Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:vince:

gently caress that is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems like the only way this could have ended after this is badly, but :lol:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Deep down we all want to do dumb poo poo with machines, but somehow racial and religious harmony eludes us.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I maintain that this is car poo poo :colbert:

A $200 3D printer (Wanhao i3), maybe $100 in filament (WYZ brand ABS is what I'd recommend - you just need the different colors and will end up with extra), and maybe $40-50 in bearings/fasteners. Worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibIXaNXtqQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Is there a car parked right in the middle of where your construction site camp is going to be, despite no parking signs having been up for 2 weeks in advance? Do you happen to have a reasonably-sized forklift? Funny how problems just seem to solve themselves :)

This isn't the first time we've had to do this, and the guys are getting pretty good at it. We were debating putting it on top of a shipping container or something.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 24, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So I saw this a few minutes ago;

and then I went to find out what the deal is because it looks like a modern day tweaking of an old car. Turns out no, this is a 1961 Corvette 'Kelly' which just looks like it's modern due to the quite fantastic forward thinking design work gone into it. It is 1 of 1, designed by a guy called Gordon Kelly.

Look at dat rear end :allears:

The interior is more 'of the time' but is still pretty drat sweet

If I didn't know better I would've assumed it was possibly a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, definitely Italian, certainly not a Corvette.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

A $200 3D printer (Wanhao i3), maybe $100 in filament (WYZ brand ABS is what I'd recommend - you just need the different colors and will end up with extra), and maybe $40-50 in bearings/fasteners. Worth it.

In the same vein...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gEY6VzVSuo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Same guy, even.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

88h88 posted:

If I didn't know better I would've assumed it was possibly a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, definitely Italian, certainly not a Corvette.

That's probably because it's a coachbuilt car done by the italian coachbuilder Vignale, who actually did make bodies for Ferraris! :eng101:

If you haven't watched the Petrolicious video on the car, do it. It's fabulous. It's literally some random guy wanted to have his own car made, so he ordered a Corvette chassis from the factory (which wasn't entirely without precedent - there were lots of coachbuilders around at the time and a lot of very wealthy people had new bodies made for Cadillacs and the like), and sent it to Vignale for them to build a body for it based off of his design.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ishikabibble posted:

That's probably because it's a coachbuilt car done by the italian coachbuilder Vignale, who actually did make bodies for Ferraris! :eng101:

If you haven't watched the Petrolicious video on the car, do it. It's fabulous. It's literally some random guy wanted to have his own car made, so he ordered a Corvette chassis from the factory (which wasn't entirely without precedent - there were lots of coachbuilders around at the time and a lot of very wealthy people had new bodies made for Cadillacs and the like), and sent it to Vignale for them to build a body for it based off of his design.

Oh there's a Petrolicious video? Amazing, thank you!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Is there a car parked right in the middle of where your construction site camp is going to be, despite no parking signs having been up for 2 weeks in advance? Do you happen to have a reasonably-sized forklift? Funny how problems just seem to solve themselves :)

This isn't the first time we've had to do this, and the guys are getting pretty good at it. We were debating putting it on top of a shipping container or something.
How do you stand with that sort of thing over there? In the UK, you can move a vehicle if it's causing an obstruction, but are liable for any damage caused doing so.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

Same guy, even.

I didn't even notice that. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

88h88 posted:

and then I went to find out what the deal is because it looks like a modern day tweaking of an old car. Turns out no, this is a 1961 Corvette 'Kelly' which just looks like it's modern due to the quite fantastic forward thinking design work gone into it. It is 1 of 1, designed by a guy called Gordon Kelly.

The interior is almost entirely original from the Corvette donor. But exterior...yeah I definitely would've gone with Italian.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Geirskogul posted:

You know, I kinda want to do one of the heads and find out how it flows. Toooootally not an abuse of the flowbench at work, nope.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

What is the best wagon?

THE POWER WAGON:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Dodge-...cvip=true&rt=nc

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

You know, I kinda want to do one of the heads and find out how it flows. Toooootally not an abuse of the flowbench at work, nope.

Can you flow test a 35% scale head? Because I have some extra filament and a printer. What temperature does your flowbench get to? ABS starts softening at around 200C.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Good lord, that's perfect.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

KozmoNaut posted:

Boss came to work once to get the 3.5 ton truck for moving stuff and someone was parked across the main roller door. Thing was there's like 10 car parks not in front of the roller door all empty on a weekend.

He only just managed to get the fork out attached a snap strap to the tow bar and wrenched it out into the street at a ridiculous angle.

Taped a note to the whole front of the windscreen, " Don't park there oval office," using half a roll of tape in the middle of summer, in 72 point font, took the van and locked up.

Camera shows the owner coming back around 4 hours, spending about an hour getting the tape off the windscreen.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Geirskogul posted:

Can you flow test a 35% scale head? Because I have some extra filament and a printer. What temperature does your flowbench get to? ABS starts softening at around 200C.

