Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm not saying your wrong for wanting it, but the fighting game you're describing simply does not exist. In fact, the only company that has enough money to create a fighting game with everything a casual fan wants is probably Blizzard.

its actually Riot, who also recently acquired a PC fighting game-making company. i dont actually expect Riot to make a fighting game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes you set it up wrong or something. KOF 98, KOF 2002, and Third Strike are almost always beyond 100 players at any given moment.

EDIT - Screenshot I just took right now as a matter of fact.

No 3S or Garou in your installed ROM set? That's a fail.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dias posted:

Eh, he does have a point re: smaller niche communities. The level of play tends to be higher and unless you actively pursue people online to play and teach you, you're just gonna get wrecked without knowing what the gently caress is going on. The "you're a baby" attitude is also very encouraging, I assume. Then people wonder why GG is considered "hard". Fuckin' hell.

The average level of play online in XrdR right now is slightly above button masher imho

Also is it really that hard to ask for help instead of jumping straight into the shark tank and going "man it's kinda tough getting along in here"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i nearly took around off of viscant and i'm trash don't follow this line of thought to it's logical conclusion please

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

In Training posted:

No 3S or Garou in your installed ROM set? That's a fail.

fight me in poo poo rear end garou tonight on there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

fight me in poo poo rear end garou tonight on there

I'm out of town but this weekend I will

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Eh, he does have a point re: smaller niche communities. The level of play tends to be higher and unless you actively pursue people online to play and teach you, you're just gonna get wrecked without knowing what the gently caress is going on. The "you're a baby" attitude is also very encouraging, I assume. Then people wonder why GG is considered "hard". Fuckin' hell.

the kind of person who's going to avoid a game specifically because the playerbase isn't big enough to let a new player win against other equally bad players isn't the kind of person who's going to stick with or improve at fighting games in any meaningful way.

That's also ignoring the fact that the average netplayer is garbage that only require the bare minimum of competency to crater.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is "don't spend money on fighting games if you have no competitive drive" a hot take

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Riot is going to release a league of legends fighter, and it's probably going to crush every other game in terms of player count and prize pool.

And I can't wait :twisted:

But seriously I actually really liked a lot of Rising Thunder. Kinetic cancelling was really easy to do and made the combos really flexible. The one button specials were kind of silly but it did mean that combos were extremely easy to learn and use in actual matches.

The biggest problem was that the characters were so, so boring and lifeless. If they can get over that they may have a legitimately fun fighting game on their hands, if not incredibly deep.

In SFV news juri looks really fun. Actually pretty excited about picking her up and learning her a bit.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

The average level of play online in XrdR right now is slightly above button masher imho

Also is it really that hard to ask for help instead of jumping straight into the shark tank and going "man it's kinda tough getting along in here"

Yeah, but "slightly above button masher" is already a massive wall for a newbie. Like, a 100+ games wall, plus the process of getting advice is already quite involved, and HOW DARE YOU show frustration because you're losing and can't even figure out what questions to ask. It's why I understand people getting into SFV, there are more players, more players on an absolute newbie level, there's more information and more people talking about it. Plus the game itself is slower and easier to grasp on a first glance. Sure, SFV has a poo poo tutorial and Xrd has an amazing one, but it's a lot easier to SEE what's going on and why you're losing in it, while Xrd dumps a ton of info on you and good luck parsing it if you have no FG background whatsoever.

Sometimes I feel you guys forget how it was not knowing poo poo about FGs and that you also underrate the average skill level of a "bad" nowadays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any game with an auto combo button helps a lot IMO. I know it's what I relied on for like 40 hours of trying to do a qcf P motion

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In terms of aesthetics I liked how the command grab looked for the grappler dude and basically nothing else about Rising Thunder. I hope whatever game they make next is good though, because I like to play good games on my personal computer

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Rising Thunder was cool except everyone's walkspeed sucked and DP FADC was stupid. So same as SF4 I guess.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dias posted:

Yeah, but "slightly above button masher" is already a massive wall for a newbie. Like, a 100+ games wall, plus the process of getting advice is already quite involved, and HOW DARE YOU show frustration because you're losing and can't even figure out what questions to ask. It's why I understand people getting into SFV, there are more players, more players on an absolute newbie level, there's more information and more people talking about it. Plus the game itself is slower and easier to grasp on a first glance. Sure, SFV has a poo poo tutorial and Xrd has an amazing one, but it's a lot easier to SEE what's going on and why you're losing in it, while Xrd dumps a ton of info on you and good luck parsing it if you have no FG background whatsoever.

Sometimes I feel you guys forget how it was not knowing poo poo about FGs and that you also underrate the average skill level of a "bad" nowadays.

