Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Neurosis posted:

not going to watch until i know if the djinni having crazy gay sex with the taxi driver makes it in.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

But, what about the giant man eating vagina?

Pretty sure both these bits are going to be in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah they've both been cast, afaik.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

WarLocke posted:

I googled those books because I'm with this guy, 'Harry Dresden but a woman' was enough to sell me.

Someone please tell me all the stuff about her being mated to a beast god (presumably the lion on all the covers?) isn't as awful as it sounds?
I don't know what "bad" is for you, but the love interest is the local shapeshifter boss, and not some god or whatever.

Contrasting with Dresden, who has many love interests that last a few books before expiring, Kate has one love interest* who she finally hooks up with in book 4 and sticks with. He's a possessive and controlling rear end in a top hat, as is the Genre Standard, although I guess that she gives as well as she takes as far as the dynamics go. Also, there's generally a sex scene per book starting with book 4, but they're short enough and skippable.

It's still very much urban fantasy though, not paranormal romance. The plots are about the protagonist finding and killing monsters with her sword.

* Technically there's a second, but that one doesn't last very long before she ends up leading an armed posse to his door, long story.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I googled those books because I'm with this guy, 'Harry Dresden but a woman' was enough to sell me.

Someone please tell me all the stuff about her being mated to a beast god (presumably the lion on all the covers?) isn't as awful as it sounds?

Yeah, it's actually not squicky and awful. The whole "shapeshifter lover" thing is more about the politics than furry sex.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shab posted:

I don't understand the comparison. Anvil of Stars is much closer to Lord of the Flies or Ender's Game than what MockingQuantum is describing. If you're referring to the Brothers, all I would say is that while they are definitely alien, they are far from being treated as horrific, tonally.

Surely you mean the Mothers? The whole uncertainty of whether their mission is true or not, plus the warped rapist society they built, sense of despair due to the loss of Earth, meeting with the dead ship, the decision to genocide the other civilization... It just felt gut wrenching and ominous and horrific to me. It was also written by the same author so I thought the OP might like it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

neongrey posted:

The djinn is in the trailer even

Edit: the cast looks great too, I don't recognize shadow but Ian mcshane, Pablo schreiber, Peter stormare and crispin glover are all in it

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 24, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

neongrey posted:

excellent. i jest but in a book that was at times tedious that stuff gave some much needed colour.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

mcustic posted:

Surely you mean the Mothers? The whole uncertainty of whether their mission is true or not, plus the warped rapist society they built, sense of despair due to the loss of Earth, meeting with the dead ship, the decision to genocide the other civilization... It just felt gut wrenching and ominous and horrific to me. It was also written by the same author so I thought the OP might like it.

Fair point, I actually forgot about the Mothers, as their mysteriousness was sort of benignly aloof and didn't pull me in enough to really care about their backstory... which is for the best since very little was ultimately revealed about them anyway. I personally didn't get a sense of horror from Anvil of Stars but I can see how one might. To me the overriding feeling was the dread of making a moral decision with incomplete information.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm not that tall, and I never got the call.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
e: nevermind, I found something

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 24, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Shitshow posted:

MockingQuantum, it's not sci fi but Dan Simmons' "The Terror" checks all of the other boxes.

Hah, good to know, I just grabbed it from the library a couple of days ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was really hoping it'd be Vin Diesel but I love most of the folks they roped in.

Megazver posted:

Neil said if you can think of any bit you really liked in the books, it probably made it.
I notice a pronounced lack of cold white north.

p sure that was in the final montage

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I think the Cold White North bit is going to be season two.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I'm only on the first book, but Kate and the shapeshifter's relationship isn't making me reach for an insulin shot.

The world itself is pretty interesting. Unlike Dresden or Faust, it's not our world with magic off to the side--magic is everywhere, and the world has reacted to that in various ways. I'm enjoying the sense of exploration.

And Kate carries a sword called Slayer on her back, which I mean, really, what more do you need in a novel?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Just finished the first of the Engineer trilogy by KJ Parker. I'm a sucker for too clever protagonists.

