Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Infamous Second Son is actually a surprisingly fun open world superhero game. You have a move called 'Orbital Drop' though, where it shows an animation of the character's obnoxious face every single time. Occasionally the game glitches out and just shows you a side view of the character flying into the air which is way cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_UkdL-oF4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Poulpe posted:

I actually really like the minigame sections v:shobon:v
I think they break up monotonous gameplay and inject flavor into the universe that most games just wouldn't bother doing or would attempt to do via dialogue. Different strokes, though!

I don't mind the ones that have actual thought and effort put into them. The tower defense one is an admirable if flawed and ultimately not-worthwhile effort, and for my money the best one yet is the highway motorcycle fight, which is a really engaging and fun diversion.

The ones I hate are the stuff like what you get in Junoon. It's half-baked, confusing and lazy, and really only serves to frustrate. Especislly when, as I pointed out, they might just not work.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
It's weird how disconnected the gameplay is from the real content, the story that everyone remembers, in Final Fantasy. They were obviously struggling with that in the late 90s-- those games were packed with content, but in 7, there are like 2 times that you "killing" a guy in combat affects the plot at all, right? Sephiroth at the end, and an exploding robot blows up a bridge and Cloud falls off it?

Mokinokaro posted:

There's definitely a big difference with flying skill as well. Helicopters control horribly until you get that fairly leveled (which thankfully goes pretty quick with the flight school)

Raising your stats to make the controls work better is real bad to me. Something strictly numerical like more damage is fine; even moving faster or having more knockback on your attacks, that's fine. Otherwise, stats out of action games, IMO

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Infamous Second Son is actually a surprisingly fun open world superhero game. You have a move called 'Orbital Drop' though, where it shows an animation of the character's obnoxious face every single time. Occasionally the game glitches out and just shows you a side view of the character flying into the air which is way cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_UkdL-oF4

There's a later part where it makes you do it while he's pissed off, and he has an angry face instead.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

swamp waste posted:

Raising your stats to make the controls work better is real bad to me. Something strictly numerical like more damage is fine; even moving faster or having more knockback on your attacks, that's fine. Otherwise, stats out of action games, IMO

This reminds me of Dead Rising 1. Each survivor had their own AI/priorities (stay close to you, help friends/specific friend if threatened, run from threats, etc). This isn't made explicitly clear, and some of the first survivors you encounter are intentionally programmed to
a) be poo poo at fighting (old guy, two dudebros)
b) be heroic and overaggressive, running right into crowds of zombies (dudebros)
c) be slow, cautious and cowardly (at least one early woman survivor, the dudebros when they're hurt)

This of course makes a bad first impression and virtually everyone agrees that DR's survivor AI is poo poo. However, there are a good few of them who can take care of themselves and even positively help fights against psychos, but compounded with the awful machine-gun jeep psychos in the courtyard being an incredibly unfair fight for newbies (about 1 hour into the game, around the same time as dudebros) it suuuuure seems like the AI is poo poo.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Evilreaver posted:

This reminds me of Dead Rising 1. Each survivor had their own AI/priorities (stay close to you, help friends/specific friend if threatened, run from threats, etc). This isn't made explicitly clear, and some of the first survivors you encounter are intentionally programmed to
a) be poo poo at fighting (old guy, two dudebros)
b) be heroic and overaggressive, running right into crowds of zombies (dudebros)
c) be slow, cautious and cowardly (at least one early woman survivor, the dudebros when they're hurt)

This of course makes a bad first impression and virtually everyone agrees that DR's survivor AI is poo poo. However, there are a good few of them who can take care of themselves and even positively help fights against psychos, but compounded with the awful machine-gun jeep psychos in the courtyard being an incredibly unfair fight for newbies (about 1 hour into the game, around the same time as dudebros) it suuuuure seems like the AI is poo poo.

The real trick was manually directing the survivors (aim and then Y button). It makes a waypoint that they'll beeline towards, and then defend.

Not only will they spend less time uselessly fighting but for some reason it also greatly increases their pathing skills so they spend way less time stuck on potted plants and chairs and poo poo.

You can keep a group of survivors in one spot, clear a path, send them through the path (while running around making sure everyone is fine), rinse, repeat.

