Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just test drove an ecoboost with a stick (still can't find a convertible with a stick and ecoboost unfortunately) and I'm in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ask me all about putting 6k into an Ecoboost. I guess to be fair 4k of that would have went into a GT also.

I quite enjoy my car though. S550 is a very good platform.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've had my GT for a couple weeks now and I still smile every time I sit in it. It's just a great car.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

GutBomb posted:

I just test drove an ecoboost with a stick (still can't find a convertible with a stick and ecoboost unfortunately) and I'm in love.

The 'vert is worth waiting for.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rolo posted:

I've had my GT for a couple weeks now and I still smile every time I sit in it. It's just a great car.
The smile just from sitting in it wears off.

The giant grin when you get to floor it does not. ;)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Before cleaning

After cleaning and they look brand new!!!!!!

dont mind the orange cable, thats my trickle charger.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You should maybe learn what hes doing since you've spent $180 so far on keeping your headlights clean.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
With the exception of whatever the clearcoat chemical they use, I have all the same stuff in the machine shop in the building I work at.
Using different grit sandpaper and those different level lens cleaning pads auto detail shops sell, I just cant match what the shop does.

I just accept that this is a job I cant do well and I let the pros do it for me.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Anybody with a 2015 - 2017 model, can you comment on whether the cloth seats on the base GT model seem decent? And I'm also interested in thoughts on the different stereo options. Is the base 6 speaker system "good enough" compared to the 9 speaker in the 400A, and the Shaker Pro in the 401A? I want decent sound, but I'm not sure I want to pay $4000 more just for leather and audio on the GT Premium. The way Ford bundles this poo poo, a GT Premium 401A is somewhere around $40k, which frankly seems like a lot for a Mustang, even if it's great. (I'm old so I remember when you could get a late-80s 5.0 LX model new for something like 12k.) It makes me sick that even if you special order a car now, you can't get the individual options the way you want. (I know it's not just Ford that does this.) It's the 21st century, and we have sophisticated things like computers and poo poo that should make it trivially easy for the auto manufacturers to manage and produce highly customizable orders. If they could do it in the 1960s they sure as poo poo can do it now.

P.S. on my 1991 Thunderbird, the 5.0 V8 was a $1085 option over the base V6. Why is a new V8 GT $7000 more than a comparable V6 or ecoboost model? Does it really cost that much more to make?

Rant over.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The cloth seats are fine and maybe even better depending on if you live somewhere hot. The seat coolers are nice but if the suns been beating on that leather all day forget about it.

As far as the audio goes, more speakers does not equal better in this case. I have the shaker pro and I've heard the base. The quality is not good either way. I ended up replacing all my speakers just to get something acceptable.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't run a high volume 4v oil pump on my 2v road race car? I've got a Canton pan and oil cooler, so I'm pretty sure that will make up for the extra volume.

When I took the old motor apart the bearings looked pretty worn. I was using a Melling 2v pump with billet gears. Oil pressure was ~10psi when hot coming off track, ~52 psi at 5500-5900 RPM. Idle pressure when cold was around 50. My thoughts were the pump is having problems supplying oil due to the oil cooler, but idk.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Number_6 posted:

Anybody with a 2015 - 2017 model, can you comment on whether the cloth seats on the base GT model seem decent? And I'm also interested in thoughts on the different stereo options. Is the base 6 speaker system "good enough" compared to the 9 speaker in the 400A, and the Shaker Pro in the 401A? I want decent sound, but I'm not sure I want to pay $4000 more just for leather and audio on the GT Premium. The way Ford bundles this poo poo, a GT Premium 401A is somewhere around $40k, which frankly seems like a lot for a Mustang, even if it's great. (I'm old so I remember when you could get a late-80s 5.0 LX model new for something like 12k.) It makes me sick that even if you special order a car now, you can't get the individual options the way you want. (I know it's not just Ford that does this.) It's the 21st century, and we have sophisticated things like computers and poo poo that should make it trivially easy for the auto manufacturers to manage and produce highly customizable orders. If they could do it in the 1960s they sure as poo poo can do it now.

P.S. on my 1991 Thunderbird, the 5.0 V8 was a $1085 option over the base V6. Why is a new V8 GT $7000 more than a comparable V6 or ecoboost model? Does it really cost that much more to make?

Rant over.

I got the cloth seats on my 16 because I think it's more comfortable in hot and cold, and because it's a two-tone sand color that looks really awesome to me. Love them.

I have what I'm assuming is the base stereo with the small tweeters on the pillars. It's better to me than the Dart I came from that had an upgraded stereo. It's not the Alpine system I had in my first Honda, but it's good enough that I won't be changing it anytime soon.

And yeah, the packages were a little unfortunate. The only thing I wanted added was the bigger screen inside, but I couldn't get it without adding a ton of stuff I really didn't want. Realistically, all I needed was voice command and USB music cataloging, which the base model does pretty well.

Now that I'm thinking of it, the biggest disappointment about this car that I've found is that you can't use the big TUNE knob to change songs. You have to use the physical buttons. It's useless if you aren't listening to FM, and who uses something other than SCAN? Dumb.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Number_6 posted:

Rant over.
The cloth seats didn't seem bad, but I love the sync3 system on my premium and the UI of the base stereo loving sucked when I was playing around with it. The cooled seats are great except for being kinda mediocre at actually cooling you off.

