Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't mind it, but it doesn't make much sense. What happens when you build a ship wider than the doors? Suddenly your huge gently caress-off spacedock isn't compatible with the newest ships.

Then you just scale up the design and completely rebuild it.
Or you hastily reedit old footage to make it seem like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

WickedHate posted:

Even combat focused, Trek uses space as a naval allegory. You don't have fighters for the same reason you don't have little one seater boats zooming around enemy battleships with machine guns lobbing grenades onto the deck.

DS9 showed fighters in the large space battles, and reminder that the Akira-class is still a carrier-style spaceship even if it has more torpedo tubes and phaser arrays than a 4K tv has pixels.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Timby posted:

To hell with the Excelsior, it's ugly.

Timby posted:

Ugh, I hate that giant space mushroom (much like I hate almost all of ILM's Trek designs).

Sorry you hate all things Cool and Good. Are you a big Ent-E fan or something?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

SourKraut posted:

DS9 showed fighters in the large space battles, and reminder that the Akira-class is still a carrier-style spaceship even if it has more torpedo tubes and phaser arrays than a 4K tv has pixels.

I think those fighters only make sense as an act of desperation. The Feds need every ship they can get, so they mobilize anything that can fly and carry a weapon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
internal spacedocks domt make any sense. If something happens, you've created a giant traffic jam as everyone scrambles for the door. The whole design is just to increase tension during the Stealing The Enterprise sequence,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

Sorry you hate all things Cool and Good. Are you a big Ent-E fan or something?

No, I want John Eaves to die in a fire. But ILM's Trek movie designs in general are terrible. Case in point: Nilo Rodis designed the Bird of Prey when the script called for the Romulans to be trying to get Genesis. Then it changed to Klingons. Did he alter the design, considering the Klingons never had any sort of avian imagery associated with them?

:downs: Nah.

And, really, it's because Nimoy didn't give a poo poo about the look of the movie. He and Bennett literally had one pre-production meeting with ILM (primarily to discuss blowing up the Enterprise), and then they said, "OK, go do your thing."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't mind it, but it doesn't make much sense. What happens when you build a ship wider than the doors? Suddenly your huge gently caress-off spacedock isn't compatible with the newest ships.

The idiocy of the design is illustrated in the very next movie after it's introduced, when a giant space burrito shuts down Spacedock and seemingly most of Starfleet with some space dubstep.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 24, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

internal spacedocks domt make any sense. If something happens, you've created a giant traffic jam as everyone scrambles for the door. The whole design is just to increase tension during the Stealing The Enterprise sequence,

In non-canon sperg stuff at least (or maybe even in the designer's notes, who knows), they could pressurize the inside of the mushroom to make it an actual dry dock. So it makes sense in that respect, at least.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Subyng posted:

I think those fighters only make sense as an act of desperation. The Feds need every ship they can get, so they mobilize anything that can fly and carry a weapon.

I mean, the Akira class carries 40 "fighters" specifically, so I think the Federation was starting to move in that direction.

Which I liked a lot (but I also like Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica so I might just like fighters in my space battles).

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't really mind the Discovery, while it would be awesome if it was some kind of Federation/Klingon joint project, I think they just refined the old Phase II design and it's just a coincidence. My first thought was the design (and registry) looks a generation ahead of TOS, aside from the deflector dish, which is pure movie era. But now the more I think about it I think somewhere around movie era probably does make more sense, both because of the design source and details like the dish and that little streak of blue along the nacelles. Looks like a transitory state between the solid nacelles of the TOS era and the blue-line nacelles of the Excelsior on.

Otisburg posted:

I'm bummed that in the new film The Enterprise A didnt take more design cues from its prime universe counterpart.
Same, I couldn't even really tell any differences in the quick 15-second look you get at it. It looked to me like they just scaled up the nacelle struts a lot. Which considering they'd already changed the nacelle struts between the last movie and this one, wasn't all that impressive. I was hoping they were going to take the opportunity of the Enterprise going boom to do something more drastic, especially after that teaser line early in the movie about the next generation of ships still being under construction or whatever.