On balance, I really enjoyed it.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
The Kate Daniels books are a lot of fun, and the "open magic" setting (as opposed to the Urban Fantasy default, where everything is like the World of Darkne--I mean, magic is hidden because of the Masquera--I mean nevermind) makes for cool worldbuilding. Yeah, the Anita Blake books did it first, but they never felt like Hamilton thought anything out beyond "our world, but there are hot vampire strip clubs." The Daniels books actually bring some neat ideas to the table.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

andrew smash posted:

The djinn is in the trailer even

Edit: the cast looks great too, I don't recognize shadow but Ian mcshane, Pablo schreiber, Peter stormare and crispin glover are all in it

Shadow is played by Ricky Whittle who's only real big thing in America was a side character on the show The 100.

I started reading The Ninefox Gambit and while I'm enjoying it, you can really tell it was a first novel. The author goes a little too far with bombarding you with their unique terms and while I'm not that far in I've already noticed that it could have probably used another pass from an editor. Two characters describe something exactly word for word the same which probably should have been written a little differently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I started reading The Ninefox Gambit and while I'm enjoying it, you can really tell it was a first novel. The author goes a little too far with bombarding you with their unique terms and while I'm not that far in I've already noticed that it could have probably used another pass from an editor.

*cough*tribadism*cough*

Yes, I know it's a real word, but it's not one I've ever seen used and it was all a bit Thomas Covenant.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Jedit posted:

*cough*tribadism*cough*

Yes, I know it's a real word, but it's not one I've ever seen used and it was all a bit Thomas Covenant.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant uses it all the time so it is now a thread-approved word (because TTBC is awesome)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

muscles like this? posted:

I started reading The Ninefox Gambit and while I'm enjoying it, you can really tell it was a first novel. The author goes a little too far with bombarding you with their unique terms and while I'm not that far in I've already noticed that it could have probably used another pass from an editor.

I guess that's a symptom of mostly having published short stories? That, and some of the tech being actually weird as gently caress.

Hopefully his editor does a better job on the sequel, Tenfox Gambit.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Well we know who hasn't been reading their Gene Wolfe, then. :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Amazon has Ninefox Gambit for like 7 bucks. Gonna read the hell out of here this week.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
It's a pretty solid book. The relationship between Jedao and Cheris is really interesting. Definitely looking forward to the sequel!

Speaking of that book, there was a really cool section from the perspective of an assassin. Are there any recommendable books focusing on an assassin character? Something kind of heisty like Locke Lamora?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

apophenium posted:

Are there any recommendable books focusing on an assassin character? Something kind of heisty like Locke Lamora?

Stephen Brust's Jhereg.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Finished up The Medusa Chronicles last night. Enjoyed the hell out of it. The first third is a bit slow as characters build their relationships to one another. Once everyone is anchored in place, the story begins in earnest twisting elements around in interesting directions.

It's not an overly heavy book to read; there's a strong emotional component to the plot, which breathes a bit more life into the narrative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

blackmongoose posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant uses it all the time so it is now a thread-approved word (because TTBC is awesome)

Honest opinion: I thought it was an error on General Battuta's part to use it. It's a very obscure word, but the fault was that before using it he'd already established that Baru's people engage in three-way marriages and that the evil empire considers this perverse. So when they talk of Baru as a suspected tribadist, a lot of people who didn't know the word (I admit, me included) would assume they were referring to the customs of her people not being trained out of her rather than to her being a lesbian. While I figured it out eventually, I felt the good General had tried to be a bit too clever for his own good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You're suggesting that he was too clever for using a word that meant what he had meant to say?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

Honest opinion: I thought it was an error on General Battuta's part to use it. It's a very obscure word, but the fault was that before using it he'd already established that Baru's people engage in three-way marriages and that the evil empire considers this perverse. So when they talk of Baru as a suspected tribadist, a lot of people who didn't know the word (I admit, me included) would assume they were referring to the customs of her people not being trained out of her rather than to her being a lesbian. While I figured it out eventually, I felt the good General had tried to be a bit too clever for his own good.

