Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There already was one

Yeah but I thought it was before the email leaks that everyone is freaking out about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Radish posted:

Yeah but I thought it was before the email leaks that everyone is freaking out about.

Fair enough, I imagine after last night it will probably be even higher than 90% anyways.

Last night was excellent political theater for defusing BernieBros

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks for the summary, anything in particular that is worth watching?

LA times put together a good summary video of events:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-watch-day-one-democratic-national-convention-less-than-3-minutes-20160726-premiumvideo.html

There were a lot of amazing speakers - the bernouts ruined things for like part of the first half but then momentum started building from all the amazing people with amazing stories coming out on stage. Overall it was really impressive - some arguably historic speeches were made. Michelle Obama's speech is a must-see.

For me personally though, my favorite speech was this one - made me tear up, because of what it meant personally to the speaker to be included there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqWpj9Sqfk

I also liked the Union guys. They really stuck it to trump.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 26, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough, I imagine after last night it will probably be even higher than 90% anyways.

Last night was excellent political theater for defusing BernieBros

Bernie Bros aren't a thing. It's a few loud idiots.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Because the Democratic party are demonstrably corrupt, they spend an entire night lying to you, and that your takeaway from it were "these speeches were incredible!" While Sarah Silverman literally laughed in the face of the Bernie Sanders supporters and Sanders conceded to the very enemy he had campaigned so effectively against in the primaries.

She laughed in the face of 'bernie or bust', not sanders supporters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If anyone wants direct links to the big speeches, here they are.

Elizabeth Warren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEl4j4GxXj4

Michelle Obama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PdNWC1Cl4

Bernie Sanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0tVD87cZew

If anyone has a link to Cory Booker's, could you post it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

bernie bros aren't a thing except for those guys who acted like assholes by pure coincidence whenever a minority was talking

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mcmagic posted:

Christ how many loving times is this going to come up and everyone has to bend over backwards to come up with a meandering phrases not to hurt the delicate feelings of Bernie supporters upset about jokes about some of their own making them look real bad

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm fairly sure there is a large overlap between this year's Bernouts and the last few elections' Ron Paul boosters.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mcmagic you're a jets fan

BernieBros are "those" pats fans

I am tired of having to use this metaphor

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Corey Booker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rwgGCrgd_s

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Boxer is speaking tonight, the Bernie or bust people are going to lose their poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Christ how many loving times is this going to come up and everyone has to bend over backwards to come up with a meandering phrases not to hurt the delicate feelings of Bernie supporters upset about jokes about some of their own making them look real bad

welcome to every thread in YCS.

"It was hosed up sanders supporters did a thing we have objective record of"

"SO WHAT EVERY SANDERS SUPPORTER IS A 'BERNIEBRO' NOW DID YOU KNOW THAT DOESN'T EXIST AND IS A LIE MADE UP AND THIS POLL (of mainly white women) SAYS WOMEN ACTUALLY LIKE BERNIE MORE SO YOU'RE THE REAL SEXIST"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

welcome to every thread in YCS.

"It was hosed up sanders supporters did a thing we have objective record of"

"SO WHAT EVERY SANDERS SUPPORTER IS A 'BERNIEBRO' NOW DID YOU KNOW THAT DOESN'T EXIST AND IS A LIE MADE UP AND THIS POLL (of mainly white women) SAYS WOMEN ACTUALLY LIKE BERNIE MORE SO YOU'RE THE REAL SEXIST"

Reason I don't go in there

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

bernie bros aren't a thing except for those guys who acted like assholes by pure coincidence whenever a minority was talking

Or angry white people sitting as the first WoC first lady gives her best speech to date.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they're also recycling trumpie slogans against Hillary.

Edit: removed tweet embed because that's one tall image. Link here

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 26, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Or angry white people sitting as the first WoC first lady gives her best speech to date:

https://twitter.com/AlexNBCNews/status/757761569501638661

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they're also recycling trumpie slogans against Hillary.

Must be nice to be ignorant enough to think this counts as being principled

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

I'm fairly sure there is a large overlap between this year's Bernouts and the last few elections' Ron Paul boosters.