SuperDucky posted:

Jesus you loving nerds, I'm frankly shocked at all the love Beyond is getting. Especially because they tried to go to warp explicitly and immediately after the goddamn deflector had been destroyed.
I gave up on caring about that long ago, since no writer seems to be able to keep that straight. Then you have ships like the Miranda and Oberth that don't have deflector dishes in the first place. Now I just assume you can run with forward shields up all the time as an alternative. Plus it's not like they were going to be able to warp out through that asteroid belt/nebula anyway, I justified it that they were just going to jump to the other side of the system to buy a few seconds to recoup, and not worry about dinging up the hulls with micrometeors since everything was pretty hosed by then anyway.

Subyng posted:

I took it as a specific counter to the Dominion's tiny bugships, which were a lot smaller and more maneuverable than any Federation ship.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Presumably there's nothing to deflect in subspace (new fluidic warp effect aside). They would just jump somewhere else and chill out as they repaired the deflector so they could cruise outta there.

Timby posted:

And, really, it's because Nimoy didn't give a poo poo about the look of the movie. He and Bennett literally had one pre-production meeting with ILM (primarily to discuss blowing up the Enterprise), and then they said, "OK, go do your thing."
I've heard a lot about Nimoy sucking as a director and causing a lot of stress with production staff. Any good stories about that?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 24, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Knormal posted:

I don't really mind the Discovery... My first thought was the design (and registry) looks a generation ahead of TOS,...

No, NCC-1031 isn't necessarily pre-TOS. The Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine" was NCC-1017, remember, and it was the same class as the Enterprise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

I've heard a lot about Nimoy sucking as a director and causing a lot of stress with production staff. Any good stories about that?

Well, Nimoy's flaws as a director are primarily in that he has no real sense of moving the camera, and his only real compositions are close-ups and two-shots. Beyond that, he didn't have much of a leash on Shatner and basically let him do his own thing. My other knock on him is that he just didn't care about the art and production design. Sure, ILM worked on Star Trek II, but it was under the art direction of Joe Jennings and Michael Minor, who were reporting to Bob Sallin. Nimoy and Bennett just decided to defer to ILM's design department, which is how we got monstrosities like Spacedock and the nonsensical Oberth class.

Behind the scenes, he didn't have much of an issue with anyone on The Search for Spock (he would just get hammer-drunk during shooting breaks), but he and Harve Bennett clashed regularly on the set of The Voyage Home; Nimoy basically felt that after the success of III, he now had the clout to say, "No, gently caress you, Harve, we're doing it my way" -- which is why, for example, Leonard Rosenman was hired to write the score, as he was one of Nimoy's close friends. He basically verbally abused the poo poo out of Bennett throughout the shoot and in post-production, which is why Bennett took a ton of convincing to come back for The Final Frontier, as he was nervous about working with a first-time director again and didn't want a repeat of his experiences with Nimoy. Of course, he later said in an interview that he quickly realized that "Bill was easy to con," which made him feel more at ease about doing the movie.

Edit: Nimoy and Meyer also clashed frequently during the making of The Undiscovered Country.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 24, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Drone posted:

In non-canon sperg stuff at least (or maybe even in the designer's notes, who knows), they could pressurize the inside of the mushroom to make it an actual dry dock. So it makes sense in that respect, at least.

I was wondering if that area was supposed to contain atmosphere or not, because that'd actually make for an almost absurdly safe work environment for drydock crews. No dangerous long falls since you're in a zero-g environment, but you also don't have to worry about a damaged suit losing pressurization or the possibility of accidentally walking between a pressurized and unpressurized compartment if you're doing internal work on a damaged ship.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Otisburg posted:

Orbital Support makes sense, and has probably happened in some episodes. The only one I can think of was Kirk ordering a phaser strike on the Hippy Planet's Computer God tho.
My favorite part was in the gangster planet episode, where they had an orbital strike with the phasers on Stun. And it worked! Because gently caress you, that's why!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why the gently caress would a starship have a stun setting? What could you possibly use that for outside of this one specific case?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Because the Federation is a police state with ships in orbit constantly ready to taser anyone making trouble.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why the gently caress would a starship have a stun setting? What could you possibly use that for outside of this one specific case?

comes up more times than you think

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If you can't think of a bunch of use cases for an orbital stun cannon, you just aren't trying.

