Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

this is good for corybn because snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sion posted:

this is good for corybn because snype

Oh good the real deal is on probation and you take up the mantle.

As stated yesterday, Corbyn is in a media blitz of negative coverage and Theresa May has had so many people kissing her arse there's nothing left to brown their noses anymore. Of course his polling is going to be rock bottom right now, and the question is if and how he can recover.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

sassassin posted:

Why do people leave their computers on overnight?

Modern PC's use virtually nothing in power saving mode, especially office based systems with iGPU's and all energy saving features switched on.

Then you have updates and maintenance tasks that are scheduled for after hours. Servers that are required to run 24/7 anyways and should scale automatically as VM's can wake up all the sleeping PC's in an office and push updates to them.

If one worker turns their computer off they miss those updates and maintenance which can slow the machine down or leave it as a wide open security hole for the entire organisation.

Plus hardware failure is more common from power on/off cycles than from continual power supply for years. Many older, mission critical machines are left running for decades* chugging away with windows 9x or 16bit DOS tasks because if they're powered off there is no guarantee they'll come back up. Machines like this are rarer but they can be hooked into equipment that costs a quarter million or more to replace or update to a modern OS and architecture.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 27, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thing is the majority of people know almost nothing about Theresa May, and so far she's given a leftist-sounding speech and been a woman, which are both progressive things that make a Tory government sound better. She also cleared house to some degree, like firing Osborne and putting brexiters in ironic punishment positions, as well as seeming to punt the whole issue into the long grass and imply that when/if we leave it will be measured and crafted to the UK's best interests

So really this is the honeymoon period, and she's provided something for everyone to enjoy and feel positive about. It'll take a month or two for the Tories' figures to settle down as they become a known quantity again, when the promise gives way to reality. Never mind the need for Labour to stop loving around already

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
In more amusing news:
https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/758248442087047168
In case you don't follow UKIP's internal manoeuvrings, Steve Woolfe was until recently the favourite for the leadership - he's a fairly capable media performer, is of mixed race (which would at least make it hard for people to attack UKIP as a racist party) and reasonably telegenic, and wants to aggressively go after Labour seats in the North and midlands. Coburn is Scotland's lone UKIP MEP, a total full-on grade A mentalist who seemingly makes up his ideas and policies on the hoof, and... not very telegenic, to put it mildly.

In less amusing news, British retail sales are falling more rapidly than at any point since 2012.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Verizian posted:

Plus hardware failure is more common from power on/off cycles than from continual power supply for years.

Yeah this one seriously.

Also don't buy your PSUs from the local computer shop in my experience.

Unless you enjoy watching the back of your machine explode.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/758249483453001728

https://twitter.com/oidptg/status/758251045936107520

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Because sleep mode/hibernation is pretty good power wise and waiting for them to boot up is annoying.

Back in 1992 that wasn't an issue, you hit the power button and within a second they said READY

Except office mainframes, which were left on overnight.

Wot? Hibernation is a shut down state - you can remove the power cable, leave it a week, plug it back in and unhibernate. And in 1992 we were long past BASIC and into proper computers with multitasking and (extremely loud, expensive) hard drives.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What is going on with Scottish Labour at the minute? It seems at the moment like everyone is Scotland has just kind of rolled over to the SNP, while it seems like there might be a gap for an anti-austerity party that is offering something less than full independence (like devo max). I personally know a bunch of Scottish people who voted No in the referendum but are holding their noses and voting SNP since they seem to be the only ones arguing against cuts while Labour sold them down the river with Ed going back on the devolution promise.

I'm just finding it strange that Labour don't seem to have much of a plan at getting back into Scotland, but I don't know if that's just because I haven't heard about it since I live south of the border.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
why do people keep talking about a political revolution. i want a revolution of settling. a revolution of giving up on your dreams.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Cerv posted:

His house in Islington can't be worth much less than a Surrey mansion though

I suspect not when he moved in, since he's likely been there for the majority of the 30 years he's served as Islington North's MP.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah I know but I think we can all agree that a 3 year old should probably check their white privilage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sion posted:

Yeah I know but I think we can all agree that a 3 year old should probably check their white privilage.

What?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HorseLord posted:

Wot? Hibernation is a shut down state - you can remove the power cable, leave it a week, plug it back in and unhibernate. And in 1992 we were long past BASIC and into proper computers with multitasking and (extremely loud, expensive) hard drives.

