art for a very small taste). Exhilarating and novel and interactive. I can’t be more pleased to have partnered up with Walt Disney Imagineering in this production, helping to direct and shape the experience so that it has all the heart and fun and humor Guardians movies do.
Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, and I, along with a few other members of the Guardians cast, put our full effort into making it as great as we knew it could be. We shot most of it while we were in Atlanta shooting Vol. 2, and I can’t wait for you guys to see it and experience it firsthand the next time you visit the park.
WE DISCLOSED THE IDENTITY OF PETER QUILL’S FATHER
This is the biggie, I guess. And, yes, as many people guessed, or assumed, Kurt Russell is playing Peter Quill’s father. And Peter Quill’s father is (as almost no one has guessed)…
EGO.
Known in the comics as Ego the Living Planet.
Yeah, his dad is a planet. Sort of. It will all be explained in the film..

But to me, this is the absolute center of Vol. 2, and one of the reasons I’ve been so excited about it. When Marvel first approached me with the first movie, I thought, “Wait a second? A talking raccoon? Isn’t that a rather ridiculous idea to base a movie around?”
It was then that I took a step back and asked myself: Okay, if a raccoon could talk, and shoot a machine gun, how could that be? And answering that question ended up being the entire foundation of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1. There was a sadness in the answer. Rocket was an animal experimented upon, torn apart and put back together, without compassion. He was the only being of his type, had never known any hint of kindness, and was utterly and completely alone until he met his fellow Guardians. And, one of them in particular – Groot – thought it was worth sacrificing his life for his sake. This melancholy and beautiful undercurrent helped to ground the character for me. He had far more in common with Frankenstein’s monster than he did Bugs Bunny. And I related to him, greatly, and I hoped other folks who felt like outsiders would as well.
Ego seemed, in many ways, like an even more ridiculous character. But I asked myself, if a planet was alive, how could that be? And how could it father a child?
The answers to those questions took me to a far deeper place that I expected. I don’t want to give away too many answers at this time. But what Nova Prime said about Peter’s father at the end of Vol. 1 is certainly true – he is something ancient and unknown. And, as we will discover, being a cosmic being, alone for eons, is perhaps even more lonely than being the universe’s sole talking raccoon.
I can’t wait for you guys to see Kurt Russell bring this character to life onscreen. It has been a rapturous experience creating Ego with him. We have both pushed ourselves as far as we can go in making him real, and grounded, and emotionally centered.
I also can’t wait for all of you to see this movie. I really, really love it. Never has anything I’ve done flowed as smoothly as this project, and been so true and consistent from the first day I started writing it until today, as we edit it and create our visual effects.
And, worry not. Although you’ve learned a lot today, we have countless more surprises for you as we get closer to our release date. And even more of them in the movie itself.
Stay tuned to this page for more updates as we approach May 5, 2017 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!
Thanks!
James

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 24, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Puts a whole new spin on "My dad is the world to me".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That Thor logo looks like the intro screen to a 1989 NES game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oscar winner Brie Larson is officially cast as Captain Marvel :allears:

• Locked thread