Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

FranktheBank posted:

I tend to fly things that can use drones as supplemental damage, just to put all those perfect skills to use. i'll probably just stick with amarr, since there doesnt seem to be a consensus for pvp.

I should give stratios a shot...

With drones as primary DPS people tend to use Gallente drones since they do the most DPS and hit thermal, which is unlikely to be specifically tanked for (although not a common resist hole either) on an omni tanking PVP ship. The big exception would be if you know your target's resist hole in advance, like ratter ganking.

As supplementary DPS on cruisers Warriors and Acolytes are popular because they're the fastest (good for getting interceptors and other light tackle to gently caress off) and will hit armor or shield resist holes respectively.

Caldari drones are good for, uh, killing Guristas I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

I'm pretty sure the drone applied dps would be insignificant in a vigilant. It's a pretty cool space boat.

It is. But I use rails so sometimes I have to adjust range to get full effect so drones help keep constant pressure on target.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Morris posted:

Caldari drones are good for, uh, killing Guristas I guess

Wait...Caldari have drones?

But yeah. Warrior II's are great. They do good work on tackle ships. Get a few sets of warriors on something small and it will die if it doesn't run.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

justsharkbait posted:

Solo drone boats can be lots of fun, even though as stated they are not really in style ATM.

However, for solo stuff drones are pretty bad unless you have the relevant skills to 5.

This is flat out wrong. Fly vexors, they're arguably the strongest of t1 cruisers, with active-tanked vexors being one of the best solo cruisers out there.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

Lost my rattle in a stupid 8/10.

Was MWD'ing to grab the loot from the boss. Ended up dropping too low on cap to MJD out of their webs + disrupts. It was great.

Luckily I kept a spare.

Never 8/10.

Can't you bookmark the can, bounce to a safe for a couple of minutes until the thing respawns, and then come back to loot?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Jazzzzz posted:

Can't you bookmark the can, bounce to a safe for a couple of minutes until the thing respawns, and then come back to loot?

Yes. I was impatient. I am bad at Eve.

Luckily, playing 8-12 hours a day makes my losses almost irrelevant. (Also, my XL shield booster dropped, so 400m saved)

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The Alliance Tournament prizes and participants have been announced for those who are into that sort of thing.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
hacking bonuses for the people who pve in their tournament ships.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

Yes. I was impatient. I am bad at Eve.

Luckily, playing 8-12 hours a day makes my losses almost irrelevant. (Also, my XL shield booster dropped, so 400m saved)

Well, that helps.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

This is flat out wrong. Fly vexors, they're arguably the strongest of t1 cruisers, with active-tanked vexors being one of the best solo cruisers out there.

yeah uh drones are pretty drat good and as a pvp weapon system they are great. they aren't great for range (sentries are, but lol. gently caress that) but brawling? hell yeah.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Deofuta posted:

The Alliance Tournament prizes and participants have been announced for those who are into that sort of thing.

what are camel lords calling themselves this year and how many teams are they running?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Orange Red Bull posted:

what are camel lords calling themselves this year and how many teams are they running?
Warlords is dead and most of its FCs and theorycrafters quit the game; its regular pilots who still want to do tournaments are scattered across various other teams (a couple went to PL, a few more went to Exodus, some are in the new Russian team Vydra). Camel is still alive as a TQ entity but not running a team this year; some of their former guys have gone off to join other active teams, but like warlords, they haven't moved as a unit.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

so then who is the next best hope to beat PL?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Some awful lowsec/wormhole-dwelling scrubs who can barely get 15 actual people in fleet on a good day, probably.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Was the increase in points for HICs/restriction on unique ships a welcome change? Tournament meta changes and compositions are fascinating.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Some awful lowsec/wormhole-dwelling scrubs who can barely get 15 actual people in fleet on a good day, probably.

I would expect nothing less.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Deofuta posted:

Was the increase in points for HICs/restriction on unique ships a welcome change? Tournament meta changes and compositions are fascinating.
The restriction on unique ships is, IMO, long overdue - without it, you'd have a very hard barrier during the final weekend between teams that are rich enough (or have had enough success in past tournaments) to run setups with multiple AT ships and those who don't. Some prize ships are powerful enough to turn matches between otherwise evenly-matched teams almost by themselves. The HIC point increase doesn't seem warranted in my opinion, although that may just be saltiness over having to rework a few setups that have been performing well.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deofuta posted:

Yes.

Though from a "I enjoy it when people field a tournament ship and lose it" perspective, it's a bummer :smith:

Edit - CCP actually want to make it fair to everyone like people are saying, then they should just outright ban AT ships all together from the tournament. They won't but that's the only solution to the "it's not fair they have an AT ship and I don't" situation their prize structure created over the past 7 years.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 27, 2016

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

LemonDrizzle posted:

Stop describing my current alliance by accident rear end in a top hat. :nixon:

Deofuta posted:

I wish I could say I was but every time I see it, I see the nice looking ships and skins and realize that it'd be far more entertaining to hear about these ships being destroyed than watching them being won.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deofuta posted:

In related stuff over on EVE NT we've been livestreaming the open practices that TEST has put together the past few years and doing some commentary etc.

