Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I should really get around to watching IBO, shouldn't I?

I liked it a lot, others didn't like it at all. Season 2 starts in October, so now might be a good time to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Droyer posted:

I like how they're the only mech Gjallarhorn uses. They're an incredibly powerful world-spanning organization, of course they have a standardized unit. Makes the world feel more cohesive.

Yeah like even the Ace Custom suits are just like Here's a Graze, but with a lance instead of a rifle and a few extra boosters to zip around faster. It's really neat.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
IBO is by far the best Gundam show we've had in a long, long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My overall feelings on IBO is going to depend a lot on Season 2. I loathed S1's ending and Naze Turbine is my least-favorite Gundam character ever but there's a lot of potential and S2 could easily resolve the problems I had with S1's ending. (Aside from the lameass death fakeouts but marketings gotta market.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My feelings on IBO after season 1 is that while I liked it enough to finish it, I felt that it started stronger than it finished and I liked pretty much everything G-Reco did more.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

IBO's ending made me laugh because that one comic was 100% right

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
After a bunch of garbage like G-Reco and AGE, IBO is such a huge refreshing upswing in quality for the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should check it out then. Remains to be seen if it will top either Thunderbolt or Origin for current series in my book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I should check it out then. Remains to be seen if it will top either Thunderbolt or Origin for current series in my book.

Probably not. Thunderbolt has a lot of problems but (possibly due to its length) it's a lot more overall competent. That said it depends on if you like the themes of one more than the other too.

IBO has a lot of individually strong moments but it's also the kind of show where a character first discusses their long-lost brother literal seconds before they are attacked out of nowhere by their long-lost brother.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

Probably not. Thunderbolt has a lot of problems but (possibly due to its length) it's a lot more overall competent. That said it depends on if you like the themes of one more than the other too.

IBO has a lot of individually strong moments but it's also the kind of show where a character first discusses their long-lost brother literal seconds before they are attacked out of nowhere by their long-lost brother.

So closer to Unicorn, then, where any contextual information or exposition is only conveyed through dramatic speeches and monologues.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

So closer to Unicorn, then, where any contextual information or exposition is only conveyed through dramatic speeches and monologues.

I wouldn't say quite to that level but there's a fair bit of speechifying as one of the main characters is literally a Supernaturally Gifted Politician whose speeches are tremendously influential. It does have some very good subtle worldbuilding though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Yeah like even the Ace Custom suits are just like Here's a Graze, but with a lance instead of a rifle and a few extra boosters to zip around faster. It's really neat.

And they even had explanations for why they weren't just mass producing the good stuff. The Schwalbe Graze was a better suit than the basic graze, but it's also fiddly as hell. The basic graze hit a balance between quality, usability, and price that made it pretty much a go-to, especially since everyone else had to use upgunned forklifts or suits centered around salvage.

(Nice little worldbuilding touch how everything else was moderate value, but when Tekkadan sold an Ahab Generator, they goggled at the money, since getting one of those outside Gjallarhorn is more than a little difficult)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think part of the reason I couldn't like IBO was too great expectations after the really great G-Reco. From the start it's characters rubbef me wrong by being way more stock archetypes and clichés played completely straight and then I reached the Space Harem episode and I nope'd out of there.

It's still better than AGE or Seed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And they even had explanations for why they weren't just mass producing the good stuff. The Schwalbe Graze was a better suit than the basic graze, but it's also fiddly as hell. The basic graze hit a balance between quality, usability, and price that made it pretty much a go-to, especially since everyone else had to use upgunned forklifts or suits centered around salvage.

(Nice little worldbuilding touch how everything else was moderate value, but when Tekkadan sold an Ahab Generator, they goggled at the money, since getting one of those outside Gjallarhorn is more than a little difficult)

It's interesting how you could see what made the Graze better than other designs, too. The Gundams were based off impossible-to-replicate lost technology. The Grimgerde and the Hyakuren family were limited-run machines that used incredibly rare and expensive materials. The Man Rodi had to massively overclock its reactor to get decent performance with all that armour, giving it an extremely short operation time. That left the Graze, a good all-rounder that you could quickly, simply equip for any mission and have it do well, and that was simple enough to use and cheap and easy enough to assemble that even if you came up against something nasty, you'd have plenty of buddies to back you up.

