Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rnr posted:

I used this set for a lot of home improvement and in the wood working thread mentioned tree house construction (in itself around 250 screws I think): https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Diamond...mpactor+bit+set
I thought for a second 'well, I mean, if it were guaranteed these things would never fail, I guess I could spend that kind of money'. Then I realized I would absolutely, undoubtedly, lose those bits over the course of a year anyway.

Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nmfree posted:

When I was a kid I was expected to rotate the deck while my father stood there and held the screwdriver still.

Son, you know you're better for it now mow the lawn with ya teeth, the food stamps done run out

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
All this talk of camming and impact drivers is giving me flashbacks of this weekend removing the goddamn screws from my rotors on my Accord, gently caress those screws.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

All this talk of camming and impact drivers is giving me flashbacks of this weekend removing the goddamn screws from my rotors on my Accord, gently caress those screws.

Just FYI, those are JIS screws, which don't cam out unless you use a Phillips #3 on them

You can get the right bits from a few places online.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

sharkytm posted:

Just FYI, those are JIS screws, which don't cam out unless you use a Phillips #3 on them

You can get the right bits from a few places online.
If they were anything like the rotors on my TL (which they are), mine were just rusted solid to the rotor.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

deimos posted:

I've owned a hand impact driver for years, and the only thing I've EVER used it for was to remove those two screws that hold on Honda rotors.

F Honda, and F those screws.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Just FYI, those are JIS screws, which don't cam out
Maybe not, but they drill out real nice like, since they rust solid to the hubs any place where they salt the roads in the winter.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Speaking of impacts, I'm about to do my first suspension install ever on my car.. I think an impact will make the job easier. I'm on a budget and I don't have a ton of storage space, so an electric is appealing.. but I'm not sure it's up to the job. Should I be looking at a cheap compressor from HF for this type of job?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Should I be looking at a cheap compressor from HF for this type of job?

I would. A compressor really opens up a new world of useful and powerful tools that frankly, electric versions can't touch. The added benefit is that air tools are very cheap, since they don't need expensive motors, batteries, or electrical circuits.

As for HF...I haven't used their compressors, and I would probably see what other options are out there. It seems like Craftsman and Ridgid also make compressors around the same price that are probably slightly more reliable than HF and may have a better warranty.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Maybe not, but they drill out real nice like, since they rust solid to the hubs any place where they salt the roads in the winter.

Or you live on an Island.

Google Butt posted:

Speaking of impacts, I'm about to do my first suspension install ever on my car.. I think an impact will make the job easier. I'm on a budget and I don't have a ton of storage space, so an electric is appealing.. but I'm not sure it's up to the job. Should I be looking at a cheap compressor from HF for this type of job?

Depending on your budget go with a Senco 1-2HP or a better California Air Tools 1-2HP (the 10020C is probably your best fit, or a 1HP if that's your budget), you want around 4 CFM @ 90 PSI for most 1/2" impacts if you don't want to wait for it to refill after a few trigger pulls. I recommend you don't cheap out too much on either and get a decent wrench (Ingersoll Rand is pretty much the industry standard but there are others) too.

And for the love of all that is sacred please get a torque limiter stick if you're going to do tires.

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 21, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

I don't get why Phillips are so poo poo. Pozidrive is the same basic + shape, but knocking in 3" PZ wood screws I don't have nearly the same about of trouble as PH.

Philips screws were designed at a time when it was difficult or expensive to control fastener torque with the tool (i.e. a torque wrench or slipper clutch). The Philips head + driver are designed to cam out with overtightening, preventing the installer from using too much torque. A slightly damaged screw head is better than one that's broken off.

These days they're pointless and stupid and everything should be socket head hex or Torx or Robertson.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

Or you live on an Island.

Depending on your budget go with a Senco 2HP or a better California Air Tools 2HP (the 10020C is probably your best fit), you want at least 4 CFM @ 90 PSI for most 1/2" impacts. I recommend you don't cheap out too much on either and get a decent wrench (Ingersoll Rand is pretty much the industry standard) too.

And for the love of all that is sacred please get a torque limiter stick if you're going to do tires.

Aircat or the HF Earthquake are also solid choices. I have both, and they're about equal, although I think the Aircat is a little quieter.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Aircat or the HF Earthquake are also solid choices. I have both, and they're about equal, although I think the Aircat is a little quieter.

Yeah IR is not the be-all end all just usually the one I've seen used as a measuring stick, edited my post to reflect that (and other nuances I originally left out).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is there any truth to the story that Phillips took off in the US because Robertson wouldn't give Henry Ford an exclusive deal to use his design?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Is there any truth to the story that Phillips took off in the US because Robertson wouldn't give Henry Ford an exclusive deal to use his design?