This is the stuff from July 23rds stream.

VYDRA Reloaded (MLG) vs White Legion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFtaOIOis2E

A Band Apart vs League of Unaligned Master Pilots - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUwxFq_6po

Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork vs Rapid Withdrawal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXKyIb97JM

VYDRA Reloaded vs League of Unaligned Master Pilots - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uCv53Li88

White Legion vs Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MgZzVm9NA

VYDRA Reloaded vs Curatores Veritatis Alliance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnqLIoAzc5g

Mercenary Coalition (L2CLB) vs Rapid Withdrawal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIuC6DirFQ

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deofuta posted:

I'm not into this sort of thing really (I like the idea of it, but watching matches bores me to tears after a while). On the other hand, I like to look up price ships and wishing I could have them. This year I may be close enough to actually have a chance at buying one. The Caedes looks helluva interesting, for example.

How much are AT-prices going for normally? I don't really know anything about the market for super-expensive ships. Are 1-2 billion ISK enough for a AT-frigate, or am I dreaming?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Libluini posted:

I'm not into this sort of thing really (I like the idea of it, but watching matches bores me to tears after a while). On the other hand, I like to look up price ships and wishing I could have them. This year I may be close enough to actually have a chance at buying one. The Caedes looks helluva interesting, for example.

How much are AT-prices going for normally? I don't really know anything about the market for super-expensive ships. Are 1-2 billion ISK enough for a AT-frigate, or am I dreaming?

It's more like 100-150 billions...

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Libluini posted:

These paragraphs combined are amazing

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Krogort posted:

It's more like 100-150 billions...
Well, they may see a bit of a price drop now that you can only field one per match in the tournament itself (rip my etana/double fiend/double cambion setup :cry:), and some of the less popular frigates are selling at closer to 80-90b atm, but yeah, 1-2b is a little optimistic unless you can find a seller who forgets to type in a few zeroes when making contracts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo, I guess I can forget my dream of owning a AT-ship, then.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
While I'm sure there are lots of legitimate reasons to have exclusive AT ships, I would prefer it if CCP just gave everyone a 1-run BPC of each of the ships when the AT finishes. There's so much interesting design space that the AT ships take up that we're never going to see because CCP needs to feed PL their yearly welfare cheque. Makes it difficult to get excited for the Alliance Tournament.

On the other hand, I hope next year's Alliance Tournament is sponsored by ORE.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

On the other hand, I hope next year's Alliance Tournament is sponsored by ORE.

Do you want nobody to show up?

But in all seriousness, it's because I will never see them I do not care about these prizes. When it comes to ships, I just want them to expand the trees of all factions like they did to the Serpentis. I'd be very interested to see what a Blood Raider titan would be like, for instance.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

While I'm sure there are lots of legitimate reasons to have exclusive AT ships, I would prefer it if CCP just gave everyone a 1-run BPC of each of the ships when the AT finishes. There's so much interesting design space that the AT ships take up that we're never going to see because CCP needs to feed PL their yearly welfare cheque. Makes it difficult to get excited for the Alliance Tournament.
Eh, not really seeing it. The prize ships are, by design, so overpowered that they couldn't realistically be made generally available without dominating the game to an extent that would make the Orthrus and Svipul seem fair and balanced. I'm also not sure which particular niches you think are occupied by prize ships to the exclusion of regular ones. The only one that springs to mind is covops-bridgeable logistics, but it's not the existence of the Etana or the new armor one that's keeping CCP from making ships with those capabilities generally available, it's concerns about their general balancing.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Eh, not really seeing it. The prize ships are, by design, so overpowered that they couldn't realistically be made generally available without dominating the game to an extent that would make the Orthrus and Svipul seem fair and balanced. I'm also not sure which particular niches you think are occupied by prize ships to the exclusion of regular ones. The only one that springs to mind is covops-bridgeable logistics, but it's not the existence of the Etana or the new armor one that's keeping CCP from making ships with those capabilities generally available, it's concerns about their general balancing.

In terms of design space, there's a lot of things that AT ships do that are really interesting; the Cambion has that massive module overheat bonus, the Whiptail is a drone Interceptor, the Sansha's HIC can move full speed with its bubble up, and the two AT combat CovOps ships are basically the Blood Raider and Angels version of the Astero.

Balancing them is a given, but I don't generally have a problem with them being odd outliers when it comes to the things they can do -- they're Pirate (and Navy) ships, they're supposed to break the rules and do unusual things. It would be insanely cool to be able to fly (balanced) Imps and Malices and Chremoas in places other than SiSi.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

In terms of design space, there's a lot of things that AT ships do that are really interesting; the Cambion has that massive module overheat bonus, the Whiptail is a drone Interceptor, the Sansha's HIC can move full speed with its bubble up, and the two AT combat CovOps ships are basically the Blood Raider and Angels version of the Astero.

