Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ramsus posted:

^doesn't even need to grind hahahahaha i get it, post your last 10 consecutive charioteer games

Plus loving forget snap shotting in the charioteer. Every goddamn shot WILL go to the outside of your reticle. Post replays to prove otherwise if you're a naysayer. Good luck with that horrendous stop and wait for 3 seconds to aim with no gun depression and armor when the current meta is one team is horribly unbalanced so you either have to move forward and shoot on the move to keep up with the killing or camp good with armor and gun depression.

Jokes on you, I would never bother playing a tier 8 outside of Strongholds because I'm not a masochist

also I stopped at the Firefly because I'm not a masochist

also I haven't played the main server in two months because I'm not a masochist. I guess I'll hit you up when they finally bring tier 8s onto the Sandbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Still trying to figure out why people that claim not to play this game stay up to date and post in this thread.

Who has a charioteer or 416? Probably nobody. Probably just got word that some gamer pro liked them and figured they'd bandwagon. I've done 4500 damage in my 416, but that was a fluke. Not really any good games in the charioteer so far. Haven't seen proof that either are worth a poo poo so far.

myths busted

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I think the Obj 416 is overpowered and if a tank being overpowered mattered in the slightest, it would have been toned down a year ago or more. The tank is too good at what it does for tier 8, and the only thing hiding that fact is tier 8 platoons getting totally hosed by the matchmaker and the horrendous playerbase not realizing how good the 416 is.

I don't think a single person in this thread thought you were being serious about either the 416 or the Charioteer. I certainly thought you were playing a bit and just trolling, pretending that a tier 8 without the best gun was actually something to complain about. Most tanks in this game are total garbage without the top modules, and that carries on as you get higher in tiers and the modules become prohibitively expensive to Free XP.

and please don't use "one good game" as an example of anything because "one good game" requires merely 29 players allowing you to succeed, you need to track overall progress over a long enough span of games.

e: I should specify that the Charioteer is a tier 8 TD, and as we've gone over, all of the tier 8 TDs are poo poo compared to the Obj 416 played as a TD, without the fun ability to be a fast, high camo medium when required.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 23, 2016

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
these are my sincere opinions as one gamer man to the next

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramsus posted:

lmao

e. u even play this game bruv?

Join T-God clan west coast if you want to get god

ee. u wot?

Just quoting this so everyone can see it in case you sober up and regret posting while intoxicated.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
....poo poo

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Ramsus posted:

Still trying to figure out why people that claim not to play this game stay up to date and post in this thread.

Who has a charioteer or 416? Probably nobody. Probably just got word that some gamer pro liked them and figured they'd bandwagon. I've done 4500 damage in my 416, but that was a fluke. Not really any good games in the charioteer so far. Haven't seen proof that either are worth a poo poo so far.

myths busted

I'm not sure where you're coming from. I'm pretty sure no one in the thread has much to say one way or another about the Charioteer. It's about average for its tier and not terribly remarkable in any way.

People in the thread say the 416 is good because it is overpowered as hell. More alpha than most of peers, more DPM than all of them, the best premium round on a t8 medium, better camo than everything it sees, and above average AP pen. It's got almost everything going for it.

e: I guess the remarkable thing about the charioteer is that it comes after one of the three worst t7 tanks (Challenger, A-44, Sturer Emil) but isn't overpowered as hell like the RHM and 416 are, and is just average. So it breaks a trend of WG rewarding players for awful t7s with broken t8s? That's something.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 23, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I didn't like the Charioteer either, but I hardly think it's a controversial opinion. With either better camo or gun depression it would be good, and I could see how some people could enjoy it as it is, but I found it very frustrating.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
if you dislike the charioteer oh boy oh boy please play the next two TDs in that tree

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
It doesn't seem too objectionable to me to dislike the Charioteer without actually playing it. I assume a lot of players who aren't reds know what they like by the time they grind out another tier8. All it takes is knowing game mechanics and some self-reflection.

Just taking myself as an example:

I like gun depression. The Charioteer only has 5 degrees.