I learned how to play in an arcade with players who stomped me unmercifully for months before I won a single round, I remember very well what it was like not knowing poo poo about fighting games

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

My experience with that wall was like three years ago. I remember making a lot of bad posts about "bad matchmaking." I was frustrated. I have local players that I still have taken single digit sets off of. I am still frustrated. There's a large gap between frustrated and outright avoiding games because there are no other new players so he can't "minimize his interactions" with "the people who really want to win above all else." Less than a year ago this dude and other people who think like that wouldn't have any game to play. He's not wrong that fgs could do a lot better in teaching players why they are losing, but outright dismissing stuff because you can't eke out a win against someone who's as lost and confused as you are shows you don't actually care about learning in the first place.

Also he brought up his age which made me laugh because guilty gear is a loving oldman game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

Rising Thunder was cool except everyone's walkspeed sucked and DP FADC was stupid. So same as SF4 I guess.

The normals in that game also felt worse than SFV. Like, the idea behind Rising Thunder was neat, but its execution, eh. Fighting game design is too tied up on special motions for a straight-up simplification to work well, I feel. Maybe MK-style inputs would've been a better idea.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes you set it up wrong or something. KOF 98, KOF 2002, and Third Strike are almost always beyond 100 players at any given moment.

EDIT - Screenshot I just took right now as a matter of fact.

More than 70% of those numbers are afk idlers

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I think we can all agree that making sweeping generalisations about what everybody else is forgetting is the thing none of you seem to understand because of your warped perspectives from knowing too much and/or too little

Also third strike

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Third Strike is a game, and certain posters enjoy it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

I learned how to play in an arcade with players who stomped me unmercifully for months before I won a single round, I remember very well what it was like not knowing poo poo about fighting games

Eh, sure, but you were playing with REAL PEOPLE, that you could turn around and ask for advice. I feel that helps with keeping your head into the game, and I can also speak from experience, because the literal three people that got me into Melty are the best players in Brazil and are MILES ahead of me, a dude who played lame-rear end reactionary Rose for his first FG character ever. However, they were also the three people I could meet up with in person and play, so it was fun and I got immediate feedback on my decisions. Getting squashed online grinds your will to keep playing a lot faster when all you can do is lose, and I feel like that's how most people would go about learning a FG nowadays. Wouldn't you say that's not just "feeblemindness" or whatever?

Pomp posted:

My experience with that wall was like three years ago. I remember making a lot of bad posts about "bad matchmaking." I was frustrated. I have local players that I still have taken single digit sets off of. I am still frustrated. There's a large gap between frustrated and outright avoiding games because there are no other new players so he can't "minimize his interactions" with "the people who really want to win above all else." Less than a year ago this dude and other people who think like that wouldn't have any game to play. He's not wrong that fgs could do a lot better in teaching players why they are losing, but outright dismissing stuff because you can't eke out a win against someone who's as lost and confused as you are shows you don't actually care about learning in the first place.

Also he brought up his age which made me laugh because guilty gear is a loving oldman game.

That's fair, and I'm not exactly siding with all of the guys' complaints here, mind you. But see, it sucks to lose over and over and over, to a point where people without a very competitive mindset will kinda just...stop playing. I don't even think there's a "fix" for this, but it's why I tell people to pick up Street Fighter and not an airdasher if they're just starting out.

The old man thing is whatever, but the "old man" playing GG have been playing it for literal decades, hehe. Experience makes up for reactions.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I've never won a round in any game ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I've never won a round in any game ever

The true path of the warrior

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It doesn't matter how many active players a game has if you are willing to do the incredibly small amount of work in looking up discord servers or steam groups where you can find matches. Playing an extended set is a lot more fun than playing best of 1s one after the other.

Also practically everything worth playing has a replay system (fightcade, xrd, others) so even if you get totally stomped you can go back and analyze what you were doing wrong. The only way you won't learn anything is by throwing your hands up in the air and saying "there's nothing I can do!"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you could always just be crazy, i'm sure there are a bunch of kinds of crazy that would make it hard to play fighting games against other human beings even if you like really wanted to, but making the game worse probably wouldn't help there either

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i definitely agree with Dias that playing online is just a worse experience, and not because of lag or any other systems like that. People act like jackasses online and that poo poo wouldnt fly at a local (where people act like jackasses but in much funnier ways), and getting beat sitting next to your buddy while you talk about how sick a thing from the previous match was or what to get on your pizza is a lot less soul-rending than losing to what may as well be a robot until the set is over where you both drop your "gg" and maybe they give you some advice.

when my locals dried up for traditional FGs i started playing a lot more smash because, even if i didnt enjoy it as much, playing sets for 6 hours at your friend's place is a lot more fun than doing the same alone in my room

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Pomp posted:

i mean you're not wrong but people who get discouraged by losing should stick to games that baby their ego

But that isn't what I said. The fact that these games go to all of the trouble of assigning you ranks and points that get used as part of their online matchmaking algorithms suggests that what I'm saying--"don't match rookies up against experts, if you can help it"--isn't some far-out concept. But that type of sorting metric only works if enough people are playing the game in the first place, and at this moment Street Fighter V is one of a handful of fighting games for which that is so.

