Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I find none of these boys relatable, except for Kamille.

Where is Kai, I am an rear end in a top hat who doesn't know how to stop making jokes.

Where's Bernie? Who among us hasn't stolen from children and been mocked by our peers?

He also accomplishes nothing except disappointing women and making elementary schoolers cry, perhaps making him the most relatable protagonist.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i find four's carefree attitude and energy very relating, also a lot of people look at me like i am crazy when i talk sometimes and adults are always getting me down man.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Sometimes I relate to Yazan. I too want to smash giant robots and use giant robots to murder my CO to aquire even better giant robots.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not quite Gundam related, but if you followed my Patlabor simulwatch from this April or are interested in trying a different kind of mecha anime, the followup simul is gonna start on monday: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783680

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sometimes I relate to Yazan. I too want to smash giant robots and use giant robots to murder my CO to aquire even better giant robots.

Also I have a sweet turtle tattoo on my chest.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I relate to Ryu because most of the time, I do what I can with what I got.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Apolly Bay is the most relatable pilot in gundam. Just a guy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Droyer posted:

Not quite Gundam related, but if you followed my Patlabor simulwatch from this April or are interested in trying a different kind of mecha anime, the followup simul is gonna start on monday: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783680

Patlabor owns bones, give it a try goons.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

I was sad when he bought it. I was hoping he would be the serries' Wedge Antilles

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Patlabor owns bones, give it a try goons.

I know very little about other robot anime, what's it about?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

unpurposed posted:

Cops in mechs that are very little use against paperwork.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kuvo posted:

I was sad when he bought it. I was hoping he would be the serries' Wedge Antilles

Fa deserved to die, not him. What a waste of a sacrifice.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I was sad because I was forcing myself to watch and finish Zeta Gundam.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Fa deserved to die, not him. What a waste of a sacrifice.

Fa survived the war using the Methuss. She is secretly the greatest pilot in the AEUG.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Fa survived the war using the Methuss. She is secretly the greatest pilot in the AEUG.

You are aware that logic would make Sochie Heim the greatest pilot to ever set foot in a mobile suit, I assume?

(I'm not disagreeing, to be clear.)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

unpurposed posted:

Sounds like a great chance to find out!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

You are aware that logic would make Sochie Heim the greatest pilot to ever set foot in a mobile suit, I assume?

(I'm not disagreeing, to be clear.)

She uses the Kapool to gently caress up a Mahiroo, one of the most advanced mass-produced suits in the show. Yeah, she's genuinely good by the time the later episodes roll around.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Was Fa even a pilot in training before following Kamille to join AEUG? I know Kamille was at least learning how to design them and probably had some simulator experience, besides being a newtype.

Fa was probably one of the best oldtype pilots in the whole Gryps conflict, second only to Yazan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's also Lieutenant Botty, the Rick Dias pilot who nobody remembers, who also ranks up a fairly impressive kill-count in the background and appears to survive the entire conflict.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Begemot posted:

Was Fa even a pilot in training before following Kamille to join AEUG? I know Kamille was at least learning how to design them and probably had some simulator experience, besides being a newtype.

Fa was probably one of the best oldtype pilots in the whole Gryps conflict, second only to Yazan.

Fa wasn't a pilot in training, no, but she wasn't an Oldtype either. Fa's a Newtype, though I'm guessing a low-level one. Definitely not a Kamille-level one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also Lieutenant Botty, the Rick Dias pilot who nobody remembers, who also ranks up a fairly impressive kill-count in the background and appears to survive the entire conflict.

Wasn't Fa stated to be their only surviving pilot in ZZ?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't Fa stated to be their only surviving pilot in ZZ?

Guy probably just sloped off after Gryps and got blackout drunk. It's not an unreasonable reaction.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Fa wasn't a pilot in training, no, but she wasn't an Oldtype either. Fa's a Newtype, though I'm guessing a low-level one. Definitely not a Kamille-level one.