I think the price difference is mostly CAFE and profit maximization. The V8 isn't $7k extra to produce, they'd rather sell fewer GTs at a higher margin and push the wishy-washy buyers towards EBs.

Random thing I just noticed: You can build a GT/CS with the spare wheel/tire, but not an EB/PP. They have the exact same size wheel/tires (for size restrictions) and unlike the GT/PP they aren't even staggered. So WTF.

Just looking at what I would build if I were building today: 401A Cali Special in Lightning Blue/black roof, adaptive cruise, 3.55s. Stupid thing would cost almost $50k now. Wow. OTOH I'd be more likely to trade it towards and F150 or Raptor right now anyway.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 28, 2016

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Nice http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/28/ford-performance-power-pack-mustang-gt/

convert your GT to almost GT350 spec!

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

I'm interested in this, presumably you keep your warranty if you go through the dealership? The extra 40lb-ft down low is what really tempts me.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

ArthurDent posted:

I'm interested in this, presumably you keep your warranty if you go through the dealership? The extra 40lb-ft down low is what really tempts me.

NOPE! dealer warranties the car if its stock. If the dealer installs a part, that is its own separate warranty.

I had this fight with Ford before.
Buying Ford parts from a Ford dealer to be installed by Ford techs in your Ford car voids the warranty on that part.
meaning.....

If you buy a stock mustang it comes with 3yr/36000 mile warranty. If you remove en engine part to install a supercharger.
you have 2 separate warrantied things now

So if your car breaks down because an axle broke it will get fixed because the Franchise owner will get reimbursed from Fords HQ.
If your supercharger broke your engine thats an aftermarket part did that and there is no warranty on the engine.
The dealer will say that an aftermarket install broke the engine. You are on the hook for that. Then you get to have a really awesome fight that drags out forever.

If the supercharger breaks and the engine is ok you got to call ford racing and start the rma process with them. otherwise the dealer will do it for you and you will have to pay for everything
but then you have to do all the follow up with ford HQ to get a reimbursement which is a slow painful process. Why should ford pay for something that you already paid for? you are going to have
to prove and justify everything. its a pain in the rear end.

The Ford dealer is a franchise, they are just there to sell cars and fix cars and take your money.
They dont give a s*** about you and the franchise is not going to pay money out of their pockets to fix your car.

you are in it for the long haul with Ford main HQ. once they agree to pay then you can go to the dealer.
but the dealer is in no way going to help you fix your car and/or volunteer for free. They are not going to squeeze you in for a free repair when
there are other paying customers they can sell products too first.

my advice.... let the warranty slide and then start modding the crap out of your car.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 28, 2016

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Has ford offered dealer installed super chargers before?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

coolskillrex remix posted:

Yup. They've done it for years.

You can even include in your financing.

There's company in...Ohio? that was selling 'base' GTs with a Ford Racing supercharger (the 625hp kit) for somewhere around 38,000 not too long ago.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

coolskillrex remix posted:

You got to be really careful here, some dealers are mod friendly some are not.

If your a Ford dealer and you operate across the street from a racetrack or operate in an area of known high level enthusiasts or sponsor a local race events, then they may be a more mod friendly.
if you have a souped up mustang and your looking for help from a dealer that mostly sells trucks for farmland, then you are gonna be screwed.

The franchise decides if they want to install superchargers on stock cars and offer warranties and whatnot, most don't.
They don't want the headaches.

http://www.lebanonford.com/the-727-hp-mustang.htm this is one of the few dealers that do it.
They say both the warranties are good at any ford dealer ship but expect to have a fight.

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

kalvick posted:

NOPE! dealer warranties the car if its stock. If the dealer installs a part, that is its own separate warranty.

I had this fight with Ford before.
Buying Ford parts from a Ford dealer to be installed by Ford techs in your Ford car voids the warranty on that part.
meaning.....

If you buy a stock mustang it comes with 3yr/36000 mile warranty. If you remove en engine part to install a supercharger.
you have 2 separate warrantied things now

So if your car breaks down because an axle broke it will get fixed because the Franchise owner will get reimbursed from Fords HQ.
If your supercharger broke your engine thats an aftermarket part did that and there is no warranty on the engine.
The dealer will say that an aftermarket install broke the engine. You are on the hook for that. Then you get to have a really awesome fight that drags out forever.

If the supercharger breaks and the engine is ok you got to call ford racing and start the rma process with them. otherwise the dealer will do it for you and you will have to pay for everything
but then you have to do all the follow up with ford HQ to get a reimbursement which is a slow painful process. Why should ford pay for something that you already paid for? you are going to have
to prove and justify everything. its a pain in the rear end.

The Ford dealer is a franchise, they are just there to sell cars and fix cars and take your money.
They dont give a s*** about you and the franchise is not going to pay money out of their pockets to fix your car.

you are in it for the long haul with Ford main HQ. once they agree to pay then you can go to the dealer.
but the dealer is in no way going to help you fix your car and/or volunteer for free. They are not going to squeeze you in for a free repair when
there are other paying customers they can sell products too first.

my advice.... let the warranty slide and then start modding the crap out of your car.