I think the manual mentioned you could do this, maybe? But really, one trick made the game vastly easier and it's never, ever mentioned in-game. Also it's kind of dumb that the survivors just become much better at walking if you just tell them where to go.

e; the first Dead Rising was very much "do these weird and obscure tricks or you'll have a hard time". Sure there's stuff like knowing all the items/routes/spawn times but also things like giving survivors weapons... and then giving them a healing item so they drop the weapon before you get to the safe room... but then running into them and jostling them so they drop the healing item before using it.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Or just do what DR2 did and make the survivors powerful and self-sufficient on their own from the get-go, because nobody likes babysitting NPCs especially in a game with endlessly-respawning hoards of zombies and a time limit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM 2 has some serious snowball effect issues. Once you start losing a campaign it's so hard to get back to the winning side that if I'm on an ironman run I'll just quit instead of wasting my time seeing it through to the bitter end. The game tries to give you the sympathy vote if you start getting your poo poo pushed in, but on the whole it seems designed to go "you will not win this, here is a big list of reasons why" and that just makes me not want to play more than anything.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Or just do what DR2 did and make the survivors powerful and self-sufficient on their own from the get-go, because nobody likes babysitting NPCs especially in a game with endlessly-respawning hoards of zombies and a time limit.

And then they went back on that with Off The Record. :iamafag:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FactsAreUseless posted:

PYF thing jerking this game off - our hands are all dry and scaly

LOL

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

*looks through huge collection of games that have no minigames or purely optional ones*

ok

you're arguing with a guy who used the phrase "socially acceptable excuse for a walk" about pokemon go and posts 500 times a month about video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ArtIsResistance posted:

you're arguing with a guy who used the phrase "socially acceptable excuse for a walk" about pokemon go and posts 500 times a month about video games

And yet Woolie Wool is still the one that is wrong in this discussion.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

CJacobs posted:

And yet Woolie Wool is still the one that is wrong in this discussion.

oh nooooooo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Also if you do die you lose all your weapons and have to waste time getting them back.

If you start to date the medic you won't lose your weapons if you die.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Alhazred posted:

If you start to date the medic you won't lose your weapons if you die.

And you can date the police lady (the one who likes her men chubby) to keep all your weapons after getting busted too. Amazingly, these little bonuses even carried over to another save as long as you kept the file where you'd dated both of them, giving San Andreas a major advantage over Vice City and III in retrospect. The problem is that the medic is on the second island, and the policewoman is on the final island, so you still have to bite the bullet a little on your first playthrough. Also, there's very little to even hint at their existence in the game.

Unfortunately there's no such solution to the lack of mission checkpoints. GTAV has really spoiled us there.

I keep thinking about getting the GTA Trilogy for PS4, but I replayed Vice City and San Andreas fairly recently anyway. They were fun for the most part, though there are inevitably some bits that really suck. For me, Vice City had the target practice minigame at the downtown AmmuNation (probably not that hard with a mouse, but very irritating with a controller joystick on a large TV) whilst San Andreas had the Mount Chiliad cycling races, which I don't think I've ever fully won without cheating (i.e. letting them all win then sniping them one by one as they sit at the finish line).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And you can date the police lady (the one who likes her men chubby) to keep all your weapons after getting busted too. Amazingly, these little bonuses even carried over to another save as long as you kept the file where you'd dated both of them, giving San Andreas a major advantage over Vice City and III in retrospect. The problem is that the medic is on the second island, and the policewoman is on the final island, so you still have to bite the bullet a little on your first playthrough. Also, there's very little to even hint at their existence in the game.

Unfortunately there's no such solution to the lack of mission checkpoints. GTAV has really spoiled us there.

I keep thinking about getting the GTA Trilogy for PS4, but I replayed Vice City and San Andreas fairly recently anyway. They were fun for the most part, though there are inevitably some bits that really suck. For me, Vice City had the target practice minigame at the downtown AmmuNation (probably not that hard with a mouse, but very irritating with a controller joystick on a large TV) whilst San Andreas had the Mount Chiliad cycling races, which I don't think I've ever fully won without cheating (i.e. letting them all win then sniping them one by one as they sit at the finish line).

How about GTAV's flight school?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Nuebot posted:

How about GTAV's flight school?

To be honest I never had much trouble with the aircraft in GTAV. The flight school in San Andreas was much more traumatising to me when I played it as a youngster.

