Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

thexerox123 posted:

They've said the game is going to be made to "be connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems". I think they're looking at it as an ancillary game title, not a flagship one.

They've also said it's going to have more gameplay elements than Miitomo, which shows what kind of bar they've set.

Well, I think they're making that comparison because this will literally be the next title to be released from them (as Pokemon GO is from Niantic) since Miitomo, and they're labeling it as an actual game, rather than a social app like Miitomo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

They've also said it's going to have more gameplay elements than Miitomo, which shows what kind of bar they've set.

Wouldn't "more gameplay than Miitomo" be "flagship Animal Crossing"? :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Boten Anna posted:

Wouldn't "more gameplay than Miitomo" be "flagship Animal Crossing"? :v:

"More gameplay than Miitomo" is practically 99% of the market.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Keep in mind that Nintendo has partnered with DeNA for its mobile work, which basically produces (mostly licensed) mobile shovelware that embody the worst nickle-and-dimeing mobile games are known for. They also were the publisher for the mobile version of Godus. I'm not certain what their involvement entails, and Nintendo's mobile games could still be good, but it's a red flag so I'm not expecting too much.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jsor posted:

Keep in mind that Nintendo has partnered with DeNA for its mobile work, which basically produces (mostly licensed) mobile shovelware, including being the publisher for Godus.

Nintendo at least seems to not just sign off their license to things without being hands on and making sure it's actually pretty good (hell, quality-wise Miitomo is pretty well-made its just boring after the initial rush) and is more interested in protecting the value of their IP than getting things out yesterday, so while this is a little concerning, it's not necessarily doom and gloom.

I mean, pretty sure they learned their lesson about letting other companies get their paws on their IP without oversight back in the Wand of Gamelon and Hotel Mario days :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Devil Tesla posted:

Nintendo announced Rythem Heaven Megamix at E3 and released it on the same day, because Nintendo loving rules.

SilverSupernova posted:

Come on now. How did you forget about BoxBoy 2?
very awesome games that most people will pretend do not even exist

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Thanks for reminding me about Miitomo, and how I cannot get My Nintendo coins from playing Pokemon Go

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Astro7x posted:

Thanks for reminding me about Miitomo, and how I cannot get My Nintendo coins from playing Pokemon Go

And spend them on what again?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Slur posted:

well there's that one picross game

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Slur posted:

I have no idea. I bought Zelda Picross and Wario Ware, have 2000 silver coins banked from MIitomo.

I just assume that one day they are going to drop some game on there with an expiration date that makes it unattainable for those that are not keeping up.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I have no idea. I bought Zelda Picross and Wario Ware, have 2000 silver coins banked from MIitomo.

I just assume that one day they are going to drop some game on there with an expiration date that makes it unattainable for those that are not keeping up.

Just make sure your silver coins don't expire first.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If we're going with the March timetable, my expectation:

Mid-September: official unveiling of the NX, including name, retail price, and release date. Discussion of what's different between Breath of the Wild Wii U and NX, and brief clips of other NX titles.

Rest of year: Nintendo hypes up the Mini-NES for holiday, keeps head down otherwise.

Late January: Direct highlighting all of the NX's launch-year lineup. Big announcement likely being Zelda at launch and a new Mario game at Holiday 2017.

Late January-mid-March: Miyamoto and Reggie do all the late night talk shows, the daytime TV stuff, etc, trying to show off the NX and attempt to copy the Wii rollout marketing. With luck they get attractive footage of people like Ellen Degeneres or Conan O'Brien laughing and smiling while playing NX games. People on sites like Neogaf complain that Nintendo is ignoring them.

Late March: release.

I think that's basically the only way this works.

EDIT: Forgot this one: At some point, someone accidentally lets Kirishima do an interview and he comes off sullen, grimacing, and unpleasant in contradiction to Nintendo's brand. After that, no one lets the old man in front of a camera again.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 25, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Patter Song posted:

People on sites like Neogaf complain that Nintendo is ignoring them.

This except all year all the time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm pretty psyched at the Mini-NES. I just hope the cord on the controller is semi-long, because my TV is not near my couch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm pretty psyched at the Mini-NES. I just hope the cord on the controller is semi-long, because my TV is not near my couch.

That might be a problem. Hopefully that's not final.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Devil Tesla posted:

That might be a problem. Hopefully that's not final.

Can't these things also plug into Wiimotes? Maybe that would be a way to use one of these without being a foot and a half from the TV.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Can't these things also plug into Wiimotes? Maybe that would be a way to use one of these without being a foot and a half from the TV.

