Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is it possible that if Hillary wins she'll only serve a single term?

I'm asking because I could kinda see her feeling like she's accomplished enough at that point, and would feel like the attacks from the right would be kinda exhausting at the end of 4 years.

I could very well be wrong, but I'm kinda curious.

e: This isn't a slam on her. I want to see her kick rear end for the country, but I'm unsure if she'd be able to take the pounding she'd get for 8 years considering she's been in the public eye for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

She's been handling attacks for a long while now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Motto posted:

She's been handling attacks for a long while now.

Yeah but for some reason I could see her mic dropping after a single term. This has been her target since the early 90's, no?

Kinda like how when an athlete finally wins a title after years and years of trying. Then goes "I'm done. Out guys". (Peyton Manning this year for example).A dumb comparison, but about the best one I could draw.

Also all the stories that have been told about Hillary working her rear end off for other people made me feel very :unsmith: about her. I think she'll be a great president. Maybe I'm an idiot that's easily impressed, but it's a helluva lot better than what the RNC has had to offer.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

If her health holds she'll go for a second term no questions. That being said she'll be 72 so that's not certain.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

obviously no one can predict 2020 from here. there will probably be a recession. on the other hand demographics will continue to improve for the dems. that's about all we know.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The emboldened white nationalist movement isn't going to die down with a trump loss, and they don't consider any party but the GOP to be legitimate, so while the demographics shift away from white dominance, the GOP will be dealing with a hundred David Dukes springing up

Of course the GOP could toss them to the curb and embrace minori-hahahaha sorry I couldn't get the whole way through that sentence.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Zas posted:

obviously no one can predict 2020 from here. there will probably be a recession. on the other hand demographics will continue to improve for the dems. that's about all we know.

Grass roots progressives also seems to be on the rise (Bernie, Warren, etc), and you'll see more of the DNC latch onto that.

The speakers we've seen over the last couple of days makes me believe we'll be in good hands. Bernie will NOT be in that field, but we'll probably see a lot of people ready to pick up the torch.

Not to mention that Hillary and Obama will have had 12 years to place people in decent places on the federal side of things.

If only we could find ways for us to take back the legislative side of things....

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zas posted:

But there's no guarantee it will be as catastrophic or lengthy as the Great Recession.

I think Hillary will face a tough climb to a second term. And the Presidency ages a person faster than nothing else. But she will also benefit from incumbency and hopefully, a quality record. Past that, it's pointless to speculate on her working towards a second term when we still have to fight for her first term.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Grass roots progressives also seems to be on the rise (Bernie, Warren, etc), and you'll see more of the DNC latch onto that.

The speakers we've seen over the last couple of days makes me believe we'll be in good hands. Bernie will NOT be in that field, but we'll probably see a lot of people ready to pick up the torch.

Not to mention that Hillary and Obama will have had 12 years to place people in decent places on the federal side of things.

If only we could find ways for us to take back the legislative side of things....

As I understand it dems would need to take back a lot of state level governments before the next redistricting in order to undo the gerrymandering. I'm not that well informed on the specifics though.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is it possible that if Hillary wins she'll only serve a single term?

I'm asking because I could kinda see her feeling like she's accomplished enough at that point, and would feel like the attacks from the right would be kinda exhausting at the end of 4 years.

I could very well be wrong, but I'm kinda curious.

e: This isn't a slam on her. I want to see her kick rear end for the country, but I'm unsure if she'd be able to take the pounding she'd get for 8 years considering she's been in the public eye for so long.

You cannot be a first and only serve one term, even if you chose not to run again. It can be looked on as an admission of failure, a feeling she isn't really up to the job. As the trailblazer for women US presidents, she needs to serve two terms, same as Obama as first African American president.

I don't think it's opportunism, positioning herself as one in a long line of women to do amazing things, she likely does see herself that way. It doesn't matter what they do to her, she will stick to this job because it is about more than her.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 27, 2016

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Lightning Knight posted:

But there's no guarantee it will be as catastrophic or lengthy as the Great Recession.

