Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Huh I never really looked into the cast of heroes in battleborn because the ones I was able to touch in the beta weren't all too similar.

Regardless they're still very different games outside of being brightly colored hero based first person shooters. Saying they're the same if you completely ignore the kind of game one is trying to be is like saying if you ignored what the pieces are chess is just like checkers because they're both board and game piece based games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Light Gun Man posted:

seriously what did he even mean to convey with "hobby-grade"?

"you will want to spend more money on it"

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Light Gun Man posted:

time and money investment beyond just buying the game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well it seems like the game is more like the opposite of hobby-grade then

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its amazing to see the difference between randys words and reality sometimes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hamsterlady posted:

This is the best part. It's barely similar, but they actually intentionally drew comparisons between their product and a much better one. The head developer of Battleborn was apparently all over twitter talking poo poo on Overwatch

I don't have anything against Gearbox but it was so awkward when they went on about how diverse their character designs are when there's like all of one nonwhite person across 26 characters.

edit: though tbf I also think the same thing back when people were seriously arguing the TF2 designs over Overwatch.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 24, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Evolve takes the #1 spot as the worst game I've ever purchased and one of the only games I genuinely regret buying. I like most games, I mean The Order was one of my favorite games of (last?) year and not many enjoyed that. But Battleborn? Man, it wasn't even THAT bad. It was just pointless and not compelling at all. I bought it and had fun learning the basic flow of the game but after a week or two I deleted it and I really, really wish I wouldn't have bought it. It's one of those games that just feels pointless to me. There's enough content and support to give it value as a full price purchase but nothing could save it from being bland and clunky in a very unique to Battleborn way. Some games are just weird.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Light Gun Man posted:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Comic posted:

Huh I never really looked into the cast of heroes in battleborn because the ones I was able to touch in the beta weren't all too similar.

Regardless they're still very different games outside of being brightly colored hero based first person shooters. Saying they're the same if you completely ignore the kind of game one is trying to be is like saying if you ignored what the pieces are chess is just like checkers because they're both board and game piece based games.

Its more then that, not only some of the characters look similar, but their skill set is too. Such as both of those butch women have the ability to give over shield to allies. Also how the skill sets are laid out are similar, with every character have a rechargeable 'uber' attack, with the other skills being used more rapidly. Though I agree removing the MOBA aspect from battleborne would kind of defeat the whole point of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hobby grade is an RC enthusiast term that differentiates toy grade RC vehicles from those that are meant to be disassembled, tuned up, and pushed hard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I love Broforce, will not a hero scratch that itch? It seems like it might.

What I'm asking is how is not a hero?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Any deals on 12-month PS+ subscriptions floating around?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Groupon has cards for $45 right now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408877&perpage=40&pagenumber=1120#post462434646

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Drop's out again

AW Phoenix Festa - Vita only
Among the sleep
MX5000
Blue Rider
Chambara
Dungeon Punks
Fairy fencer F: Advent Dark Force
Headlander (PLAY promotion eligible)
Hyper Light Drifter
Laser Disco Defenders - Vita only
Mutant Mudds Super Challenge - cross buy
Riptide GP Renegade
Shiren the Wanderer the tower of fortune and the dice of fate - vita only

winners imo in bold

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Real hurthling! posted:

Drop's out again

AW Phoenix Festa - Vita only
Among the sleep
MX5000
Blue Rider
Chambara
Dungeon Punks
Fairy fencer F: Advent Dark Force
Headlander (PLAY promotion eligible)
Hyper Light Drifter
Laser Disco Defenders - Vita only
Mutant Mudds Super Challenge - cross buy
Riptide GP Renegade
Shiren the Wanderer the tower of fortune and the dice of fate - vita only

winners imo in bold

gently caress yes gimme dat Shiren :f5:

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Among the Sleep is worth picking up with a good discount. It's a neat experience, but just a few hours long and not worth $20, IMO.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Please stop releasing mutant muds

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Any news on GT Sport? I've been itching for a car game for a while and i doubt my shabby pc can run any of the good ones at this point.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

isn't project cars supposed to be a good GT replacement?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

How new is that Shiren? I played the poo poo out of the ds version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

How new is that Shiren? I played the poo poo out of the ds version.