This article suggests that the Phillips screw was invented specifically for car manufacturers in the 30's. The Robertson apparently dates to 1908.

Wikipedia posted:

When Henry Ford tried out the Robertson screws, he found that they saved considerable time in Model T production, but when Robertson refused to license the screw design, Ford realized that the supply of screws would not be guaranteed and chose to limit their use in production to Ford's Canadian division.

So it's not so much the lack of exclusivity as it was the lack of openness in the license. Too bad we didn't have open-source screw designs in the early 20th century! :v:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a WW2 era Hamilton 21 Navy Chronometer. The wood case it lives in was made by the Heintzman Piano Co and apparently one of the first large scale uses of Phillips Head screws.

So I guess they have probably served their purpose and we should abandon Phillips.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have a WW2 era Hamilton 21 Navy Chronometer.

You can't just say something like this without posting pics.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Here it is, horrible Phillips screws and all:
https://imgur.com/a/Kzc3f

Keeps a steady .5 sec/day loss. Probably delivered to the USB in 1945 or so.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Xposting this to AI as well.

Group buy on Norseman drill bits

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264210
NORSEMAN drill group buy

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

My workshop is almost complete!

Scored a bunch of cool things off my dad;
- Triton workbench with tablesaw and router tops
- Power Saw
- Power Mitre Saw
- Router + bit set
- (almost) complete set of metric spanners
- Set of chisels (had to spend about an hour with his wetstone to bring them back to life, despite the temptation of his bench grinder)
- A lot of clamps
- Some files
- A few rasps
- Rubber mallet (would have been handy six months ago when doing some bricklaying)

This adds to the other stuff I've gotten off him;
- Saw horse
- Dremel
- Finishing sander
- Drill press

To quote my dad "I'd rather you use it than it sit up in the loft collecting dust"

Going to pickup a shopvac tomorrow because dust just gets shat everywhere, probably wouldn't hurt to put up a proper ceiling (someone at some point added this two car garage to the side of the house, it doesn't have a concrete pad under the garage, they put up joists to hang a plasterboard ceiling but never finished it.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This article suggests that the Phillips screw was invented specifically for car manufacturers in the 30's. The Robertson apparently dates to 1908.

So it's not so much the lack of exclusivity as it was the lack of openness in the license. Too bad we didn't have open-source screw designs in the early 20th century! :v:

Robertson refused to license out his design because the first time he tried to do so, in the UK, he was immediately ripped off. He guarded the square drive jealously after that, and the socket hex drive was partially an attempt to find the next best thing that wouldn't infringe Robertson's patents.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Here it is, horrible Phillips screws and all:
https://imgur.com/a/Kzc3f

Keeps a steady .5 sec/day loss. Probably delivered to the USB in 1945 or so.

:swoon:. That's a beautiful timepiece.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Help! What kind of saw blade should I get for my circular saw? I mostly use it for cross cutting, but also have used it a bit for ripping.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Help! What kind of saw blade should I get for my circular saw? I mostly use it for cross cutting, but also have used it a bit for ripping.

If you use it for woodworking look for a "finishing" thin kerf blade 40 or 60 teeth (and if woodworking is your life or you have money to burn a Forrest :swoon:). If it's just general carpentry and don't-give-a-fuckits about finish just get the biggest baddest framing saw blade you want.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

yeah get a freud diablo with a bunch of teeth

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

deimos posted:

If you use it for woodworking look for a "finishing" thin kerf blade 40 or 60 teeth (and if woodworking is your life or you have money to burn a Forrest :swoon:). If it's just general carpentry and don't-give-a-fuckits about finish just get the biggest baddest framing saw blade you want.

Do they make a 60 tooth circular saw blade nowadays? I don't know but I've maybe seen 1 40 tooth ever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Freud makes a 40T ultra fine, ultra thin kerf. It's like the scalpel of circular saw blades.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I slapped this Diablo blade into my circular saw, which I used for a bunch of miscellaneous cuts for building my workshop. Crosscuts, rip cuts, and a lot of plywood. It's not fine woodworking, but it's worked just fine.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I slapped this Diablo blade into my circular saw, which I used for a bunch of miscellaneous cuts for building my workshop. Crosscuts, rip cuts, and a lot of plywood. It's not fine woodworking, but it's worked just fine.

That's a very reasonable price and Freud have been good for like ever. I honestly did not realize 40 teeth for a skilsaw was a thing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I've got a DeWalt 235mm circular saw, the blade in it has too much sap on the face of it to tell what it is, but it's got carbide teeth, I'd guess maybe 40 or 60 teeth, but it's pretty blunt. Is it worth trying to sharpen it?
I'll probably get a 20 tooth one for chopping up scrap wood for firewood.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Spookydonut posted:

I've got a DeWalt 235mm circular saw, the blade in it has too much sap on the face of it to tell what it is, but it's got carbide teeth, I'd guess maybe 40 or 60 teeth, but it's pretty blunt. Is it worth trying to sharpen it?