I think Hillary will face a tough climb to a second term. And the Presidency ages a person faster than nothing else. But she will also benefit from incumbency and hopefully, a quality record. Past that, it's pointless to speculate on her working towards a second term when we still have to fight for her first term.

The thing people are forgetting here is that Hillary winning sets up an absolutely incredible set of circumstances that will help make her workload and decision-making that much easier -- her husband is a former two-term POTUS and one of the most popular ones in history. If she's looking for advice over an issue or decision, all she has to do is draw on the experience of her husband.

She'll set her own course and her own path. And she'll have Bill freaking Clinton beside her every step of the way. The First Gentleman having had her job mitigates so many levels of questions and concerns that it's almost transcedental.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

acejackson42 posted:

The thing people are forgetting here is that Hillary winning sets up an absolutely incredible set of circumstances that will help make her workload and decision-making that much easier -- her husband is a former two-term POTUS and one of the most popular ones in history. If she's looking for advice over an issue or decision, all she has to do is draw on the experience of her husband.

She'll set her own course and her own path. And she'll have Bill freaking Clinton beside her every step of the way. The First Gentleman having had her job mitigates so many levels of questions and concerns that it's almost transcedental.

Not to mention that by all accounts her and Obama get along great now so that's two extremely well liked former presidents she can lean on.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also she will have her throne, built from the carefully shaped form of a carbonite frozen Donald Trump, to lean on

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to mention that by all accounts her and Obama get along great now so that's two extremely well liked former presidents she can lean on.

See, first there's Obama. Fantastic orator, person, statesman. The guy we see day-to-day in the White House, running the country.
Then there's Campaign Obama. Transcedental orator, ultra-charismatic person, spectacular statesman. The guy we see when there's an election at stake and he has to crank it up a notch.
Tonight, we're going to see DGAF Campaign Obama. I have no idea how to describe that man other than it's going to be some prime political watching. Like, holy shite prime. Someone who has done everything he can to help people in the face of unprecedented obstructionism and hatred and has taken the high ground as POTUS every step of the way.
I really hope he just lets loose and cranks the whole mess to 11. People need to hear and see that as much as anything right now.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

acejackson42 posted:

See, first there's Obama. Fantastic orator, person, statesman. The guy we see day-to-day in the White House, running the country.
Then there's Campaign Obama. Transcedental orator, ultra-charismatic person, spectacular statesman. The guy we see when there's an election at stake and he has to crank it up a notch.
Tonight, we're going to see DGAF Campaign Obama. I have no idea how to describe that man other than it's going to be some prime political watching. Like, holy shite prime. Someone who has done everything he can to help people in the face of unprecedented obstructionism and hatred and has taken the high ground as POTUS every step of the way.
I really hope he just lets loose and cranks the whole mess to 11. People need to hear and see that as much as anything right now.

open the obama gates

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

acejackson42 posted:

DGAF Obama is "ordering at a restaurant Obama"

When he can finally just be himself, and speak his mind, without anything holding him back, that would be a sight to see.

We won't see it tonight, but his close friends will see it after a few bourbons tonight. Obama will straight-talk the gently caress out them, and we have to hope and pray for a leaked video from 2017 of Obama letting loose on his 2008 problems before we could ever see that happen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

acejackson42 posted:

Part of me hopes for a :unsmith: 2004 speech, which would be in keeping with the tone of this convention (more or less) so far.

The other part is hoping for some prime-grade "The Audacity of This Stub-Handed Jackass O'Lantern Right Here" making GBS threads-on from great height. I mean, this rear end in a top hat is the source of the birther horseshit he had to deal with, someone whose been making poo poo up about him for years, someone who he already done told to sit the gently caress down at least twice. He's got every right to light Trump and the GOP up like a set of klan-hooded christmas trees and by god it'd be a long time coming and the perfect occasion.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

thecluckmeme posted:

When he can finally just be himself, and speak his mind, without anything holding him back, that would be a sight to see.