I actually did an effortpost on Grazes a little while back. That said, IBO's other mook-suits are pretty lovely as well, from the adorable child-soldier-piloted ball of destruction that is the Man Rodi to the sleek, stylish Hyakuren family. I'm not sure about the Season Two Graze, though - the colour scheme is too bright and cartoony after the S1 machines' drab shades, the melee weapons look weird, and the designs of the head and hip armour don't look like they'd do its mobility/flexibility many favours. Might be alright for an elite brigade while the regular Grazes do their thing on the regular, though.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 25, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Who is Naze Turbine and why is he bad?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd wait until the verdict is out on S2. The show starts with an interesting premise but quickly becomes about multiple long-lost brothers who aren't mentioned beforehand and die pretty much immediately after they're introduced and a parade of cartoonishly ineffectual jobber villains.

It's possible they're saving the payout for S2, but it's not worth wasting over 8 hours on a show on the possibility that it might have a redeeming second season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Naze Turbine is a character from IBO and he is a member of the space mafia who befriends the protagonist group.

His flaws are basically as follows:

A) He's effectively the male version of Lacus Clyne. He's a super-nice awesome dude who befriends the protagonist and guides them and gets them upgrades and basically undercuts a lot of the interesting ideas of the show. He feels like someone's fanfiction character who is so great and perfect and awesome and everyone loves him

B) He lives on a literal harem ship piloted by his many wives who are all adore and love him and have his many children but it's okay because he rescued them from bad circumstances so there's nothing creepy about it. It is, in fact, held up as a model example of a 'non-standard family' in the show itself.

C) At least in Season 1 he is a blunt and boring character who has no depth to him. He works for the space mafia but conveniently is divorced from anything sketchy enough to make him unsympathetic. The show never actually really gives him any meaningful depth in a show where it at least waves its hands at making other characters a bit deeper. His fanfiction aura is so strong that at the end of Season 1 he sends his wives to support the Tekkadan and they are brutally attacked by a horrifying cyber-soldier in a way that looks like violent death and they survive basically unscathed. This is in a show where previously cockpit blows and damage is shown as horrifying, crippling and fatal. This conveniently allows him to sidestep any sort of bad emotions or feelings.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 25, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Lovable-rogue Jovian mobster who becomes the main benefactor of our heroes a third of the way through the show (well, his parent organisation do, but he and his crew are Tekkadan's first and primary point of contact with their new employers). In what appears to be a reflection of Orga's company being comprised of child soldiers who need to fight in order not to starve, his crew is a giant harem of women who he offered safety and a future in a part of space generally lacking in either. He's a major, feared political player, a cunning strategist, and a great boss/husband who represents, along with his crew, an apparent best-case outcome for Tekkadan, and he almost instantly becomes Orga's new hero. The show's themes indicate that he offers something of a false temptation (because while ensuring that vulnerable, exploited people have an OK time of it is all well and good, the better option would be them not getting exploited at all), and can't offer or live as good and sustainable a life as he thinks he can, not least because his boss is a lot more sketchy than he is, but like much that is ominous or disturbing about our heroes and the path they're on, this can is kicked down the road to Season Two. That leaves him as coming across as a bit irritatingly perfect, and can give a viewer the impression that the more unnerving parts of his lifestyle are intended to be shown as cool and good.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Microcline posted:

I'd wait until the verdict is out on S2. The show starts with an interesting premise but quickly becomes about multiple long-lost brothers who aren't mentioned beforehand and die pretty much immediately after they're introduced and a parade of cartoonishly ineffectual jobber villains.

It's possible they're saving the payout for S2, but it's not worth wasting over 8 hours on a show on the possibility that it might have a redeeming second season.

Yeah this is hilariously wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Season 2 ever actually addresses "Hey Naze, you're exploiting these women" I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If Season 2 ever actually addresses "Hey Naze, you're exploiting these women" I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I imagine it'll do it as a parable for 'Hey, Orga, you're exploiting your buddies'. Tekkadan is a transitional process to give these kids their lives back, not an end-goal in itself, and he seems to have forgotten that along the way. Mikazuki wanted to be a farmer - now he's the murder-mascot of a gang of child soldiers for hire, piloting a suit that's basically a giant corporate logo. The Turbines will probably serve as a reminder - I'm expecting them to take major casualties, possibly even after being betrayed by McMurdo, causing Naze to realise and admit to Orga that he wasn't keeping his girls safe after all, and maybe fell a little too in love with the idea of being this badass mobster.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

IBO's ending made me laugh because that one comic was 100% right

I'm willing to let that slide on a guess that the second season got approved right at the eleventh hour, so some stuff got a hasty rewrite rather than those fakeouts being planned from the start.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I did like how IBO was largely (at least up till I stopped watching) gun weapons. Like people still got one-shot when the plot called for it but being plausibly able to trade hits made things feel a lot more "real" I guess. I was watching SEED the other day and the only person landing any hits in the fight was the dude with the mace-chain thing, cause lasers would just explode each other

edit: Ahh, that's cool VVV

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's still no beam weapons as of the end of season 1. And the only new weapon so far is just a dragonslayer for Barbatos, so still no sign of lasers yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have a feeling if lasers show up they're going to be at the very end as a 'oh poo poo' weapon and not a moment before. I wouldn't be shocked if they avoid them entirely.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm willing to let that slide on a guess that the second season got approved right at the eleventh hour, so some stuff got a hasty rewrite rather than those fakeouts being planned from the start.

