Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I couldn't hear a drat thing, but it's nice to know the saying as its origins in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We're only on day 10 of GB16's run and it's already made $86m domestically, fall wayyyyyyy short of that.

Yeah, it's on track for the 130 million run that everyone predicted six months ago and started the mainstream shaming.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gender swapped papillon

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

I don't really care for Ghostbusters. It's okay, I don't dislike it, but I don't really "get" it.

it must be awful going through life without a sense of humor.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
Race swapped planet of the apes.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

I wonder if it was Fieg or the studio who cut the dance number and how did Fieg feel about it?

They showed the dance number during the credits.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ork of Fiction posted:

they probably shouldn't have

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Groovelord Neato posted:

it must be awful going through life without a sense of humor.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Telling CineD that even good movies sometimes don't make money drives them insane.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

remember the old Current Releases feature on the front page? the cined reviewers took so much pride in being unfunny that when g0m wrote a guest review that was actually good, one of them quit in protest

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Ork of Fiction posted:

I usually stay for credits to hear the music and pick out interesting names and weird jobs titles or special thanks, etc. I was done with Ghostbusters the moment the credits started rolling and left. Glad to hear that what sounds like a genuinely entertaining moment in a mediocre fail pile was relegated to credit duty.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/07/netflix-will-stream-14-episodes-of-mystery-science-theater-3000-revival/

Patton Oswalt about to ruin MST3K too

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

has the walrus man quit twitter yet

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Who the gently caress is Felicia Day? Only ever seen her on like youtube video game reviews, or the generic gamer girl sidekick on... youtube video game sketch comedy. I don't get the appeal.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 26, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

remember the old Current Releases feature on the front page? the cined reviewers took so much pride in being unfunny that when g0m wrote a guest review that was actually good, one of them quit in protest

The tantrums they threw when people poo poo on them for their Gone Girl review were the funniest things they ever did.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
David Auerbach recently returned to Twitter, and he had this interview with New York magazine.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/david-auerbach-problem-with-media.html

quote:

What is so appealing about content geared primarily to rattle someone’s cage?

There you’re looking at cortisol production. There’s no more powerful force in human history than tribalism. You see this everywhere, that these outrage stories produce tribes. There’s nothing that gets people to band together more than a perceived common enemy. And it doesn’t really matter what the perceived common enemy is. But if you can generate a story that gets the reaction, “This is an outrage, I must tell my friends about this,” and my friends will then feel pressured themselves to read the story, express their outrage, condemn people who do not agree with them in their outrage, and share it further, then you’re going to do better than just some random feel-good story that will be shared by a smaller percentage. Every indication shows that the most shared stories are of two types: On the one hand you have these outrage stories. On the other hand you have things like “The Dress” [The one that looked blue and black to some people and … you remember.] The problem is that no one can figure out how to manufacture Dress stories on demand. Outrage, however, has more of a formula to it. The Stanford-rapist story is genuinely outrageous, and it gets clicks. That’s perfect. So people say, what else can we find to get outraged about? Okay, let’s find someone who’s done something bad and skewer him. Sometimes the target is the actual writer themselves, which is where you get hate clicks. Except most of these stories won’t be as legitimately outrageous as the Stanford-rapist story. So you get the same approach applied to marketing Ghostbusters, and suddenly criticizing Ghostbusters gets treated with the same seriousness as the Stanford story. You’re trying to rile people up. Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh pioneered this outrage-all-the-time approach with nonsense like the War on Christmas, and now the mainstream and the left have taken it up.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 26, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hadaka Apron posted:

David Auerbach recently returned to Twitter, and he had this interview with New York magazine.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/david-auerbach-problem-with-media.html

He's right it really is like the bullshit with the war on christmas. Also I hate this kind of stuff because oh hey we can look at police brutality or we can get mad over people not liking a movie.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that last sentence is dead-on. during the bush years, most people sneered at right-wing people who watched and liked entertainment because it jived with their politics. now the left and people who style themselves as left are doing the exact same thing, and also writing essays about it. and now every website is cranking out these essays because it's profitable

i don't give a poo poo if websites that aren't outrage bait aren't profitable, we need more of them

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

that last sentence is dead-on. during the bush years, most people sneered at right-wing people who watched and liked entertainment because it jived with their politics. now the left and people who style themselves as left are doing the exact same thing, and also writing essays about it

I say as long as you find it fun watch it. (well unless its got Michael Bays name on it, aka poo poo).