I'm pretty sure most games rate just above or the same level as Revil, but still below just about absolutely everyone else that is a pilot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Not Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure most games rate just above or the same level as Revil, but still below just about absolutely everyone else that is a pilot.
Yeah, for instance, SRW usually caps Fa's Newtype level at 4 or 5, just enough to use some of the bigger Newtype dependent weapons in the games. Other Newtypes like Amuro and Kamille almost always cap out at level 8, by comparison.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not Dave posted:

Can I say, for the record, how much I love the irony that the side that claims to be fighting for Deikun's dream has absolutely no newtypes in high command, while the side that they claim is bound by gravity had, as their supreme commander, the oldest known Newtype?

Because I love it a lot.

(Seriously, Revil's the biggest gamechanger of One Year War fatalities. He's the one guy in a position of power who went "Okay, yes, Newtypes are a thing." without continuing to "How can I best use them to murder my enemies?" Another irony, I suppose. A series focusing on the potential of youth where an old man was the one who could have prevented decades of tragedy. )

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, for instance, SRW usually caps Fa's Newtype level at 4 or 5, just enough to use some of the bigger Newtype dependent weapons in the games. Other Newtypes like Amuro and Kamille almost always cap out at level 8, by comparison.

I wouldn't put too much stock in SRW rankings. This is the series that has never given Ciela Lapana a single level in Aura Power ever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pewdiepie posted:

Apolly Bae :swoon:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Droyer posted:

Just quoting this because Patlabor is one of my top 5 mecha anime (even though it has very little mecha) and everybody should give it a chance.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

Just quoting this because Patlabor is one of my top 5 mecha anime (even though it has very little mecha) and everybody should give it a chance.

I get daunted by the different continuities and which ones connect to which.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Szmitten posted:

Movie Trilogy and TV series, Early Days OVA is it's own thing. New Files are essentially cut TV series episodes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Movie Trilogy and TV series, Early Days OVA is it's own thing.

Nope.

Early Days and the films are set in the same continuity, along with Next Generation. Patlabor TV and New Files are a separate continuity, and The New Files is a direct sequel to Patlabor TV. The manga is its own continuity, completely separate from anything animated.

None of that really matters because the basic premise and characters work the same, so all you need to know is that Patlabor TV doesn't keep track of the Early Days or movie events.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in SRW rankings. This is the series that has never given Ciela Lapana a single level in Aura Power ever.
True. This is also a series where Leina Ashta can somehow cap higher in Newtype skill than her more famously powerful brother.

And also where Monsha can be rewritten into a semi-decent human being, no less.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Szmitten posted:

I don't understand how someone who posts in the gundam thread (and therefore presumably watches gundam) can have this problem.
Edit: And also, it says in the simul what to watch and when. I am solving this problem for you.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 24, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of alternate continuities, how come most of them are so lacking in good grunt suits? I know I know, this comes down to personal taste, and I find most of the designs from Seed/Destiny to be godawful, but apart from the UC and Wing, most shows don't seem to put nearly as much effort into their cannon fodder suits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

On the topic of alternate continuities, how come most of them are so lacking in good grunt suits? I know I know, this comes down to personal taste, and I find most of the designs from Seed/Destiny to be godawful, but apart from the UC and Wing, most shows don't seem to put nearly as much effort into their cannon fodder suits.

... Really? I'd say we had a pretty good run of them.

Even if you dislike SEED, 00 has the Flags which are like the best mecha in the show, AGE's Clanches and some of the Vagan grunt designs were probably better than the main suits, Reconguista has goddamn beautiful grunt mecha and while IBO's only real grunt mecha were the Graze they got a pretty serious push and some pretty good variant designs.

Almost all of those had a major grunt pilot or two too.

Graham obviously Flagged that poo poo up.
AGE had the Genoace and Clanche Customs which got pretty good scenes for the show.
Reconguista had several characters piloting grunt mecha throughout the entire show.
IBO obviously had the Graze Custom

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kind of pushing "grunt suit" here, but the final fight in IBO was against a graze variant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I count Reconquista and Turn A as far future UC, plus they're Tomino shows. But I don't really like the visual style of the other timelines. I like my suits chunky and with big feet. The Graze is alright, but the narrow waist and the high heeled feet bug me.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I really like the Graze from a utilitarian perspective.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

I really like the Graze from a utilitarian perspective.

I like how they're the only mech Gjallarhorn uses. They're an incredibly powerful world-spanning organization, of course they have a standardized unit. Makes the world feel more cohesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should really get around to watching IBO, shouldn't I?