It might be easiest to fiddle the scale to accept valves I have laying around, but yeah. PLA would work fine on the flowbench too, it doesn't actually get hot. I actually have a printer myself and have been looking for an excuse. Either this or one of our heads (R&D facility for a small engine manufacturer)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Puddin posted:

Boss came to work once to get the 3.5 ton truck for moving stuff and someone was parked across the main roller door. Thing was there's like 10 car parks not in front of the roller door all empty on a weekend.

He only just managed to get the fork out attached a snap strap to the tow bar and wrenched it out into the street at a ridiculous angle.

Taped a note to the whole front of the windscreen, " Don't park there oval office," using half a roll of tape in the middle of summer, in 72 point font, took the van and locked up.

Camera shows the owner coming back around 4 hours, spending about an hour getting the tape off the windscreen.
The old man used to be a locomotive engineer for CN for many years. Much of his time was in a subdivision which was very rural and in the foothills of the rockies. In the mid 80s there were reports of poaching and the crew were pretty sure they knew which vehicle it was because they saw an "unknown" truck parked near the side of the track right-of-way several times literally in the middle of nowhere. Well, they saw it again and evidence very close to it of poaching moose out of season.

He knew drat well the guy would be long gone before the fish cops got there, so he and his conductor take matters in their own hands and tied some massive logging chain they had to the axle of the truck and the knuckle of the locomotive and dragged the truck up the loving mountain about 2 miles... ripping the front end of it out in the process and bouncing it off several trees along the way, and it made most of the trip on its side.

Poaching gently caress never made a complaint even though it was blindingly obvious what happened not that the old man would have given any fucks.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

88h88 posted:

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21oUVHhbhws

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boston Bike Life eat your hearts out, Mecca Bike Life has this poo poo on lock

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Boston Bike Life eat your hearts out, Mecca Bike Life has this poo poo on lock

I can't help but wonder if that first word is "hahahahahaha" or "loooooooool"

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:gizz:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Lord almighty.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Oh dear, well I am regretting leaving laundry day to today...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I need more.

NOW

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Jesus H. Christ's countenance in poo poo on a cracker.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I need more.

NOW

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=998290230252732&id=386967451385016

http://www.alexjupemotorsport.co.uk/news/2014/alfa-romeo-alfetta-gtv6-30-24v-special

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
An engine so loud and awesome, it almost covers up the sound of the shell rusting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I seem to recall someone saying that motorcycles with sidecars are the worst of both worlds and not-awesome recently. I have to disagree, here's a friend's story. I posted the story recently but can't find it, and the photos just turned up on facebook...

quote:

Was going through pictures today from that crazy trip I took in 2012 when I used the 650 Ural to haul the Suzuki to Savannah, and all the stuff that broke on that trip - driveshaft, both swingarm bolts sheered at same time, air-box, fuel taps, alternator, gearbox, two shocks, all three wheel bearings, and the seat. Did all the repairs myself either on the side of the road, in Lowes parking lots, or at motels. Replacing the air-box with PVC pipe and then after sucking in water in a rain storm making a rain hood for it out of Gorilla Tape - which worked grand in the next big rain/hail storm. Or being half way through swapping the gearbox and having a rain storm hit and having to wrap the engine in a trash bag. That was a glorious adventure. Don't have any real pictures of the beautiful scenery but I did document the break downs and repair work.

He drove it like this from Worcester MA to Savannah GA. No tow truck, no backup, no copilot, nothing, just his wits, tools, and what he could scrounge along the way. On a Ural.

Pictured are some of the repairs that had to be done along the way.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Edit: Wrong thread. Sorta content:

See what's in a NASCAR toolbox! It's pretty rad, actually!

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 26, 2016

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

scuz posted:

Awesome, love the stacks of wrenches.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume they have foam mats they stuff in the drawers to hold everything in place while shipping?

Or maybe it's the intern's job to re-sort everything when they unload it from the truck.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

scuz posted:

I just need a few minutes by myself, if you guys don't mind leaving the thread thnx

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

How do you stand with that sort of thing over there? In the UK, you can move a vehicle if it's causing an obstruction, but are liable for any damage caused doing so.

I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure we should have called the police, so they could have contacted the owner.

But the police station is like 500 meters away, and we didn't want to make them walk all the way over here :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Well, poo poo, now I wanna see the rest of that dude's collection!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

kastein posted:

I seem to recall someone saying that motorcycles with sidecars are the worst of both worlds and not-awesome recently. I have to disagree, here's a friend's story. I posted the story recently but can't find it, and the photos just turned up on facebook...

He drove it like this from Worcester MA to Savannah GA. No tow truck, no backup, no copilot, nothing, just his wits, tools, and what he could scrounge along the way. On a Ural.

Pictured are some of the repairs that had to be done along the way.

This deserves more love. Sounds like a badass little adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

This is really cool. I like seeing that there's a dedicated drawer of metal working tools, and a separate drawer for cutting wheels and the like.
Also, the Pam is pretty clever.
I really need to know why that ratchet is on the outside of that portable box though...