Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Kakyoin dying was a punch to the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It really turned on the waterworks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It really was a clock breaker.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

A timeless occasion, really

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Kakyoin steps in front of Joseph while Joseph is watching television.
Joseph: Hey Kakyoin, you make a better window than a door!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The thing about Dio is that he's good at scrapping up to a point. Like he's good until he fights someone who knows how to fight him, then it all goes to poo poo. His cockiness and bravado make it worse too. He gets hammered by Jonathan and Jotaro as soon as they figure him out, and that's not true of all stand users they've encountered so far.

I've consistently thought his own minion Vanilla Ice was considerably more powerful than DIO.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
More powerful, sure, but Vanilla Ice isn't anywhere near as much of a fighter as DIO is. Vanilla Ice is raw strength and rage combined with a scary ability. Vanilla Ice is so hellbent on serving DIO and eradicating his enemies that he has little thought put into how he handles either. He just does whatever will get him close to that goal. DIO asks him to donate his blood? He cuts off his head, no questions asked. Asked to go kill DIO's enemies? He scratches some text into the wall and when they get distracted by it he tries to eat them in one fell swoop. Make him lay a hand on DIO's image? That's when he just completely loses it.

DIO is better at maintaining his composure than Vanilla Ice is what I'm saying, and that's important for winning in a good jjba fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was always under the impression that Kenny G. wrote that text on the pillar given that he was hiding inside of one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vahhhhhhhhhnilla Oice had to expose his head if he wanted to see where he was going, seems fairly straightforward for DIO to stop time and smash him.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cream's ability had a weakness (can't see while in matter-devouring mode). The World's did not, and DIO lost to a combination of underestimating Jotaro and pissing him off so bad he learned to stop time himself.

Incidentally, the reason Jotaro lost to the rat is that the rat didn't piss him off enough, that should be pretty obvious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Incidentally, the reason Jotaro lost to the rat is that the rat didn't piss him off enough, that should be pretty obvious.

Jotaro was so concerned that humanity had caused the rat problem he couldn't possibly be angry. The only time he displayed any heightened emotion or anger was when he shouted at noisy high school girls :allears: I think Josuke should have at least tried to talk to Jotaro about the murderer tbh. Worst case scenario is they pull a Yukako and whisper near Jotaro about "a killer who I heard totally hates school uniforms and dolphins".

Some translation notes from Phantom Blood; Jonathan says he wants to kill DIO for revenge not because he's pissed off, muda is translated to useless when DIO says it once and as "muda muda muda..." when he is using it repeatedly.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Vahhhhhhhhhnilla Oice had to expose his head if he wanted to see where he was going, seems fairly straightforward for DIO to stop time and smash him.

Curious if Cream is even subject to stopped time while in his pocket dimension.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kira really hates dolphins? No dignity!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BaDandy posted:

Sometimes, when I'm feeling sad, I lie back and think about Rohan and Dio in the same room, and the absolute loving temper tantrum that Dio would have after Rohan writes "I will not attack Rohan Kishibe" on him. :allears:

I get the feeling Dio/DIO is too self-absorbed to be compatible enough with Rohan for Heaven's Door to work on him.

Dexie posted:

Tim Curry has done quite a bit of voice acting. Fern Gully has already been mentioned, but he was also the voice of Nigel Thornberry, and he was originally going to play the Joker in Batman: TAS instead of Mark Hamill.

He was also MAL in Captain Planet, and SKULLMASTER in Mighty Max, and King Acorn in one of the Sonic cartoons!

He also has a ton of smaller roles to his name, but yeah. Tim Curry has done some voice acting. :)

He was also King Chicken in Duckman.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

DIU definitely makes me think about IT a little; also, the alley scene when they can't turn back reminds me a lot of Pet Sematary, when there's stuff that you see/hear on the path or deadfall that you're just supposed to ignore and walk past without turning back. Something that Araki consistently does well is just insert a weird story into the middle of everything that magically just works.

There's also the story of Orpheus from Greek mythology. Long story short, Orpheus traveled to the Underworld and begged Hades, God of the Dead, to return Orpheus's wife to life. Hades agreed, but stipulated that as the two of them returned to the land of the living, Orpheus was forbidden to look back to see if his wife's soul was really following him. Poor guy turned around right before they got out and his wife was forced to return to the Underworld.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deified Data posted:

I've consistently thought his own minion Vanilla Ice was considerably more powerful than DIO.
Mr. Cool Ice is also pretty single-minded unlike DIO who's cunning and underhanded.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Santana was the most interesting Pillar Man. He was much weirder and bizarre than the rest bar Perfect Kars.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EmmyOk posted:

Santana was the most interesting Pillar Man. He was much weirder and bizarre than the rest bar Perfect Kars.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Esidisi didn't do anything as funny as the contorting limbs thing into the vents

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Santana's whole sequence was a lot more inventive and genuinely tense than the others yeah

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

whammu was one of the more interesting pillar men as an actual character because he actually had, you know, character

esidisi was basically not there and kars was really sort of generic all around

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

He was also the only one to survive.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sometimes I wonder if Santana laid dormant throughout the generations

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cars' antidote ring was totally a prince albert

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Has anyone written a fanfic where there's a power failure at speedwagon hq and Santana is free from his UV prison, and it is up to the powerless SPW grunts to survive and recapture him before he breaks out of the facility?

