Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sound advice for any legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

What are the other 'worst units' of 30k? The admech siege robot with a single S10 Ap2 laser shot comes to mind.

Rampagers

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

Lookin ace!

panascope posted:

I really loving love the weathering on this.

Cheers lads.

I made the mistake of digging around Dakka for 30K stuff and one of the first things I saw was a guy asking for advice on running a list with two Rites of War.

quote:

So, quite the unconventional list but I have faith in it.

RoW's: Armoured Breakthrough / Hammer of Olympia

=====HQ=====
-Sicaran Command Tank (195)
---Lascannons, Armoured Ceramite
-Praetor (190)
---Cataphractii, Warsmith/Servo-arm, Paragon blade
-Praetor (130)
---AA, Refractor Field, Volkite Serpenta, Power Sword
=====Troops=====
-Pred Squad (2) (240)
---Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Shrapnel Bolts, PotMS
-Pred Squad (2) (240)
-Pred Squad (2) (240)
=====Elite=====
-Sicaran (175)
---Lascannons
-Sicaran (175)
---Lascannons
=====Heavy Support=====
-Iron Havocs (10) (360)
---Missile Launchers
-Heavy Support Squad (10) (235)
---Heavy Bolters, Shrapnel bolts
-Artillery Squadron (465)
---3x Medusas
-Spartan Tank (355)
---Flare Shield, Ceramite, Pintle Heavy Bolter, Laser Destroyers, Shrapnel bolts

So I think I meet the requirements for both RoW?

How would this list do?

:cripes:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
God drat. He could at least have had the decency to ride the ironfire.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
At least he took two Praetors. Dude was trying to keep things honest!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Praetor 2: Electric Istvaanoo.

Also someone tell me if the crystal is retarded.

If it's not then I need to cast the stupid part a few dozen times and I'm not looking forward to it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Also someone tell me if the crystal is retarded.

If it's not then I need to cast the stupid part a few dozen times and I'm not looking forward to it.
Looks good.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So that's why crystals are tech-heresy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wrap some chains around it to make it look less wizardy and more witchy. If that makes any sense.

Charge up as needed

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I wonder what Ordo handles the charging of Castellax crystals

Ordo Jerkoffii

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Also don't cast it, you should be able to carve them out of sprue.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Makes me think of the arcane protectors from WoW.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Makes me think of the arcane protectors from WoW.

Yes.

I did think of sprue pieces but the crystal bit is fairly big; any thinner and it'd look odd on the chunky castellax.

Guess I'll have to see if I can find something to dress it up, like the proposed chain.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I know some ebay dudes sell tiny men jo crystals. Check those out before you cast your own.

Wrapping it in chain gives would give it that daemon engine look. Or you could do something like this:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

What are the other 'worst units' of 30k? The admech siege robot with a single S10 Ap2 laser shot comes to mind.

Breachers, Sons of Horus Reavers with the new changes to Vets, the Thunderhawk Transporter.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh drat, the Thunderhawk Transporter. How could I forget the most useless unit in the book.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The upgrade to vets kinda ended up making a lot of unique units look silly, huh?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can't even wrap my head around using vets in close combat, even if I want to. The sniper bolters are just too good and only got better. Not a great move on FWs part, there.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Does sniper make them Heavy?

I'm probably going to expand my demonic allies to have a fully fledged 2k Khorne force. How much would people rage against a double Bloodthirster list?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Point drop and combi-weapons and unified outflank + sniper for the whole squad was an extremely weird move that shits all over multiple unique units' roles or snowflake abilities.

I am so looking forward to Thousand Sons getting psychic outflanking sniper combi-weapon prescient veteran tacticals in rhinos with pintle meltas.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm probably going to expand my demonic allies to have a fully fledged 2k Khorne force. How much would people rage against a double Bloodthirster list?

Sniper does not make them heavy though to be fair weapons with sniper rule usually have heavy rule as well.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 26, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

Personally, not much at all in 2k points, considering your opponent could plausibly get a primarch or a superheavy or something in there to square off against it. Hell, the 10 Dark Angels with acid heavy bolters would mulch the hell out of them pretty quick.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm still boggling at sniper AND outflank. Sniper is so loving unbelievably good on so many things. Means plasma works on Vulkan ffs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Funny how they overcorrected the vets and totally ignored destroyers and raised the cost of breachers. They should have kept them at 15 points and didn't give them a combi-weapon option. The points drop is good otherwise. Better balance for their new veteran rules would nice too. Right now there are some big winners alongside some duds.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Lord Twisted posted:

No. Sniper is just a special rule you tack onto your assault 3 heavy bolters..

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

They should have kept them at 15 points and didn't give them a combi-weapon option.

Why do you hate stasis grenades :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Why do you hate stasis grenades :smith:
Why does FW hate stasis grenades? :smith:

I've been tinkering with a couple of ideas to convert sergeants with combi-grenade launchers since those don't exist outside of overpriced terminator weapon kits and they're the only way to use stasis grenades since Forge World forgot grenade launchers don't exist in the legion list outside of them. Anyways, I'm going to end up with spare grenade harnesses from my cataphractii so I've cut off the launchin' bits to find a spot for them. The plastic tactical set comes with a backpack meant for the missile launcher and one of its exhaust vents is missing so it fits in properly. One idea is to attach one launchin' bit there for a cool backpack-mounted one-shot stasis whatsit. The other option is to figure out some way to mount it on a bolter, preferably under-slung.