If there's any part of GTAV I wouldn't want to do again it would probably be the stunt jumps, since I found some of them to be very picky. That, or the many different types of collectibles that did nothing. A special shout out to the UFO part on the canyon bridge and every peyote plant you find in the ocean.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who liked the puzzle and grindboot parts of Ratchet and Clank games.
That's because Ratchet and Clank did them really well. It's a great series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be honest I never had much trouble with the aircraft in GTAV. The flight school in San Andreas was much more traumatising to me when I played it as a youngster.

If there's any part of GTAV I wouldn't want to do again it would probably be the stunt jumps, since I found some of them to be very picky. That, or the many different types of collectibles that did nothing. A special shout out to the UFO part on the canyon bridge and every peyote plant you find in the ocean.

The fake Scientology stuff is worth doing once but gently caress ever doing it on a subsequent playthrough.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

CJacobs posted:

XCOM 2 has some serious snowball effect issues. Once you start losing a campaign it's so hard to get back to the winning side that if I'm on an ironman run I'll just quit instead of wasting my time seeing it through to the bitter end. The game tries to give you the sympathy vote if you start getting your poo poo pushed in, but on the whole it seems designed to go "you will not win this, here is a big list of reasons why" and that just makes me not want to play more than anything.

DId you ever play the Long War mod for the XCOM reboot? The balance is hard to perceive, but one or two bad missions and eventually you're just throwing dudes into the meat grinder waiting for the inevitable end.

On this same note, Hearts of Iron 4. A game about WW2, (shockingly) has that problem. I tried a France playthrough where I was going to wait out the horde of Italian and German fascists by hiding behind giant forts. 4 million casualties later, I managed to run out of French manpower in 1942, and all my divisions basically ran out of dudes to carry guns :cry:.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A White Guy posted:

On this same note, Hearts of Iron 4. A game about WW2, (shockingly) has that problem. I tried a France playthrough where I was going to wait out the horde of Italian and German fascists by hiding behind giant forts. 4 million casualties later, I managed to run out of French manpower in 1942, and all my divisions basically ran out of dudes to carry guns :cry:.

Did you have field hospitals attached to all your infantry divisions? I've found every nation (except the super populous ones like USSR/USA/China) pretty much requires them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also to be fair Paradox games aren't about "winning" and choosing a nation like France is more of a self imposed challenge.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

*looks through huge collection of games that have no minigames or purely optional ones*

ok

Minesweeper and Solitaire do not count.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's because Ratchet and Clank did them really well. It's a great series.

gently caress those puzzles. I flat out stopped playing the game cuz it was taking me upwards of like 15 minutes for one of those dumb puzzles with a rotating platform and several robo things. Ain't nobody got time for that bs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i had time for that bs

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

CJacobs posted:

With how important experience is to soldiers combat ability it was the same with XCom 1. A mid or late game wipe on ironman hard mode would be effectively a game over. The enemies would be so powerful at that point that rookies had no chance of getting up to veteran status.
The original game had the same issue. The only solution was to try and spread out kills early on when enemies were weaker.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also to be fair Paradox games aren't about "winning" and choosing a nation like France is more of a self imposed challenge.

Yeah, lasting until 1942 is actually really impressive. You're not supposed to win as France in the Hearts of Iron series.

EUIV, on the other hand...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

gently caress those puzzles. I flat out stopped playing the game cuz it was taking me upwards of like 15 minutes for one of those dumb puzzles with a rotating platform and several robo things. Ain't nobody got time for that bs.
We've done it. We've found The Worst Player. Noob Prime. The Scrub Foretold.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kontradaz posted:

I'm going to put forth FFXIII-2 as the king of puzzles involving rotating that ain't nobody got time for. I ended up just youtubing the ending because the "waiting for things to rotate" factor finally got to be too much for me by the final dungeon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's a really petty thing, in FFXIV if you're in a group of four people, it only takes two people to kick someone out. So if two people are partied together doing random dungeons, they can kick people out right at the end for literally no reason. People love doing this in the latest content.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm going to put forth FFXIII-2 as the king of puzzles involving rotating that ain't nobody got time for. I ended up just youtubing the ending because the "waiting for things to rotate" factor finally got to be too much for me by the final dungeon.

