Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
ifunny.c :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I should write an AI to insult goons but they already do it to themselves so well :(

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Magres posted:

Hey Arus can you add the SA Discord to the OP
it is hard to bring up things worse than the game itself in this thread but boy did you find a way to do it

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Waci I worry about the dark reaches of your mind sometimes

id like wacis mind as a guild hall tbh

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Curse is poo poo. If I want a voice chat program I want only a voice chat program, not a game addon launcher for Minecraft and ads and whatever else Curse has in their pos launcher.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I've mostly been doing HoT meta events without any particular goal but it is time to start working towards something, and i am thinking ascended weapons and/or armor. I am assuming all these materials that have slowly been piling up in my inventory and bank is for crafting ascended stuff.

I currently have over 2 thousand Bloodstone dust, 500 empyreal fragments, a thousand airship oils, almost a thousand dragonite ore, 500 auric dust and several hundred globes of ectoplasm. There must be something i can use these things on.

I tried googling for and reading an ascended crafting guide but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The guides are messy and seem to make several assumptions that i know many of the required aspects already. They are also seemingly out of date? (they mostly seem to have been made before HoT, one guide was as old as 2013)

Is there an up to date guide and or a more condensed step by step instruction on how to craft this stuff?

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
If the Wiki page dedicated to Ascended crafting cannot help you then I don't know how easier we can make it for you. What's your particular issue?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Is there an up to date guide and or a more condensed step by step instruction on how to craft this stuff?

Buy the ascended item recipe and relevant inscription recipe from your local master crafter, then just let the crafting system tell you what you need. Clicking on a component will tell you what you need to make that component.

Just be aware that recipes are per character, not per account, so you need to use up the recipe on the character who has level 500 in whatever discipline.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ineptitude posted:

I've mostly been doing HoT meta events without any particular goal but it is time to start working towards something, and i am thinking ascended weapons and/or armor. I am assuming all these materials that have slowly been piling up in my inventory and bank is for crafting ascended stuff.

I currently have over 2 thousand Bloodstone dust, 500 empyreal fragments, a thousand airship oils, almost a thousand dragonite ore, 500 auric dust and several hundred globes of ectoplasm. There must be something i can use these things on.

I tried googling for and reading an ascended crafting guide but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The guides are messy and seem to make several assumptions that i know many of the required aspects already. They are also seemingly out of date? (they mostly seem to have been made before HoT, one guide was as old as 2013)

There are step-by-step instructions of the end, i.e. the actual crafting, at gw2efficiency, but yea getting to that point is a bit confusing.

The process also changes depending on what stats you want. There are different methods of getting the Exotic Inscription and Ascended Inscription, which is sometimes better to buy and sometimes better to craft.

In general, getting your crafting to 500 needs to happen no matter what, and you can start converting your Bloodstone/Empyreal/Dragonite into their brick/star/ingot forms with Obsidian Shards (5 each for a weapon, 15 each for a full armor set). And keep doing your relevant daily ectoplasm refinement, it helps save gold over time.

Then when you're ready and actually know what you want, look for your item on this page, click it, and there are your step-by-step crafting instructions.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

AnacondaHL posted:

There are step-by-step instructions of the end, i.e. the actual crafting, at gw2efficiency, but yea getting to that point is a bit confusing.

The process also changes depending on what stats you want. There are different methods of getting the Exotic Inscription and Ascended Inscription, which is sometimes better to buy and sometimes better to craft.

In general, getting your crafting to 500 needs to happen no matter what, and you can start converting your Bloodstone/Empyreal/Dragonite into their brick/star/ingot forms with Obsidian Shards (5 each for a weapon, 15 each for a full armor set). And keep doing your relevant daily ectoplasm refinement, it helps save gold over time.

Then when you're ready and actually know what you want, look for your item on this page, click it, and there are your step-by-step crafting instructions.

gw2efficiency is amazing.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As far as I can tell, airship oils/auric dust/etc are only used for HoT legendary crafting and you only need 250 of each. Instead I hope you have tons of leather/silk/mithril/wood!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
They're used for making Fulgurite, which can also be used for jeweled damask patches/jeweled dowels, which can be sold at the trading post (I don't think the ascended inscriptions/insignias you can make with them can, however). But it doesn't seem like the price is all that worth it, I dunno.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

What You Need:

Vision Crystal (for weapons or chest piece) or Lesser Vision Crystal (for the other armor pieces); these are what bloodstone, dragonite, and empyreals are for.

Item Specific Thing #1 (i.e. helm casing, sword blade, etc.)

Item Specific Thing #2 (i.e. helm lining, sword hilt, etc.)

Insignia/Inscription (the thing that determines the stats)

To examine exactly how to craft each bit, look at the recipe in the crafting station (uncheck everything except Ascended in the menu to avoid cluttering the list). The item specific things and the insignia/inscription are what the ascended mats (damask/elonean leather/deldrimor ingots/spiritwood) are used to craft. It's actually much more straightforward if you use the in-game interface than trying to examine the large item trees you'll find around.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

thanks alot assbag posted:

They're used for making Fulgurite, which can also be used for jeweled damask patches/jeweled dowels, which can be sold at the trading post (I don't think the ascended inscriptions/insignias you can make with them can, however). But it doesn't seem like the price is all that worth it, I dunno.