I like good gun handling. The Charioteer has high track bloom, obviously no vert stab, and 2.4 aim time on a TD is only adequate, given its alpha. Turret bloom value is acceptable for the tier, though.

I don't really enjoy slow turrets - I put up with them on tanks that have other things I enjoy. 18 deg/sec is a very slow turret on par with the E-75 or T30.

I'm not fond of extreme softness in my vehicles unless I can hide the hull. More difficult with 5 degrees. I guess I'd rather make the other guy load in a premium shell than be tempted to swap to HE because my turret face only has 30mm armor :v: Pubbie tank-bushido generally means there's more HE than premium shells in circulation, anyway.

I do enjoy vision-mechanic abuse, which the Charioteer is suitable for, but this is practical on very few maps, these days.

All in all, I have good reason to expect that the Charioteer would have too many elements of aggravation to call it a good vehicle for me. The following TDs have even more elements I would dislike, making it even less appealing to invest time in the Charioteer.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Soulfucker posted:

if you dislike the charioteer oh boy oh boy please play the next two TDs in that tree

Haha, no, I rebought the comet and retrained the crew to that.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So the PzIII K has to be some kind of joke tank, right?

Who would ever think it's a good idea to mate the gun handling of the post-nerf hellcat (0.36 track bloom :wtc:) to the gun of the tier4 Pz IV? 139 gold pen with normal matchmaking :toot:

The only things it has going for it are dpm that looks kind of good before you notice the poo poo pen and bad handling, and view range that's acceptable and not as poor as on the T-25, III/IV and Pz IV Hydro.

Considering they made the very rare V/IV a tier5 in my absence, the Pz III K only seems to exist to make people feel loving stupid for not owning one of the 3 other tier5 German premium mediums. They're all way better.

The T-25 is faster and has a much better gun. Although blind, it contributes better in lovely MM.

The Pz IV Hydro is just as soft, just as under-engined, but at least its track bloom is actually really nice for tier5 (half of the IIIK, lol) so you don't sit there for 10 seconds to aim in after stopping, and it has pref-MM and higher pen. All at the cost of 50 fewer hitpoints and a bit of dpm.

Okay, that was a lie, the III K exists to milk money out of Wehraboos. But man, I wouldn't even want this shitbox if it had pref-MM.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The best part of the PzK is that even WG has nothing really good to say about it. It's own review either states the obvious or out right lies:

The Good
A gun with high marks in penetration, damage and accuracy - A loving lie
Like many medium tanks, can fit in any role - Um, okay
Very competitve(sic) at tier V - No poo poo, a tier V being competitive in tier V matches?

Reasons to Buy
All-around great medium tank with a fearsome weapon - A lie
Perfect for the flexible tanker - Be gud to do okay at this tank
Great for training German medium tank Crews - No poo poo, it's a premium

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Just got the Object 140, it is a good tank, as advertised. Currently, I'm alternating between 3000-4000 damage games and 1500-2000 damage games, but I'm positive that that is my failing, not the tank's. I'm still not very good at predicting game flow, so I will sometimes find myself either getting swarmed and ending up with low damage, or the opposite, we find few tanks on our flank and I'm too late for much cleanup damage.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
I've been watching unicum streamers and have recently been trying to learn the right time to abandon a flank. So far i feel like I always abandon too late to make a difference.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Sterling_Archer posted:

I've been watching unicum streamers and have recently been trying to learn the right time to abandon a flank. So far i feel like I always abandon too late to make a difference.

I feel like now that I have map knowledge and have watched more streams I am getting much better with my finesse tanks. I used to be AWFUL in my CDC but now have been on a steady climb upward in damage and carrying games and knowing how to avoid getting hit and using speed/snapshots.

I've found if I'm asking myself what I need to do to win back a flank, it's time to go already. Don't assume you can man up and turn around something, best to fall back and steamroll the other flank.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

RIP Ramsus apparently.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

RIP Ramsus apparently.

How'd you find out?

