Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Japan and Korea have had a pretty bad relationship these last hundred years so it's not super surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Xinder posted:

The Ghost Stories dub is wonderful. I can't think of any other anime that's been so dramatically improved by the dub.

Interlude? Its dub is just the right kind of we-didn't-give-a-poo poo hammy and stupid to turn Interlude's inherent incoherence into accidental genius.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

esselfortium posted:

Interlude? Its dub is just the right kind of we-didn't-give-a-poo poo hammy and stupid to turn Interlude's inherent incoherence into accidental genius.

oh my god thank you i need to watch this dub immediately

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Xinder posted:

oh my god thank you i need to watch this dub immediately

It's glorious. Interlude is a hilarious and fascinating watch, and not nearly enough people know of its wonders.

To my knowledge, there's no English translation of the VN it's adapted from, but someone on niconico has a playthrough in 74(!) half-hour-long parts. So for the anime this was, of course, condensed into a grand total of three 40-minute OVA episodes, which works about as well as you'd imagine. It's both on-its-face hilarious (Tama is basically the best anime character ever written), and so packed with never-explained red herrings and baffling plot turns that it kind of sticks with you for a while as you try making sense of the drat thing.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 16, 2016

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Oh, I just remembered I also really liked the dub of Dragon Half.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain Invictus posted:

Japan and Korea have had a pretty bad relationship these last hundred years so it's not super surprising

the korean government and its associated right wing elements, and japan's right wing elements, constantly posture at one another, while most others don't really care, and just do business with one another. there are a ton of koreans working in anime, and then there's romi park who's a distinct voice actress. the dearth of any korean characters is failure of imagination on the part of creators. heck, the governments of china and japan are even more hostile towards one another, and i can think of a hell of alot more background chinese characters

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fly daddy fly is based on a novel by a japanese korean author and it includes a major korean character and actually does get into the issues of being korean in japan for a bit. afaik most of the authors stuff isnt translated though

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

unpronounceable posted:

What are the others? I have a soft spot for good English dubs, so when I hear about them, I usually like checking them out.

Cowboy Bebop :jerkbag: (I know.)
Panty & Stocking
Cromartie
Baccano!

Honorable Mentions go to Steins;Gate. (It had a really loving good dub, and I would put it solidly on my list if J. Michael Tatum's maniacal laugh held a candle to Miyano Mamoru's.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

What are the others? I have a soft spot for good English dubs, so when I hear about them, I usually like checking them out.

I don't know if I'd call it better than the original performances, but Haruhi's dub was one of the best I've heard.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Black Lagoon dub fits the show pretty well

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished watching Prison School and thought that it was pretty amusing. The super big-titted vice-president girl was kinda overkill as far as the fanservice went, but I thought everything else was pretty fun.

There was a whole minor arc about a girl slowly going insane because of pee/exposure related issues that, granted, were it to happen in the real world would have been horrendous to everyone involved, but I found pretty hilarious in the show.

Is there anything else *similar* in comedic low-brow comedy that maybe isn't so unabashedly ecchi or whatever that anyone'd recommend if Prison School was pretty funny? I had someone tell me Frozen was good, but I don't know anything about it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 18, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

I just finished watching Prison School and thought that it was pretty amusing. The super big-titted vice-president girl was kinda overkill as far as the fanservice went, but I thought everything else was pretty fun.

There was a whole minor arc about a girl slowly going insane because of pee/exposure related issues that, granted, were it to happen in the real world would have been horrendous to everyone involved, but I found pretty hilarious in the show.

Funny story; there's a live-action series of Prison School :v:.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funny story; there's a live-action series of Prison School :v:.

Hahaha no way. :froggonk:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

Is there anything else *similar* in comedic low-brow comedy that maybe isn't so unabashedly ecchi or whatever that anyone'd recommend if Prison School was pretty funny? I had someone tell me Frozen was good, but I don't know anything about it.

golden boy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Drifter posted:

Shimoneta.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Shimoneta.

Oh god, yes this :allears:. It's also titled "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist."

