Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Jygallax posted:

Uhm, a reddit comment that said it was reporting what was said at the press conference. :ohdear:

Ah, cheers, bit of an inaccurate translation then. Suspicion is pretty close to saying "it could be possible and we're looking into it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
I'll be interested to hear the reason he was denied asylum.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The interior ministry now confirming it was a bomb.

... oh poo poo

http://m.faz.net/aktuell/gesellscha...h-14356143.html

I like how the article states it's "possible" he wanted to kill other people alongside himself. maybe that's what he wanted, or maybe the guy going to a concert with a bomb strapped around himself never intended to hurt anybody :psyduck:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The new normal in central Europe

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Celexi posted:

The new normal in central Europe

gently caress off.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

pidan posted:

... oh poo poo

http://m.faz.net/aktuell/gesellscha...h-14356143.html

I like how the article states it's "possible" he wanted to kill other people alongside himself. maybe that's what he wanted, or maybe the guy going to a concert with a bomb strapped around himself never intended to hurt anybody :psyduck:

The question is the one of motive. Yeah, he wanted to blow up a bunch of people.

But did he want to blow up a bunch of people because he thought the concert was blasphemic, or because he held a grudge over being denied asylum?

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.

Mithaldu posted:

The question is the one of motive. Yeah, he wanted to blow up a bunch of people.

But did he want to blow up a bunch of people because he thought the concert was blasphemic, or because he held a grudge over being denied asylum?

If it's true that he was suicidal it may have been a confluence of all three factors, i.e. being generally unstable, being angry and depressed over being denied asylum, with a sprinkle of jihadist ideology thrown on the top to add that last bit of justification in his mind.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

"Unklar ist laut Herrmann, ob der Mann in suizidaler Absicht handelte oder andere Menschen mit in den Tod reißen wollte"

The question of whether he had a terrorist motive is discussed separately.

But really, why'd it have to be Ansbach? That place always seemed like it'd be in the running for Germany's most boring town. Next thing you know there'll be an attack in Hof or Bonn or something.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Exactly. The investigations still need to figure out exactly what cocktail of crazy this flower was.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

pidan posted:

But really, why'd it have to be Ansbach?
He lived in a refugee home there.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

lol of course it way a terrorist attack

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

gently caress off.

We had three terrorist attacks in 11 days (and a killing spree and a coup spilling over in between), what the gently caress else would you call it? They don't even bother to fly the flags at full mast anymore.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ArchangeI posted:

We had three terrorist attacks in 11 days (and a killing spree and a coup spilling over in between), what the gently caress else would you call it?

America :911:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ArchangeI posted:

We had three terrorist attacks in 11 days (and a killing spree and a coup spilling over in between), what the gently caress else would you call it? They don't even bother to fly the flags at full mast anymore.

Maybe people will appreciate the Israeli government now, because they are dealing with this poo poo for ages.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

We had one domestic killing spree, one murder by a retarded spurned lover and one that may turn out to be a terror attack, but has not yet been determined to be such.

Terror attack means: Politically motivated.

So: gently caress off.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

We had one domestic killing spree, one murder by a retarded spurned lover and one that may turn out to be a terror attack, but has not yet been determined to be such.

Terror attack means: Politically motivated.

So: gently caress off.

Nizza? Würzburg? Ring any bells?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

If you are not talking about the three most recent incidents, then say that clearly and upfront next time.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Okay, so apparently we can't deport people from Syria back to Syria. Makes sense. How about we take a look at what the British did after ww2, carve up a piece of desert, send them there and let them establish their own state. Since they will probably all be muslim, I guess it's going to be an islamic state :downsrim:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Your Daily Terrorism brought to you by...

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

If you are not talking about the three most recent incidents, then say that clearly and upfront next time.

quote:

We had three terrorist attacks in 11 days

Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Entbindet dich nicht von der Pflicht klar zu kommunizieren.

After all the shitposting over the weekend, don't expect me to give a poo poo about a poo poo stirrer who may be right, but can't even be bothered to speak clearly.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
So how's Merkel doing in the polls right now?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Siehe: Germany Discussion (closed sundays)

If anybody is doing polling, we'll see that over the week.

Though i don't even know if germany has a regular polling culture like the usa. Do we?

Edit: From the 7th July.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 25, 2016

az
Dec 2, 2005

Our polling is rather sparse compared to the US but they do love their polls a lot.

2016 status: still bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tagesschau posts a Deutschlandtrend like every week or so. At least it feels that way at times, while sometimes it seems to take longer. It might take a while until recent events are actually reflected in the polls, in any case.

