Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

And they're extremely fun and imaginative films.

Eh, I feel like Friday has a more solid franchise than Elm Street but I still love Freddy as a character more. But a lot of the sequels are kinda hard to watch.

Hellraiser and Halloween both have a bunch of bad sequels which is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
ObamaPhone is not wrong about NES getting worse and worse when Freddy became more and more cornball.

However, he IS wrong in shooting down a New Nightmare. That movie was a refreshing change in tone and smarts.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's funny because NoES' track record is actually fairly solid when compared to a lot of other horror franchises.

That's the problem right there.

Horror as a genre usually doesn't create good franchises.

It's not like the 007 movies, Star Wars, LOTR/Hobbit, or even loving Harry Potter.

IMO, of the newer horror movies created since 2000, Underworld is a decent franchise.

All of the Underworld movies, while not great by any means, are all watchable because they largely adhere to the exact same quality throughout the quadrilogy.

Maybe good franchises start out weak and only get better farther along in the series?

Alien is a another example where, while not popular opinion, peaked with the sequel Aliens, and continued onto another decent sequel Resurrection and prequel Prometheus.

I'm a firm believer that the true career of Ed and Lorraine Warren is definitely franchisable as their case files have provided material for The Amityville Horror, The Conjuring 1 & 2, and Annabelle.

Myself only being a fan of The Conjuring #1.

joylessdivision posted:

Eh, I feel like Friday has a more solid franchise than Elm Street but I still love Freddy as a character more. But a lot of the sequels are kinda hard to watch.

Hellraiser and Halloween both have a bunch of bad sequels which is frustrating.

Halloween and Friday the 13th differ from A Nightmare On Elm Street in that the antagonist largely stays the same movie to movie.

I really enjoyed Halloween 1, 2, H20, and Rob Zombie's Halloween II.

im gaye posted:

Awhile back you mentioned looking into South American horror. I recommend a few Coffin Joe flicks because they're a trip. For better or worse, the guy is certainly an auteur.

What's his best film?

I never get into to Spanish, Mexican, or South American horror, but I really enjoyed Álex de la Iglesia's The Day of the Beast which was recommended on this forum.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I agree. Horror makes for lovely franchises because they become by-the-numbers exercises in recreating the first film. Most of the mystery, uncertainty, and novelty that can make an original film scary and memorable are automatically gone.

Comedy franchises suck, too, for comparable reasons.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Are there any (semi)worthwhile found footage movies up for streaming on Amazon or Netflix (or anywhere else) right now?

Spirit Stalkers is surprisingly good for being a no budget found footage movie I randomly found on prime streaming,

I also enjoyed Mr. Jones and Evidence (2013) on netflix but I don't think I could argue either of them were a good movies

ObamaPhone posted:

I never get into to Spanish, Mexican, or South American horror, but I really enjoyed Álex de la Iglesia's The Day of the Beast which was recommended on this forum.

Álex de la Iglesia kinda owns in general. Only movie of his I thought was "eh" is Witching and Bitching, and even that has a few inspired parts. Definitely check out La Comunidad, imo it's his best. Not nearly as bombastic as Dia de la Bestia but just a very well acted/directed/funny Hitchcock homage

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 24, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ObamaPhone posted:

What's his best film?

Having an idea of your tastes, I will guardedly say his first movie, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, was my favorite experience.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jedit posted:

We were talking found footage horror movies a few pages back, and I completely forgot one of the best: Series 7: The Contenders.

Dude, loving thank you. I thought I'd watched every single 'generally well received' found footage film (in addition to a ton of generally panned ones) but this one passed me by. If there are any other less well known titles from this era please let me know.

e: Mockumentary-ish titles like Series 7 count for this

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's funny because NoES' track record is actually fairly solid when compared to a lot of other horror franchises.

Including noted David Warner franchise - The Omen

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm watching Series 7 right now and it's really loving good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

a cop posted:

I'm watching Series 7 right now and it's really loving good.
Is it available for streaming anywhere? I remember seeing it on the shelf when I worked at Blockbuster Video but never took a chance on it.

