Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as you don't mind their fairly meandering approach to plot, sure. They all play pretty similarly so.
That only applies to 2-4 though, Dragon Quarter is almost entirely different and is very much a love it or hate it game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am firmly in the Love It camp but it's been so long that might be a bit rose-tinted

Once I understood what was going on and how to abuse SOL and the D-Counter I was on hook

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Colonel posted:

are pretty much all of the breath of fire games after the first one worth playing?

2 not really, 3 is good and has the coolest Dragon mechanics but it also has a fairly painful encounter rate, 4 is worth playing for the story because dark JRPGs are fairly rare, Dragon Quarter is worth playing to see what you think about it.

Endorph posted:

dragon quarter: some people really like its weird mechanics but it has weird mechanics that are hard to understand and punish you pretty severely for slight missteps. by 'punish you pretty severely' i mean 'make you play the entire game again'

The only thing you really need to know about DQ beforehand is to not use your Dragon stuff unless it's absolutely necessary, I never restarted the game and got through it fine in one go. It's not a great system, but as long as you're aware of that one fact it's all good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
BFIV definitely. It hits all the notes in terms of story, gameplay mechanics and features some of the best handrawn animation I've seen in a videogame

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kanfy posted:

3 is good and has the coolest Dragon mechanics but it also has a fairly painful encounter rate

Very much agreed. I recently played through it for the second time and while it has a generally light, charming story and some neat fights, the encounter rate is atrocious and the game would have been well-served by dropping it down 50% and stopping them altogether in areas the player has outleveled. It made me realize the encounter switch in Bravely has really spoiled me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

BFIV definitely. It hits all the notes in terms of story, gameplay mechanics and features some of the best handrawn animation I've seen in a videogame

Yeah, if the translation was a bit better (it's not incomprehensibly bad or anything) it would be drat near perfect.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails in the Sky is no slower than any other RPG

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Really Pants posted:

Eh it doesn't have that 'button - awesome' connection like some I can think of....

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Really Pants posted:

It's a good game, but it definitely has a slower start than RPGs on average.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I appreciate that there's one game that doesn't pretend the Dark Lord's final victory is imminent while you spend twenty hours collecting crafting bullshit or clearing out optional dungeons

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 27, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Really Pants posted:

SC, maybe. But FC is pretty much a super long prologue. And the games are really wordy, which probably doesn't help for some people.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really, though, that kind of is the appeal for those that like that game. Like it can obviously just not be your thing but it felt 100% intentional.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just found Trails to be super slow and overly wordy in a bad way, and I'm the kind of guy who can easily forgive those things if done well. I felt Trails didn't.

It was mainly the combat that killed it for me though, it was boring as poo poo. Thing is all it probably really would have needed to keep me playing is that element from Earthbound and Persona 4 where weak enemies run away from you instead of ambushing you and wasting your time.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 27, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You have 100% run chance :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That really does seem to be the sticking point for a lot of people. Myself, I really don't think it's a RPG that's appreciably slower than its peers. At the very least it was a battle system I was perfectly content to just zone out for and kill some mooks every now and then. I felt compelled to at least in the sense that if you avoided enemies too much I was worried I'd be too low on sepith. If you get advantages by attacking enemies in the back you can usually kill them pretty quickly enemy.

You do get quartz that help you avoid enemies but I don't recall how late into the game that is. Haze, I think?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Disgaea 1- I only just remembered that stealing gets easier if your thief-whatever the class's name is- is a higher level than the enemies you're trying to rob.

Should I do some fights with lower leveled enemies and steal their stats first or just go straight for levels?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phew, okay, random battles on Hard mode in Bravely Second are pretty tedious. This game might finally make me shake my habit of just picking a difficulty mode and sticking to it in games--I'm generally pretty reluctant to switch the difficulty mode back and forth while I play. But as much as I'm enjoying the tough bosses, the battles are just a pain in the rear end with their 50% more HP and sometimes having drat-near-one-shot attacks making me Default constantly.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Nate RFB posted:

That really does seem to be the sticking point for a lot of people. Myself, I really don't think it's a RPG that's appreciably slower than its peers. At the very least it was a battle system I was perfectly content to just zone out for and kill some mooks every now and then. I felt compelled to at least in the sense that if you avoided enemies too much I was worried I'd be too low on sepith. If you get advantages by attacking enemies in the back you can usually kill them pretty quickly enemy.

You do get quartz that help you avoid enemies but I don't recall how late into the game that is. Haze, I think?

There's two quartz: one makes enemies avoid you. The other (found at the end of the game) makes it so enemies ignore you outright even when you're engaging with them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Slur posted:

There's two quartz: one makes enemies avoid you. The other (found at the end of the game) makes it so enemies ignore you outright even when you're engaging with them.

There's another that lets you see monsters at any distance. You can get it by the end of Chapter 1, and by itself it's enough to let you easily avoid fights you don't want to bother with.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 27, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanfy posted:

2 not really, 3 is good and has the coolest Dragon mechanics but it also has a fairly painful encounter rate, 4 is worth playing for the story because dark JRPGs are fairly rare, Dragon Quarter is worth playing to see what you think about it.

The only thing you really need to know about DQ beforehand is to not use your Dragon stuff unless it's absolutely necessary, I never restarted the game and got through it fine in one go. It's not a great system, but as long as you're aware of that one fact it's all good.

When I played Dragon Quarter, I didn't use the dragon transformation at all (except the one time the story forces you to when you first get it) until the final dungeon. It made some of the boss fights a little harrowing but it was never all that tough. I loved the hell out of that game, though.