So, look. I'm not saying twelve people injured is a great turnout or anything, but it seems like that coulda gone a lot worse and the security measures at the entrance seem to have sort of worked even if it was just a ticket check. (And what kind of inept terrorist doesn't find a way to get a ticket, anyway?) That's good. Really, if you already got to the point where someone walks around with an armed explosive, you know some poo poo's going down.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What, no Riso coming in going "neener neener, toldya so" ?

Really disappointed.

2016 blows. I have a friend who has a theory that David Bowie was what was tying the universe together, and now he's gone it's coming unraveled. Looking more and more likely.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sonntagsfrage mein Neger: http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm

There's the Landtagswahlen on that page too, and if you click on the polling institute names you get to see the numbers over time.

The main reason Merkel is holding up is that the government has been moving towards the AfD on asylum. Ansbach is going to provide further impetus to erode protections against deportation for example. States have been pointing to their increasing deportation numbers as proof that they're doing something, and there was a bit of a media discussion a while back of alleged abuses of the medical exemption to deportation.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Jygallax posted:

I'll be interested to hear the reason he was denied asylum.

Very few people from Syria can claim asylum, as they are not politically persecuted but here as GFK refugees (though not all of Syria is a war zone). So they get a Duldung, this guy is the norm.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

2016 isn't all that bad yet.

To match the per capita gun death rate the USA has reached in 2016 alone, with the german per capita murder rate, you need to reach back over 5 years.

http://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/2229/umfrage/mordopfer-in-deutschland-entwicklung-seit-1987/

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Keep in mind this poo poo is in the news because it's still extraordinary. Get worried when it stops being news-worthy internationally. :/

aphid_licker posted:

Sonntagsfrage mein Neger: http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm

There's the Landtagswahlen on that page too, and if you click on the polling institute names you get to see the numbers over time.

The main reason Merkel is holding up is that the government has been moving towards the AfD on asylum. Ansbach is going to provide further impetus to erode protections against deportation for example. States have been pointing to their increasing deportation numbers as proof that they're doing something, and there was a bit of a media discussion a while back of alleged abuses of the medical exemption to deportation.
Danke.

And yeah, the bavarian minister of the interior is already calling for stronger deportation reasons.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

And yeah, the bavarian minister of the interior is already calling for stronger deportation reasons.
Reasons why Bavaria is a strategically good terrorism target: if you want to promote distrust against the people you intend to recruit and radicalize by leveraging that distrust, there's no better place to reliably trigger statements and measures to that effect from an elected official.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bavaria truly is Germany's Texas.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Reasons why Bavaria is a strategically good terrorism target: if you want to promote distrust against the people you intend to recruit and radicalize by leveraging that distrust, there's no better place to reliably trigger statements and measures to that effect from an elected official.

Given that the guy allegedly did not want to pay the entry fee for the musical festival he planned to bomb and that's the reason he only killed himself, I'm not sure your average terrorist is concerning himself with the political landscape of Germany and where his attack would have the biggest long-term strategic impact.

Especially since the CSU is basically staying course. If you wanted to have some real impact you would target regions that don't have a CDU government to pressure the SPD and Green into action against Muslims. I guess that makes Reutlingen a great target, especially given it's proximity to Tübingen, where the most sane Green, Boris Palmer, is based.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm not sure your average terrorist is concerning himself with the political landscape of Germany
That part doesn't matter much, since terrorists are usually directed by others.

And the bomber did have a phone call before he went out, though it's unknown as of yet with whom.

About the rest you probably know more than i do.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly don't think it's government statements that are the major driver of distrust a day after a literal suicide bombing by a Syrian.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Meh, you can probably get a "Hitler did nothing wrong!" out of some regional East German politicians if you allahakbar enough people over there.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

David S. liked AfD.

quote:

David flüchtet sich mehr und mehr in die Welt der Computerspiele. Vor allem der Ego-Shooter Counter-Strike hat es ihm angetan. Laut einem Mitspieler meldet er sich in Chats unter Namen wie "Amokläufer" und "Hass" an. Dort lebt er offenbar auch seine Wut auf die Türken aus. Er habe "Türkei =ISIS" gepostet und die rechtspopulistische AFD verehrt, berichtet der Mitspieler.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

Meh, you can probably get a "Hitler did nothing wrong!" out of some regional East German politicians if you allahakbar enough people over there.

You can get that without doing literally anything at all so this is setting the bar a bit low.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Poggenburg twitter still going strong.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Bavaria truly is Germany's Texas.

So what are the regional stereotypes in germany then? I always assumed that munich was the more cultured artsy place and say dortmund was rougher more working class (I can only think in terms of football teams :) ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
People whose asylum claims are denied should be returned to their countries of origin: an unreasonable opinion.