This is pretty much the only reason that makes sense to me. The show had been extremely consistent about how mobile suit combat kills people for the entire series up until that very last moment, and I can't imagine that they originally planned for the Final Boss of season 1 to achieve effectively nothing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The final boss did something, he just wasn't the actual combat boss.

Considering how much a grunt suit costs, Tekkadan having and maintaining like 20 mobile suits means they made some absurd bank off that mission. This is considering they were about to sell a Gundam just because they were so broke at one point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

The final boss did something, he just wasn't the actual combat boss.

Considering how much a grunt suit costs, Tekkadan having and maintaining like 20 mobile suits means they made some absurd bank off that mission. This is considering they were about to sell a Gundam just because they were so broke at one point.

Getting a politician elected in the face of a full-blown siege probably got them some serious gratuity from him, along with more work.

Especially as those things look custom-ordered/designed considering Mobile Suits are a seriously scarce thing. That can't be cheap.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

it's specifically mentioned they become edmonton's (i think) official defense contractor in the final episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

it's specifically mentioned they become edmonton's (i think) official defense contractor in the final episode.

I still think it's funny that the actually city caught wind of the last few episodes and went "oh neat, we're in anime!" on twitter :allears:. Having the city turn out to be actually based on the real version instead of just a named future-city was an unnecessary but nice detail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still think it's funny that the actually city caught wind of the last few episodes and went "oh neat, we're in anime!" on twitter :allears:. Having the city turn out to be actually based on the real version instead of just a named future-city was an unnecessary but nice detail.

Weird that it's Edmonton of all places, but still a neat factoid. I'd have figured Vancouver would be the more likely candidate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Weird that it's Edmonton of all places, but still a neat factoid. I'd have figured Vancouver would be the more likely candidate.

Presumably, Vancouver was destroyed in the Calamity War.

Nobody could be bothered to destroy Edmonton.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also, and this is just me speculating here, but it's possible that McGillis' changes to how Gjallarhorn work make it easier to aqcuire mobile suits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't forget it's set 300 years after carastrophic global war. Vancouver might well be a smoking crater.

e;fb :argh:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

Yeah this is hilariously wrong.

What's wrong here? After McGillis decides to become an off-brand Char the antagonists consist of Galio, Carta, and Ein. It's kind of hard to take Gjallarhorn seriously as solar system-spanning oppressors when they accomplish nothing and die by the dozen to literal children.

Kanos posted:

This is pretty much the only reason that makes sense to me. The show had been extremely consistent about how mobile suit combat kills people for the entire series up until that very last moment, and I can't imagine that they originally planned for the Final Boss of season 1 to achieve effectively nothing.

It's pretty apparent we got 13 episodes of content in a 25-episode show. It sets up a number of great conflicts around what characters are willing to sacrifice for their ideals (would you make a deal with a devil? Would you allow someone you care about to die? Would you risk reintroducing total war on a scale that could annihilate planets?), but it ends with Orga/Kudelia getting to have their cake and eat it too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Microcline posted:

What's wrong here? After McGillis decides to become an off-brand Char the antagonists consist of Galio, Carta, and Ein. It's kind of hard to take Gjallarhorn seriously as solar system-spanning oppressors when they accomplish nothing and die by the dozen to literal children.

As opposed to all the other gundam shows, where this doesn't happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

As opposed to all the other gundam shows, where this doesn't happen.

Honestly?

Yes, in other Gundam series, the villains are extremely effective and dangerous. The protagonists struggle frequently and it's often implied they're surviving through the sheer superiority of their machines rather than the ineptitude of their enemies, at least until the pilots become more skilled.

In IBO there are multiple fights resolved when the villains literally decide to pose dramatically and then get owned in a comical-slash-horrible fashion. It's a problem with IBO not thematically (where it makes sense) but in that it devalues and weakens the would-be threatening antagonists because none of them can actually be a danger despite their many advantages.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Villains dying by the dozens to literal children is something that happens in every gundam show, so acting as though it's an issue with IBO specifically is disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Also part of the in universe explanation was that they got to use the AV system so they had this huge leap in being able to control their gundams compared the regular controls their enemies were using

I mean yeah they were stupid, but I thought that was the point? They'd been at the top for so long, they'd forgotten what a real fight was