Just wondering

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 26, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

El Burbo posted:

Has anyone written a fanfic where there's a power failure at speedwagon hq and Santana is free from his UV prison, and it is up to the powerless SPW grunts to survive and recapture him before he breaks out of the facility?

Just wondering

there'd probably be at least one member there with a stand, santana wouldn't last a minute

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The fic better end with Jotaro coming back from a business trip, giving a terrible one liner, and punching Santana to death. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Santana blackmails the SPW with their nazi connections during WWII, ends up getting a enough money to start his own talk show.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I get the feeling Dio/DIO is too self-absorbed to be compatible enough with Rohan for Heaven's Door to work on him.

He was also King Chicken in Duckman.

There's also the story of Orpheus from Greek mythology. Long story short, Orpheus traveled to the Underworld and begged Hades, God of the Dead, to return Orpheus's wife to life. Hades agreed, but stipulated that as the two of them returned to the land of the living, Orpheus was forbidden to look back to see if his wife's soul was really following him. Poor guy turned around right before they got out and his wife was forced to return to the Underworld.

There's something similar with Izanagi and Izanami, isn't there?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Just wondering

Yeah, it's called "my openXCOM mod where you play as the speedwagon foundation fighting off vampire and zombie attacks while researching and improving your anti-zombie/anti-vampire/anti-double-vampire nazi-tech"

Some day it'll exist

Some day...

SPW-COM

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BillmasterCozb posted:

there'd probably be at least one member there with a stand, santana wouldn't last a minute

Man, I would really like to see a side manga about people working at the SWF, Men in Black style.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Every week would have a new main character who then dies in a Stand related incident when helping the Joestars. There would be many scenes in which ordinary staff wonder why the founder built an organisation exclusively for an already rich family's support, including financial support.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Tunicate posted:

He was also the only one to survive.

Hey now, Kars survived. ...Technically.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sort of, but it doesn't have the same story beat of "don't look back". More like Izanagi lit a lantern or...something so he could see his dead wife and was shocked to learn that dying makes you look rotted and gross, and his disgust and fear pissed Izanami off so much she sent hell demons after him or something.

El Burbo posted:

Just wondering

Bring me the story of that one Commie who managed to kill Stroheim because you just know they have a Stand.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Hey now, Kars survived. ...Technically.

He's the only 36 to survive.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When Satana squished his head to avoid Joseph's kick that was quite goofy and silly but I found the rest of his scenes really weird and great. Watching him begin to understand human language really quickly and then disappear from his inescapable cell was really intense. I would have liked more stuff like that where the Germans are observing bizarre and scary behaviours and realise they have no real way to handle a Pillar Man. The other Pillar Men just felt like vampires again whereas Santana felt like an entirely different species and that strangeness doesn't show back up until Perfect Kars.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

When Satana squished his head to avoid Joseph's kick that was quite goofy and silly but I found the rest of his scenes really weird and great. Watching him begin to understand human language really quickly and then disappear from his inescapable cell was really intense. I would have liked more stuff like that where the Germans are observing bizarre and scary behaviours and realise they have no real way to handle a Pillar Man. The other Pillar Men just felt like vampires again whereas Santana felt like an entirely different species and that strangeness doesn't show back up until Perfect Kars.

It is there in small doses with Esidisi & Wamuu, but just small doses. Wamuu showed off what a pillar man was capable of with his divine sandstorm (which is, more or less, a constant breaking and fixing and rebreaking and morphing of his own arms over and over and over and over at such a high velocity that it creates two vacuums that suck the opponent in and shreds and breaks their body entirely), and his ability to dodge out of the way of attacks by moving just his upper torso to the left or right of his waist, able to relocate those body parts to wherever at any time. Esidisi managing to survive as just a brain and some veins, or being able to manipulate his veins and move them where he wants them to be in order to leak the super heated blood he can make on to his enemies, and he was able to withstand an explosion with absolutely zero issues other than some cartoonish body morphing. Dio Brando's manipulation of his own body only ever extended to colder things since he had already been proven to be quite vulnerable to fire. He could also manipulate the vampiric "fluid" or whatever that existed in him, the stuff that he could fire out of his eyes and I guess inject into others to turn them into zombies, and that seemed to be the extent of Dio Brando's ability to manipulate his body at that time.

I know the real reason behind all of this stuff is "Araki" but I just think it's fun to write about, sorry if it is bothering anybody :shobon:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I, too, played Persona 3 and 4 (Yes)

FirstAidKite posted:

Cars' antidote ring was totally a prince albert

Yeah I don't get it when people don't think this is the most homoerotic series ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love longer JoJo posts! Especially on older parts that the thread doesn't really discuss that often. You're absolutely right that it was their in small doses but Santana made me think it was going to be a much bigger thing. Waamu also does that thing where he connects all the soldiers hands together and drains them all at once, which ruled. Those early scenes really set a much different tone than I feel we got and one I would have rathered see though the arc was good as is.

• Locked thread