Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, that sort of base may exist, but, that still wouldn't work for it as a handheld unit. You need the controllers to be part of it, because otherwise you have to set the screen part up somewhere and have the controller in your hands, which wouldn't really work for a handheld-type portable system. Like, if the controllers were entirely separate from the unit like you're describing, how would you play it the way you do a 3DS?

It would have its own controls, and when you're home separate controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

detachable controllers are actually really smart on a handheld because now if you bust an analog stick or something you don't have to wait around for your whole console to come back from repairs

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If the eurogamer mockup image is accurate I will feel cool af when i disconnect the controller from the portable unite and then connect them together to form the home-mode controller.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If the eurogamer mockup image is accurate I will feel cool af when i disconnect the controller from the portable unite and then connect them together to form the home-mode controller.

:same: but i'll probably never plug mine into the tv

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

hopeandjoy posted:

Maybe I'm not are ~hardcore gamer~ enough, but I don't get the point of analog triggers and clickable analog sticks.

Also, I never had a problem with the circle pad, personally.

Analog Triggers arent useful for everything, but they are god sends in stuff like Driving games.

Clickable Sticks is a way to add two function buttons that work A: Without adding more real estate to the face of the controller, and B: without taking your thumbs off the sticks.

The Circle Pad has a terrible range of detection. It made playing games like Smash more uncomfortable and annoying than it needed to be.

I dont understand why Nintendo keeps getting a pass on having control light hardware. For handhelds yes, there are some concerns about how much function you can put in a pocketable machine, but if the NX really is a hybrid of console and handheld, they dont really have the excuse to throw in of saving space. Most games made post 360 ps3 have used a standard set of controls. Its not unrealistic to expect that after 11 years of mainline consoles having a certain set of functions that nintendo might fall in line.

Its awkward as gently caress playing 3d games in the year 2016 without a second stick. It also seriously limits what controls you can give a player when you dont.

Does it need clickable sticks? No.

Will it even have a second analog stick? Who the gently caress knows. Its nintendo. Dollars to donuts the thing will have motion controls of some sort, but its a absolute wild card guess if it will have two analog sticks. Nintendo doesnt fall in line. They arent even at the same venue.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

Was just thinking the leaks specified detachable controllers and all reporting and speculation has been saying the handheld unit has detachable controllers, which would have a cool use case but frankly to me doesn't seem like it could possibly be ergonomic or practical. Wouldn't it make much more sense if the controllers detached from the base?

It certainly doesn't make sense from that picture in the article, but they did mention it was a mockup they made. The Wii U gamepad felt great in the hands, but the 3DS is an ergonomic nightmare so it's a coin toss if we are actually going to get something comfortable to play. "Detachable controllers" certainly doesn't make sense to my brain when thinking about ergonomics or something that doesn't make some serious concessions to standard controllers.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

give us the MARIO LAUNCH TITLE nintendo you rear end hole

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Someone do something funny with the mock up so I can update the OP.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
everyone thought the gamepad would be a pain to hold but it turned out to be real comfortable, so i have faith in nintendo to make comfy controllers

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Raserys posted:

everyone thought the gamepad would be a pain to hold but it turned out to be real comfortable, so i have faith in nintendo to make comfy controllers

me too. splatoon feels completely natural on that thing, and nintendo's d-pads are always fine and dandy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Raserys posted:

But they have never made a comfy handheld. Maybe the first GBA.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

greatn posted:

But they have never made a comfy handheld. Maybe the first GBA.

Nothing says comfy like a hinge in your grip.

Why the gently caress cant anyone make a comfy handheld gaming device? Neither nintendo or Sony can get it right.

PSP and VIta loving grip nightmares.

GBA SP and DS lite variants: WOULD YOU LIKE TO HOLD MY HINGE?

2ds: I hear the aliens on zarboz 3's hands bend this way!

3ds and 3ds XL: HINGE 2: SON OF HINGE

Gameboy Micro: A handheld for ants

GBA: We will give you comfort and a migraine from staring at the dark screen.

Like i dont remember the game boy color being uncomfortable but i was also 10 and a dumb poo poo at that age. I was just happy to be playing Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think the original gameboy was probably the most comfortable one. there's something so reassuringly weighty about a brick

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Maybe your hands are just stupid?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Talkc posted:

I wanna hold your hiiiinge
I wanna hold your hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinge

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 27, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Talkc posted:

Why the gently caress cant anyone make a comfy handheld gaming device? Neither nintendo or Sony can get it right.

PSP and VIta loving grip nightmares.

2ds: I hear the aliens on zarboz 3's hands bend this way!

3ds and 3ds XL: HINGE 2: SON OF HINGE

Gameboy Micro: A handheld for ants

GBA: We will give you comfort and a migraine from staring at the dark screen.