And I am forever sad it doesn't seem to have gotten an english dub.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

Ultimate Teacher
Sukeban Deka

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Seitokai Yakuindomo is pretty much constant sex jokes but isn't very fanservicey. It's less outrageous situations like Prison School and more that some of the characters are dorky pervs though

https://a.pomf.cat/xhztia.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/cabdcx.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/cbwenp.webm

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The pantie raid/bathroom raid/whatever it was early on in Prison School had me crying from laughing so hard. It was so ludicrous but the way the show pulls it off is great.

Also thanks for the Nichibros recommendation, so far it's pretty fantastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Boy, if you liked the panty raid bit, you should read the manga.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mederlock posted:

It was so ludicrous but the way the show pulls it off is great.

This is pretty much the entire show for me.

Also, thanks for all those req's; I'll be checking some of them out in the near future. :happy:

Lastly, Nichijou > Nichibros. Just wanted to clear that up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Drifter posted:

This is pretty much the entire show for me.

Also, thanks for all those req's; I'll be checking some of them out in the near future. :happy:

Lastly, Nichijou > Nichibros. Just wanted to clear that up.

Nichijou had way more misses per capita than Nichibros, though. All of the Helvetica Standard bits were horrible, and this is coming from someone who typically enjoys japan's weird convoluted pun-based humor.

Nichijou had better one-off bits, but Nichibros did story-arc humor better.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It also had a fantastic first ending. It takes balls to just repeat your last joke verbatim, and they pulled it off and made it even funnier in the process.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the best sports anime that isn't three thousand episodes long

I think the only ones I've watched are Ping Pong/Chihayafu/One Outs but I loved them all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Aim For the Ace movie is pretty cool, I wouldn't put it on par with Ping Pong by any means but like Ping Pong it gets quite creative with its visual direction.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the only ones I've watched are Ping Pong/Chihayafu/One Outs but I loved them all

nasu summer in andalusia

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Haikyuu has about as many episodes as Chihayafuru and it is amazing

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Anyone here ever watch Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou? It was, like, the only ecchi/fanservice-heavy anime (besides Golden Boy, so from this century) I've ever seen that was actually good and funny. Mainly because the protagonist actually had a spine and took most things in stride. Does anyone know anything like it that's equally entertaining?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is Nobunaga the Fool worth the time investment of watching it? I like stuff that uses real historical figures realistically or not, but I could very easily see it not delivering on its premise. Is it a satisfying series?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's completely boring and unremarkable

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

No it's completely boring and unremarkable

As is Nobunagun, incidentally. Has a pretty art style, but just drops the ball on anything else and never rises above generic.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How much better is the Blu-ray version of End of Evangelion? I've searched and searched, and I can't for the life of me find it in any shape nor form (in Europe/Region 2). Even the DVD is hard enough to track down as it is, but at least you couldn't be mislead to think it doesn't exist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

How much better is the Blu-ray version of End of Evangelion? I've searched and searched, and I can't for the life of me find it in any shape nor form (in Europe/Region 2). Even the DVD is hard enough to track down as it is, but at least you couldn't be mislead to think it doesn't exist.

Then original Neon Genesis Evangelion doesnt have a Blu-Ray release outside Japan in any form iirc. Only the Rebuild movies do.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then original Neon Genesis Evangelion doesnt have a Blu-Ray release outside Japan in any form iirc. Only the Rebuild movies do.
Ah, thought the American release had one, too. I only watch it with the original audio, but the Japanese release doesn't even have English subs as I understand. *kicks dirt*

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DrSunshine posted:

Anyone here ever watch Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou? It was, like, the only ecchi/fanservice-heavy anime (besides Golden Boy, so from this century) I've ever seen that was actually good and funny. Mainly because the protagonist actually had a spine and took most things in stride. Does anyone know anything like it that's equally entertaining?

<--------------------:colbert:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

Ah, thought the American release had one, too. I only watch it with the original audio, but the Japanese release doesn't even have English subs as I understand. *kicks dirt*

it's out there for the less scrupulous

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it's out there for the less scrupulous
I know it's out there, but even then it seems to have eluded me. :smith:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ufarn posted:

I know it's out there, but even then it seems to have eluded me. :smith:

multiple batch torrent results on nyaa

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AlternateNu posted:

<--------------------:colbert:

I don't recognize that character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I believe that's Kaiki from the Monogatari series, which is a really good fanservice-heavy show from recent years.