It's, uh, not that obscure a word. Git gud, etc.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Megazver posted:

It's, uh, not that obscure a word. Git gud, etc.
Come on, it absolutely is obscure, and it's kind of hilarious that you're trying to do literary dick measuring here. I am a pretty voracious reader and I hadn't ever seen it before Baru Cormorant. I also think the book's use of it made sense, since the empire had a bit of a different lexicon for many of its concepts, like the way 'hygiene' was used in a more moral sense.

Spell check doesn't recognize it, that's a pretty good measure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Even if you don't know the word, he usually pairs it with "sodomite" so you can infer the meaning. I know I did.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

dy. posted:

Come on, it absolutely is obscure, and it's kind of hilarious that you're trying to do literary dick measuring here. I am a pretty voracious reader and I hadn't ever seen it before Baru Cormorant. I also think the book's use of it made sense, since the empire had a bit of a different lexicon for many of its concepts, like the way 'hygiene' was used in a more moral sense.

Spell check doesn't recognize it, that's a pretty good measure.

It's not in the stock Kindle dictionary, either, but in the book it is almost always paired with sodomite("Sodomites fear the hot iron, but we do not envy tribadists the knife", etc) in such a way that it should be clear what they are talking about.

Edit: Looked it up in my Kindle. By page 20 it says "For the science of sanitary inheritance they had learned made it very clear what a horror it was to lie with another woman, and what punishment the tribadist would receive", so it makes it very clear what it is very early on.

Edit Edit: Max Gladstone's fifth Craft Sequence book is out today. Hooray.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think a very good lesson on writing fantasy is being taught here. In that be it a word that you made up or a word that's a little arcane, as long as you use it correctly people will get it, shrug and move on.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I both understood it and was annoyed by it. Go full Gene Wolfe or don't do poo poo like that.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Khizan posted:

It's not in the stock Kindle dictionary, either, but in the book it is almost always paired with sodomite("Sodomites fear the hot iron, but we do not envy tribadists the knife", etc) in such a way that it should be clear what they are talking about.

Edit: Looked it up in my Kindle. By page 20 it says "For the science of sanitary inheritance they had learned made it very clear what a horror it was to lie with another woman, and what punishment the tribadist would receive", so it makes it very clear what it is very early on.

Edit Edit: Max Gladstone's fifth Craft Sequence book is out today. Hooray.
Right, I agree that its use totally made sense in the book. I just thought it was a bit ridiculous to pretend like it wasn't an obscure word.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

And thus the goons turned on one of their own.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I could try to save the General's honour, but it would be throwing Yoon Ha Lee under the bus by making him a bigger target.

Dilemma. To post his custom My Little Pony Jedao, or not to post...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The cool thing about not knowing a word in 2016 is that you can still find dictionaries in antique stores if you look hard enough.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Someone spoil me - in a limited way - on Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. I'm just over halfway through a book that was sold to me as a pessimistic take on extrasolar colonization, and it seems clear that isn't what the book is about at all. I've read more than enough about balancing the resources of the ship and its failing systems on the voyage to Tau Ceti, and the politics of a generation ship - I have no interest at all in spending the rest of the novel reading about those same things, but in reverse, especially when the characters are paper-thin and seen from such a remote vantage that I really couldn't care less about any of them except Ship. So, would someone mind telling me whether they actually end up turning the ship around and heading back to Earth? Because if that's the case I'll put it down here and look for something else.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kestral posted:

Someone spoil me - in a limited way - on Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. I'm just over halfway through a book that was sold to me as a pessimistic take on extrasolar colonization, and it seems clear that isn't what the book is about at all. I've read more than enough about balancing the resources of the ship and its failing systems on the voyage to Tau Ceti, and the politics of a generation ship - I have no interest at all in spending the rest of the novel reading about those same things, but in reverse, especially when the characters are paper-thin and seen from such a remote vantage that I really couldn't care less about any of them except Ship. So, would someone mind telling me whether they actually end up turning the ship around and heading back to Earth? Because if that's the case I'll put it down here and look for something else.

Yes, but the ending is glorious and poignant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

The traitor in general felt like a book written by someone trying to be a little too clever. So in other words like a normal goon.
He will probably be better in next book, considering The traitor had clear "first book" vibes.