Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He actually looks like a weird mush of Adams, Corbyn, and Galloway.

Georrgemy Gadabyn. Destroyer of Parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sympathizes with several opposing terrorists at the same time, causing opponents to become confused.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This seems a bit unreasonable:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Holy moly this is the guy funding the lawsuit to take Corbyn off the ballot:

"You are here because the Labour party is about to be destroyed. Its every living member terminated, its entire existence eradicated."
"Bullshit."
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Dabir posted:

"You are here because the Labour party is about to be destroyed. Its every living member terminated, its entire existence eradicated."
"Bullshit."
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."

"Assuming direct control"

*flings wet noodles at Corbyn for nine months*

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, that's the root cause of most of this.

I have no opposition to city state-funded grammar schools in principle, because they provide(d at one point) mobility for working class kids. Their biggest opponents were middle-class parents from leafy suburbs who, in the absence of the huge number of private grammars that exist in the UK today, deeply resented that it was a paper test rather than the paper in their bank that determined whether their little darlings went to a lovely prole school or the good school which was still full of proles and some of them even got help with their lunch and uniform costs it's bloody communism.

Now, the obvious solution would be to better fund the secondary moderns too and go for across the board improvement but that group of people would never go for that, because it's going to come out of their taxes, which is an abomination that mostly goes to gypsies and unmarried mothers.

It's no coincidence that it was Thatcher who was the main driver of the closure of the inner-city state-funded grammars, condensing them into comprehensives so that everyone would benefit the glorious hand of the free market could make a ton of private grammar schools, then those same families who were being cheated out of their rightful place could get in when all the poor kids were scared off (except for a couple who got scholarships because we're fair).

Given the choice between "keep grammars, technical schools, and secondary moderns" and "move to comprehensives while allowing the flowering of a million private schools" which was actually the choice given then, I'd go with the former.

So I don't think the closures were a good idea in the first place in principle. But given who is proposing this current scheme to have more grammar schools, it just seems like it's a ploy to get all the academic kids into one school in the area so that they can mark all the others as 'underperforming' and then cut their funding (to help them perform better, of course).

PSA banned all drugs that don't have Pissflaps as a side effect.

The problem with grammar schools and the general segregation of schoolchildren (including private schools) is that it insulates them into a bubble. Why should academic kids only share space with other academic kids? Set streaming can help with catering to different abilities, but ultimately kids from all different backgrounds and abilities should intermingle.

Singapore, despite its absolutely vast divisions in wealth and social class, does not typically allow its own citizens to send their kids to private schools and it has no entrance exams. Its state funded system achieves the best in results in the world, albeit with controversial measures, demonstrating that it is atleast possible to have a solid state system. Iirc Gove went out there as education minister and the lesson he came back with was 'we should discipline the children harder :downs:' rather than 'oh gee every school seems to have vast facilities and teaching staff to support its students'.

I don't want to see a return to grammar schools because all that happens is we add yet another insufferable layer of snobbery into education, whilst we send the kids who don't manage the entrance tests to the secondary moderns with substantially less resources per pupil. To the poster complaining that middle class parents can just buy a good education now, they always could. If little Timmy was so dense he couldn't absorb the hours of coaching on the test, they could still send them to one of those middle of the road private schools that still crushes most comps, you very rarely found the posh kids at the secondary moderns.

Tl:dr - the solution has always been to beef up state schools with good ideas and money such that the value proposition of private/grammar schools nosedives. gently caress dividing kids by class so they learn to perpetuate it. Great education for all, not just the rich, and not just the smart (test takers).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

The problem with grammar schools and the general segregation of schoolchildren (including private schools) is that it insulates them into a bubble. Why should academic kids only share space with other academic kids? Set streaming can help with catering to different abilities, but ultimately kids from all different backgrounds and abilities should intermingle.

Singapore, despite its absolutely vast divisions in wealth and social class, does not typically allow its own citizens to send their kids to private schools and it has no entrance exams. Its state funded system achieves the best in results in the world, albeit with controversial measures, demonstrating that it is atleast possible to have a solid state system. Iirc Gove went out there as education minister and the lesson he came back with was 'we should discipline the children harder :downs:' rather than 'oh gee every school seems to have vast facilities and teaching staff to support its students'.

I don't want to see a return to grammar schools because all that happens is we add yet another insufferable layer of snobbery into education, whilst we send the kids who don't manage the entrance tests to the secondary moderns with substantially less resources per pupil. To the poster complaining that middle class parents can just buy a good education now, they always could. If little Timmy was so dense he couldn't absorb the hours of coaching on the test, they could still send them to one of those middle of the road private schools that still crushes most comps, you very rarely found the posh kids at the secondary moderns.

Tl:dr - the solution has always been to beef up state schools with good ideas and money such that the value proposition of private/grammar schools nosedives. gently caress dividing kids by class so they learn to perpetuate it. Great education for all, not just the rich, and not just the smart (test takers).

