Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ObamaPhone posted:

Let me get this straight:

Any movie that involves cuckolding is the bees knees with all internet movie fans, right?

Possession, Breaking Waves, and Hellraiser #1.

I mean, it's an easy thing to hit people's lizard brains with that's kinda hard to gently caress up. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

ObamaPhone posted:

You're a horrible person.

Aren't we all?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Franchescanado posted:

The slow motion black and white penetration shot while the child dies, set to moody orchestral music?
If it was anyone else it could be attributable simply to bad taste, but a shot lovingly lingering on balls swinging in slow motion, to an aria from Handel's The Triumph of Time and Truth, in a sequence with full-on penetration, by Lars von Trier, can only be interpreted as comedy, or misinterpreted entirely.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

The slow motion black and white penetration shot while the child dies, set to moody orchestral music?

Man i haven't even seen the movie but that sounds funny

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ObamaPhone posted:

You're a horrible person.

Don't sign your posts

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I mean, it turns out having the luxuries of idle time, an education, and relatively little commercial pressure are also good (though not necessarily sufficient) conditions for artistic output. It's not these things that condemn the rich, but that these things are denied to others.

Agreed. I was going to say all that but I didn't want to belabor the point.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

If it was anyone else it could be attributable simply to bad taste, but a shot lovingly lingering on balls swinging in slow motion, to an aria from Handel's The Triumph of Time and Truth, in a sequence with full-on penetration, by Lars von Trier, can only be interpreted as comedy, or misinterpreted entirely.

I see irony and wit in the set-up, but not humor that is funny or would make me laugh.

I actually find it pretty bleak. It's an act of intimacy, shot with intimacy and darkness. It is vulgar, mesmerizing, and human. They are so rapt in their lovemaking while a product if their love, an innocent child, falls to its death in the cold darkness. It's a great opener to the film, and it's self-aware, but that doesn't translate in laughter.

Compared to the dinner scene in Eraserhead, which is self-aware of the situation it portays and audience reaction, and which I find hysterical.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

let he who has never laughed at a dead baby joke cast the first stone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Speaking of Lars Von Trier his next film is supposedly a serial killer horror film called The House that Jack Built.

Here's a story on it

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/05/lars-von-triers-the-house-that-jack-built-details-revealed-of-provocative-serial-killer-movie-290584/

quote:

. [Von Trier] wants to be able to change it between periods of shooting because when we’ll have done the body of the film in the Fall, he will then go edit it and he sees how he can combine the murders.” No cast has been announced as of yet.

“He calls it the five incidents," Vesth continues, "which is the murder cases and then he has a lot of digressions in between to connect the story, in a similar way as in ‘Nymphomaniac.’"

It sounds like he's going to do the film in a similar style to Angst

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 26, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
dead baby jokes are funny because we were all babies once, it's like the most inclusive form of dark humor imaginable

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

dead baby jokes are funny because we were all babies once

I wasn't

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

you're missing out, life makes a lot more sense if you can remind yourself that, once upon a time, you were a tiny lump that mostly shits itself and screams and people (hopefully) still loved you anyways

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Speaking of Lars Von Trier his next film is supposedly a serial killer horror film called The House that Jack Built.

Only Von Trier would have a chance to make a serial killer movie as dark and depressing as I Saw the Devil. I'm not sure if I even want to see it. Well, yea I guess I do want to see it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you're missing out, life makes a lot more sense if you can remind yourself that, once upon a time, you were a tiny lump that mostly shits itself and screams

oh that, yeah I'm still that

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Only Von Trier would have a chance to make a serial killer movie as dark and depressing as I Saw the Devil. I'm not sure if I even want to see it. Well, yea I guess I do want to see it.

I would say there are many serial killer movies darker and more depressing than I Saw The Devil. I Saw The Devil is rough but also kinda wacky.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

South Korea has some sort of specialized market for dark and depressing serial killer films.

edit:

Does anyone else's Shudder show like 15 pages for sort by new release?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Danish sense of humour is very dark. Tragedy is comedy in the north.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman came from the box. You called him. He came.

Ew.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

surely I'm not the only homunculus in this thread

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would say there are many serial killer movies darker and more depressing than I Saw The Devil. I Saw The Devil is rough but also kinda wacky.

There are some scenes in it that are I guess kind of wacky, but probably not any more so than a lot of the stuff Anthony Hopkins is doing in The Silence of the Lambs.

Even Henry has its moments of black comedy, as disturbing as it is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Danish sense of humour is very dark. Tragedy is comedy in the north.

Didn't think about that. My only Danish exposure is the few von Trier films I've seen and the Klovn movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh poo poo! Shudder finally added all those Giallo films and a ton of other films.