Copied from Ford's Power Pack warranty details:

quote:

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and
components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline
and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for
warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Ford Performance and mountune parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance and mountune
parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly,
Ford Performance and mountune parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of
the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance or mountune performance pack or
component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.

So, you're right. If something were to happen, you would likely have to fight to get it fixed and it isn't worth the hassle. To be honest, I enjoy my car as it is... maybe that will change in a few years.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
It's always best to put a few thousand miles into a car before modding it anyway. This helps you not do pointless bullshit unless you like that sort of thing.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

ArthurDent posted:

Copied from Ford's Power Pack warranty details:

So, you're right. If something were to happen, you would likely have to fight to get it fixed and it isn't worth the hassle. To be honest, I enjoy my car as it is... maybe that will change in a few years.

You dont have to be afraid to customize your car dude. While your car is under warranty you can install a lowering kit, exhaust kits, sound systems, air filter kits, or whatever cosmetic mods you can dream of. 99.99% of Mustang fanatics will do this to the cars and dealers will expect to see cars with these mods. They are extremely common mods.
None of those things are going to break your warranty on the things you care about. That is the Engine, Transmission, and Drive train.

EDIT
Actually now that I think about it, I think newer stangs require computer modifications when you install airfilters, a bad software update could hose the engine with bad commands, but that is EXTREMELY RARE! Howerver whole car canned tunes are much more dangerous. I do not know what the current status of Bama tunes are nowadays anyways.... are they safe now?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Bama tunes tend to be safe now but are pretty bad in terms of what you can get from a tune. Dyno tunes from a pro tuner are always the best bet but there's some decent road tunes you can get these days also. Anything is better than an off the shelf canned tune.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Street parking comes at a price where I live.

Also I hate that dumb fake rear end hood scoop. Will leak water for 20 minutes when drying the car.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Trying to fight against the slow leak of water off the honeycomb inside that fake scoop is futile. Give up all hope.

In other news I was in line at chic fila the other day and a woman got out of her SUV, came over and knock on my window to tell me she loved my Bullitt and said it was super clean. Feels good man.

About to hit 150k miles on it!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Did she actually call it a bullitt?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
She did, she said she had a Forrest green one that wasn't in nearly as good of shape.

Every tiny chip and imperfection screams at me so I kinda thought she was crazy. But it was nice regardless.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Street parking comes at a price where I live.

Also I hate that dumb fake rear end hood scoop. Will leak water for 20 minutes when drying the car.

after you wash the car, lift the hood up so it all pools up. dry the rest of the car
then drop the hood it all oozes out at once.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dinurth posted:

She did, she said she had a Forrest green one that wasn't in nearly as good of shape.

Every tiny chip and imperfection screams at me so I kinda thought she was crazy. But it was nice regardless.
I notice you haven't posted any pictures in this thread. Work on that!

kalvick posted:

after you wash the car, lift the hood up so it all pools up. dry the rest of the car
then drop the hood it all oozes out at once.
That's a good tip, but I have enough towels that I can just leave one shoved in there.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Cage posted:

I notice you haven't posted any pictures in this thread. Work on that!

I have! Everyone yelled at me for my lovely worn out headlights.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Edit: oh yeah now I see them

That was me that made fun of your headlights. :whatup:

Now post the updated pictures!

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 5, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dinurth posted:

I have! Everyone yelled at me for my lovely worn out headlights.

Not only do I totally dig the headlights and wheels, I just noticed your license plate.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I only just now noticed your bullitt also has a side scoop delete, never saw that before. They should've went with a smooth hood too. And quarter window louvers!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I've tried compressed air to clean out the honeycomb. Haven't washed the car in a while though :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So is a strut tower brace on a new mustang worth more than just cosmetics? I went base on my GT manual so I could keep the 18" wheels that I'm into, but I'm looking at picking up some bits from the PP.

At the same time, anyone recommend or condemn a cold air intake? I added one to my turbocharged Dart, which sounded amazing after, but I don't know what to expect on a larger naturally aspirated engine, if anything.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rolo posted:

So is a strut tower brace on a new mustang worth more than just cosmetics? I went base on my GT manual so I could keep the 18" wheels that I'm into, but I'm looking at picking up some bits from the PP.

At the same time, anyone recommend or condemn a cold air intake? I added one to my turbocharged Dart, which sounded amazing after, but I don't know what to expect on a larger naturally aspirated engine, if anything.

I know I love the K&N on my 03, but I can't vouch on a newer model.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Makes fun noises, doesn't do much if anything for power.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

iwentdoodie posted:

This and it being reusable are the only things that make me buy them. If it sounds good on the 5.0 I'll probably get one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

iwentdoodie posted:

I've always been told they are good for 20-30 hp?

Edit: i checked the k&n sir and they claim a 6.7hp increase with a 2000, so not much

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Rolo posted:

Strut tower brace is effective in any car that's using mcpherson struts so yes it's more than cosmetic on the new Mustang.