Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

WickedHate posted:

The Ferengi were meant to be the original main opponent race of TNG, replacing the Cold War Russian Klingons and Chinese Romulas respectively with the evils of capitalism. Which, don't get me wrong, capitalism sucks, but man the Ferengi were a poor execution. So by the time DS9 rolls around they introduce a Ferengi main character with a lot of hidden depths as the show goes on, but starting with season one of DS9 the Ferengi, as a whole, are pretty much just comic relief, going from Captain Planet villains to a species of Mr. Krabs.

Certainly the Ferengi were a poor execution since all I've heard about them were "Space Jews" or whatever crass accusations of anti-Semitism the Internet threw at Roddenberry. I'm not sure if that's fair since his purported political views match up with the intention of creating the Ferengi as a strawman race for capitalism.

Now, more importantly, what the gently caress is this guy about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
TNG s1 is cartoony in general and bad, but fun. Too much senile roddenberry, best thing he did for TNG was die

Be on the lookout for Rikers high kick fight with the admiral, it's beautiful

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The biggest change from late season 2/early season 3 is that when Michael Piller came aboard he said that every storyline needed to be about a character. It's really obvious, going back, the way season 1/2 scripts often aren't about anyone but are just drifting events which the crew are reacting to, very different from the TNG pattern we got used to later.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Yeah, the tone of the first two seasons can be all over the place because the story was so often unmoored from the characters. There are a bunch of episodes with really interesting premises that end up feeling not-TNG because none plot was propelled by the main crew.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But really even with the gradual development of the Ferengi they were never again as goofy as they were in that first episode, all shambling around and hissing like Gollum. We never see those weird energy whips again, do we?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Data Graham posted:

But really even with the gradual development of the Ferengi they were never again as goofy as they were in that first episode, all shambling around and hissing like Gollum. We never see those weird energy whips again, do we?

We do, in Enterprise :unsmigghh:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Quark has a a Ferengi hero action figure with one as an accessory too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Nazareth posted:

He shows up a couple more times. Then you'll understand.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Quark has a a Ferengi hero action figure with one as an accessory too.

It wasn't NRFB though so it wasn't worth as much.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Nazareth posted:

Certainly the Ferengi were a poor execution since all I've heard about them were "Space Jews" or whatever crass accusations of anti-Semitism the Internet threw at Roddenberry. I'm not sure if that's fair since his purported political views match up with the intention of creating the Ferengi as a strawman race for capitalism.

right now, getting real creepy about Wesley

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is your reminder that "The Inner Light" will probably make you bawl your eyes out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Star Man posted:

This is your reminder that "The Inner Light" will probably make you bawl your eyes out.

When Paramount auctioned off all that Star Trek stuff years ago, Patrick Stewart lamented that he didn't bid on the flute.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Beyond spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXGpyJNNcYM

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nazareth posted:

Certainly the Ferengi were a poor execution since all I've heard about them were "Space Jews" or whatever crass accusations of anti-Semitism the Internet threw at Roddenberry.

It's been argued in previous Trek threads that the Bajorans, Cardassians, Federation, and Ferengi are all Jews In Space in some way. The Klingons could be the ancient Israelites, arguably.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just got back from Beyond and I have to agree, they made a decently good movie this time. Pretty enjoyable and all of the action sequences actually had a point in the plot rather than just...being there. It's still not without it's faults, but at least it's a coherent movie rather than IDs mess.

I could actually see myself wanting to rewatch this one rather than be ashamed of owning it (as is the case with ID.)

Hopefully the 4th movie, if they end up making it, won't be a revenge plot again though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nazareth posted:

When you set out to make a strawman ultra-capitalist and they end up looking like something that fell out of a 1930s Germany anti-Jewish poster, well, quacks like duck people gonna say duck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also you cast 90% jewish actors...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Data basically turning to the audience and saying "These guys are 19th century America" in their first appearance was too subtle for some people I guess.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Finally saw Beyond, it was great... decided to watch the Voyager episode "The Swarm" when I got home....

Man, the swarm of ships that Voyager encountered was downright neighborly in comparison.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Grand Fromage posted:

Data basically turning to the audience and saying "These guys are 19th century America" in their first appearance was too subtle for some people I guess.

Of course, you know who really ran 19th century America...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Of course, you know who really ran 19th century America...

The Stonecutters?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
After seeing Beyond again I'm dialing back my initial good impression quite a bit. The cast really was great and a lot of elements are there but all three new movies just leave me with a general dissapointment. They really could have been something if they weren't first and foremost summer action movies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not disclosing the villain's real motivation until the end of the 3rd act was a bad decision, IMO

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the old Earth soldier kept alive by alien war lostech was an interesting foil for once.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the old Earth soldier kept alive by alien war lostech was an interesting foil for once.

Could have made a nice little point about how that alien society ultimately wiped itself out through its endless warmongering and that a greater unity really is the only way forward.

Edit: Make Jala a post apocalyptic descendent of the race that built the stuff Krall found and give her some lines about how we "destroyed ourselves seeking strength and fighting others".