Profondo Rosso posted:

Spirit Stalkers is surprisingly good for being a no budget found footage movie I randomly found on prime streaming,

I also enjoyed Mr. Jones and Evidence (2013) on netflix but I don't think I could argue either of them were a good movies
Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely check those out.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 24, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Is it available for streaming anywhere? I remember seeing it on the shelf when I worked at Blockbuster Video but never took a chance on it.

You can find it rather easily googling. I'd like to know if there was somewhere I could pay to stream it, but I couldn't find a single option. I could only find where to buy used DVDs, which wouldn't give the creators any cash, so yeah. Was disappointed by that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Good lord, I cannot overstate my love for that film. Every bit of melodrama is perfect in context with the reality tv premise, and producers painstakingly orchestrating events in order to force them to occur. The ending allows for numerous interpretations. The exploration of the human condition and just-enough world building make for one hell of a thought experiment.

e: Now I'm watching Slashers, this film's Japanese counterpart.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 24, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Slashers loving OWNS

e: The acting is atrocious but I still love it

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 24, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ObamaPhone posted:

Let's be honest here.

NOES had only one great movie and that's the first one.

Robert Englund's performance got cornier with each sequel, and that's what I blame for destroying the franchise.

Most people prefer #3: Dream Warriors as the second best movie, I prefer #2: Freddy's Revenge.

New Nightmare is probably the most overrated sequel, but that's also due to the fact that the alternative makeup ruined it for me.

poo poo, I would rate Freddy VS Jason as the 3rd best in the Freddy Krueger lineup.

I believe a more serious actor could have pulled off at least a solid trilogy before slipping into obscurity or rebooting the IP.

Robert Englund's acting provided both the best and worst elements of NOES.

You are like the Skip Bayless of horror movies.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ObamaPhone posted:

Alien is a another example where, while not popular opinion, peaked with the sequel Aliens, and continued onto another decent sequel Resurrection and prequel Prometheus.

This is very much the popular opinion :wtc:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Ahahah.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

a cop posted:

Slashers loving OWNS

e: The acting is atrocious but I still love it

Slashers holds a special place in my heart with Skinned Deep and Deadly Detour: The Goatman Murders as hilariously terrible movies I like playing for groups of people. Skinned Deep wins for Warwick Davis (and being reviewed on SA), but Deadly Detour is just possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I really hope someone else has seen it and can confirm.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to say horror movies are bad at franchising when, on average, slashers tend to get more sequels and remakes than any other genre and they were also doing that before it was really a thing to stretch out a movie into five planned movies. Like the examples ObamaPhone brings up are a book series that just followed the books, a book series that followed the book and then tried to stretch things out and did way worse and a franchise that is the longest running franchise there is so it's very much the exception (and also has a way worse average than NOES if we're being honest here).

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Seconding Series 7 is dope as gently caress.

And I liked Lights Out enough (particularly Nice Rock Boyfriend) but man, the ending is not good. Also, considering it's about a mother's toxic and codependent childhood friendship, the mother's suicide fixing everything seems a bit troubling.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

This is very much the popular opinion :wtc:

Not quite.

Most people love the first one and prefer Alien 3 to Alien: Resurrection.

I'm a fan of both Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder.

Perlman expecially gets casted in a lot of horror/sci-fi/fantasy movies I watch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Profondo Rosso posted:

I'm watching this right now and it's worth mentioning that it's not found-footage, it's just super low budget and filmed with a bunch of handheld cameras.

I'm not saying it's not worth watching, I'm about a third of the way in and it's pretty drat competent for a movie with a budget of around $4.87

ObamaPhone posted:

Perlman expecially gets casted in a lot of horror/sci-fi/fantasy movies I watch.
Ron Perlman owns, have you seen 'The City of Lost Children'?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 24, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Seconding Series 7 is dope as gently caress.