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Reboot Willow. Have generic techno-metal blasting and those speed-up-slow-down bits during the entirety of every fight. Throw in as much swearing as PG-13 will let you get away with. (I think that's one gently caress, a couple shits, a few damns and probably handful of dicks.) Make all of the supernatural elements clearly the result of sleight-of-hand and stage magic and doggedly point out that the queen is an illegitimate ruler so we can hopefully squeeze this one into China with minimal effort. Oh yeah, instead of played out hobbits or whatever, the heroes are just a couple bland white actors with fake accents. Sorcia needs gigantic tits and no speaking parts.

Tell the studio you want Peter Dinklage for the lead then just sit back and count the wheelbarrows of money they send your way.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

red19fire posted:

Who the gently caress is Felicia Day? Only ever seen her on like youtube video game reviews, or the generic gamer girl sidekick on... youtube video game sketch comedy. I don't get the appeal.

She's the approachable type, which is basically as rigorous as the typical nerds screening process gets

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Felecia Day tweeted well wishes and a speedy recovery from cancer to Total Biscuit. that was nice of her

her Dragon Age 2 dlc is awful

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

I say as long as you find it fun watch it. (well unless its got Michael Bays name on it, aka poo poo).
the problem is that there's more pop culture criticism that isn't just saying "i liked it because it was fun to watch and the characters were good." if you perceive a movie, music, or whatever else as compatible with your worldview, then that is the height of "good art"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Y-Hat posted:

the problem is that there's more pop culture criticism that isn't just saying "i liked it because it was fun to watch and the characters were good." if you perceive a movie, music, or whatever else as compatible with your worldview, then that is the height of "good art"

I mean its fine to analyze a film, but don't over analyze it. I mean does anyone want to be like those humorless fucks at Salon?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean its fine to analyze a film, but don't over analyze it. I mean does anyone want to be like those humorless fucks at Salon?
apparently yes, because thinkpieces are everywhere

current releases ended before every website decided that imitating Thought Catalog was a good idea. it was ahead of its time in a very bad way

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Analyze a movie as much you want, just don't expect anyone else to decide that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence's buddy cop antics are no longer enjoyable when you tell them Bad Boy's II is really about how the drug war is a method for the US to subjugate the third world.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tricky D posted:

Analyze a movie as much you want, just don't expect anyone else to decide that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence's buddy cop antics are no longer enjoyable when you tell them Bad Boy's II is really about how the drug war is a method for the US to subjugate the third world.

It just makes me wonder why Martin Lawrence gets work.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
With Kevin Hart around, I don't think that he does any more.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Tricky D posted:

The thought police loves saying " You can enjoy problematic things as long as you're aware that they're problematic"

Thanks for your goddamn permission, you loving nazi cunts

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The MSJ posted:

Lights Out is a remake of a 10 minute video.

Also I'm pretty sure many people in CD like Lights Out.

It's a 3 minute short done by the same director and was expanded into a full length movie.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

The feature as a whole was shut down when the site's owners decided that each week would have a humor review by someone like g0m, Duncan, etc and the entire CR team quit in protest lol.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Is that really what happened? A bunch of sperglords threw a tantrum because comedy website decided they had to share the space for their serious posts with joke reviews. CineD continues to be a barrel of laughs.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

"none of these people have ever seen what a female plane looks like"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I usually stay for credits to hear the music and pick out interesting names and weird jobs titles or special thanks, etc. I was done with Ghostbusters the moment the credits started rolling and left. Glad to hear that what sounds like a genuinely entertaining moment in a mediocre fail pile was relegated to credit duty.