Yeah, my mom's one of those. :sigh:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it could be called principled for a bad and dumb set of principles

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BernieBros are "those" pats fans

I am tired of having to use this metaphor

There are WAY more pats fans at 1 game than there are "Bernie Bros".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this has to be some sort of disqualifying factor in debates

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Really? There was like 3 people yelling and they booed Warren and Sanders too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spacedad posted:

For me personally though, my favorite speech was this one - made me tear up, because of what it meant personally to the speaker to be included there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqWpj9Sqfk

I also liked the Union guys. They really stuck it to trump.

This is goddamn beautiful.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Axeface posted:

The lesson I think we can draw from Bernie's endorsement is that, on the level you and I are talking about, Bernie's place in the presidential race hasn't mattered since early June. We lost that one a while ago--although I'll take the concessions Clinton has made since, however dubious, as a slight consolation prize. To me, the focus on that front has to shift to state and local elections, and direct issue advocacy. For the record, I think Bernie's decision to endorse was the correct one, and come November I'm going to vote for Hillary. Sometimes, in context, the best move to support progressive causes is just mitigating the damage done to them. I think The Trump Candidacy is a legitimate threat, and in the absence of a viable alternative, and putting aside any accelerationist arguments, having all hands on deck to prevent it isn't a bad thing by a long shot.

I still I agree with much of what you want, and I think I get what you're saying. But I still don't see the decision to endorse as being right. I think it's leading people down the line of thought you're saying, about voting strategically for Clinton against Trump, which to me seems (no offense) small minded. Let's take a step back from these strategic consideration and look at whats happening here. Western nations that have even their poorest citizens falling somewhere in the global middle class are feeling the crunch of globalism and neo liberalism. Lower and middle class people are getting fed up with the lines being fed to them from the elite about how this is ultimately going to be a good thing, as wages shrink, and large portions of the worst off are being treated as if they are unwanted by society (by the police, by austerity, etc). People are beginning to send a message that they are through with it, and its time for a change. Look at Brexit, the fact that Trump has gotten this far, and all the people turning to extremism. This is a time for previously 'radical' notions to make a resurgence. This is a fantastic opportunity for the left, and for progressives in America. But unfortunately, it seems the conclusion of this progressive movement, is to fall in line behind the democratic party in the US, and to support their mainstream candidate, Clinton. Clinton is the perfect example of what people in America and the West in general are beginning to say loudly and clearly that they do not want, and in fact shes a perfect example of what progressives don't want. It would seem this progressive movement has been successfully swindled and misdirected by the power brokers in the Democratic party. This all seems to be going over people's heads. Progressives are throwing away a crucial opportunity, and getting nothing in return. They're doing this in the name of defeating Trump supposedly, forgetting that their candidate polled consistently better against Trump during the primary, and in spite of all the recent events. I think its a total disaster.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Really? There was like 3 people yelling and they booed Warren and Sanders too.

Watch Eli Cummings' speech

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dog Jones posted:

Clinton is the perfect example of what people in America and the West in general are beginning to say loudly and clearly that they do not want, and in fact shes a perfect example of what progressives don't want.

Except that whole winning the primary thing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Watch Eli Cummings' speech

I saw it. I was just responding to the dumb suggestion that this had something to do with race.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

emdash posted:

it could be called principled for a bad and dumb set of principles

I'm not sure why people confuse being 'principled' and 'stubborn' so much. This happens with both the extreme right and the extreme left. There's nothing 'principled' about being belligerently obtuse.

Being principled means you have some core values that guide you, but it doesn't mean you aren't flexible and intelligent about it.

Bernie is principled. That's why he's backing Hillary and continuing the fight.

The worst of his diehard supporters are just throwing a stubborn tantrum that not even he asked for, and are a mortifying embarrassment to his other fans.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dog Jones posted:

