Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

It was pretty awesome how hard Booker tried to have a "moment" last night only to be completely overshadowed by Michelle Obama and the rest of the speakers.

Yeah, he was really trying to sell the "WE WILL RISE" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mcmagic posted:

It was pretty awesome how hard Booker tried to have a "moment" last night only to be completely overshadowed by Michelle Obama and the rest of the speakers.

i do not think anyone thinks he was overshadowed. it was 3 great speeches in one night, each for different reasons. Dude got everyone pumped up for Michelle and helped defang the berniebros through sheer energy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hillary will never be popular enough to win primary

*wins primary*

Hillary will never be popular enough to win the election

*wins election*

Hillary will never be popular enough to win re-election

*re-elected*

Hillary will never be popular enough to be fondly remembered

*statue is built*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*wins primary*

*wins election*

*re-elected*

*statue is built*

You should be much more worried about the 2018 bloodbath if she wins than her re-election.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

I can't wait until the narrative turns into "well HRC won in 2020 but she'll be so unpopular in 2024 that [Generic Republican] will coast to victory!"
Yeah it's really unreasonable to assume a candidate with record breaking negatives and is from the party that's already been in power the past eight years with will only serve one term.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*wins primary*

*wins election*

*re-elected*

*statue is built*

The only reason Hillary won the primary is because she didn't face legitimate opposition from another establishment candidate, and likely the only reason she'll win the election is because she is running against Trump.

Keep lickin' those boots, though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gio posted:

Yeah it's really unreasonable to assume a candidate with record breaking negatives and is from the party that's already been in power the past eight years with will only serve one term.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that democrats will be winning presidential elections for the foreseeable future just based on demographics.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gio posted:

Tell us more prophet of doom

Gio posted:

They are salty from stomping on the haters

so delicious

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Your weird hate boner for Booker is strange. Is he truly an enemy of Rutgers athletics?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Your weird hate boner for Booker is strange. Is he truly an enemy of Rutgers athletics?

What's weird about it? He's an overrated fraud who's governing record as Mayor is terrible as senator is non existent and who's only real accomplishment is careerism and having a lot of twitter followers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Missed last night due to work, anything interesting happen?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

What's weird about it? He's an overrated fraud who's governing record as Mayor is terrible as senator is non existent and who's only real accomplishment is careerism and having a lot of twitter followers.

:salt:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gio posted:

The only reason Hillary won the primary is because she didn't face legitimate opposition from another establishment candidate, and likely the only reason she'll win the election is because she is running against Trump.

if Kasich is your only definition of legitimate then I have some bad news buddy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Cory Booker, Michelle Obama, and Bernie tore the house down, Elizabeth Warren savaged trump, they lsot the gavel twice, and some bernie idiots kept booing and being morons.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Philly Guido, Tiny Angry Accountant, GOATUS FLOATUS, Bernie saves the party, Silverman dunks the on the haters, young white men are trash

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that democrats will be winning presidential elections for the foreseeable future just based on demographics.
Yeah the map is in their favor but that doesn't mean HRC being a one-term president is some outlandish, impossible thing to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You sure showed me with that emoji!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

he p much did tho

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

That's an emoticon, not an emoji.

God!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gio posted:

Yeah the map is in their favor but that doesn't mean HRC being a one-term president is some outlandish, impossible thing to happen.

yes, but it is outlandish to consider it assured four years out which is what you are doing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gio posted:

Hmm, backtracking to "just asking questions".

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

if Kasich is your only definition of legitimate then I have some bad news buddy

In the Democratic primary. The only establishment candidate she beat was O'Malley. I wouldn't have been shocked if she won even if she had more opposition than what she did, but she has had a very easy go of things so far.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Cory Booker, Michelle Obama, and Bernie tore the house down, Elizabeth Warren savaged trump, they lsot the gavel twice, and some bernie idiots kept booing and being morons.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Thanks for the summary, anything in particular that is worth watching?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's an emoticon, not an emoji.

God!