I think in the DVD release of the original film there was one of the commentary tracks or the commentary captions that said something like, "Filmmakers wanted to wrap the film up quickly after the climax. When they beat Gozer, the film is over, the audience is ready to move on, we don't want to drag this out too long." So that made me a bit more aware, perhaps, of how GB 2016 felt like it had a several 'endings'. It feels like you've got an ending, an ending, an ending, a credits scene, a post-credits scene. Just get it done with, I'm ready to move on!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Telling CineD that even good movies sometimes don't make money drives them insane.

Citizen Kane bombed on its first release. :v: (William Randolph Hearst was doing everything in his power to bury the film so there was a really good reason it failed, but still.)

I made some handy lists in the Escape from NY thread about fan favourite films that bombed at the box office:

Big Trouble in Little China was a terrible flop when it was playing, no one went and saw it and it only made $11 million. :smith:

They Live and The Thing didn't do much better but Carpenter spent wayyyyy less making them so at least their box office exceeded their production costs. He actually made Escape from New York for only $6 million and it pulled in $25 million so it ran a decent profit in the end. His cheaper films were strangely way more popular, he only had a budget of about $300,000 on Halloween back in '78 and it was his most commercially successful film of his entire career by a huge margin.

Other cinema bombs: Labyrinth, Dune, The Neverending Story, Buckaroo Banzai, Brazil
Films that did really badly but still made a profit because they cost nearly nothing to make: Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness, Repo Man, Day of the Dead, Mad Max, Re-Animator, Withnail and I, Tremors, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Reservoir Dogs,
Films that only barely made a first run profit: Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption, The Big Lebowski

From this we can conclude that:

A) Box office gross/popularity is in no way connected to quality

B) Many filmmakers are genuinely ahead of their time and/or Hollywood often has no idea how to market their films

C) Audiences are idiots

Edit: films that made more money that Big Trouble In Little China:
Young Einstein, Police Academy 6: City Under Siege, Caddyshack II, Highlander 3: The Final Dimension, Weekend at Bernie's II, Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Blues Brothers 2000, Freddy Got Fingered, Supergirl, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, Dungeons & Dragons, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Howard the Duck, Son of the Mask, Masters of the Universe, Jaws IV: The Revenge, Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, Elektra, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
point B is salient after seeing literally zero promotion for The Nice Guys in Toronto, Chicago and NYC before/during/after it premiered

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I think your post us spot on and I've seen everything on your list except this, and I'd never heard of it. I looked it up on IMDB and noticed Richard Giffiths looked as old in 1987 as he did in the Harry Potter movies. I need to find a copy, though, it looks good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I think your post us spot on and I've seen everything on your list except this, and I'd never heard of it. I looked it up on IMDB and noticed Richard Giffiths looked as old in 1987 as he did in the Harry Potter movies. I need to find a copy, though, it looks good.

That movie is the best and you're in for a good time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ork of Fiction posted:

That's even more bizarre then because they definitely cut it due to the backlash. They might SAY they did it for editing or time, but it was even cut from the trailers after people started making fun of it online.

So to cut it and stick it in the credits? Just seems real odd.

Anyway, wanna see the Blair Warlock Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Citizen Kane bombed on its first release. :v: (William Randolph Hearst was doing everything in his power to bury the film so there was a really good reason it failed, but still.)

Orson Welles actually wanted to use Hearst's despotism against him - he asked the studio to rent circus tents and take the movie on a travelling tour of America, marketing the screenings with slogans like "showing the film they don't want you to see". He argued that people would love the air of exclusivity and scandal surrounding the movie, and would flock to see it everywhere it would turn up - thus Hearst would have provided the best possible advertising campaign imaginable. But the studio chickened out.

Unrelated to anything, but it's an interesting bit of movie history.

• Locked thread