Lazy option: Just give dudes one really fancy grenade somewhere and say that's it. They just throw the loving thing.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 27, 2016

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Safety Factor posted:

I've been tinkering with a couple of ideas to convert sergeants with combi-grenade launchers since those don't exist outside of overpriced terminator weapon kits and they're the only way to use stasis grenades since Forge World forgot grenade launchers don't exist in the legion list outside of them. Anyways, I'm going to end up with spare grenade harnesses from my cataphractii so I've cut off the launchin' bits to find a spot for them. The plastic tactical set comes with a backpack meant for the missile launcher and one of its exhaust vents is missing so it fits in properly. One idea is to attach one launchin' bit there for a cool backpack-mounted one-shot stasis whatsit. The other option is to figure out some way to mount it on a bolter, preferably under-slung.

Lazy option: Just give dudes one really fancy grenade somewhere and say that's it. They just throw the loving thing.

Anvil do resin underslung grenade launcher bits for making combi-GLs if that helps - http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Ammo/Grenade-Launchers-Short http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Ammo/Grenade-Launchers-Long - I use their reflex sights for my Seeker bolters.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get a unique legion unit that is specialized in grenades. In a few years.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Book finally came. Looks like Laser Destroyers are intended to be 36". They're crazy good as it is, so that's ok by me. Terminators have dedicated transport options and didn't loose them like some people had claimed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You mean for Rapiers or for the standard Laser Destroyers that you can equip on some vehicles?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahaha, Javlins have the lord of war icon even though they are fast attack. That's a really big editing error. Jesus FW.

Looks like every laser destroyer is now 36"

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This is some seriously incompetent work even by FW's lovely standard.

Book: Laser Destroyer & LD Array = 36"
iBook: LD 36", LDA 48"
eBook: LD 36", no LDA

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A reminder that Forge World only produce the highest quality miniatures and books and we should all be thankful that they let us give them money.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Hahaha, Javlins have the lord of war icon even though they are fast attack. That's a really big editing error. Jesus FW.

Looks like every laser destroyer is now 36"

I knew the javelin buff had to come with some kind of downside.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Javlin misprint is so bad. It's a giant thumbnail image that somehow slipped by their legendary editing process.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I played a 1250 game of 30k last night with my fledgling Dark Angels army and loving schooled a barbarous horde of 70+ Raven Guard. We called it after my third turn because I hadn't lost a single model and my opponent was down like 40. It was real bad. At one point I even pulled off a full 80-shot FURY OF THE LEGION after his 20 assault marines failed a 7" charge. I'm not going to go into detail, but, basically, my dice were poo poo-hot and I couldn't fail armor saves or miss. I never even got to use my legion's sweet and not at all lame sword bonus.

Here's the list I ran:

quote:

Dork Angles – 1250 (No Rite of War)
HQ
Centurion (Chaplain) – 110
Artificer armor, refractor field, calibanite warblade (for free), and melta bombs

Troops
Tactical Squad (20) – 305
Knives Swords
Sergeant has artificer armor, a calibanite warblade, melta bombs, and a combi-grenade launcher with a stasis grenade

Tactical Squad (10) – 200
Knives Swords
Sergeant has artificer armor and a calibanite warblade
Rhino

Elites
Apothecary – 60
Artificer armor and augury scanner

Contemptor-Mortis – 180
Dual kheres

Veteran Squad (10) – 265
Two suspensored heavy bolters with acid rounds
Sergeant has artificer armor and a calibanite warblade
Rhino

Heavy Support
Vindicator – 130
Demolisher cannon and mine plough (It also got shred from my chaplain rolling World Burner as his warlord trait)
I was aiming to try out a few specific units while fielding a relatively balanced force. Chaplain/apothecary blob, sniper veterans with acid bolters, and the dual kheres mortis. The vindicator was going to be a laser destroyer version, but since my friend built his sloppy list after looking at mine he let me switch it out for a demolisher cannon version. To his detriment. Obviously, it was one game and the dice were waaaaaaaaay in my favor, but I liked my list and I'm looking forward to getting more 30k in. I was really happy with the dual kheres mortis though I was a little underwhelmed by the veterans. That probably stems from a lack of high toughness targets though they did kill my opponent's warlord and the remnants of the blob he was hiding in in the one real shooting phase they got. I might try them as seekers next time to compare.

I was using some models from my 40k Dark Angels as stand-ins, but my army's slowly coming along. I have the basic infantry covered, but I need to pick up some veterans and tanks. It was great to see my completed models on the table though. I'm really happy with how they turned out and I'll get some pictures once I finish the final five of the first twenty-man blob. I went all in on checker patterns with these last guys and they're taking a bit longer. I'm a slow painter to begin with and was distracted for a couple of months too. Then I'll paint a contemptor (already in progress) and a chaplain before jumping into the next blob of twenty. Eventually.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Clearly, DA rules are the poo poo.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Can a vindicator get the world burner bonus...? Pretty sure it's template weapons only, a blast is not technically a template :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yes it can. 'Blast Template'

Speaking of blast templates and awful units. Lets talk about whirlwinds. When was the last edition where they weren't total garbage? 2nd?