In addition to variations on the reason why Kirk did it, you could also use it to disable people who have gone insane due to psionic attacks etc. and are not to blame for their actions, but are engaging in organized military stuff. (You could also use it for riot control, insert bleak police state filter here.) It would also be useful against dinosaurs etc. on the surface who might need some studying and/or are fixing to eat the crew, but which you don't want to risk destroying the crew to take down.

Fine control over your death beams could also be useful for like, science and poo poo. Like those "phaser sweeps" they used to spot out dirty Changelings.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It sure would have saved Weyland-Yutani a lot of trouble in getting specimens.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Some kind of magical wide orbital stun beam would make ground warfare outside of shielded/armored vehicles literally impossible too.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
You never know when you may have to stun a giant spaceborne organism. Or alter the phasers to perform a c-section on one.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timby posted:

Well, Nimoy's flaws as a director are primarily in that he has no real sense of moving the camera, and his only real compositions are close-ups and two-shots. Beyond that, he didn't have much of a leash on Shatner and basically let him do his own thing. My other knock on him is that he just didn't care about the art and production design. Sure, ILM worked on Star Trek II, but it was under the art direction of Joe Jennings and Michael Minor, who were reporting to Bob Sallin. Nimoy and Bennett just decided to defer to ILM's design department, which is how we got monstrosities like Spacedock and the nonsensical Oberth class.

Behind the scenes, he didn't have much of an issue with anyone on The Search for Spock (he would just get hammer-drunk during shooting breaks), but he and Harve Bennett clashed regularly on the set of The Voyage Home; Nimoy basically felt that after the success of III, he now had the clout to say, "No, gently caress you, Harve, we're doing it my way" -- which is why, for example, Leonard Rosenman was hired to write the score, as he was one of Nimoy's close friends. He basically verbally abused the poo poo out of Bennett throughout the shoot and in post-production, which is why Bennett took a ton of convincing to come back for The Final Frontier, as he was nervous about working with a first-time director again and didn't want a repeat of his experiences with Nimoy. Of course, he later said in an interview that he quickly realized that "Bill was easy to con," which made him feel more at ease about doing the movie.

Edit: Nimoy and Meyer also clashed frequently during the making of The Undiscovered Country.

Is there a good book I can read about all of this? If not, can you expand on Nimoy and Meyer fighting?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If they do a movie era show I really hope they use the red uniforms because they are objectively the best uniforms in Star Trek.

I've always liked the Phase II Enterprise design, my only beef was that the body was disproportionaly large. The Discovery's just right.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm hoping we don't just get another variant on the TOS uniforms.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really like the Motion Picture uniforms, but they just don't work for Star Trek, which is practically defined by the bright red/yellow/blue color scheme.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

Dramarama
Jesus. Nimoy was kind of a dick.

A few years ago he released a photobook of overweight models. He called in as a guest to KROQ's Kevin and Bean show (big mistake) and one of the hosts snuck in a question about wide-angle lenses. (cuz the ladies be fat).

Nimoy's voice went from calm to WhatTheFuckDidYouSayMotherfucker soooo fast. Now I know.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Movie was good. I have a number of nerdo quibbles, but that's to be expected. I liked it way more than I thought I would.

My one real gripe is that they once again created a totally unnecessary action sequence at the end with the gravity nexus chase scene. There were transporters all over the station, and likely other ships present as well. There was no need for Kirk to chase the maguffin down. Also, should have shot him instead of chatting. You have a stun setting. He is a terrorist with a bioweapon. Shoot him. Chat later.

Generally, though, quite enjoyable. That one scene definitely did get me right there.