Edit: oh, racism on the forums trying to be edgy. Uhhh...well save that for PANSY there.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Blindeye posted:

How'd you find out?

I probably heard it from some gamer pro.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

How'd you find out?

Edit: oh, racism on the forums trying to be edgy. Uhhh...well save that for PANSY there.

He is already in a big clan. Their skills are so elite, they had to go to the west server to get a challenge.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Hellsau posted:

To be fair, Ramsus is correct even once he gets the top gun - there's no reason to play the Charioteer when the Conqueror and FV215B exist. They get the same gun and also have much more HP and also have either incredibly good armor on the Conq, or workable armor on the 215B. Why would anyone choose to play the Charioteer, it doesn't make sense. Plus the 215b doesn't even need to grind to get its top gun!

I loved the charioteer. multiple 5k+ games in t10 and it dunks on t8 games.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-wcq1rIjT4

Edit: some Erlenberg Blizzard footage for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGZmb_clm4

Valle fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 24, 2016

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Blindeye posted:

I've found if I'm asking myself what I need to do to win back a flank, it's time to go already. Don't assume you can man up and turn around something, best to fall back and steamroll the other flank.

I'm always thinking "If things go to hell, what should I do" and I have to agree, "GTFO" is correct like 90% of the time. 5% is taken up by "kill that hellcat/light tank and GTFO", and the other 4% is "ehh, the rest of the flank is gone, but there's two 42% shitters and an average, I can handle it." and maybe 1% "poo poo, I'm stuck against 2/3's of the enemy team, gently caress me".

Strangely enough, I enjoy the last one the most. If you can survive and win it's amazing. I never expect to pull it off though.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Rorac posted:

I'm always thinking "If things go to hell, what should I do" and I have to agree, "GTFO" is correct like 90% of the time. 5% is taken up by "kill that hellcat/light tank and GTFO", and the other 4% is "ehh, the rest of the flank is gone, but there's two 42% shitters and an average, I can handle it." and maybe 1% "poo poo, I'm stuck against 2/3's of the enemy team, gently caress me".

Strangely enough, I enjoy the last one the most. If you can survive and win it's amazing. I never expect to pull it off though.

When you get better as a player and can read battles better you tend not to let situations where you have to kill 2/3 of the enemy team alone happen. You recognize earlier when stuff is going to poo poo and do something risky to try to turn it around, and either it works or it doesn't. I used to let myself get sandwiched all the time but now I just recklessly push into one side or another if it looks like I'm going to get surrounded. Little things like that.

My best game by experience is still from years ago when I was sub-50% but reasonably competent at the mechanical skills of the game. I still remember it a bit, and if I were a better player I almost certainly would have lost that game because I'd have recognized it going so poorly and would have been more aggressive.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Tried playing some AMX 30:
http://imgur.com/a/EcVDX

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Tried playing some AMX 30:
http://imgur.com/a/EcVDX

Worth it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Valle posted:

Edit: some Erlenberg Blizzard footage for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGZmb_clm4
So the entire map just becomes the magical forest? Seems terrible unless they fix the radio-spotting mechanics.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Valle posted:

some Erlenberg Blizzard footage for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGZmb_clm4

drat, those weather effects are awesome, although blinding. Being able to drive on the frozen rivers is also a nice change.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Actually physics are pretty fun:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i haven't played regularly for so long that i admitedly take way too much time to take a course of action but my team keeps melting two minutes into a game.

world of tanks never changes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If others refuse to acknowledge their badness and furthermore refuse to improve even if they do, there's no way other than platoons and/or strongholds for a newer player to improve themselves on.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
There are three kinds of games for me. I get damaged early (usually by arty) and I end up having to play too passively to stay alive resulting in a poor game, the game is a complete steamroll and I can't shoot fast enough, or I actually have a good game. Currently, in the Object 140, the good games are way too infrequent. Check out this session:

