Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Those are the only decks people are playing.

Maybe they should have just banned loving Collected Company.

If they had done that the next card down would've become dominant and your post would be two words different.

This is standard, this is what happens in standard, ban Jace, ban Delver, ban Thragtusk, ban Thoughtseize, ban Siege Rhino, ban Jace again, ban Collected Company.

Maybe take a break and go do something else for a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they had done that the next card down would've become dominant and your post would be two words different.

This is standard, this is what happens in standard, ban Jace, ban Delver, ban Thragtusk, ban Thoughtseize, ban Siege Rhino, ban Jace again, ban Collected Company.

Ban all creatures with CMC 3 or less.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Stop calling attacking creatures knuckleheads, ffs

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheKingofSprings posted:

You say this but really what would replace CoCo? What, in your expert opinion, would instantly replace "look at your top 6 and get 2 creatures" such that it would be as dominant as CoCo is? Because I can't really think of anything that lets you anticipate twice for 1 card or lets you play 6 mana worth of creatures for 4 mana at instant speed, and yet CoCo does both of these things. So I'm really curious as to what you think the "next card down" would be that would let CoCo decks still function as they do. Failing that, which card would be the "next card down" that would enable a different deck to be as pervasive as CoCo?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Let's not pretend Anticipate is a good card in the slightest when we're making our comparisons.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cactrot posted:

Ban all creatures with CMC 3 or less.

Eldrazi's back, babyyyyyy

Yawgmoth posted:

You say this but really what would replace CoCo? What, in your expert opinion, would instantly replace "look at your top 6 and get 2 creatures" such that it would be as dominant as CoCo is? Because I can't really think of anything that lets you anticipate twice for 1 card or lets you play 6 mana worth of creatures for 4 mana at instant speed, and yet CoCo does both of these things. So I'm really curious as to what you think the "next card down" would be that would let CoCo decks still function as they do. Failing that, which card would be the "next card down" that would enable a different deck to be as pervasive as CoCo?

I think his point is that there will always be cards to complain about

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Brisela makes an appearance on stream, immediately dies to topdecked Tragic Arrogance :negative:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Nibble posted:

Brisela makes an appearance on stream, immediately dies to topdecked Tragic Arrogance :negative:

Comes back to win the game! Oh yeah

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nibble posted:

the second Brisela did work tho

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rosewaters announcement was that contraptions are not in Kaldesh, please take a moment to laugh at these people

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

AceClown posted:

Rosewaters announcement was that contraptions are not in Kaldesh, please take a moment to laugh at these people

That's awesome.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's even funnier now that we know that the likely artifact gimmick is going to be vehicles and not contraptions.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

TheKingofSprings posted:

You realize it's possible for one card to be head and shoulders above all others in terms of its ability to warp formats, especially when its effect is so unique and especially in a format like standard which is least able to bear these sorts of effects when they pop up, right?

edit: i mean bant coco was 39% of the day 2 meta today, ffs. thragtusk wasnt that level of hosed

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 24, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jace's Masterstroke 1U
Instant
You win the game.

They should print this card. If it's not dominant, the next card down will be dominant instead, so it won't really change anything. Plus, this way we don't get stalled boards!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Jace's Masterstroke 1U
Instant
You win the game.

They should print this card. If it's not dominant, the next card down will be dominant instead, so it won't really change anything. Plus, this way we don't get stalled boards!

make it UUU and we have a deal

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

AceClown posted:

The thing he accidentally got everybody hyped up about was actually some comedy video. Guessing the Kaladesh contraption bit was in response to a Q&A or something.

This doesn't refute your actual point though :allears: :homebrew: #mtgfinance

EDIT: proposal to change :homebrew: to :mtgfinance: (or...just :mtg: :v:)

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 24, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bitprophet posted:

EDIT: proposal to change :homebrew: to :mtgfinance: (or...just :mtg: :v:)

:signings: is a better choice imo

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
What are the chances Lone Rider will be constructed play? The downside is it's a 1/1 but you have enough booster like Always Watching, Thalia's Lieutenant, Gryff's Boon, etc. to boost it up for a transformation. It seem like a very annoying enemy that must be dealt with fast or it can becomes a threat.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Waffleopolis posted:

What are the chances Lone Rider will be constructed play? The downside is it's a 1/1 but you have enough booster like Always Watching, Thalia's Lieutenant, Gryff's Boon, etc. to boost it up for a transformation. It seem like a very annoying enemy that must be dealt with fast or it can becomes a threat.

I don't think it's good enough with the format defining spells and creatures bouncing around. Maybe W or Wr Humans just assembles so many threats that you can't deal with it profitably, but you'd need to assemble two of those buff effects to get the transform ability down. Maybe it'll see play after CoCo rotates out, but I'm not liking it's odds before then.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Its upside is very high, but a 2 mana 1/1 is loving awful in the aggro decks we currently have and its upside isn't worth running bad cards just to enable it.

