Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The only characters I don't like are Ruto, Agitha, and baton Zelda. I've found everyone else at least acceptable.

Linkle still best tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What don't you like about Ruto? Not trying to be antagonistic or anything, just legit curious

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ruto has too many moves that seem to involve flopping around like a fish to negligible effect and I'm not 100% on what they all actually do. She's maybe more fun when you actually learn her but I've used her enough to not enjoy it

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Baton Zelda has a purpose, and it's "all attacks are devastating" maps.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ruto has too many moves that seem to involve flopping around like a fish to negligible effect and I'm not 100% on what they all actually do. She's maybe more fun when you actually learn her but I've used her enough to not enjoy it

C5 is all you need. for anything.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
All of Ruto's specials seems to feature vast amounts of time when she's completely vulnerable, not getting hit as her is a nightmare.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Senerio posted:

Baton Zelda has a purpose, and it's "all attacks are devastating" maps.

Or you could just use the bow

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

All of Ruto's specials seems to feature vast amounts of time when she's completely vulnerable, not getting hit as her is a nightmare.

Yeah this is one of my main issues with her and she just feels slow. I also never liked the character anyway so I have no incentive to practice because I only ever use her when a restricted battle is in the way of stuff I want.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Boots Linkle has quickly become one of my favorites. Reminds me a lot of Hylian Sword/Master Sword Link, though without a good keep clearing move like the spin attack. It's quicker though, which is nice. I never really got a handle on the Crossbows. They're fun, for sure, but they never seemed effective to me like everyone else seemed to say they were.

When does the next DLC come out? I've completed all the maps (all A ranks, all skulltulas, all hearts, all fairy clothes, all weapons) and grinding for badges/levels is getting annoying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mastajake posted:

I never really got a handle on the Crossbows. They're fun, for sure, but they never seemed effective to me like everyone else seemed to say they were.

Mash Y until secondary bar is full, hold X until secondary bar is empty, press A, repeat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The big problem with boots Linkle is that there's no way to raise/drop her hood.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Ruto is A+ #1 boss stomper, nobody as an easier time knocking down weak meter from a distance. Useful for the imprisoned on some maps. You really just wanna stay back and shoot waves, occasionally doing one of her aoe moves when you get crowded in. Ruto was consistently my highest level character by like 10 levels

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dunban posted:

Or you could just use the bow
That's slow as poo poo. The Baton's basic strong attack is like a shotgun blast on those stages: unparrelled range and spread. Just don't hold the button down or you'll be stuck directing a mini-tornado untill you can dash out of it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Which characters generally have the best specials for the kill 150 via special Skulltulas? And in those cases is it advisable to just ignore the element and run with the best specials anyway?

I find that I get more kills with Sheik's SP than most.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

mastajake posted:

When does the next DLC come out? I've completed all the maps (all A ranks, all skulltulas, all hearts, all fairy clothes, all weapons) and grinding for badges/levels is getting annoying.

:stare:

What is your total play time at?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Not sure how to find out, actually. But I did most of the collectathon stuff (after beating the Ganon in each map) in like a week or two while listening to the Worm audiobook. It's not too bad, especially since a lot of maps let you use multiple characters. So I used it as an opportunity to get Link, Ganondorf, and Linkle up to 150.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

You can find your playtime in the 3DS activity log.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I've finally gotten everyone to level 40, and I've almost unlocked all of the mission rewards for the original adventure mode. There's so much drat content in this game, what the hell.

I've only just started Master Quest. Got all the weapons and costumes from the first map, working on fairy costumes now, still have some weapons to get from Great Sea, but maaaan, I hate playing as some of these characters.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ok, so i'm down to about 6 level 4 weapons on the twilight map, annoyingly 3 of them are for the loving wind waker DLC characters. Even though i've got them all up to about level 60, none of them have any of their silver defense badges because they're all boss drops. Because of that, i just keep taking silly levels of damage.

I've been trying for the last half hour to get just 5 phantom ganon capes for toon link (i found a tile on the great sea that lets you quickly farm him and an Argorok), but the damned thing keeps dropping food or weapons instead of the silver material.

I've got 3 characters on the map (2 of which have material+ on their weapon), but is there anything else i should be doing to improve the drop rate over stuff i don't want?