Again, gw2efficiency holds the answer to all

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/70992-Jeweled-Damask-Patch
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/71453-Jeweled-Deldrimor-Steel-Plated-Dowel

looks like you get a pretty decent profit, up to about 64 Silver per Fulgrite if you Sell Price the Jeweled Damask Patches. (edit: or more I guess, if you Buy Price your crafting mats then Sell Price the finished product)

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 25, 2016

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Has anybody else not actually learned a recipe but have the recipe still be used up? I tried to learn the Exotic Vipers insignia but it didn't register apparently...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

lucifirius posted:

Has anybody else not actually learned a recipe but have the recipe still be used up? I tried to learn the Exotic Vipers insignia but it didn't register apparently...

This is going to be dumb but, did you use it on the right character? Also are you high enough crafting level to use it? I've never heard of that happening and the only times where I thought it didn't register was when I accidentally used a tailoring recipe on my artificer.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Xun posted:

This is going to be dumb but, did you use it on the right character? Also are you high enough crafting level to use it? I've never heard of that happening and the only times where I thought it didn't register was when I accidentally used a tailoring recipe on my artificer.

Yeah I definitely used it on my main character, and I have 500 in Tailoring and like 435 in Huntsman. It wasn't the inscription either because I have weaponsmithing higher than 400 as well. I double checked the item codes on the character I bought it with and it didn't say I knew it on that one. :iiam:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Not all recipes are discoverable, you have to loot or buy like all HoT ones

Edit: All inscriptions that are rare or better need to have their recipe bought

If the prefix comes from LS you cannot discover the gear. This is Celestial, Sinister and Nomad.

You an discover nothing from HoT

zokie fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 25, 2016

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Did you get exotic and ascended recipes mixed up? Cause I've done that a few times.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Teaser from the new fractal out tomorrow, Chaotic Isle

winged golems

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Honestly feels like every fractal released is longer than the previous longest fractal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks to Cletus and others for helping me finish the godawful cringeworthy pile of poo poo story ending last night on that ridiculously awful mordremoth fight, I'm ready to see what Scarlet is up to in Season 3! Thanks Anet for continuing to bring us such disgustingly bad story content!

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
They did kill off the one that shall not be named (cause he is boring as gently caress) and now we just need Logan to die and everything will be a-ok in my book.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's a testament to how bad their character writing is, that the most exciting and interesting part of the entire story is the single moment when I got to press F to kill that dumb boring gently caress.

e: also eat me, logan is my bf

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

zokie posted:

Not all recipes are discoverable, you have to loot or buy like all HoT ones

Edit: All inscriptions that are rare or better need to have their recipe bought

If the prefix comes from LS you cannot discover the gear. This is Celestial, Sinister and Nomad.

You an discover nothing from HoT

I bought it with Proofs of Heroics from the WvW vendor.

kiffkin posted:

Did you get exotic and ascended recipes mixed up? Cause I've done that a few times.

Nope, and I wouldn't be mad if I did because that's human error. Not having anything is what's pissing me off.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Hi.

What have I missed since February and now? Is Viper gear still insanely overpriced? Is Arus still fat?

TIA.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Viper gear was dependent on Black Diamonds, which are now cheap. HoT maps now poo poo their currencies and keys all over you, and have way more treasure chests that spawn. Things are way less grindy, though some things are still grindy don't get me wrong. And, WvW has been fun lately.

Arus is probably still fat but I've never seen a pic, so

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Viper gear is about as expensive as Berserker gear these days

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Hi.

What have I missed since February and now? Is Viper gear still insanely overpriced? Is Arus still fat?

TIA.

come back and play with me m'lord

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I tried to click on the cleavage but it was so big I lost my mouse pointer.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fractal looks neat.

Kinda curious about viper gear for my ranger but that's ascended right?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

come back and play with me m'lord

Those strength runes you promised me better be in my mail.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
You can have exotic vipers gear, why couldn't you?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Waci posted:

You can have exotic vipers gear, why couldn't you?

Knowing that exotic viper gear exists requires actually playing the HoT content instead of just regurgitating memes from this thread and Reddit.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Hey fellow goons, I've got questions!

I'm a filthy PvE casual thinking about coming back to this game. I reinstalled the client and logged into my highest character, a level 60 Guardian. There's a bunch of new poo poo I don't understand because I haven't played since way before HoT came out and since its on sale I may do one of two things.

1) just start a whole new char and level normally and see what happens when a new expansion is announced,
b) get HoT while it's on sale and burn a level 80 boost to get current.

What's the status of leveling from 1 nowadays? Has it been sped up or anything?
I've read that when HoT came out, Mastery stuff gated content and such and basically meant you played your upgraded class after you've done everything. Has this changed at all?

Finally the two classes I'm looking at are Engineer and Necromancer. What's the current state of those classes and their upgrades?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I highly recommend starting over with either of those classes if you're not deadset on Guardian, but do not delete your old character! Keep it for the birthday gifts!

I can't speak to any general pacing changes for levelling, feels super fast these days because everyone has free levelup tomes and boosts, etc. If you haven't gone through the whole world at all and hit 80 normally I highly recommend doing it, if you like PvE as it sounds like you do.

Welcome back!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I highly recommend starting over with either of those classes if you're not deadset on Guardian

I agree with Arus, guardian is trash.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Finally the two classes I'm looking at are Engineer and Necromancer. What's the current state of those classes and their upgrades?

Engis are decidedly middle-of-the-road right now. You won't win any DPS awards but you're not scraping the bottom of the barrel, either. Nobody will bring you along in raids unless you're part of a regular group. In fractals and all other PvE content you'll be fine. In PvP you're still fuckshit annoying to fight. Scrapper is mandatory for PvP and unnecessary for PvE.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

ManSedan posted:

Necros are borderline overpowered and extremely popular in every game mode, in all types of content and at all levels of tryhardiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best build for a necro right now?

I need to change mine up after anet RUINED my chillmancer poo poo.

• Locked thread