Not on the NES Mini

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
welp I guess I'm plugging it into my monitor then :smith:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deadly_pudding posted:

welp I guess I'm plugging it into my monitor then :smith:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cinpel-Extension-Cable-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00KZLHZGQ/

one left, better grab it fast!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jsor posted:

Keep in mind that Nintendo has partnered with DeNA for its mobile work, which basically produces (mostly licensed) mobile shovelware that embody the worst nickle-and-dimeing mobile games are known for.

DeNA also made Final Fantasy Record Keeper which is probably one of the most generous mobile games I've seen in terms to allowing players to work around the real money systems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Patter Song posted:

If we're going with the March timetable, my expectation:

Mid-September: official unveiling of the NX, including name, retail price, and release date. Discussion of what's different between Breath of the Wild Wii U and NX, and brief clips of other NX titles.

Rest of year: Nintendo hypes up the Mini-NES for holiday, keeps head down otherwise.

Late January: Direct highlighting all of the NX's launch-year lineup. Big announcement likely being Zelda at launch and a new Mario game at Holiday 2017.

Late January-mid-March: Miyamoto and Reggie do all the late night talk shows, the daytime TV stuff, etc, trying to show off the NX and attempt to copy the Wii rollout marketing. With luck they get attractive footage of people like Ellen Degeneres or Conan O'Brien laughing and smiling while playing NX games. People on sites like Neogaf complain that Nintendo is ignoring them.

Late March: release.

I think that's basically the only way this works.

EDIT: Forgot this one: At some point, someone accidentally lets Kirishima do an interview and he comes off sullen, grimacing, and unpleasant in contradiction to Nintendo's brand. After that, no one lets the old man in front of a camera again.

This makes a lot of sense. I practice wilful ignorance from mainstream media so I will miss it all, not that I care much personally about the video gaming habits of talk-show hosts, but it sounds very plausible. I could have sworn that I saw somewhere, though, that there will be a Mario platformer available on launch day. I don't remember where it was, but it was listed as "confirmed from reliable sources."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rumor mill for anyone who still cares what this lady says. Read from bottom to top.

September looms closer at least.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Remind me what Rogers has been right about?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

If she's right (big if), she's pretty much directly saying that it'll be Nvidia GPU (perhaps the latest version of Tegra, and the same downclocked for the next handheld) and run on ARM.

It'd dovetail nicely with the rumors that Nvidia is willing to pretty much give the Tegra away because they discovered no one actually wants a high-end mobile GPU.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The tweet about AMD is weird, because she's talking about GPUs but x86 is a CPU architecture.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
NX news coming soon from websites... I call bullshit on this one.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

The tweet about AMD is weird, because she's talking about GPUs but x86 is a CPU architecture.

I mean I get what she's saying I think but yeah it's worded weird. AMD makes x86 chips, nVidia does not, and since they'll probably go with the same supplier for an integrated CPU/GPU sort of deal, and AMD does x86 and nVidia does ARM, it's probably going to be ARM/nVidia. But not all of those implications might not necessarily be true or follow, but you know, Emily Rogers.

It's a a bit weird considering Nintendo has worked with ATI/AMD more in the past, but it would make some sense, especially if what Patter Song is saying about nVidia practically begging to give away their mobile graphics chipsets, and Nintendo is in the kind of position where getting someone else to eat the margin on some pretty high-power chips would be impossible to say no to.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Remind me what Rogers has been right about?

Paper Mario for Wii U

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
She was wrong about Mother 3 though which is playing with my heart too much for me to trust her again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ventana posted:

She was wrong about Mother 3 though which is playing with my heart too much for me to trust her again.

Well not yet, she just said this year

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rogers was 0-3 for her E3 predictions, but I really hope she's right this time. This is such a dead news cycle for video games right now, and Nintendo could be dominating it with the NX.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Rogers was 0-3 for her E3 predictions, but I really hope she's right this time. This is such a dead news cycle for video games right now, and Nintendo could be dominating it with the NX.

they spent months preparing for e3 and are likely preparing now for an event in september around the time of TGS. filling july and august with news is a good way to have average consumers miss your news.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So...what's the name of the NX going to be when it gets officially unveiled? The Wii V or the Wii W? It's a hard choice...V comes after U, but W is two Us.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

So...what's the name of the NX going to be when it gets officially unveiled? The Wii V or the Wii W? It's a hard choice...V comes after U, but W is two Us.

It wont be Wii anything. They're not continuing the Wii line with the NX.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nintendo ultra dolphin revolution 64

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Nintendo Fam

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
New Wii U

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The Nintendo Cross

where Mario died for your sins

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

The Nintendo Fam

"Nintendo: Wii Got You"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lastdancer posted:

The Nintendo Cross

where Mario died for your sins

This was gonna be my guess, it's not a good name but Nintendo hasn't been into giving good names to their products for a while now.

• Locked thread