Maybe im not even grinding a good map and other factors are taken into consideration for drop rates, if so, is there a decent place? At this rate i'm not even sure grinding up the character level is going to make much of a difference if they dont have decent defence badges.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've never found the Defense badges to be worth grinding for due to their restriction to only Element Recommended maps. Not sure what your playstyle is, but maybe focusing on ranged attacking and dodging might be more beneficial than grinding materials for defense badges?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

I've never found the Defense badges to be worth grinding for due to their restriction to only Element Recommended maps. Not sure what your playstyle is, but maybe focusing on ranged attacking and dodging might be more beneficial than grinding materials for defense badges?

I just assumed that those were the reason i was taking massive amounts of damage on the map. My level 150 link with all the gold badges in defence barely takes any damage at all from a hit. I thought that level just contributed to damage, but does it boost your defence against damage too?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but any advice on tackling the block right before Young Links T2 weapon in Great Sea map? The one with all the annoying bosses. I've got Link at 58, Ganondorf at 52 and I took Volga whose at 41. Everyones at least 35 Maybe I'm just underleveled?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but any advice on tackling the block right before Young Links T2 weapon in Great Sea map? The one with all the annoying bosses. I've got Link at 58, Ganondorf at 52 and I took Volga whose at 41. Everyones at least 35 Maybe I'm just underleveled?

Make sure to take them on one at a time. Use magic as much as you can to expose the weak points fast. I used Link with the master sword and YYYB (C4 I think?). Make sure each other character has the command to go after the boss you're currently working on. I took them on in the order Imprisoned, Ganon, Phantom Ganon. Took me two tries, Phantom Ganon can do tons of damage to you if you aren't careful. Somehow I avoided aggroing Phantom Ganon by going around the northeast path and coming back down towards Ganon after the Imprisoned.

Now, uh, my levels were also sort of absurd. Link was somewhere in the 110s, Daphnes was 50 and Ganondorf 48.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

Make sure to take them on one at a time. Use magic as much as you can to expose the weak points fast. I used Link with the master sword and YYYB (C4 I think?). Make sure each other character has the command to go after the boss you're currently working on. I took them on in the order Imprisoned, Ganon, Phantom Ganon. Took me two tries, Phantom Ganon can do tons of damage to you if you aren't careful. Somehow I avoided aggroing Phantom Ganon by going around the northeast path and coming back down towards Ganon after the Imprisoned.

Now, uh, my levels were also sort of absurd. Link was somewhere in the 110s, Daphnes was 50 and Ganondorf 48.

Yeah alright. I think I need to practice killing Phantom Ganon and Ganon with ease. Is it possible to use magic to break the Imprisoned while he does his belly crawl? And last question is it better to stick to one character or to switch between the 3 to work on their magic meters? I used Volga for imprisoned since his dragon form destroys his toes but if it's advisable to stick to Link, who's my strongest then I'll do so.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah alright. I think I need to practice killing Phantom Ganon and Ganon with ease. Is it possible to use magic to break the Imprisoned while he does his belly crawl? And last question is it better to stick to one character or to switch between the 3 to work on their magic meters? I used Volga for imprisoned since his dragon form destroys his toes but if it's advisable to stick to Link, who's my strongest then I'll do so.

The Master Sword's beams destroy The Imprisoned's toes in 2 hits if you aim them right, and yeah, you can use magic to knock him down during that phase, but if you're not careful you might accidentally miss his hitbox while he's crawling around. Switch between all 3 to get the most magic as possie out of a boss.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Magypsy posted:

The Master Sword's beams destroy The Imprisoned's toes in 2 hits if you aim them right, and yeah, you can use magic to knock him down during that phase, but if you're not careful you might accidentally miss his hitbox while he's crawling around. Switch between all 3 to get the most magic as possie out of a boss.

Would switching really be the most effective? As far as I can tell computer controlled characters don't gain magic or special attacks while computer controlled. At least I think that's the case. Wouldn't it be just as efficient to plug away with the same warrior?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That square is a bitch and a half. Don't be afraid to come back to it later if it gives you trouble. I left that square until I'd gotten Young Link's level 3 weapon. It was kind of awkward, but at that point I was able to clear that square.

A good tip I was told here when I complained about it is to use the Bombos Fairy skill. Your fire fairy should have it, or any fairy that has been raised in fire affinity. It tanks the giant boss' defense and makes your weak-point smashers just about one-shot them. Makes it go a hell of a lot faster!

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Would switching really be the most effective? As far as I can tell computer controlled characters don't gain magic or special attacks while computer controlled. At least I think that's the case. Wouldn't it be just as efficient to plug away with the same warrior?