What can I do about this other than 'getting good'? I feel like a large part of the problem is playing passive, but when I try to be more aggressive, I end up yoloing to an early death. Clearly winning wasn't a problem this session, but I think I can mostly thank my platoonmates for that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It most likely comes down to positioning; study those high-damage wins which should show you your good positioning choices.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Last night I joined a clan (clicked "ok" to the invite reflexively thinking it was a platoon invite), now I'm a proud member of [SPOCK]. I wonder if I can find the good doctor's books in PDF form to post quotes from in chat. Hey, I'll take the gimmick I can get. :v:

Also, sadly I didn't screencap it, but got my first "UNINSTALL" private message after the match from a guy who died before me and didn't get any kills (I got one). I replied with "?" and he replied to that about six hours later while I was asleep, "u r bad 45% winrate you should uninstall the game"

Joke's on him, I already did uninstall it and then came back not giving a poo poo. I'd actually have damned good stats if I weren't constantly jumping my Hellcat and Luchs off cliffs.

In other news, I fuckin' love shooting counterbattery as arty. A) it pisses of my team's scouts when I steal their easy arty kills, and 2) my equivalent on the other team gets real confused/angry at getting a taste of his own medicine.

Edit: there's a quickchat wheel like the dpad in Rocket League, right? what's the filename for it, so I can have Dr. Spock quotes at the ready?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 25, 2016

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

What can I do about this other than 'getting good'? I feel like a large part of the problem is playing passive, but when I try to be more aggressive, I end up yoloing to an early death. Clearly winning wasn't a problem this session, but I think I can mostly thank my platoonmates for that.

Upload some replays and we can get a better idea?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yeonik posted:

If you want start streaming and let me know and I can Skype in and yell at you.

e: this goes for anyone, I'll yell at you for free.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 25, 2016

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Yeonik posted:

I'll watch some replays and see if I can find a couple where I just don't end up doing damage but where I also don't yolo/get yoloed.

Hellsau posted:

If you want start streaming and let me know and I can Skype in and yell at you.

e: this goes for anyone, I'll yell at you for free.

Haha, I might take you up on this because having someone yelling 'don't poke you idiot that e5 is looking right at you' could make a difference.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

I'll watch some replays and see if I can find a couple where I just don't end up doing damage but where I also don't yolo/get yoloed.

Upload the replays where you won, survived, and did 568, 970, and 1052 damage. I never have those low damage games where I survive because I am so suicidally aggressive that either I throw my tank away or if I don't die immediately I'll rack up a few thousand damage I play carefully and moderate my aggression such that I'm always contributing something to the team.

e: notably, those three games I requested you also have no or nearly no spotting damage and also lose money on a win where you survive.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Did something change in the way that XP is awarded, or crew XP is gained/assigned in the past year or so? I recently started playing my SU-85B again, and it took me 30 matches with an 1900 WN8 or so average to take my very first skill from 65% to 76%...

I mean, I recall how the last couple of percent before 100% feel, but this is like wading through molasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did something change in the way that XP is awarded, or crew XP is gained/assigned in the past year or so? I recently started playing my SU-85B again, and it took me 30 matches with an 1900 WN8 or so average to take my very first skill from 65% to 76%...

I mean, I recall how the last couple of percent before 100% feel, but this is like wading through molasses.

That's 25000 experience, which at tier 4 sounds about right. I have 829 average XP in my SU-85B, all pre-nerf, so that's 24870 XP. Did you have any crew boosters, any weekend specials, or accelerated crew training on? Even with accelerated crew training, the SU-85B has 4 crew members, so that'd be an extra 25% for each, which considering you don't get to take lots of free spotting XP now I'm guessing your average XP is lower, which probably covers the 25% from the accelerated crew training.

Skill grinding takes a lot of loving time and is the worst part of the game*. Sixth Sense should have been enabled on default crews before the game left beta - it's too important not to have. They didn't even try to monetize the fact that Sixth Sense is mandatory until last year! Hell, how long has the "crew skill overhaul" that would put Sixth Sense as a default Radio Operator function been in the works, since 2013?

e: *ignoring all the other parts like the playerbase and #snapshotmeta and other aggravating poo poo.