Balancing them is a given, but I don't generally have a problem with them being odd outliers when it comes to the things they can do -- they're Pirate (and Navy) ships, they're supposed to break the rules and do unusual things. It would be insanely cool to be able to fly (balanced) Imps and Malices and Chremoas in places other than SiSi.

the ships are crazy OP, that's why they're cool

the cambion is so obscenely powerful that it's stupid; current buying one would probably set you back 120bil, at least

having godmode subcaps available to the average player (even if they cost 2-3bil isk each) would be terrible; these would end up making it even harder for new players to break into pvp

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i still think they should make new t1 destroyers with ewar drone and defender missile bonuses to make them used for at least one thing, maybe

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Landsknecht posted:

the ships are crazy OP, that's why they're cool

the cambion is so obscenely powerful that it's stupid; current buying one would probably set you back 120bil, at least

having godmode subcaps available to the average player (even if they cost 2-3bil isk each) would be terrible; these would end up making it even harder for new players to break into pvp

kekek we already have the orthrus for much less and the svipul for evevevveen less madkek

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

kekek we already have the orthrus for much less and the svipul for evevevveen less madkek

there are decent counters to both of those, and while unbalanced (which is also to do with the current meta) they aren't stupidly OP

AT ships are stupidly OP; if you're bros with anyone who has one, ask to take it out on sisi

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Well, I'd say that you can go out and fly balanced versions of the Malice and Imp right now on TQ - just buy a succubus or cruor and knock yourself out. You can't really fly a balanced Chremoas, but that's largely because the combination of a covops cloak with a turbocharged dramiel is kind of inherently unbalanceable. Similarly, while there's no ship like the Whiptail, the whiptail's existence doesn't somehow prevent CCP from making a drone-focused interceptor if they wanted to. In fact, they've not been shy about stepping on older AT ships' toes - the new Muninn is basically a better Mimir, and the Phobos now occupies a very similar space to the Adrestia, albeit with lesser capabilities.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Landsknecht posted:

there are decent counters to both of those, and while unbalanced (which is also to do with the current meta) they aren't stupidly OP

AT ships are stupidly OP; if you're bros with anyone who has one, ask to take it out on sisi

I know, I'm just posting like a retard. I still think the Svipul is stupid, Orthrus is fine. Sure it's speedy but it's dps isn't great.

It's all about the battleships now for me. Been so long since I genuinely flew a battleship that I'm amazed at the options. Dual prop + mjd + cap injector + tracking computer + point? LOOK AT ALL MY SLOTS. Been bombing it up in a nightmare lately and it's great fun. I used to get scared when the little poo poo tackled me, now I just laugh cause 2x neuts, tracking bonus on the hull, tracking script on the computer, enough cap + boosters to tank for days and an mjd to really say "gently caress you" to them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
My 1.8 second align time taxi interceptor was tackled by a svipul.

How little align time was I supposed to have?

[Ares, Ares]
Expanded Cargohold II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II

Thermal Dissipation Amplifier I
EM Ward Amplifier I
Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Zephyrine posted:

[Ares, Ares]
Expanded Cargohold II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II

EM Ward Amplifier I

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Best strategy to avoid being tackled is to just abandon your ship and use the align time of your capsule to escape. Good luck in your fight against cancer though.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

I know, I'm just posting like a retard. I still think the Svipul is stupid, Orthrus is fine. Sure it's speedy but it's dps isn't great.

It's all about the battleships now for me. Been so long since I genuinely flew a battleship that I'm amazed at the options. Dual prop + mjd + cap injector + tracking computer + point? LOOK AT ALL MY SLOTS. Been bombing it up in a nightmare lately and it's great fun. I used to get scared when the little poo poo tackled me, now I just laugh cause 2x neuts, tracking bonus on the hull, tracking script on the computer, enough cap + boosters to tank for days and an mjd to really say "gently caress you" to them.

battleships are loving cool, especially the faction versions which get so many utility slots

nightmares, machariels, vindicators, and barghests all have so many options and are a lot of fun; i really should buy a barghest

Zephyrine posted:

[Ares, Ares]
Expanded Cargohold II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II

EM Ward Amplifier I

[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

you can RSB a svipul (in sharpshooter) to get it to a <1s locktime, so it comes down to ping/server speed

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
Want to know why I went for a nightmare first? Cause it's half the loving price of the barghest #poor

Zephyrine posted:

Svipuls can get .7s locktime on a frigate BEFORE remote sebo's. If he has a low ping you're gonna need less than 1.7s align.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

MorsAnima posted:

Want to know why I went for a nightmare first? Cause it's half the loving price of the barghest #poor

Svipuls can get .7s locktime on a frigate BEFORE remote sebo's. If he has a low ping you're gonna need less than 1.7s align.

There goes my warp rigs :argh:

• Locked thread