And I liked Lights Out enough (particularly Nice Rock Boyfriend) but man, the ending is not good. Also, considering it's about a mother's toxic and codependent childhood friendship, the mother's suicide fixing everything seems a bit troubling.

Super weird, with a really bizarre script. One thing I like about horror is that you're constantly seeing first timers have a crack at it. I didn't much like this in the same way I wasn't a fan of Oculus, another movie that makes me appreciate the narrative economy of Silent House more and more. But it's still interesting to see people take a whack at creepypastaish stuff.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Harsh but fair.

Somewhere I got it in my head that BioZombie was an over-the-top splatstick movie that was Hong Kong's answer to Re-Animator or Evil Dead, so I was excited to find it on YouTube. Turns out it's a pretty tame zombie movie with a stock plot that takes way too long to get going. The emphasis on comedy and the main characters' emotional development makes it a sort of proto-Shaun of the Dead, but overall it would have been disappointing even if I hadn't been expecting something more like Dead Alive.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I doubt Obamaphone would enjoy that movie, but I guess you never know.

Great movie though, Jeunet is very underrated as a director and I wish he'd had more opportunities in America.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Xenomrph posted:

Perlmen and Jeunet is probably why I have such affection for Alien Resurrection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Great movie though, Jeunet is very underrated as a director and I wish he'd had more opportunities in America.
I was gambling that he'd like it since it's Jeunet (who directed Resurrection, which Obamaphone said he liked), and it's got Ron Perlman.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Another one I tried to watch but could not make it through.

I am a big fan of French movies though.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I'm watching this right now and it's worth mentioning that it's not found-footage, it's just super low budget and filmed with a bunch of handheld cameras.

I'm not saying it's not worth watching, I'm about a third of the way in and it's pretty drat competent for a movie with a budget of around $4.87

I didn't like City of Lost Children, but I like many movies that Ron Perlman has starred in.

Off the top of my head: The Name of the Rose, Outlander, I Sell the Dead, and obviously Hellboy 1 & 2.

Outlander and I Sell the Dead are both very underrated.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What didn't you like about it, out of curiosity?

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

What didn't you like about it, out of curiosity?

I didn't like the style, reminded me of Terry Gilliam.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ObamaPhone posted:

Alien is another movie, like Jaws, where there is only one monster.

I'm familiar with the artwork of H.R. Giger since I was a kid, and the first Alien just didn't hold up as a admirable foe by the time I saw it years later.

I realize that many, if not most people disagree with me on this, but Aliens the sequel was the hallmark of the series.

I'm in the middle of watching Alien 3: Assembly Cut ATM, and I regard Alien: Resurrection as the superior film by a slight margin.

I smell loving burnt toast

e: your NoES opinions are Not Bad (I actually also really like 2, being a bi dude who actively likes bizarre-rear end movies probably helped) but holy gently caress what :psyduck: how does the first Alien not come off as a credible threat to you? it spends the bulk of the runtime effortlessly slaughtering the Nostromo crew, who are shown to be preeeetty competent, like they're cattle. obviously cultural osmosis has made the creature itself less shocking, but if you wouldn't poo poo yourself and run if you saw that thing IRL you should prob check your pulse.

thinking Aliens is the better movie is not a weird opinion, but thinking the first one is bad or boring, uh, really really is one

also, while Alien 3 is not really that fun to watch, it at least loving tries interesting things with the concept and has a really operatic feel to it that none of the other movies really have. Resurrection, meanwhile, is cargo cult Aliens with Whedon dialogue and horrible CGI.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 24, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ObamaPhone posted:

Not quite.

Most people love the first one and prefer Alien 3 to Alien: Resurrection.

I'm a fan of both Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder.