I'll echo what has been said by at least one goon that the 3D wasn't very good and only really was pretty in the end credits sequence, but that was 99% generic Space Stuff.

The series teaser is rear end quality, but I'm still excited because I am a doormat fanboy. Wasn't there some recent news about it being on Netflix too, or did I dream that?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FilthyImp posted:

Jesus. Nimoy was kind of a dick.

A few years ago he released a photobook of overweight models. He called in as a guest to KROQ's Kevin and Bean show (big mistake) and one of the hosts snuck in a question about wide-angle lenses. (cuz the ladies be fat).

Nimoy's voice went from calm to WhatTheFuckDidYouSayMotherfucker soooo fast. Now I know.

Is this online somewhere? I need to hear it

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I saw Beyond today and I was surprised how much it didn't suck. I was on a high for Trek and then... God drat that Discovery trailer. They didn't want to kill fan films because of Axanar silliness - it's because fan films could easily look better than this cheap rubbish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

If not, can you expand on Nimoy and Meyer fighting?

For background, Meyer and Nimoy hashed out the story at Meyer's beach house; Nimoy opened by asking Meyer, "How would you like to tell a story about the Wall coming down in space?" That sold Meyer, and they walked up and down the beach all day just breaking down the story beat-by-beat. They then went their separate ways, with Meyer intending to write the script with Denny Martin Flinn, his longtime friend who was dying of cancer.

However, there was a massive power struggle going on at Paramount. Frank Mancuso, Paramount's president, had reached out to Nimoy to spearhead the movie after Gulf + Western chief Martin Davis raised the mother of all fits over Harve Bennett's plan to do the Starfleet Academy movie for the 25th anniversary. However, there were a couple of other Paramount executives -- Sid Ganis, who was the head of the movie studio, and his lieutenant, Teddy Zee -- who were actively campaigning to get Mancuso replaced, and so they brought out Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal, the writers of noted cinematic classic Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, telling Nimoy and Meyer that they had this exciting young writing team and they would just love it if they would meet with them. Nimoy wanted no part of it because he immediately smelled studio politics, and Meyer was reticent because it was already starting to reek of what happened on Star Trek IV (he and Bennett lost WGA arbitration on IV and had to share script credit with Steve Meerson and Peter Krikes, the guys who wrote the Eddie Murphy draft that was tossed), but he decided he would meet with these two bobos as a courtesy. Here's where things started to get ugly.

In their meeting, Meyer brought the entire, detailed outline that he and Nimoy had created that day on the beach, as well as some early script pages, and basically handed everything over to them. They came back a few weeks later and had literally plagiarized the entire thing (just changing the words, basically) and put their names on it. Though they were fired shortly thereafter, Nimoy was furious, later saying "I wanted to kill the son of a bitch (Meyer)," and it only got worse during post-production when he lost WGA arbitration and the credits were going to read "Story by Konner and Rosenthal, script by Meyer and Flinn." Nimoy hit the roof, called his lawyer and said that if it weren't resolved over the course of the weekend, he was personally going to sue the WGA, Paramount, Konner, Rosenthal and Meyer. At the eleventh hour they finally agreed on "Story by Nimoy, Konner and Rosenthal, script by Meyer and Flinn."

There were also some arguments during filming. Nimoy was one of the people uncomfortable with some of the racially charged tones of the script (not to the extent that Nichols and Brock Peters were, but he was still bothered by it), and he fought tooth and nail against the mind-rape scene, which wasn't in the shooting script -- as written, after Valeris reveals the conspirators, Kirk asks where the peace conference is, there's a two-second beat and Spock calmly says she doesn't know and that they should contact Excelsior. Nimoy felt that there was no way Spock would violate his principles like that, but Meyer overruled him. Lots of little fights like that added up and much like how The Voyage Home wrecked Nimoy's relationship with Bennett, Undiscovered Country almost totally destroyed his friendship with Meyer.

Wowbagger2004 posted:

They didn't want to kill fan films because of Axanar silliness - it's because fan films could easily look better than this cheap rubbish.