I see :

What have you done to Solange

The Case of the Bloody Iris

Strip Nude for Your Killer

I emailed support about Argento's Opera not being on there. They said they were in the middle of a migration and that some films were being removed to be put up at a higher quality.

Huh, I don't remember Santa Sangre being on the site.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 26, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

surely I'm not the only homunculus in this thread

Some of us are just more discreet is all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I only judge sentient beings based on their opinion of found footage horror films.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

What have you done to Solange

This is one of the very best giallo films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I only judge sentient beings based on their opinion of found footage horror films.

Do we really count found-footage fans as "sentient" though?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I sorta agree but the ha-ha funny parts of Melancholia were my favorite parts

What qualifies for this, refresh my memory.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Man Bites Dog considered found footage?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What qualifies for this, refresh my memory.

I'm specifically thinking of Udo Kier as the Fussy Wedding Planner and Charlotte Rampling as Transparently The Worst Person Ever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

The introductory set piece in Antichrist (2009) is one of the funniest scenes ever produced by self-conscious arthouse film.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That poo poo is fantastic. Outside of The Kingdom, every other time I've seen him try to do "comedy beats" it just sinks like a stone.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm specifically thinking of Udo Kier as the Fussy Wedding Planner and Charlotte Rampling as Transparently The Worst Person Ever

I guess I find that kind of stuff much more slight than most of Nymphomaniac, even if the characters themselves are quite broad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't see Nymphomaniac, it looked pretty bad. Breaking the Waves and Dogville are his only movies that really do much for me.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Is Man Bites Dog considered found footage?

It feels like a mockumentary without the little vignettes, but now that I think about it I haven't seen it in roughly a decade - definitely way before the influx of ff movies like Paranormal Activity. Maybe I should revisit it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a mockumentary, the terms are just used interchangeably now for whatever reason.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I emerged from the womb as the fully-formed idiot that stands before you today.

To make the post relevant, I really enjoyed the bad guy in Hush. Best part of the movie for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is that any good. I know it's on Netflix and I keep debating on watching it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
For me the bad guy is what makes it. I mean, it's a competent film and it definitely succeeds at creating some tense moments, but the 20-something killer with no background and no motivation who inexplicably uses a crossbow for no discernible reason besides he probably thinks it's badass or something is the most interesting part of the movie. It's also got some funny moments, most of which involve the killer.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, it's an easy thing to hit people's lizard brains with that's kinda hard to gently caress up. v:v:v

Thanks mods.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Don't sign your posts

Sign my posts?

I was born with a goatee and a 10-inch dick with hair already on my nutts.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was fantastic and the villain is quite a bastard.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Franchescanado posted:

I see irony and wit in the set-up, but not humor that is funny or would make me laugh.
Well, what an individual viewer will laugh at is a hopelessly subjective measure and so I don't think it would be profitable to argue about it.

But I think it's pretty clear that one of the central arguments of Antichrist is that the antecedents to the events portrayed in the film have roots which are primordial, atavistic, and therefore inevitable; but the actual causes, and therefore most of the consequences (which are what the film concerns itself with the most) are of He and She's authorship, and are therefore entirely avoidable. To quote another famous Dane there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

The prologue presents us with a bunch of images which, were they presented in a more traditional (I won't say less inflected but perhaps differently inflected) fashion we'd interpret, react to, very differently than I think von Trier imagines the audience will as they are presented in the film. That is, von Trier presents the dicks and cooters in slo-mo with opera drizzled over them like treacle in the expectation that his arthouse audience will be stroking their van dykes and nodding sagely instead of engaging with the material in any more visceral way. Which is precisely what leads the protagonists into their self-inflicted Purgatory.

We, collectively, have trouble with laughter. We're too eager to use it to distance ourselves from `bad' stuff---and this has prevented generations of filmgoers from engaging with a lot of righteously great genre film---but at the same time we're too reticent to use it when we approach Serious Film. Which isn't to say we should giggle at all `serious' films or whatever, but rather that the sort of formal, institutional approach we default to when approaching Important Art is just as much as a distancing strategy as is the RiffTrax approach to `bad' films. It's the kosher-only-for-Passover, church only on Easter and Christmas equivalent of aesthetic appreciation.

I think in Antichrist, and in von Trier's films in general, there's a sort of Renaissance appreciation for the scatological. It's not irony per se, but rather an understanding that the sacred and the profane are in fact of the same substance with only our apprehension separating them. So while I'm pretty sure that von Trier intended, if we care about such things, for the slowly pendulating testicles to be comic in the ha-ha sense (as well as being entirely `serious' in the scene as presented) I don't think it's necessary to find yourself laughing at the image to understand that the inevitable (albeit, I think the implicit argument is, completely artificial) tension between these competing reactions is very much the point, and informs our understanding of the rest of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Hollismason posted:

One of the only true good horror movies in the last couple of years.

I would say top 5 between 2015--2016.