Like i dont remember the game boy color being uncomfortable but i was also 10 and a dumb poo poo at that age. I was just happy to be playing Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

So you're saying I already have the best handheld ever made? :haw:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

alf_pogs posted:

i think the original gameboy was probably the most comfortable one. there's something so reassuringly weighty about a brick

It was both a pleasant and entertaining passtime, and a handy self defense method.

Back to the NX: If this thing runs breath of the wild, my secret dream wish is to see a Sandlot game on it. If we can get a EDF port onto it like the vita has, i might never put the thing down.

Thats the thing that killed me about Sony's Vita. It was almost perfect.

Except for that glaring awful Proprietary loving Memory. 100 loving dollars for a 32gb card is what killed the vita in the west. Thank god stuff still trickles in, but its disheartening to get a handheld with decent controls, an amazing screen, no worse battery life than its competitor, a loving great amount of power for a handheld... and see it sail off into the sunset in the face of yet another set of pokemon games and two nearly 20 year old zelda games.

I wont be entirely down on the 3ds though. It did give us two awesome Kirby games. So thats something.

Theres that loving elephant in the room every time someone talks nintendo hardware.

Third Party Support.

Maybe with the vita dying off, and no one else directly competing, Nintendo will pick up the market where sony left off and offer some Handheld PLUS type experiences. Thats why i bring up Sandlot, and all the other quriky devs who have released stuff on Vita. I want to see nintendo pick up that flag and run with it.

I get it. People buy Nintendo for the nintendo games.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

alf_pogs posted:

give us the MARIO LAUNCH TITLE nintendo you rear end hole

They will but it will just be mario maker levels that random people made.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Talkc posted:

Maybe with the vita dying off, and no one else directly competing, Nintendo will pick up the market where sony left off and offer some Handheld PLUS type experiences. Thats why i bring up Sandlot, and all the other quriky devs who have released stuff on Vita. I want to see nintendo pick up that flag and run with it.

those games are getting ps4/vita listing now for the most part. japanese devs see the writing on the wall

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Has Nintendo figured out how to do online ecosystems that don't suck balls? I haven't had a Nintendo machine since the DS/Wii, but back then it was prettttttyyyy tragic.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anothergod posted:

Has Nintendo figured out how to do online ecosystems that don't suck balls? I haven't had a Nintendo machine since the DS/Wii, but back then it was prettttttyyyy tragic.

the answer is both yes and no. they keep making some baffling decisions

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anothergod posted:

All licenses tied to amibo

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
You know, the idea that it is moving to cartridges for physical copies of things makes perfect sense and is pretty drat cool. Like, even if it wasn't a portable device having it use high capacity cards would be great. The reason why it is a good idea is because the main things that discs have over cartridges is size and price, but cartridges have things like lessened power consumption and faster load times. So if you were able to get equivalent storage space and similar cost, then yeah, cartridges would be a great thing to move to, especially because it would shrink the differences in load times between off of HDD and off of physical media.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm pissed that it's not a water jetpack tho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sd cards are dirt cheap compared to making a mobile disc reader in small form factor probably

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Real hurthling! posted:

Sd cards are dirt cheap compared to making a mobile disc reader in small form factor probably

That too. Also as the PSP proved, a disc reader on a portable device is kind of a terrible idea all around.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Is Nintendo working on an Animal Crossing game for the NX :ohdear:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Talkc posted:

the problem is, controllers are comfortable because they're ergonomic and shaped to your hands. handhelds need to be flat enough to pocket for portability. you cant ergonomic flatness

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm the nintendo nx

What games can you play

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kelp Plankton posted:

the problem is, controllers are comfortable because they're ergonomic and shaped to your hands. handhelds need to be flat enough to pocket for portability. you cant ergonomic flatness

And further if the controller is something that you can break off your handheld, hard to see how you'd make that comfortable. Over on gaf someone posted a mega thread of all the mock-ups people had come up with so far, they all sucked, though none of these were by Nintendo.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

wayne curr posted:

Is Nintendo working on an Animal Crossing game for the NX :ohdear:

They have a mobile Animal Crossing coming out so in a way, yes

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the mobile game is said to be a gateway to the full game and push players towards it, so almost certainly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The random Vita chat reminded me of something, I hope NX is region free.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hope they don't gently caress up virtual console on this one.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I would just like Nintendo to stop making me rebuy virtual console games on every loving device.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

japtor posted:

I hope NX is region free.

Rad Valtar posted:

I would just like Nintendo to stop making me rebuy virtual console games on every loving device.

But seriously, drop your hopes right now and lower your expectations -- it's less painful in the long run. Also, it won't summon the ghost of jivjov.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

What games can you play

What if I were to tell you what certan amiibos would work

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The NX doesn't actually use carts, you scan amiibos to get games

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The NX itself is just a giant amiibo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dunban posted:

The NX itself is just a giant amiibo

Does it have slots that can hold other amiibos?

• Locked thread