We won't see it tonight, but his close friends will see it after a few bourbons tonight. Obama will straight-talk the gently caress out them, and we have to hope and pray for a leaked video from 2017 of Obama letting loose on his 2008 problems before we could ever see that happen.

I would love to see him just unload after eight years of Republican bullshit in the classiest way possible to remind people that no, this is not normal and both parties are not the same.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like the narrative this morning for the BoB people is that the delegate walkout was enormous and brought the whole thing to a stand still. Normally I'm silent, but I felt this was very rude to Bernie on a big night for him so I have been pointing out that the delegate walkout hosed up and chose to walkout right after roll call, when every other delegate was also walking out to eat.

The showing at the place the walkout people were supposed to meet was <100

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Epic High Five posted:

Looks like the narrative this morning for the BoB people is that the delegate walkout was enormous and brought the whole thing to a stand still. Normally I'm silent, but I felt this was very rude to Bernie on a big night for him so I have been pointing out that the delegate walkout hosed up and chose to walkout right after roll call, when every other delegate was also walking out to eat.

Remember also, 100 people sounds like a lot until you remember he had 2000 delegates

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

And she was hanging around in the White House during Bill's presidency for 8 years. It technically doesn't count as experience but I think it very obviously will give you some insights to be that close to the process for so long. I don't think there will be much of a learning curve or surprises for her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Remember also, 100 people sounds like a lot until you remember he had 2000 delegates

Also when you remember Hillary had drat near three thousand.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yep! Like, 5,000 delegates alone, not to mention guests and press and hangers on and security details that also would've been leaving at that time.

It was either a brilliant time to stage a walkout or a dumb one, I'm not actually sure

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Epic High Five posted:

They are just so determined to inject drama into this convention to make to "equal" to the Republican one. All so they can point to this as being a super-crazy election from both sides rather than admit that the problem is almost entirely from the Republicans.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Geostomp posted:

They are just so determined to inject drama into this convention to make to "equal" to the Republican one. All so they can point to this as being a super-crazy election from both sides rather than admit that the problem is almost entirely from the Republicans.

Oh this is all BoB people on social media reposting links from lunatic Bernie biased sites as far as I can tell. Main news sites seem to have given up on trying to pick specific stuff apart and have fallen back to the background noise concern trolling

My guess is a lot of news orgs put reporters out in the hurly burly and at the walkout site and they got jack poo poo for things to report on, so they're moving on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean christ, there were admitted anarchists in gas masks wandering around staking the place out and then it all just kind of...dispersed. Low energy. :sad:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Yep! Like, 5,000 delegates alone, not to mention guests and press and hangers on and security details that also would've been leaving at that time.

It was either a brilliant time to stage a walkout or a dumb one, I'm not actually sure
If you can't tell the difference between a political action and going to lunch, I don't think it could be considered a brilliant move.

Hell, if that's all it takes, I'm going to go on strike for a half hour today at noon. Maybe 45 minutes, depending on the line at the bagel shop. I'm sure a pay raise and better health benefits will be awaiting me upon my return.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thecluckmeme posted:

Tempting, but I doubt it. Obama's been excruciatingly careful to avoid anything that so much as sniffs of Scary Black Man, even speaking to sympathetic audiences. He'll most likely give a fantastic speech, sure, but I suspect that if and when we ever see Obama truly let loose about the anger and frustration he's undoubtedly been keeping on lockdown throughout his presidency it will be at least a year or two from now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thecluckmeme posted:

You mean an arrogant blowhard with a deep love for money, corporate interests, and telling people what's best for them? Think we've been seeing that awhile now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Inferior Third Season posted:

If you can't tell the difference between a political action and going to lunch, I don't think it could be considered a brilliant move.