How much do you feel like saving $10-50? Because that'd be about the cost of buying a new blade, depending on how good a blade your original is and assuming you're able to sharpen it back to like-new quality.

Personally I'd just buy a new blade.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Do they make a 60 tooth circular saw blade nowadays? I don't know but I've maybe seen 1 40 tooth ever.

Freud makes a 60T they call "ultra finish". And Forrest makes this, but it's definitely on the extremely specialized end of the spectrum.

Spookydonut posted:

I am with the above poster, scrap it and buy a $20 (40-60T) finish blade and a $10 (24T) framing blade.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 27, 2016

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I bought a house and I need some power tools. I like to think I'll do a bunch of poo poo around the house but its hard to say whether thats going to be the case so I'm kind of leery about investing too much. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with 12v or 18v. I would assume if I end up not doing as much as I'm thinking 12v will be better due to cheaper/smaller and 18v would be better if I do end up doing more plus it'll be better to have the beefier line if I end up investing in more tools from the system beyond a drill. Is that an accurate line of thinking? Next, are there certain 12v systems that are preferable that aren't necessarily better to look into if I go with 18v? Any opinions on http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-drill-for-common-household-projects/ since they mostly look at 12v drills? I'm also not adverse to trolling the pawn shops looking for used older but still reliable drills even though I'd likely need to pick up a bettery/charger for it. Any suggestions would be great! I might be overthinking this since generally it seems like Milwaukee/DeWalt/Makita are probably fairly similar and come down to how much I want to spend.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I, too, just bought a house and I purchased the Bosch DDS181-02 that was recommended as the "upgrade option" in the Sweethome article. I have zero complaints about the drill itself. The battery is long lasting and I haven't been wanting for more power at all. The one thing to think about though is if you plan on buying other cordless tools. I have no desire for any other cordless tools, so I went with the Bosch. But if you plan on buying a cordless circular saw, drill, and other cordless tools, you might want to look at brands where you can use the same battery in all of those tools. Milwaukee, Ryobi, Dewalt, etc. all have lots of options that use the same battery. Bosch doesn't really have a huge lineup of such tools, so that would be the only knock against it, IMO.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Bosch doesn't really have a huge lineup of such tools, so that would be the only knock against it, IMO.

Bosch 18v has all of the contractor-grade drills, impactors, grinders and saws that Dewalt and Milwaukee has, even a couple radios and a light. However, it doesn't have all the toys Ryobi has like leaf blowers, portable fans, and, weedwhackers.

If someone is doing actual demo/reno/additions, Bosch is great. If someone is installing one set of shelves and wants to use those batteries to weedwhack later, Ryobi is fine. Dewalt and Milwaukee for a bit of both.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The absolute best plus for Ryobi 18V is the yearly two pack of high capacity for $100.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Bosch 18v has all of the contractor-grade drills, impactors, grinders and saws that Dewalt and Milwaukee has, even a couple radios and a light. However, it doesn't have all the toys Ryobi has like leaf blowers, portable fans, and, weedwhackers.

If someone is doing actual demo/reno/additions, Bosch is great. If someone is installing one set of shelves and wants to use those batteries to weedwhack later, Ryobi is fine. Dewalt and Milwaukee for a bit of both.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Bosch has a couple tools that use the same battery, Ryobi and others have probably 2-3x more. If you want or need the whole assortment, it's something to consider as a difference between the brands. Like I said, I have no complaints about the drill itself, I just wasn't aware I couldn't go buy a Bosch cordless leaf blower, for example.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I had major problems with some Ryobi batteries but still recommend them because of their great selection which includes yard tools. Their cordless trimmer and weed wacker are great. So is their inflator, fan and nailgun.

For tool tools Milwaukee M12 is great all around. My latest edition is their stellar cordless handheld vac which gets daily use by my wife for bug killing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Spookydonut posted:

Dewalt makes disposable blades and excellent woodworking blades. The latter are definitely worth sharpening. Either way if you have a spare toothbrush and some degreaser you can remove the pitch in a minute or two and it will probably cut almost like new. Rinse with water to remove any leftover degreaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

Dewalt makes disposable blades and excellent woodworking blades. The latter are definitely worth sharpening. Either way if you have a spare toothbrush and some degreaser you can remove the pitch in a minute or two and it will probably cut almost like new. Rinse with water to remove any leftover degreaser.

Good tip. I also learned about using oven cleaner to do that.