What I meant was that it's very much the popular opinion that the series peaked with Aliens. It took me a long time to really think Alien was better. Alien 3 and Resurrection are pretty much universally thought much less of to the point of outright panning.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Aiens 3: Assembly cut is a great film, resurrection is generic whedon crap that just so happens to have aliens in it

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I finally got around to watching Summer Camp and it turned out to be a pretty interesting dark comedy take on the whole feral zombie idea. It also used it's plot device to work fairly well with a pretty small cast of characters, though the acting was pretty poo poo (except for the guy who played 'nice guy finish last' stereotype from Scream Queens, cause he did a great job of being beaten savagely).

Also watched Carnage Park and that was a pleasantly surprising attempt at a grindhouse film. I mean the ending felt a bit rushed and meandering, but it definitely setup a grim and desperate setting before that. Some fairly odd casting choices though, like Alan Ruck. He just seemed to kinda be there.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Lights Out was pretty alright. I wish they hadn't revealed Diana though, I thought she was spookier as a silhouette with glowing eyes. Diana's backstory was kind of weird and felt like they were trying to shove 3-4 stories in to her history.

The ending was a bit troubling in that if you consider Diana purely as an allegory for depression, then it shows suicide as the only solution. The mom shutting out all the light and preferring only the company of Diana, not wanting to get better when the daughter takes the brother away, then later handing a note to her daughter (as Diana tries to tug her back into darkness) when she realizes she's in trouble, trying to find her meds: all that was pretty comparable to someone in the depths of depression realizing they need help and finally having the strength to ask for it. But then, instead of getting her help to keep her old friend depression/Diana at bay... she shoots herself. The gently caress. Overall it reminded me very much of this comic by Sylvie Reuter.

There's more reasons why that bothers me but I won't go into it further.

In good news, the boyfriend is very handsome and looks like if Edgar Ramirez and Michiel Huisman had a baby.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i enjoyed the whole experience of Lights Out until the ending which left almost the whole audience in the theatre going "what?". The suicide solution was foreshadowed by Diana's father's suicide but surely there had to be a better way than that?

The boyfriend character is pretty great in just how smart he is in staying alive, especially when the cops tell him to stay out and he happily agrees to it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Niggurath posted:

So I finally got around to watching Summer Camp and it turned out to be a pretty interesting dark comedy take on the whole feral zombie idea. It also used it's plot device to work fairly well with a pretty small cast of characters, though the acting was pretty poo poo (except for the guy who played 'nice guy finish last' stereotype from Scream Queens, cause he did a great job of being beaten savagely).

Also watched Carnage Park and that was a pleasantly surprising attempt at a grindhouse film. I mean the ending felt a bit rushed and meandering, but it definitely setup a grim and desperate setting before that. Some fairly odd casting choices though, like Alan Ruck. He just seemed to kinda be there.

Did Carnage Park have a lot of action/blood? I'm interested in it since I love old "grindhouse" and exploitation movies but I don't want to watch a bunch of people in a desert if it's slow/boring.

I really didn't like Lights Out but as to the ending: While I definitely don't think that suicide is the answer to any problem, I found the ending to be almost refreshingly bleak. I didn't want a happy ending or an Insidious-style sequel setup ending, and there is definitely a scary idea in that this woman was so haunted by her past that death was the only way to escape it. Obviously that's not the case in real life, and anyone suffering from depression in real life should know that suicide is not the answer and depression can be beat, but in terms of a movie it was nice to not have the audience be coddled..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All this talk about Lights Out reminds me strongly of the Uruguayan horror film La Casa Muda or The Silent House. It's a super loving intense low budget film and incredibly scary.

It's on Shudder and you should not read anything about the film, just watch it.

I'd put it up there with The Babadook in intensity and emotion.

Oh I forgot to add that the film is one long take.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 25, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Kvlt! posted:

Did Carnage Park have a lot of action/blood? I'm interested in it since I love old "grindhouse" and exploitation movies but I don't want to watch a bunch of people in a desert if it's slow/boring.
It rolled along pretty quickly, especially at an hour and twenty minute run time. And it was pretty much constant running and tension, outside of the ending which was a bit meandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ObamaPhone posted:

He has that kind of face.