Axanar was actively profiting from selling Trek-branded merchandise and its producers were constantly going on social media proclaiming themselves to be the true heirs to the throne of Star Trek and that they would show that usurper JJ Abrams what's what. That's why CBS and Paramount sued the poo poo out of them: A first-year law student could explain how that's textbook tortious interference. And they're still letting Continues finish up its production run; the new guidelines very clearly say that they reserve the right to apply "selective enforcement" of the rules (translation: Talk to us first, and don't be a dick like the Axanar jackwagons, and we might look the other way).

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2016

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Even combat focused, Trek uses space as a naval allegory. You don't have fighters for the same reason you don't have little one seater boats zooming around enemy battleships with machine guns lobbing grenades onto the deck.

No, because that's dumb.

You give them torpedoes or anti-ship missiles and, well, turns out that's a great idea.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Sash! posted:

No, because that's dumb.

You give them torpedoes or anti-ship missiles and, well, turns out that's a great idea.

Yeah but those didn't exist in the 18th century, which is what Star Trek combat has always been about (with a sprinkling of WW2 submarines)

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Sash! posted:

No, because that's dumb.

Yeah, but you can shoot those same torpedoes and anti ship missiles with a bigger boat.

space fighters have been discussed at length and the conclusion now that they don't work without some kind of arbitrary restriction. In the Gundam universe, they explain it by having spacecraft's power sources emit a kind of radiation that renders long range sensing devices useless, necessitating that combat move into visual range.

Of course the rule of cool trumps all.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 24, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is this online somewhere? I need to hear it
http://www.kevinandbeanarchive.com/...-2007-11-28.mp3

Skip to about 5:45. Now that I hear it again it's not quite as angry, especially because the other non-jackwad hosts paper it over as quickly as possible.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Allen_Aldo posted:

Does this mean the new trek will be heavily 2001 inspired like TMP?

If the ship's computer is an ultra-polite murderbot, that would definitely be a changeup.

So, why didn't anyone tell me the Blu-Rays have the original TV trailers?! If I'd known I would be able to hear every "On the next... exciting episode of Staaaaaahrrr Trek: The Next Generation!" again, I would have bought these ages ago.

I wanted to see something that would show off the restoration, so I threw in The Neutral Zone for the first Warbird appearance. Gave up on the stupid "thawed out 20th century humans" plot about fifteen minutes in - I'd forgotten how much they were still copying TOS even this late in the first season, with less formal dialogue and Picard throwing Kirk-style hissyfits. ("...on MY ship?!") The biggest thing I noticed was that they corrected just how dark the first season was - the lighting is a lot more consistent with the rest of the series. The downside is that it really shows off the higher-speed film, so it's pretty grainy. But that's what I get for picking a first season story!

The Warbird de-cloaking and flying up was gorgeous, of course. And, while I remembered that the Romulan Captain was Marc Alaimo, I didn't realize how much he straight-up played it exactly the way he would play Gul Dukat, all the way down to the way he sat with his hands folded. Beautiful.

Not having the BAH BAH DA DA DA DAAA Paramount music at the end of the closing credits was disappointing, though. :sigh:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Couple of things I liked in Star Trek Beyond:

The part where Kirk wasn't flirting with every woman he met

Sulu's line, "You kidding me, sir?", which came off significantly more cool than that speech he gave in STID which amounted to "I have weapons and will shoot you with them"

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drone posted:

Kirk sure did take his loving time sounding abandon ship though.

I have to admit I expected someone to scream WHAT SHIP!? at that point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fighters.

http://i.imgur.com/Kqq4Pea.gifv

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What was the episode of TNG where some species that had barely achieved space flight/warp drive and had been hitting the enterprise for several hours with laser weapons and doing basically nothing? Like they were down to 99% shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

What was the episode of TNG where some species that had barely achieved space flight/warp drive and had been hitting the enterprise for several hours with laser weapons and doing basically nothing? Like they were down to 99% shields.

The Outrageous Okona, I think?