Hell, if that's all it takes, I'm going to go on strike for a half hour today at noon. Maybe 45 minutes, depending on the line at the bagel shop. I'm sure a pay raise and better health benefits will be awaiting me upon my return.

I'm guessing it means you can then claim more people were associated with your walkout than actually were? Like, Bob from accounting just wanted a burger, but now he's being counted as part of the strike, at least for your media purposes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cythereal posted:

Tempting, but I doubt it. Obama's been excruciatingly careful to avoid anything that so much as sniffs of Scary Black Man, even speaking to sympathetic audiences. He'll most likely give a fantastic speech, sure, but I suspect that if and when we ever see Obama truly let loose about the anger and frustration he's undoubtedly been keeping on lockdown throughout his presidency it will be at least a year or two from now.

If there's one thing I can describe about Obama's speaking style, it's definitely "measured". We'll see if that's how he normally speaks or if it is just a defense against racists like you said.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
It's cool, he can just bring Luther.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You mean an arrogant blowhard with a deep love for money, corporate interests, and telling people what's best for them? Think we've been seeing that awhile now.

Tell us more about how you think Obama is uppity. :allears:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

I saw a lot of this narrative on my Facebook from sore winners on team Hillary, up to and including people saying "when trump wins, I hope you think it's worth it, Bernie" about the walkout and Monday's booing, as if the GOP didn't have the first and second runners-up in open revolt against the candidate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bushiz posted:

I saw a lot of this narrative on my Facebook from sore winners on team Hillary, up to and including people saying "when trump wins, I hope you think it's worth it, Bernie" about the walkout and Monday's booing, as if the GOP didn't have the first and second runners-up in open revolt against the candidate.

Yeah, the comparison is Bernie personally putting Hillary's name into nomination versus Cruz straight up refusing to endorse during a headliner speech slot and like basically everyone else other than Rubio and fat reek refusing to even speak.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Tell us more about how you think Obama is uppity. :allears:

I already told you that he's arrogant, what do you want?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I already told you that he's arrogant, what do you want?

How is he arrogant, though? If anything he seems rather humble.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He knows what's good for you, anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

computer parts posted:

If there's one thing I can describe about Obama's speaking style, it's definitely "measured". We'll see if that's how he normally speaks or if it is just a defense against racists like you said.

I suspect that it is how he normally speaks. There were articles by black men in political and business positions of power from the moment Obama started his first presidential campaign talking about how controlled and calm Obama is, and how that is something every black man who starts climbing the ranks does and must learn, and learn until it's distinctive. Black men in the United States as a rule cannot show much in the way of emotion due to the specter of the Scary Black Man among other negative stereotypes about openly emotional black people. I don't think we'll see Obama stop giving a gently caress until it would no longer have an effect on the state of politics.

Obama getting up on that podium tonight and being visibly angry and frustrated absolutely would get plastered all over the internet and media about the ooga booga gorilla pounding his chest from now till judgement day, and he knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FAUXTON posted:

Part of me hopes for a :unsmith: 2004 speech, which would be in keeping with the tone of this convention (more or less) so far.

The other part is hoping for some prime-grade "The Audacity of This Stub-Handed Jackass O'Lantern Right Here" making GBS threads-on from great height. I mean, this rear end in a top hat is the source of the birther horseshit he had to deal with, someone whose been making poo poo up about him for years, someone who he already done told to sit the gently caress down at least twice. He's got every right to light Trump and the GOP up like a set of klan-hooded christmas trees and by god it'd be a long time coming and the perfect occasion.

making GBS threads on Trump and the GOP from great height and with full power is probably going to be the job of Diamond Joe. Obama is probably going to clown on the GOP in the periphery but mostly focus on Hoping the gently caress out of anyone within the sound of his voice while being the hypest of hype men for Hillary. HOPE has been the theme of the DNC in opposition to the RNC message of FEAR.

• Locked thread