If they end up printing a powerful card that enables it incidentally and also fits into a deck that would want to run it it could see some play, but it doesn't have the support to make it work right now .

E: It That Rides As One would be loving awesome with an active Tamiyo. There's pretty much nothing that will stop it from drawing cards and gaining life.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 24, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Some idiot actually voted to watch a bant company mirror. Find him and beat him.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Voyager I posted:

If they end up printing a powerful card that enables it incidentally and also fits into a deck that would want to run it it could see some play, but it doesn't have the support to make it work right now.

Ojutai's command exists but lone rider is still bad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
2002: ban Island
2016: ban Forest

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

uninverted posted:

Ojutai's command exists but lone rider is still bad.

They don't really belong in the same deck. Lone Rider would need a generic good white card on the level of Sylvan Advocate or Reflector Mage that a bunch of decks want to play already which would also happen to turn it on quickly and reliably.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

joke_explainer posted:

TRUMP: I always win in Magic: The Gathering. I've got the best cards. The best thing about my tournament deck is that it's all land. Real estate is only going up, they're not making any more of it.

REPORTER: No, Donald, I mean, they're constantly making more... every set has more land, Donald, every pack.

TRUMP: Listen, you don't understand the game. You can't comprehend the level of sophistication on my strategies. I've made a career of this, I've been very successful, we're going to ban all the non-white cards from tournament play. I've got a great understanding of the rules, I always have my play judged by the best judge I know, the smartest man I know: Me, I have a very good brain.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I'm disappointed that Bant Company is guaranteed a spot in the finals. Would love to see Aintrazi take it down.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm disappointed that Bant Company is guaranteed a spot in the finals. Would love to see Aintrazi take it down.

Isn't he the guy who keeps cheating on camera but never gets called out on it?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
If he is I'm not aware of that. If that is the case...... I'd almost still rather see him win than Bant Company, heh.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

anglachel posted:

Isn't he the guy who keeps cheating on camera but never gets called out on it?

The only thing involving him I can think of was an invitational where he played tron with mismatched tron lands and was using tron mana without having the correct lands in play. Turned out he actually had the right one in hand all along and I think it was decided it was an honest mistake. He's was a pretty friendly dude the one time I played him at an Open.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Are you sure you're not confusing Aintrazi with Fabritzio Anteri?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

To be clear Queller isn't worth 15, it's about 10, but SCG will sell them to rubes for 15.

It's not gonna be 10 for long either as a non mythic rare.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Joe Lossett is cool

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's not gonna be 10 for long either as a non mythic rare.

Rabblemaster was averaging $15 as a none mythic rare that only had a home in one deck so the precedent is there.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The only thing involving him I can think of was an invitational where he played tron with mismatched tron lands and was using tron mana without having the correct lands in play. Turned out he actually had the right one in hand all along and I think it was decided it was an honest mistake. He's was a pretty friendly dude the one time I played him at an Open.

Apparently he's done all of the following (and this just what was on camera in the last year)

*Played 2 Land in One Turn to beat an opponent (this most recent) after shuffling his deck, he just so happens to top deck a key card he would need to keep in the game https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/79583287?t=04h31m53s

*The Tron Lands Incident https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/5836448?t=50h43m00s
*Tried to play Kozilek with Zero Colorless Mana https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/55350240?t=08h40m20s
*Treating Hangarback Walker as though it has haste https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/18931622?t=01h34m30s
*Argued with an opponent and browbeating them into them not playing their land for the turn, by lying and pretending he didnt miss a land drop last turn. https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/33172752?t=04h53m00s

When people keep making mistakes that only benefit them, it's called a pattern of behavior.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Llanowar Wastes:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AceClown posted:

Rabblemaster was averaging $15 as a none mythic rare that only had a home in one deck so the precedent is there.

That was from a core set though. There's always less supply of those because nobody actually likes core sets.

Unless it's a complete flop there's going to be a lot more EDM opened than M15, and there are more Spell Quellers per EDM pack than Rabblemasters per M15 pack.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

anglachel posted:

Apparently he's done all of the following (and this just what was on camera in the last year)

*Played 2 Land in One Turn to beat an opponent (this most recent) after shuffling his deck, he just so happens to top deck a key card he would need to keep in the game https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/79583287?t=04h31m53s

*Tried to play Kozilek with Zero Colorless Mana https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/55350240?t=08h40m20s
*Treating Hangarback Walker as though it has haste https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/18931622?t=01h34m30s
*Argued with an opponent and browbeating them into them not playing their land for the turn, by lying and pretending he didnt miss a land drop last turn. https://www.twitch.tv/scglive/v/33172752?t=04h53m00s

When people keep making mistakes that only benefit them, it's called a pattern of behavior.

Yea I have this pattern of behaviour. It's called being poo poo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

anglachel posted:

How do the commentators miss this poo poo? He untapped with two lands, made one play, and was forced to skip his land drop due to a lie. Haha, that darn one land per turn rule, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

anglachel posted:

Ah I didn't know about all that. Too bad, I usually like his decks.

• Locked thread