The issue I've always had with the comprehensive system, beyond the fact private schools exist, is that schoolchildren are segregated anyways by middle-class parents moving to good suburbian schools and commuting a bit further to work while working-class parents who can't afford to move or commute far are stuck in city schools. Comprehensives may have been created to prevent segregation but just perpetuate geographical segregation of the classes (also another factor in the house price bubble)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I have no opposition to city state-funded grammar schools in principle, because they provide(d at one point) mobility for working class kids.

The problem with grammar schools is that all the things you mentioned in your last post, like smaller class sizes, different teaching styles etc. should be available in every school if they're so loving good. Skimming off the top performing kids, throwing all your resources at them then slapping yourself on the back when they perform better than the ones you left behind isn't an education breakthrough.

Ocrassus posted:

Basically this.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

The issue I've always had with the comprehensive system, beyond the fact private schools exist, is that schoolchildren are segregated anyways by middle-class parents moving to good suburbian schools and commuting a bit further to work while working-class parents who can't afford to move or commute far are stuck in city schools. Comprehensives may have been created to prevent segregation but just perpetuate geographical segregation of the classes (also another factor in the house price bubble)

Right, and something needs to be done about that. Doesn't mean we can write off the comp system, just means it needs to be harder to game (and made more redundant). A lot of what makes a comp suffer is a combination of poor resources and the environment it is located in. School needs to be a place kids look forward to going and not a drudge, especially for poorer kids. It needs to be clean, expansive, well maintained facilities and with a plethora of good quality staff. Teachers need to be paid a salary commensurate with their vital role to society so that even more able minds might choose it over a career in finance or law.

Also gently caress it, make more state boarding schools if parents are going to game it so much so that this postcode lottery poo poo doesn't happen. Some kids do very well there and the kids that don't don't have to go there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean rationally the response to a school performing poorly should be to dump a load of money into it to fix it.

Nowt wrong with city schools if they are commensurately funded. Keep funding poor schools and rake in the stamp duty as the WASPs follow them around.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
It's not even just funding, atleast not completely. The state system is unwieldy in that it is too one size fits all to the needs of every child. We are stuck in the mentality that a child needs to be beaten with the rod of punishment if they simply aren't interested, when schools are mostly just uninspiring places. Grey boxes with grey coldly lit hallways with the only colour being an occasional notice board, with students sitting at desks for the sole purpose of taking a test to determine their worth to society.

Tangential learning and creativity is going to be the single most important skill for a huge amount of our populace as we steadily automate the algorithmic jobs in our society, but our state education institutions, particularly the poor inner city ones, still resemble factories in appearance and function.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More money would probably solve that. Shove enough kids and and supervising adults together with enough money and you're bound to get the tory conference some degree of creativity if only because there's only so much you can spend on past papers to make people take.

I would venture the reason state schools look poo poo and teach only the bare minimum is because that's all they can afford. Left to their own devices and funding teachers do tend to like doing interesting things.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tesseraction posted:

Holy moly this is the guy funding the lawsuit to take Corbyn off the ballot:

"Look...into my eyes."

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I have the utmost respect for teachers. I think you're right, I was more referring to the training and regulation that governs traditional teaching, as well as the outright dull environment and architecture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've not been inside one of the new schools they're building all around here but they're all enormous intersecting platonic solids painted in block primary colours, I dunno what the inside's like but from the outside they look quite nice.

I figure it's just that I went to school at a time when you got some old 70's monstrosity or nowt.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

NLJP posted:

What in the unholy gently caress. This pile of wank ran on TV? I'm... I'm not sure we should be allowed to laugh at yank TV anymore...

You Brits have at least temporarily lost your license to laugh at American dimwittery for a reason that begins with B and ends appropriately enough with, 'wrecks it.'

...If Trump wins the US presidential election the aforementioned document will be promptly returned.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Haskell9 posted:

You Brits have at least temporarily lost your license to laugh at American dimwittery for a reason that begins with B and ends appropriately enough with, 'wrecks it.'

...If Trump wins the US presidential election the aforementioned document will be promptly returned.

I mean yeah but even now we're seeing (self-declared, sure) US 'progressives' saying hillary is more or less as bad as literal facist trump so I guess what I'm saying is we're probably even at this point

NLJP fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 27, 2016

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Haskell9 posted:

If Trump loses in November you'll owe us for Brexit shaking the American leftish out of complacency regarding Trump. No one really believed that badly coiffured egotistical conservative buffoons could successfully lead the electorate by the nose simply by posing as anti-establishment men of the people armed with blatantly impossible promises constructed wholesale from the rancid farts of bigots until Boris and Farage took us to Brexit. Come November if you dodge the Trump bullet spare a thought for old Blighty, since we took one for the team to spare the world the calamity of President Trump. :britain:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Haskell9 posted:

You Brits have at least temporarily lost your license to laugh at American dimwittery

Counterpoint: DNC

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TheRat posted:

Counterpoint: DNC

Pish, that's just party dickering, only butthurt Berniebros are acting like it's anything more. It'll be November that tells the tale.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's also pretty much over. 100 delegates left out of thousands instead of half the dang party.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

NLJP posted:

I mean yeah but even now we're seeing (self-declared, sure) US 'progressives' saying hillary is more or less as bad as literal facist trump so I guess what I'm saying is we're probably even at this point

Hillary is horrible for reasons that I wouldn't expect a foreigner to comprehend. And my only other option is Donald loving Trump yelling at black people? Hello fellow Americans can we please have more than two viable parties on the national stage?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Not this thread too, keep that poo poo to USPOL. I'm here to laugh at Labour, god drat it.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Grapplejack posted:

Not this thread too, keep that poo poo to USPOL. I'm here to laugh at Labour, god drat it.