Well, every character gets half their magic filled when you surround a boss. Once you've used one character's magic to knock down a boss, you can start attacking them with another character who has theirs partially filled, so you get another full bar quicker.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Magypsy posted:

Well, every character gets half their magic filled when you surround a boss. Once you've used one character's magic to knock down a boss, you can start attacking them with another character who has theirs partially filled, so you get another full bar quicker.

That's clever. Thanks. I'll give these tips all a shot.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Magypsy posted:

Urgh never twigged to doing this. New tactic found!

Just running through the termina map for the first time. Is the gist of the strategy to just aim to unlock all of the owl squares in the first 72 turns then get the giants and smash the moon within the first handful of turns in the second?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Kin posted:

Urgh never twigged to doing this. New tactic found!

Just running through the termina map for the first time. Is the gist of the strategy to just aim to unlock all of the owl squares in the first 72 turns then get the giants and smash the moon within the first handful of turns in the second?

You can comfortably get to the moon and beat the boss there in the first cycle, which entirely removes the countdown and allows you to do things at your own pace. Just prioritize getting the four masks and don't try to get every single weapon, skulltula and costume.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dunban posted:

Agitha will be at the bottom of that list, right

No. That is reserved for Fi (at least probably in the Wii U version: Legends!Fi may not actually be the worst character in the game anymore because she can now drop The Imprisoned, Ganon, and Phantom Ganon WPGs to zero without the need for a special) or Tetra. We'll see.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Which characters generally have the best specials for the kill 150 via special Skulltulas? And in those cases is it advisable to just ignore the element and run with the best specials anyway?

Slow and steady. That's cool though. Ruto's quickly become one of my favorite keep clearers and I'm really fond of the range on her C1, but I remembering you mention the best water character is the King or something of that nature.

There's so many characters that I've hardly played with. I pretty ignore Fi on purpose, but I've noticed I hardly ever play as Cia. Still, I'm just about to complete Great Sea, with 3 weapons left to get including hers.

The King, yes. However, Ruto is not very far behind. In fact, she's probably only slightly worse than the King: She can drop every regular boss WPG without special, has a simple but powerful combo against officers an a straightforward launcher, a good projectile in the C1 waves, C3 for hit-and-run tactics, and C6 is a powerful crowdclearer. Her main failings is that C4 and C5 are useless (C4 less so if you know how to dodge cancel it to fill the Water Gauge since it actually fills it up pretty high for coming out so early) and that without the C1 waves, she essentially has no options for enemy characters. Solidly above average at the very least, but harder to master than the King (who I think is slightly above her in terms of performance + he's a bit easier to use) and Marin (since while she's worse than the aforementioned and is a pretty average character, she's also easier to use than both of them and is better than the other water users).

mastajake posted:

Boots Linkle has quickly become one of my favorites. Reminds me a lot of Hylian Sword/Master Sword Link, though without a good keep clearing move like the spin attack. It's quicker though, which is nice. I never really got a handle on the Crossbows. They're fun, for sure, but they never seemed effective to me like everyone else seemed to say they were.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Mash Y until secondary bar is full, hold X until secondary bar is empty, press A, repeat.

The Crossbows weapon is a decent allrounder: It can drop every regular Giant Boss WPG without special, has a simple but effective combo against enemy officers, is allright against enemy characters, is decent at multiple officer situations, and decent at crowdclearing. It's main failing is that it's simply decent all around, especially when it comes to the stuff that's thrown at you the most. Giant Bosses are rather uncommon, and even then, there are characters who outclass her simply because their damage output against them, either through WPS or during the WPG exposure phase, are higher than hers: characters like Wizzro and Ganondorf come to mind, but also Master Sword, Young Link in Fierce Deity forme, Skull Kid, Zant when he sweet spots his C1 projectiles (and if he doesn't, he still has what's probably the highest damage output a character can do to a boss without WPSing them), Cia due to her C6 (and to make matters worse, Cia is an allrounder like Linkle, but is generally better at being an allrounder too). It's on the higher end of above average.

Compared to the Crossbows, the Boots appear to be very fast, and very combo- and one-on-one oriented which specializes her more, but she loses some of her all around effectiveness, especially when it comes to mook killing and Giant Bosses. It's possibly the worst Lightning-Elemental weapon, depending on where Baton ultimately ends up. Still, it is not a bad weapon (merely average), and I would say that the element she wields when using the Boots is better than the element of her Crossbows. (Lightning is the second best element in terms of elemental damage and elemental effect, while the crossbows have the Fire element, which is the worst to have in terms of which enemies are weak against it while it's effect is probably the second-worst of them.)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So i'm noticing something weird in the in the 3ds version. Basically, having just beaten the moon in the Termina map I've managed to pick up multiple weapons with the locked 25k skill, but not a single one with the 10k skill.

