Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dunban posted:

The NX itself is just a giant amiibo

griffin is in for one bad day in the future :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Real hurthling! posted:

detachable controllers are actually really smart on a handheld because now if you bust an analog stick or something you don't have to wait around for your whole console to come back from repairs

Yeah, just play your video games like a normal human being.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PBS Newshour posted:

griffin is in for one bad day in the future :smith:

I unsubscribed after he lied to our faces about the twilight wolf Link Amiibo. I hope when he turned himself in they threw the book at him.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

pixaal posted:

Does it have slots that can hold other amiibos?

In the butt, yes

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

pixaal posted:

No, it has four slots and you need to cough 3 amiibos into each slot. Then the NX turns into the amiibonator and shoves Grunty off the battlements.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

greatn posted:

I unsubscribed after he lied to our faces about the twilight wolf Link Amiibo. I hope when he turned himself in they threw the book at him.

my friend he pay for his crimes in the vr zone and has found religion in the great wheel

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Black Mage Knight posted:

That too. Also as the PSP proved, a disc reader on a portable device is kind of a terrible idea all around.

I still loving love that optical discs were such an ingrained part of Sony's DNA that they actually released a loving portable console that used them. The PSP owned.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I still loving love that optical discs were such an ingrained part of Sony's DNA that they actually released a loving portable console that used them. The PSP owned.

Imagine I linked the YouTube video of a dude trying to boot up the wrestling game that takes like 7 minutes to get into the first match from cold start.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really want to watch SuperMetalDave's response. He bet the credibility farm on the NX being exactly not this.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

Imagine I linked the YouTube video of a dude trying to boot up the wrestling game that takes like 7 minutes to get into the first match from cold start.

This reminds me of Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. My friend had it for PSX, I had it for N64. It would piss him off so much when I'd show him how I could literally flip the power switch and be into a game in about 7 seconds. His PSX took several minutes to do the same thing

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ilu nintendo

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

This reminds me of Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. My friend had it for PSX, I had it for N64. It would piss him off so much when I'd show him how I could literally flip the power switch and be into a game in about 7 seconds. His PSX took several minutes to do the same thing

if i was your friend i would have just asked you repeatedly how long it takes final fantasy 7 to boot up on the n64

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

the nx is going to launch with a new metroid, to go along with zelda

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, if this thing just hooks up to TV's, I wonder if it also can just hook up to PCs ( or just Monitors, I don't see why it wouldn't do that. ) without issue.

That'd be real loving rad. Basically like hooking up a Ps3/Ps4 controller, but in this case the controller also brings the games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

if i was your friend i would have just asked you repeatedly how long it takes final fantasy 7 to boot up on the n64
the answer is why would you want to play final fantasy 7 on anything

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

The Ur-Miibo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

irlZaphod posted:

the answer is why would you want to play final fantasy 7 on anything

Myth confirmed: People who like Nintendo don't like good games.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
How long does the Playstation take to boot Superman 64? :smug: :smugbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Some of us didn't like Nintendo or Final Fantasy VII. A lot of us were playing Quake at the time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Some of us didn't like Nintendo or Final Fantasy VII. A lot of us were playing Quake at the time.

I feel sorry for you because it ran like rear end on the PSX. Never played the 64 version.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nintendo NX leaked picture

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I like handhelds and liked the WiiU controller screen so I could play poo poo comfortably while my gf watches something on tv. Making a slightly better WiiU that capitalizes on that, and with more dev focus, sounds pretty nice. IMO I thought the WiiU was a great step up in terms of the power of Wii, where everything was non-HD and fuzzy as poo poo.

Games like Mario Kart 8 and 3D World were good testaments as to how beautiful Nintendo could make an HD game in 60fps while not having the architecture of even the Xbone. Think of how great Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, etc will look and feel on a bigger controller with full HD grafix, and with potentially the same portable aspects. The only thing really holding them back is the games themselves--2014 was the last big year for the company. They'd absolutely need to nail the release schedule this time, as it has been atrocious since the Wii. I don't want to buy a console if it's only going to put out 3 to 4 good games a year, if even that (Unless it's like a 2014-caliber year of straight gold.) If they can do that then nobody will give a poo poo about the power if it can chug out a beautiful HD Metroid at 60fps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Emily and gaf were just sharing some article saying the price is lower than you'd think, really mass market.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm curious to see how they handle an analog stick on a portable device. They pulled it off with the 3DS but that pad still isn't as nice to use as a stick.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm curious to see how they handle an analog stick on a portable device. They pulled it off with the 3DS but that pad still isn't as nice to use as a stick.