Apologies Grapplejack this thread got frontpaged. I don't know poo poo about UK/EU politics except the Brexit types sound like Trump voters.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Josef bugman posted:

In slightly less bleak news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/takepart/time_commanders

Any of you guys planning on joining?

:magical:

Miracles do come true.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Haskell9 posted:

Hillary is horrible for reasons that I wouldn't expect a foreigner to comprehend. And my only other option is Donald loving Trump yelling at black people? Hello fellow Americans can we please have more than two viable parties on the national stage?

Complaining that you get Hillary Clinton is pretty tone deaf in a thread full of people stuck with Theresa May on the rapidly sinking HMS Brexit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Well this is a headline.

"Channel 5 removes Fireman Sam episode showing character stepping on Qur'an"

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/26/channel-5-remove-fireman-sam-episode-which-shows-character-stepping-on-quran

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Hillary is vile tbh

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Haskell9 posted:

Hillary is horrible for reasons that I wouldn't expect a foreigner to comprehend

lol

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I've got someone on my Facebook currently complaining that people won't hold their noses and vote for Hillary.

He's a rabid Lib Dem supporter.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

I've got someone on my Facebook currently complaining that people won't hold their noses and vote for Hillary.

When the alternative is the literal fascist, it's a valid complaint tbh.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

When the alternative is the literal fascist, it's a valid complaint tbh.

I think it comes across a bit hollow if you don't shut the gently caress up about how great the Lib Dems are.

Also, he repeatedly referred to the people not voting as 'acting like loving children', which will definitely endear them to your view :downs:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
for the next decade at least, we're all going to have to votez escroc, pas facho a bit

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Praseodymi posted:

American politics is take your preconceived notions of ideology and then shift everything to the right.

Bernie is probably lib dem in practice, Hillary is Tory and trump is trump.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I really want to thank you guys for probating pissflaps before this conversation.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

American politics is take your preconceived notions of ideology and then shift everything to the right.

Bernie is probably lib dem in practice, Hillary is Tory and trump is trump.

That analogy only really works if Labour were a smaller party than the Lib Dems.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Haskell9 posted:

Apologies Grapplejack this thread got frontpaged. I don't know poo poo about UK/EU politics except the Brexit types sound like Trump voters.

The only thing you need to know is that if the Russians hacked the email servers of the labour party, they wouldn't find anything that hadn't already been leaked to the press and/or posted to Twitter.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Jacobin have written a summary of Corbyn's media representation, for anybody interested.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Simon Wren-Lewis endorses not-Corbyn (?):

quote:

What seems totally clear to me is that given recent events a Corbyn led party cannot win in 2020, or even come close. I was highly critical of the anti-Corbynistas who wanted to argue that their antics were having no impact on public opinion, so it would be absurd for me to pretend that people would elect to power a Labour party that had voted no confidence in its leader.

This has to be the bedrock on which voting decisions in the coming leadership contest should be based. Once you accept it, then various things follow almost automatically if Corbyn were to win again. One is that the likelihood of a split is strong. History tells us that it takes only a few to make this happen, and if a few think they will lose their seats anyway they have nothing to lose. Even if no split occurred, the constituency wanting to vote for a committed pro-European party of the centre-left is likely to remain strong while the Brexit negotiations continue. History also tells us that a divided left in a FPTP system cannot succeed, a fact that is built into the DNA of the Conservatives.

Another consequence of a bad defeat in 2020 is that the left within Labour will again lose its influence for a generation. Defeat and a divided party will not be the springboard on which a successor to Corbyn, such as those mentioned by Justin Lewis here, can win. Ironically their chances if Owen Smith wins in 2016, then reverts to the pre-2015 strategy and fails are much better. Keeping Corbyn until 2020 simply delays the date of his departure, with nothing achieved and much lost in the meantime.

maybe it's revenge for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
If the party splits, are those MPs just gonna refuse to step down and allow a by-election? Surely, unless your CLP does nominate Smith, if a Labour MP abandons the party in the event of the membership returning Corbyn, they'll never win re-election?

Quick glance at the SDP looks like none of them allowed a by-election and then they won a massive six seats at the next election. (Largely due to FPTP screwing them)

I cannot fathom how these MPs spent nine months undermining the leader instead of attacking the Tories and are now ready to return to the outback rather than give him (another?) chance.

• Locked thread