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 27, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think mostly I was just overjoyed that Beyond had a coherent plot that was also fairly original and not a complete ripoff of something else. And they had a creative, clever way of beating the bad guys, not just pew pew lasers.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

sunday at work posted:

After seeing Beyond again I'm dialing back my initial good impression quite a bit. The cast really was great and a lot of elements are there but all three new movies just leave me with a general dissapointment. They really could have been something if they weren't first and foremost summer action movies.

My man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, although they completely forgot to explain much of the deal with that. All we found out about that planet was that it was an abandoned mining camp and that one weapon originated there.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think mostly I was just overjoyed that Beyond had a coherent plot that was also fairly original and not a complete ripoff of something else. And they had a creative, clever way of beating the bad guys, not just pew pew lasers.

Same. They made a passable Star Trek movie with action elements. That's really okay! We need those Enterprise Mine and Doomsday Machine and Juggernaut episodes. They give texture to the really cerebral ones.

But you need to have the Trek underpinnings. Into Darkness and Nemesis didn't have that, in my opinion. Beyond did. Or at least it tried.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'll be honest, I'd have been happy if the movie had just been two hours of panning around Yorktown.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Mr. Jive posted:

Same. They made a passable Star Trek movie with action elements. That's really okay! We need those Enterprise Mine and Doomsday Machine and Juggernaut episodes. They give texture to the really cerebral ones.

*dies waiting for another "really cerebral" Star Trek story in any official audiovisual medium*

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MikeJF posted:

I'll be honest, I'd have been happy if the movie had just been two hours of panning around Yorktown.

I was on a balcony at an ultrascreen with a hangover and I was very happy when Yorktown stopped spinning around me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I was on a balcony at an ultrascreen with a hangover and I was very happy when Yorktown stopped spinning around me.

I was in IMAX 3D with a fancy new laser projector and it was astonishing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yorktown was awesome. Easily the coolest thing in the film. The new uniforms were sweet, too.

Pine has really nailed movie Kirk, it's a really naturalistic set of acting choices which evoke so much of what I like from Shatner in the films. The standout performance to me.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yorktown was awesome. Easily the coolest thing in the film. The new uniforms were sweet, too.

Pine has really nailed movie Kirk, it's a really naturalistic set of acting choices which evoke so much of what I like from Shatner in the films. The standout performance to me.

I'm good with Pine and most of the cast really but I'm shocked that they still have no idea how Spock works or what his appeal is. Quinto plays Spock like a big dummy who thinks he's fooling everyone about his emotional state via his awful poker face. It's painfully obvious that Spock is emoting in every scene he's in, when those moments should be reserved for...oh, I dunno, every 4th episode or so? The smile at the end of Amok Time wouldn't be so great if Spock weren't completely inscrutable 99% of the time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm good with Pine and most of the cast really but I'm shocked that they still have no idea how Spock works or what his appeal is. Quinto plays Spock like a big dummy who thinks he's fooling everyone about his emotional state via his awful poker face. It's painfully obvious that Spock is emoting in every scene he's in, when those moments should be reserved for...oh, I dunno, every 4th episode or so? The smile at the end of Amok Time wouldn't be so great if Spock weren't completely inscrutable 99% of the time.

Good to see that I'm not alone in thinking that Quinto is kind of a lovely Spock. Most of the time he just comes across as an angry, passive aggressive dick. He's more likable and less of an rear end in a top hat in this one, though. Nimoy's Spock works so well because he's very subtle. Quinto has no subtlety.

Like... I kind of feel like Tim Russ's Tuvok feels more like Spock to me than Quinto's. And Tuvok pulls off the "really hates you but keeps it contained" thing a lot better. That's probably because he really loathes Neelix and it works because the audience really loathes Neelix, too. Tuvok gets along okay with almost anyone not Neelix.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 27, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It doesn't help that he loses his cool completely at least once per movie he is in. He comes across as more emotionally unstable than any of the other characters in the films. Part of it has to be on writing, because I doubt he has much say regarding that, but he really is pretty terrible even when he is supposed to be in full Vulcan mode. Any time someone talks to him he seems to go all defensive.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 27, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CharlieWhiskey posted:

, wrote Douglas Adams.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

remusclaw posted:

It doesn't help that he loses his cool completely at least once per movie he is in. He comes across as more emotionally unstable than any of the other characters in the films. Part of it has to be on writing, because I doubt he has much say regarding that, but he really is pretty terrible even when he is supposed to be in full Vulcan mode. Any time someone talks to him he seems to go all defensive.

Yeah. People often say "oh, well he saw this planet get blown up and his mother die!" but I don't really feel like that's a good excuse. Nimoy Spock would almost definitely shed a tear but still try to remain stoic. The only times Nimoy Spock would have a full-on meltdown is if he was going through Pon Farr or if something weird was screwing with his brain chemistry.

Like, the whole appeal of Spock's character is that he's inscrutable and very cool, calm and collected at nearly all times. Even in the face of death. He's not the life of the party, but also not too hard to get along with unless you're Bones and you deliberately try to provoke him, only for him to turn around and lay down some sick ice burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It suffers from only being these three movies. Nimoy Spock showing an emotional reaction to Kirk's death or Vulcan being destroyed doesn't feel out of character to me but those wouldn't be the only two events we'd seen in his existence.