Speak for yourself, I was still rocking an Atari ST around then. :colbert:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

What is going on with Scottish Labour at the minute? It seems at the moment like everyone is Scotland has just kind of rolled over to the SNP, while it seems like there might be a gap for an anti-austerity party that is offering something less than full independence (like devo max). I personally know a bunch of Scottish people who voted No in the referendum but are holding their noses and voting SNP since they seem to be the only ones arguing against cuts while Labour sold them down the river with Ed going back on the devolution promise.

I'm just finding it strange that Labour don't seem to have much of a plan at getting back into Scotland, but I don't know if that's just because I haven't heard about it since I live south of the border.

From what I remember from popcorning the independence vote, Scottish Labour is made up of the sort of people in Scotland who are tories but too cowardly to admit it. That's been the case for a long-rear end time because all of the intelligent and charismatic leftist voices get swallowed up by the actually viable leftist parties as the scottish parliament level and then just run as SNP if they rise higher. So sure Corbyn's ideas probably appeal to the SNP in a general sense but Scottish Labour have been some of the loudest voices against him so what, are you going to vote for them?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Probably talking about that woman who's being investigated for saying mean things about the prince on social media.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

Labour don't seem to have much of a plan at getting back into Scotland.

There's no point. It's all political liabilities and no gains. Anything promised north of the border can be used against Labour south of the border, and it won't gain any Labour seats anyway; the SNP is just too strong. It's far better to sit on their hands and wait for the inevitable tide of disillusionment, than to spend limited political capital in the here and now. In the meanwhile Labour MSPs can just tend to day-to-day matters and hold the fort.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

Probably talking about that woman who's being investigated for saying mean things about the prince on social media.

Yeah. I just found out about this and it is pretty eyerollingly stupid on all fronts. The head of international estates for a charity saying that a three year old looks like a loving dickhead and needs to check their white privilage is dumb as gently caress but then again so is bringing in the police?

ronya posted:

Labour don't seem to have much of a plan at getting back into Scotland.

There's no point. It's all political liabilities and no gains. Anything promised north of the border can be used against Labour south of the border, and it won't gain any Labour seats anyway; the SNP is just too strong. It's far better to sit on their hands and wait for the inevitable tide of disillusionment, tan to spend limited political capital in the here and now. In the meanwhile Labour MSPs can just tend to day-to-day matters and hold the fort.

SLAB decided that they wouldn't want to go for indipendence when brexit kicks off so that's the end of that i guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

These days with SSDs I'm not so worried about boot times but I do leave one machine on with all my chat clients etc.
If you use IRC like all the cool modern people then you can set up a bouncer like ZNC on a small low power machine like a raspberry pi and then leave that on, and just log into that with any other machine.

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah this one seriously.

Also don't buy your PSUs from the local computer shop in my experience.

Unless you enjoy watching the back of your machine explode.
Some bad PSU manufacturers have got really creative with the PFC requirements.

Here's a fake PFC choke made of cement with a single half turn of wire.

HorseLord posted:

And in 1992 we were long past BASIC and into proper computers with multitasking and (extremely loud, expensive) hard drives.
A lot of office systems then were in the form of terminals with some limited local processing, they'd take about a couple of seconds to self-test before logging on to the always-on mainframe. Most home computers by volume were still 8-bit C64/Atari unless you had a ton of money to drop. Most people didn't back then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

Man that was like four news focuses ago. poo poo's going fast at the moment.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Man that was like four news focuses ago. poo poo's going fast at the moment.

Some scrubs sleep at home and work at work.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'd quite like the royals to throw away all their privelege forever tbh

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

Some scrubs sleep at home and work at work.

:O

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you dilute Charles' privileges he just becomes more powerful.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Speak for yourself, I was still rocking an Atari ST around then. :colbert:

The ST had multitasking and expensive, noisy hard drives.

e: Oops, multitasking was a Falcon/TT thing.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 27, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

If you dilute Charles' privileges he just becomes more powerful.

the rat gently caress had better not abdicate, I want a republic before we all die of global warming so we at least won't be so embarrassed in hell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sion posted:

Yeah. I just found out about this and it is pretty eyerollingly stupid on all fronts. The head of international estates for a charity saying that a three year old looks like a loving dickhead and needs to check their white privilage is dumb as gently caress but then again so is bringing in the police?