I still I agree with much of what you want, and I think I get what you're saying. But I still don't see the decision to endorse as being right. I think it's leading people down the line of thought you're saying, about voting strategically for Clinton against Trump, which to me seems (no offense) small minded. Let's take a step back from these strategic consideration and look at whats happening here. Western nations that have even their poorest citizens falling somewhere in the global middle class are feeling the crunch of globalism and neo liberalism. Lower and middle class people are getting fed up with the lines being fed to them from the elite about how this is ultimately going to be a good thing, as wages shrink, and large portions of the worst off are being treated as if they are unwanted by society (by the police, by austerity, etc). People are beginning to send a message that they are through with it, and its time for a change. Look at Brexit, the fact that Trump has gotten this far, and all the people turning to extremism. This is a time for previously 'radical' notions to make a resurgence. This is a fantastic opportunity for the left, and for progressives in America. But unfortunately, it seems the conclusion of this progressive movement, is to fall in line behind the democratic party in the US, and to support their mainstream candidate, Clinton. Clinton is the perfect example of what people in America and the West in general are beginning to say loudly and clearly that they do not want, and in fact shes a perfect example of what progressives don't want. It would seem this progressive movement has been successfully swindled and misdirected by the power brokers in the Democratic party. This all seems to be going over people's heads. Progressives are throwing away a crucial opportunity, and getting nothing in return. They're doing this in the name of defeating Trump supposedly, forgetting that their candidate polled consistently better against Trump during the primary, and in spite of all the recent events. I think its a total disaster.

The progressives soundly lost a democratic primary and the winning coalition has given the progressives an unprecedented place at the table and let them essentially write the party platform going forward. Its madness to think this is not a win for progressivism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spacedad posted:

Bernie is principled. That's why he's backing Hillary and continuing the fight.

I've gained a ton of respect for him. He's really a good guy.

This is also a really important distinction to get across.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dog Jones posted:

That's the same argument folks on the far left have been making for decades now - that all things have to do is just get a little bit worse, and then we'll have our glorious progressive revolution. Problem is, it never works out that way. Hell, we went through eight horrible years of George W. Bush, with one disastrous decision after another, culminating in the economy completely making GBS threads the bed, and all we ended up with was a even deeper hole for the next president to dig us out of. And Trump has the potential to be exponentially worse than that.

I'm a progressive myself, but I cannot in good conscience allow terrible things to potentially happen to millions of Americans under a Trump presidency on the incredibly tiny off chance that maybe there might be a revolution at some undefined point in the future.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dog Jones posted:

Did you even read the DNC platform, or Hilary's platform, or listen to anything that happened yesterday?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

That's the same argument folks on the far left have been making for decades now - that all things have to do is just get a little bit worse, and then we'll have our glorious progressive revolution. Problem is, it never works out that way. Hell, we went through eight horrible years of George W. Bush, with one disastrous decision after another, culminating in the economy completely making GBS threads the bed, and all we ended up with was a even deeper hole for the next president to dig us out of. And Trump has the potential to be exponentially worse than that.

I'm a progressive myself, but I cannot in good conscience allow terrible things to potentially happen to millions of Americans under a Trump presidency on the incredibly tiny off chance that maybe there might be a revolution at some undefined point in the future.

I don't think there is any way that a Trump administration could have the unique combination of incompetence and evil of the 8 George W Bush years. If we didn't get "the revolution" after that, we aren't getting it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Night10194 posted:

I've gained a ton of respect for him. He's really a good guy.

This is also a really important distinction to get across.

Yeah - even when you don't get what you want, you have to deal with it and keep on fighting. At least 90% of his supporters are grown-up enough to know this.

What I love though is that the democratic party in the end wound up embracing him and what he represented even though he didn't win. He almost as good as won.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 26, 2016

internetman
Feb 27, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Except that whole winning the primary thing

....with the backing of the people holding the primary. She has 38% approval rating. The dirtier she gets the more ammo trump has.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

I saw it. I was just responding to the dumb suggestion that this had something to do with race.

It has as little to do with race as criticising school busing plans as "social experiments" does.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

genericangst posted:

My uncle is REALLY MAD that they didn't mention ISIS during the first night of the convention. I'm not sure what that would have accomplished, but he told me that they're cowards because they didn't invoke the magical words "radical Islamic terrorism."
If he really cares, then he wasn't going to vote for Clinton anyway. Why even bother discussing it with him?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Dog Jones posted:

Mix in some paragraph breaks, god drat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

internetman posted:

The dirtier she gets the more ammo trump has.

hahaha ok sure

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

internetman posted:

....with the backing of the people holding the primary. She has 38% approval rating. The dirtier she gets the more ammo trump has.

Please outline exactly how the establishment backing the establishment candidate is "dirty." :psyduck:

I swear to god this election is like a referendum on what 20+ years of a right wing noise machine is capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dog Jones posted:

• Locked thread