Has the 10k skills drop rate been reduced or something due to this new 25k skill?

Like i'm getting lots of 1k and 3k skills on weapons but it feels like the volume of 25k skills I've been getting should be more balanced towards the 10k skill. It's particularly brutal as I could throw this onto many of the level 3 or 4 weapons I already have to make it easier to get the rest.

It feels kind of redundant to unlock the 25k skill until after I have all the weapons.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 3, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

So i'm noticing something weird in the in the 3ds version. Basically, having just beaten the moon in the Termina map I've managed to pick up multiple weapons with the locked 25k skill, but not a single one with the 10k skill.

Has the 10k skills drop rate been reduced or something due to this new 25k skill?

Like i'm getting lots of 1k and 3k skills on weapons but it feels like the volume of 25k skills I've been getting should be more balanced towards the 10k skill. It's particularly brutal as I could throw this onto many of the level 3 or 4 weapons I already have to make it easier to get the rest.

It feels kind of redundant to unlock the 25k skill until after I have all the weapons.

The 25k skill you get for the other weapons is different from the Master Sword 25k skill. Here's the lowdown:

10k Master Sword: Evil's Bane: Ups weapon strength by an additional 200, so that the Master Sword has 500 base strength. This is a 25k skill on the Wii U version, and the only skill given to the Master Sword. It's also exclusive to the Master Sword, no matter what.
25k Master Sword: Exorcist : Ups weapon strength by an additional 400. This is the Master Sword's new skill in Legends and basically the new 25k skill for it. When both Master Sword skills are unlocked, the Master Sword has 900 base strength. Also exclusive to the Master Sword, much like Evil's Bane before it.
25k Other Weapons: Legendary: .Weapon base strength is changed to 300 (on the Wii U version) or 560 (in Legends). So any weapon, regardless of level, has it's previous base strength changed to 300/560. Weapon stars take this new base strength into consideration, so a 1-star weapon has 330/616 strength, a 2-star weapon has 360/672 strength, a 3-star weapon has 390/728 strength, a 4-star weapon has 420/784 strength, and a 5-star weapon has 450/840 strength. It's quite frankly only useful on Lv. 1 or 2 weapons (+Lv. 3 weapons if you're playing Legends).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah, I get ya now, so there is no 10k skill for the normal weapons?

Do i still need to get every weapon for the 25k skill to unlock on them?

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

You need to unlock the Master Sword's 25k skill, which needs every weapon, yeah.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kin posted:

You do.

Also, if you get the Bazaar fully upgraded via Skulltulas, 4000-kill Augment skills will start showing up on weapons. Hasty Attacks is a particularly widely useful one of these on many characters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

You need to get all weapons from Lv. 1 to 4. Once that happens, unlock Evil's Bane and Exorcist on the Master Sword. Once that's done, Legendary will become unsealed, and you may unlock it for any of the other weapons.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Are the two 3DS exclusive maps better laid out than the termina one?

Even after stopping the moon it feels like there's so much mission grinding to get the bombs/ice arrows required to unhide all the items.

Also, what's a typical average recommended level for termina weapon squares to reduce frustration ? I was working off a rough guideline of at least level 75 with a 5* level 3 weapon. It just seems that anything below that doesn't dish out enough damage to beat the timer requirement.

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Are the two 3DS exclusive maps better laid out than the termina one?

Even after stopping the moon it feels like there's so much mission grinding to get the bombs/ice arrows required to unhide all the items.

Also, what's a typical average recommended level for termina weapon squares to reduce frustration ? I was working off a rough guideline of at least level 75 with a 5* level 3 weapon. It just seems that anything below that doesn't dish out enough damage to beat the timer requirement.

Master Wind Waker is cool.

Koholint Island isn't entirely grind-free when it comes to item cards (since only two of them are actually used for uncovering hidden rewards), but it's much easier to navigate and does not have the "restart-the-entire-map-if-countdown-reaches 0" gimmick of the Termina one.

That said, you're gonna have to expect a sizeable amount of grinding for item cards, no matter the map you're completing.

Lv. 60-75 with a Lv. 3 weapon with as many stars as possible, depending on where the weapon mission is located. And you may still want to have some levels above that on the latter missions if they're a hard mission-type. (gently caress you Lv. 4 Mask!)

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 6, 2016

• Locked thread