The DS one was Shiren 1, the new one is Shiren 5. It's the most recent game in the series IIRC and this is the updated/"Plus" version.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Oh cool. It probably got rid of some of the bullshit I remember getting murdered by. I don't think I have actually beaten Shiren yet. I think I got close to the end a few times though.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

isn't project cars supposed to be a good GT replacement?

Project Cars is a PC sim racer ported over to console rather than a Gran Turismo replacement. The career mode is half-assed compared to Gran Turismo, the AI is exceptionally bad, and the default car setups and even controller settings are miserable. That being said, it's fine for $20 once you get the controller settings worked out and you Google car setups.

The PS4 has one legitimately good racing game right now in Dirt Rally. I've thought about buying an Xbone on Craigslist for Forza since I can't be bothered to buy a wheel and build a gaming PC.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd say GTA Online has a really good racing component, especially since they released the expansion around racing that's effectively turned half the races into insane Trackmania/F-Zero tube in the sky affairs, but there's a serious time investment to getting good cars in that game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I bought DriveClub after waiting forever and avoiding it and it's absolutely ace and has so much content for $20 that it's downright silly.

Hearing the best engine sounds ever in a game is worth the $20 alone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, if the Hyper Light Drifter Kickstarter doesn't get me a code before that game comes out on psn, I'ma be real pissed off .

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

axleblaze posted:

Man, if the Hyper Light Drifter Kickstarter doesn't get me a code before that game comes out on psn, I'ma be real pissed off .

They're being sent out on the 26th, afaik (that's what I was told in an email when I asked about switching platforms).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Coldforge posted:

They're being sent out on the 26th, afaik (that's what I was told in an email when I asked about switching platforms).

Their last update said they should be sending them out today.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...and I got my code so nevermind :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I bought DriveClub after waiting forever and avoiding it and it's absolutely ace and has so much content for $20 that it's downright silly.

Hearing the best engine sounds ever in a game is worth the $20 alone.

The problem is the rest of Driveclub sucks though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Driveclub's handling felt really..just kinda off, and the tracks felt way the gently caress too narrow, especially given the AI's tendency to drive side-by-side and block you off. The rain effects were super pretty though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They added a hardcore handling mode that feels really good to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kilometers Davis posted:

They added a hardcore handling mode that feels really good to me.

Oh, well that's good at least. Sadly my connection sucks huge rear end and I can't justify spending a week re-downloading it to find out, but I'm glad to hear that either way.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I love Broforce, will not a hero scratch that itch? It seems like it might.

What I'm asking is how is not a hero?

I think they're really different genres of games. It's got gory action but it's more of a crafted twitchy puzzle game than anything else.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot with that in mind. Controls were tight and I liked the various unlockable characters. If the deal is good, give it a shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there any Puyo Puyo Tetris DLC that might be worth making a JP account for?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there any Puyo Puyo Tetris DLC that might be worth making a JP account for?

its like block skins and voice tracks. nope

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, well that's good at least. Sadly my connection sucks huge rear end and I can't justify spending a week re-downloading it to find out, but I'm glad to hear that either way.

Yeah I mean I'm not any kind of super serious hardcore racing game player but I used to be addicted to Forza and most other racing games. My skill level always lingered around medium difficulty/some assists/casual but not complete poo poo and Driveclub with the new handling feels very solid. It's difficult but not impossible. If I had to compare it to something I would said its like if the PGR series was turned into a sim game with a dash of Forza.

There's a certain feeling I love in driving games where I can sink into this very meditative and relaxed state while my senses are 100% locked in to the race and DC hits that better than anything I can remember in a long time. GTAV highway cruising aye but that's a little different. The environments, audio, and graphics in DC come together and it's a spectacle to take in even if you've raced a certain track a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hyper Light Drifter is out. My brain is already melting.

• Locked thread