Someone else did the insults, she just commented on it and stated the obvious about elitism and the royal family. Then kapparomeo got upset

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If computers in the early 90s weren't hot garbage, id would have gone under 15 years ago and looking glass would have just put out a hit followup to a beloved franchise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

If you use IRC like all the cool modern people then you can set up a bouncer like ZNC on a small low power machine like a raspberry pi and then leave that on, and just log into that with any other machine.

Ya I know, I just haven't decided if I'm going to make my Pi a microserver or dashboard insert. Decisions, decisions.

Guavanaut posted:

Some bad PSU manufacturers have got really creative with the PFC requirements.

Here's a fake PFC choke made of cement with a single half turn of wire.

I've gotta admit electricity and magnetism is absolutely not my subject - how does a PFC work and how does the choke aid this?

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I suspect not when he moved in, since he's likely been there for the majority of the 30 years he's served as Islington North's MP.

Corbyn went to a private fee-paying preparatory school followed by some weird state-funded grammar school run by the Haberdashers' Company, while Smith went to his local comp. So if we're arguing about who's posher, I think it's Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The ST had multitasking and expensive, noisy hard drives.
I still had an 800XL back around then. No multitasking and expensive, noisy floppy drives.

You could solder something together to access an IDE hard drive via the cartridge bus if you really wanted, but you only got half the capacity at any one time because it was 8-bit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Paxman posted:

Corbyn went to a private fee-paying preparatory school followed by some weird state-funded grammar school run by the Haberdashers' Company, while Smith went to his local comp. So if we're arguing about who's posher, I think it's Corbyn.

And yet if you look at who's the bigger tit...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Paxman posted:

Corbyn then broke up with his wife over not letting his son suffer the same fate.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

tooterfish posted:

She was hailed as a genius because they're 100% guaranteed to gently caress it up and destroy their own careers, not because they're the best people for the job.
Yes but who cares about their careers? I care about Britain not becoming a lovely backwater. Grats to May, she's handed three people the rope to hang themselves with and all it cost us was billions of pounds every year forever. Truly a masterstroke. We got rid of the mice in our loft and all it required was the demolition of our house!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paxman posted:

So essentially they're both class traitors but only one is the good kind (c.f.r. Benn, Tony)

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Less about who's posher and more that comparing the cost of owning a mansion in Surrey to a London house that was probably reasonably priced before the housing market boom of the last 30 years that saw London prices gallop is a bit off when the owner moved in pre-housing boom.

https://twitter.com/Unjum4Streatham/status/758146854735446016

Edit: I was hoping for the top of the page but this is too neat not to share.

47 years ago today.
https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/status/758126112287383552

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zephro posted:

Yes but who cares about their careers? I care about Britain not becoming a lovely backwater. Grats to May, she's handed three people the rope to hang themselves with and all it cost us was billions of pounds every year forever. Truly a masterstroke. We got rid of the mice in our loft and all it required was the demolition of our house!

Tory policy to a T, really.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
De lurking incase anyone else is experiencing this: my 25 has not been taken in order to vote. Registered and gave card info within stated timescale

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tessiebee posted:

De lurking incase anyone else is experiencing this: my 25 has not been taken in order to vote. Registered and gave card info within stated timescale

Definitely send an email asking them what can be done about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I've gotta admit electricity and magnetism is absolutely not my subject - how does a PFC work and how does the choke aid this?
Basically switch mode PSUs suck in creatively different ways to most electronics, part of how they regulate voltage is just by switching it on and off very quickly, so the power factor is bad. The power grid expected a nice sine wave load from most things in a residential household. Instead they got this poo poo:

There's two ways of fixing that, passive Power Factor Correction, which is just a large number of turns of wire around an iron core, creating a magnetic choke which isolates some of the PSUs noise and other bullshit from the mains by giving it a steady DC bus to run from.

That works well for PSUs under a couple hundred watts, but beyond that the size and weight of the iron core becomes prohibitive, so you're supposed to use active PFC for everything over 150W (iirc) now, which works by using another switch mode PSU to create a stable 450V or so DC line for the main PSU to run from, unskewing some of its bullshit.

The important thing to remember is that the PSU doesn't need any PFC at all to work, the PFC is just there to protect the power grid equipment from adverse loading and your own equipment in other plugs from line noise. So like libertarians and externalities, you can guess what the first part to be hosed about with is.

• Locked thread