If anyone here does play Dragon Quarter, I recommend looking up how to do the "basically infinite save tokens" trick. It does sort of defeat one of the things the game is going for, with making you get yourself stuck and then start over much stronger and see new scenes, but I know few people are going to have the patience for that approach and "cheating" the game to give you as many permanent saves as you want basically lets you play it like a normal JRPG.

Also seconding people's recommendations of Breath of Fire 3 and 4. I think 3 is probably more well-loved overall, but I personally like 4 more. It's visually gorgeous, has more enjoyable combat than 3, and has one of my favorite JRPG antagonists of all time. Oh, and a :krad: soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSAqplG8Jg

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Is Cold Steel similar to Trails in the Sky in the wordiness department?

I'm gonna pick up one of them after I beat Valkyria Chronicles but I haven't decided which yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'd say it's about as wordy, and the writing generally isn't as good as Sky's, but they did improve the combat in a lot of ways.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm gonna pick up one of them after I beat Valkyria Chronicles but I haven't decided which yet.

It's got a fuckton of dialog. Pretty much every time you talk to an NPC after any event, their dialog changes. Combat is improved, faster and if you're notably stronger than an enemy on the map, you can instantly kill them by hitting them with your weapon once after you've stunned them.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Really Pants posted:

I'd say it's about as wordy, and the writing generally isn't as good as Sky's, but they did improve the combat in a lot of ways.

Thanks. Based on visuals alone, the look of Cold Steel appeals to me a bit more, but I think I'll start with Sky anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Trails series do have one recurring character who's incognito during Sky, and then Cold Steel gives away their real identity almost immediately. It's the only part of Sky that CS actually spoils.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

The Trails series do have one recurring character who's incognito during Sky, and then Cold Steel gives away their real identity almost immediately. It's the only part of Sky that CS actually spoils.

Do the other big spoilers in SC come to play in CS at all?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not really, though I'm not finished with it yet. They just refer to "that incident in Liberl" a couple of times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Trails in the Sky but it is *slow as poo poo* unless you ignore sidequests which feels lovely to do.

Quests like "put on these sneakers and walk across the map" just feel like a giant-rear end waste of time and are the opposite of fun and ToCS is much improved by how faster it is to get around.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That's why you do the sneakers quest while you're running other errands instead of focusing just on it for some weird reason

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Terper posted:

You have 100% run chance :shrug:
Yeah, but enemies still ambushed and did decent damage to you even though they weren't worth fighting at all so it felt like this sloggy death of a thousands cuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

That's why you do the sneakers quest while you're running other errands instead of focusing just on it for some weird reason

Oh boy, if only it wasn't the last sidequest I took for that area.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does Trails in the Sky literally quiz you on setting factoids like "what is the population of the capital"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Does Trails in the Sky literally quiz you on setting factoids like "what is the population of the capital"?

Yep. As part of a teaching sidequest IIRC.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Crabtree posted:

So does Black Rose Valkyrie have any hope of actually being like a weird Trails/Tales of game made by Compile Heart or have I been duped hard?

Endorph posted:

Iunno, it's got a decent shot? It doesn't seem like there's any fanservice mechanics or anything and it seems to be playing its premise basically straight. Who knows if the writing will hold up that end of the deal but it doesn't seem like it'll be a gag game.
So the game came out in Japan and... I can't actually tell first impressions because it's getting review bombed. Something about one of the VAs being the Tales Of artist's wife. Even Famitsu joined in on that. It got so bad they patched the game to add an option to mute just the one character.
Actual videos make it seem on the lower of their mediocre games though. And it does have fanservice elements in the usual dumb destructible clothes mechanic, for both male and female party members.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah geez please dont let this lead to a multipagr discussion

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Caphi posted:

There's a sidequest in SC's Chapter 1 where Estelle has to lecture about bracers at a Sunday school. It's a callback to Schera's lecture about bracers at the very beginning of FC. Most of the answers you need to know are right on the front page of your bracer notebook.

Cold Steel is the one with all the quizzes about setting factoids.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The japanese hate the tales of artist or something?

On the Trails discussion, I played on ppsspp which is literally the fastest way to play it and the combat still felt long.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
And here I thought Black Rose Valkyrie was just the one with the evil split personality sleeper agent gimmick.

Really Pants posted:

There's a sidequest in SC's Chapter 1 where Estelle has to lecture about bracers at a Sunday school. It's a callback to Schera's lecture about bracers at the very beginning of FC. Most of the answers you need to know are right on the front page of your bracer notebook.

Cold Steel is the one with all the quizzes about setting factoids.

I remember three! One in Nord that was, weirdly, country kids wanting to know every boring detail about civilization; one sidequest that was tutoring some kid for his test that straight up said "go to the library and study these books before you come"; and an actual midterm where there were seven subjects or something and you can only study for three of them in any given playthrough. I assume there is also a final.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It basically is. I didn't see anything about that clothing thing till looking up gameplay.

Tae posted:

The japanese hate the tales of artist or something?
So I looked into it and they hate his wife for being a cosplayer turned VA he got married to in some crazy shotgun wedding and are accusing her of nepotism. It's dumb as hell.
Anyway

Davincie posted:

ah geez please dont let this lead to a multipagr discussion
Better end this here then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Colonel posted:

are pretty much all of the breath of fire games after the first one worth playing?

Did you think Breath of Fire 1 was worth playing?

I would say no for 1, 2, and 3. They're average RPGs. 3 is a game that's kind of generically bland, has a painful encounter rate, and has godawful required mini games. It's one of the RPGs that I think is most hurt by having a mute protagonist because your characters don't interact much with each other. Unlike let's say Suikoden.