Booyah- posted:

It doesn't matter how many active players a game has if you are willing to do the incredibly small amount of work in looking up discord servers or steam groups where you can find matches. Playing an extended set is a lot more fun than playing best of 1s one after the other.

Also practically everything worth playing has a replay system (fightcade, xrd, others) so even if you get totally stomped you can go back and analyze what you were doing wrong. The only way you won't learn anything is by throwing your hands up in the air and saying "there's nothing I can do!"

I've lurked the Discord for a few months, but to be honest, my first reaction to those replies was not "it would be fun and educational to play games with these very same people over voice chat."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I used to have this arcade near me called Galaxy World that I frequented in the 90s when I was younger. I'd mess around playing fighting games there — mostly Street Fighter Alpha and Virtua Fighter because both of those had giant cabinets — and now I regret not actually taking the time to get good and play against the loads of other people who were there to also play Alpha and VF. Galaxy World closed back in 2012 I think :smith:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Tbh when I hear old guys talk about playing at arcades for months before winning my first thought isn't "wow, what dedication" but something more like "drat that's a lot of sad quarters" . I'm spoiled by the monetary security of actually owning a game.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

AnonSpore posted:

Same, except for me it was more like...10 years.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

attackmole posted:

Tbh when I hear old guys talk about playing at arcades for months before winning my first thought isn't "wow, what dedication" but something more like "drat that's a lot of sad quarters" . I'm spoiled by the monetary security of actually owning a game.

Arcades are hotbeds of talent and when you arent playing you can observe matches of people close to your level that can be easier to gain information from than like a match videos because the matches are closer to your skill level. I spent a lot of time in arcades and it really wasnt that expensive at all... arcades now are a little different since it costs more than a quarter or 2 to play a game generally but you can still have matches with and then talk about matches irl with people. i wouldn't even call it "dedication" i just really liked to play games at the arcade, even if I was getting loving rolled over and over again. If you win its really cheap to play for a whole night and even if you're losing its not like you can chain losses back to back in a busy arcade since you gotta get to the back of the line. it forces you to really think about why you lost, and even if its only 2 quarters you dont want to just throw them away trying the same dumb poo poo over and over again, at least for me it was enough motivation to try something different in my next go

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

teagone posted:

I used to have this arcade near me called Galaxy World that I frequented in the 90s when I was younger. I'd mess around playing fighting games there — mostly Street Fighter Alpha and Virtua Fighter because both of those had giant cabinets — and now I regret not actually taking the time to get good and play against the loads of other people who were there to also play Alpha and VF. Galaxy World closed back in 2012 I think :smith:

I used to play the arcade at this amusement park called Medieval World until it shut down, this guy Jamal who worked there fell into the moat circling the park and was never seen again. Plus, they were getting pretty fierce competition from Castle World across town. Castle World didn't have an arcade, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP Jamal

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Daryl Surat posted:

I've lurked the Discord for a few months, but to be honest, my first reaction to those replies was not "it would be fun and educational to play games with these very same people over voice chat."

a) you don't need to voice chat w anyone, nor would you in random matchmaking, b) if you're just making your decisions via lurking and not talking to a single person then yeah, you probably arent going to find ppl to fight with

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Countblanc posted:

i definitely agree with Dias that playing online is just a worse experience, and not because of lag or any other systems like that. People act like jackasses online and that poo poo wouldnt fly at a local (where people act like jackasses but in much funnier ways), and getting beat sitting next to your buddy while you talk about how sick a thing from the previous match was or what to get on your pizza is a lot less soul-rending than losing to what may as well be a robot until the set is over where you both drop your "gg" and maybe they give you some advice.

when my locals dried up for traditional FGs i started playing a lot more smash because, even if i didnt enjoy it as much, playing sets for 6 hours at your friend's place is a lot more fun than doing the same alone in my room

This is also why, as someone commented before, when playing online long sets of 1vs1 with the same person are more "fun" than quick matches. The more personal the interaction is, the more enjoyable it is.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

http://goons.challonge.com/sf51

i forgot that im the eternal champ

never forget IM THE CHAMP

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

i really wish football was played with fewer people and less running and throwing over a shorter distance with a larger ball no physical contact allowed and over a much shorter period of time so i could play it with the better players without feeling like a complete baby

we have this arena football you might be interested in

or slamball if you really like compound fractures

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

he's in a better place

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Real hurthling! posted:

it will be relaunched next year as a lol fighter and be bigger than sf

It is going to loving curb stomp SFV too. It will be better in every way and that's the sad part. Capcom is poo poo.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Go back to your anime thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

Go back to your anime thread

This is the anime thread, dawg.