Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

The Dr. Strange movie :) She got the names all mixed up I guess :3

Perhaps Marvel should rename this movie Dr. Strange(love) or How I Learned to Love Inception

In all seriousness, I'm pretty hyped for that film. Over under on the probability that Shuma Gorath is the big villain?

Oh, duh. I was trying to think of a trailer that LOOKED like Dr. Strangelove or reminded me of it. can't believe I was that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

In all seriousness, I'm pretty hyped for that film. Over under on the probability that Shuma Gorath is the big villain?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

What did you think of Rise of an Empire, btw? I actually kind of liked it, but couldn't compartmentalize my feelings about it.

It's extremely good, but definitely tricky since it doesn't have (as much of) 300's hyperbolic cartoonishness. A lot of it is dryly intellectual - reliant, to some extent, on your foreknowledge of the actual history. So, you know, you have one of the fathers of democracy literally lusting after this despotic Alien Queen (equated, as she is, with his nightmare-vision of monstrous sea serpents).

Of course the reality was rather more mundane - but the whole point of the 300 series is to flip subtext into text. I like that it deflates 300 by recontextualizing it into just one flashback among dozens. The sheer number of flashbacks-within-flashbacks is impressively absurd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

The Thor logo is a bit concerning - I hope this isn't Marvel doubling down on retro nostalgia. Guardians is enough.

while on the whole I'd be against Marvel doing that, if we get Thor 3: Blood Dragon out of it I'm gonna be absurdly goddamn happy

one of these Marvel movies just taking an 80s aesthetic and revelling in it would unironically loving own, the nouveau-80s aesthetic may be "played out" but I am still a huge mark for it

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I've been excited for Doctor Strange for a long time and the trailer finally showed the reality-bending that I wanted.

But in one trailer/poster Wonder Woman has usurped it. Goddamn.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

while on the whole I'd be against Marvel doing that, if we get Thor 3: Blood Dragon out of it I'm gonna be absurdly goddamn happy

one of these Marvel movies just taking an 80s aesthetic and revelling in it would unironically loving own, the nouveau-80s aesthetic may be "played out" but I am still a huge mark for it

If there's one concept that is suited to the full-80s metal treatment, it is frickin' Ragnarock.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone tell me the music in the Justice League trailer is a cover of a Steppenwolf song.

Jesus christ ... either trolling or a small child.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just assumed it was the Black Keys before being reminded that it was the band the Black Keys ripped their awful shtick off of

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Aquaman actually seems pretty interesting just from the trailer, so that's a bonus.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just assumed it was the Black Keys before being reminded that it was the band the Black Keys ripped their awful shtick off of

the awful shtick being Blues Rock?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus christ ... either trolling or a small child.

Look, I don't like the White Stripes, so I thought it was a bad cover. That's why I was asking the question.

I mean jesus, they have a villain named Steppenwolf and they go with the loving White Stripes. That's some cosmic stupidity right there.

Edit: there's been enough terribl covers of good songs in movies lately that it was my first thought.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 25, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

the awful shtick being Blues Rock?

watered-down drums-and-guitar jeans commercial blues rock, yes

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
BEEN THINKING ABOUT MY DOORBELL WHEN U GONNA RING IT, WHEN U GONNA RING IT

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mean jesus, they have a villain named Steppenwolf and they go with the loving White Stripes. That's some cosmic stupidity right there.

He ain't in the trailer, buddy. Let them have any of the effects work for him done and I'm sure they'll have a cover of The Pusher ready.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just finished watching the BvS Ultimate Edition. Movie still owns.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Movie goes from garbage to mediocre with the Ultimate Edition. Still way too loving long.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just finished watching the BvS Ultimate Edition. Movie still owns.

A lot of those new scenes are great. It makes explicit what you'd have to extrapolate in the theatrical cut. It changes the courtroom scene completely too. Some scenes probably could have stayed cut, though. Like the forensics lady (minus her phone call) and the saucier bathroom stuff. Brevity and all that.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Jimbot posted:

... the saucier bathroom stuff. Brevity and all that.

It's the best love scene in comic book movie history.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KVeezy3 posted:

It's the best love scene in comic book movie history.

nah that's Nite Owl and Silk Spectre loving in the batplane.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm so loving hyped for Wonder Woman.

OH poo poo

Other than no GL, that is perfect :allears:

Those heels are loving unbelievable

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am in no way trolling but Suicide Squad still looks kinda bad to me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The only aspect that keeps disappointing me in the trailers is Harley Quinn. Maybe the character works better in full context, but all of her dialogue has been pretty dreadful so far. Otherwise, I am boarding the hype train.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

omg chael crash posted:

Those heels are loving unbelievable

They are called wedges.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Vintersorg posted:

They are called wedges.

Right.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh Henry

https://www.facebook.com/henrycavill/videos/1164230150264506/

:allears:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

He seems like such a fun sweet guy... when he's not playing Superman.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Marky Marx posted:

He seems like such a fun sweet guy... when he's not playing Superman.

He didn't meet your smile quota?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty alright with a soundtrack choice that's not the blindingly obvious. I love Black Sabbath but having Iron Man played up and down in the Iron Man trailers and movie kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's about something entirely else :argh:

Slugworth posted:

The only aspect that keeps disappointing me in the trailers is Harley Quinn. Maybe the character works better in full context, but all of her dialogue has been pretty dreadful so far. Otherwise, I am boarding the hype train.
I really, really want Suicide Squad to be good, but from everything I've seen it's trying to hit a certain over-the-top tone that's actually pretty hard to hit but seems easy, and that's not usually a good sign.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I agree I like all the casting and scenes so far from everybody except Harley. I really don't like the look or her dialogue. It's really on the nose and trying too hard which is surprising when she's beside what looks like the same Joker but he really is blowing me away with how good he is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love the faces.

http://i.imgur.com/D7JPPAy.mp4

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hodgepodge posted:

If there's one concept that is suited to the full-80s metal treatment, it is frickin' Ragnarock.

If they go full Conan the Barbarian-type of movies minus nudity, I'm super sold.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Desperado Bones posted:

If they go full Conan the Barbarian-type of movies minus nudity, I'm super sold.

Chris Hemsworth nudity would probably make it the highest grossing film of all time.

Jeff Goldblum should probably keep a little mystique though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chris Hemsworth nudity would probably make it the highest grossing film of all time.

Fox has the rights and J-law is tired of playing her anyway

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Jimbot posted:

Like the forensics lady (minus her phone call)

Yeah what was up with that? Seems like a huge waste of Jena Malone; even after her cut scenes are back in she's got like 3 minutes of screen time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Flash just electrocutes everything and everyone around him when he uses his speed?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah what was up with that? Seems like a huge waste of Jena Malone; even after her cut scenes are back in she's got like 3 minutes of screen time.

One trick in Dawn Of Justice is that a lot of the 'normal humans' are given superhero-like traits to reflect their hidden potentials. Like, you have a guy named Wally given a futuristic wheelchair to let him 'stand for something', which is reflected in the later Cyborg clip.

Malone's celebrity cameo status, too-perfect blonde hair and Clark Kent glasses make her look like she should be batgirl or something, but she's really 'just' a crime-lab technician.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Justice League trailer makes me think "awesome heist movie" and I'm bummed it's just gonna be generic villain smashing

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Justice League trailer makes me think "awesome heist movie" and I'm bummed it's just gonna be generic villain smashing

They are going to steal Anti-Life Equation from the most guarded planet in the Galaxy!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guardians of the Galaxy shoulda been a heist movie, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Have you seen those buns in The Fly? Dude can get it.

• Locked thread