I've never seen so much goddamn stretching and padding in a game before. If you wanna make a game that's only four hours long, that's cool--the battle system and monster breeding would've done the job just fine--but the "ah poo poo if it's over too quick they'll bitch" areas were blatant as hell.

"ah poo poo they're at the end when they get here, um, make them wait on dumb puzzles to put off the inevitable disappointment I guess"

Also, "that's not the real ending, please pay money to play the real ending ok"

gently caress that stupid game and gently caress me for paying fourteen dollars for it

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, "that's not the real ending, please pay money to play the real ending ok"
They seriously did this?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HairyManling posted:

They seriously did this?

Five bucks

Literally one battle you get to lose dozens of times until you get enough exp to unlock the abilities you need to win it. Even then, you need to go look up what to do because they don't tell you poo poo like "getting too much exp actually makes it harder to win after a certain point"

You don't get access to any of your party members or the sweet-rear end sunglasses-wearing flan you raised the whole game

Your opponent has instadeath attacks that kick you to title if you're not MLG with your menu commands

The real ending is "I'll wait here I guess pls buy next gaem"

If you buy the game please do so only to throw the disc at someone you don't like

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HairyManling posted:

They seriously did this?

Not quite. There's some DLC that acts as a poo poo teaser for the sequel, but the actual ending to the game is in fact the ending to the game and the lead in to the next game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The real ending is never playing it, instead watching this and then playing Lightning Returns.

E: That's not an ending, if you care

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

Not quite. There's some DLC that acts as a poo poo teaser for the sequel, but the actual ending to the game is in fact the ending to the game and the lead in to the next game.

Yeah, it's like saying that FFX or Kingdom Hearts didn't have endings because their International editions included teaser videos for sequels that were in development.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, lasting until 1942 is actually really impressive. You're not supposed to win as France in the Hearts of Iron series.

EUIV, on the other hand...

Yeah. There's an achievement in HOI IV that you get if you can manage to maintain France all the way up to 1948. The only real ways to do it is to become fascist, which is kind of liberating.

Another HOI IV complaint: The AI has virtually unlimited planes by 1944. Even if you manage to capture the entirety of the world's rubber supply, the US has enough military factories that the penalties from not having rubber isn't enough to really put a dent in their plane production. As Fascist France, I've been fighting a Battle of Britian that's seen almost 5,000 aircraft get destroyed in a month, and yet the Allied plane count just keep going up, up, up, up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Does it count as dragging the game down if it's the service offering the game? Because I wanted some stupid Japanese mobile game and forgot my old Japanese itunes account because it's been ages since I've used it. They've changed how accounts work since I've set it up, now if you want to make an account you absolutely have to have a credit card for that region, even if you don't plan to ever buy anything. Not only that but if you type your age in as sub-18, because it used to be if you said you were younger than 18 it would let you pick "none" for payment, it just straight up blocks you from ever making an account on that device ever again. Dumb anime games are not worth the bullshit region lock strangle hold itunes enforces on their shop. You can't even browse around too much without the drat thing going "woah now, you don't have permission to be here, go back to the store you belong to" and redirecting you automatically.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Mister Adequate posted:

CJ's stats in SA were great and y'all are bustas for claiming otherwise. :colbert:

But the stat system in san andreas was ONLY an excuse to make cj into an unstoppable force if nature in late game, which both gta 4 and 5 lacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Does it count as dragging the game down if it's the service offering the game? Because I wanted some stupid Japanese mobile game and forgot my old Japanese itunes account because it's been ages since I've used it. They've changed how accounts work since I've set it up, now if you want to make an account you absolutely have to have a credit card for that region, even if you don't plan to ever buy anything. Not only that but if you type your age in as sub-18, because it used to be if you said you were younger than 18 it would let you pick "none" for payment, it just straight up blocks you from ever making an account on that device ever again. Dumb anime games are not worth the bullshit region lock strangle hold itunes enforces on their shop. You can't even browse around too much without the drat thing going "woah now, you don't have permission to be here, go back to the store you belong to" and redirecting you automatically.

My favorite is that the app store shows things that can't run on my device. I have a fourth gen iPod touch and I know it's super out of date and old but it would be nice if it was like the play store and wouldnt show things that run on it.

And if you want to get an app that can run on it you have to buy it I'm iTunes at a computer and then download from the device to get an old one. I know they want to sell me a new mp3 player but come on don't make me jump through hoops.