Do you have an actual counterpoint on Booker or would you rather post emoticons or say the same dumb line from 5 years ago about about Rutgers?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I sat down and got caught up with all of the big speeches from Monday:

* Michelle Obama's speech was powerful - her voice get very emotional at times and I could feel myself tearing up.
* People chanting "we trusted you" during Elizabeth Warren's speech were just awful. I like her on the attack, so savage.
* Cory Booker's "we did that" sounded like a fantastic positive spin on Barack Obama's "you didn't build that", combined with dunking on "rugged individualism" as being not nearly enough
* Bernie Sanders' hand-off to Clinton was cathartic

I love how positive the whole night was, and how often the word "love" was used. Even when they were bagging on Donald Trump, it never felt toxic like when I was watching Ted Cruz's speech last week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gio posted:

In the Democratic primary. The only establishment candidate she beat was O'Malley. I wouldn't have been shocked if she won even if she had more opposition than what she did, but she has had a very easy go of things so far.

Presumably the same thing extends to the GOP though (Trump isn't a "legitimate" candidate)

even just considering the Dems though, why do you think the establishment candidates didn't run? Because Hillary did run.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

Hmm, backtracking to "just asking questions".
Typically, questions end in question marks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gio posted:

literally what the gently caress is your point

"she didn't have any meaningful competition but it would not have mattered if she did but she didn't and this is important because..."

also lol calling her fight with Sanders a "very easy go" of things.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gio posted:

Typically, questions end in question marks.

And typically "There is absolutely no way she wins in 2020" means that you're stating a certainty.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

We're not there yet, and the Republicans only need to pick off about 20%-25% of the minority vote to get to a majority. All they have to do is shut up about how much they hate minorities for a while to get to that fairly easy target, even though it's difficult to see them doing that any time soon. But it's not an impossible change for them to find something else to focus their ire on in the next ten years or so.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

We're not there yet, and the Republicans only need to pick off about 20%-25% of the minority vote to get to a majority. All they have to do is shut up about how much they hate minorities for a while to get to that fairly easy target, even though it's difficult to see them doing that any time soon. But it's not an impossible change for them to find something else to focus their ire on in the next ten years or so.

The issue is that minority antipathy to the Republicans is generations deep. A few policy concessions is not going reverse that. Plus, white supremacy is so intrinsic to the GOP platform that any concession towards attracting minorities is just going to cause more internal strife.

To get a significant minority appeal will either take a generation or actively putting forward a radical policy shift like the VRA was for democrats in the 60s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

We're not there yet, and the Republicans only need to pick off about 20%-25% of the minority vote to get to a majority.

While maintaining their racist base.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

In 2020 it's going to be 30% and probably 32% in 2024 and so on. It's not getting easier for them. And Trump's loss isn't going to make them rethink anything because the congressional party is only getting smaller more conservative after this election.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

Presumably the same thing extends to the GOP though (Trump isn't a "legitimate" candidate)

even just considering the Dems though, why do you think the establishment candidates didn't run? Because Hillary did run.
I think others didn't run for a myriad of reasons, the least of which being "I don't stand a chance against Hillary!"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

literally what the gently caress is your point

"she didn't have any meaningful competition but it would not have mattered if she did but she didn't and this is important because..."

also lol calling her fight with Sanders a "very easy go" of things.
You were flailing your arms mocking people who think HRC is a lovely candidate ("She'll never get elected! *gets elected*" etc.), so I provided a counterpoint: Hillary is a lovely candidate that's being gifted the nomination by the DNC.

And lol, yeah it's been really hard running against a fringe candidate and a literal white supremacist. The fact that she's dead even in the polls with him is a testament to her strength as a candidate!!!

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 26, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gio posted:

I think others didn't run for a myriad of reasons

name them

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gio posted:

It is a certainty.

citation needed

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gio posted:

It is a certainty.

Oh so now you're backtracking on:

Gio posted:

Because this statement makes it sound like you're just saying the possibility is something worth considering.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

With old whites dying, the GOP will change by default. The GOP in 8 years might look very different than now, even if they drag people kicking and screaming. There will also be a sizable number of younger voters who barely remember the Bush years and there will be a push for the GOP to get in power to "try something new" or whatever, especially if there is some economic issues in the next decade. Say there is another financial crisis, or the saudis go on another adventure and yemen but it kicks of a regional conflict, etc.

The dem strategy should be to use this time of demographic superiority to reverse the trend of GOP control of congress and the courts and to be set up to work with a GOP president after hillary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Oh, he's not wrong on this point. There's plenty of Dems who would have ran if Hillary hadn't.

He's not right about 2020, though. Predicting the election now is absolutely folly. She will start with incumbency as an advantage, and also a demographic advantage -- assuming Republicans don't magically stop being crazy as poo poo.

• Locked thread