I'd be pretty happy with something basically comparable to a PSVITA, but that doesn't really seem like Nintendo's MO.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, just play your video games like a normal human being.

portable systems endure a lot of rough treatment in bags, childrens hands, etc.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

I feel sorry for you because it ran like rear end on the PSX. Never played the 64 version.

The definitive version of Quake was on the Saturn, where it was remade in the Powerslave engine just as Carmack originally intended.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
If they don't launch it with Sun/Moon and Virtual Console versions of a bunch of the old pokemon games and get Pokemon Company to send out alerts on Pokemon Go about it then it feels like they will have missed an amazing chance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr Cheeto posted:

What games can you play

overwatch

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Brinty posted:

If they don't launch it with Sun/Moon and Virtual Console versions of a bunch of the old pokemon games and get Pokemon Company to send out alerts on Pokemon Go about it then it feels like they will have missed an amazing chance.

they'd be pretty dumb to not immediately start working on something for the nx that is a full fledged pokemon game that interfaces with go somehow or otherwise enhances the pokemon go experience which means they almost assuredly are doing nothing of the sort, and we can look forward to the exact same goddamned game but now in hd and you can play on your TV at least

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Boten Anna posted:

they'd be pretty dumb to not immediately start working on something for the nx that is a full fledged pokemon game that interfaces with go somehow or otherwise enhances the pokemon go experience which means they almost assuredly are doing nothing of the sort, and we can look forward to the exact same goddamned game but now in hd and you can play on your TV at least

Oh, for sure. If the NX is actually portable, they will be fools to not make like the next gen of Pokemon after Sun/Moon on it. Even X/Y was already pushing that hardware to the edge.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh, for sure. If the NX is actually portable, they will be fools to not make like the next gen of Pokemon after Sun/Moon on it. Even X/Y was already pushing that hardware to the edge.

the problem is they generally release a pokemon game for last gen around when the new gen comes out, then there's no pokemon game for the new gen for a couple years into it. and then it has like one new feature or gimmick and not much else has changed.

while it would be silly to include gps and cell service or something so the NX can play pokemon go directly (or expect people to tether) I see no reason they couldn't let pokemon go connect to it at the base, or even let it take your nx with you pokemon hunting and the go app connects to the nx via bluetooth or adhoc wifi or something and let you do enhanced gym battles or import pokemon you find or get pokestop bonuses in both games or something, but no way in hell Nintendo can bang out something like this for launch or even 1 year from now :(

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

Emily and gaf were just sharing some article saying the price is lower than you'd think, really mass market.

It's almost certainly going to be more expensive than a N3DSXL, but if they go over the price of a PS4 I feel like a lot of people would balk at that price.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

anothergod posted:

Has Nintendo figured out how to do online ecosystems that don't suck balls? I haven't had a Nintendo machine since the DS/Wii, but back then it was prettttttyyyy tragic.

If this is going to be a "play anywhere" console, they really need for it to have Bluetooth and good WiFi this time.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

It's almost certainly going to be more expensive than a N3DSXL, but if they go over the price of a PS4 I feel like a lot of people would balk at that price.

If Nintendo made something more expensive than the PS4 it had better be better than the PS4, and based on current speculation, it's not really. I also doubt that any unforseen gimmicks will be particularly expensive, as I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson from the Wii U gamepad. No way it costs more than US$299, they knew $349 was a loving stupid price point when the U came out and they made the lovely "Basic" edition and gave you a bunch of free eShop credit (if you buy things on the eShop) for paying $349 as a kind of weird apology.

Nintendo can make some bizarre mistakes repeatedly but I don't think they'll fall for this one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Giant Bomb thinks that the screen will not have touch. I'm skeptical that they would leave out touch on a portable in 2017 but they make a pretty good case for why it would be extraneous on the system as described by eurogamer on this weeks podcast.

like if you're at the tv and have it docked with the controller arms popped off to play from the couch, you aren't using it as a second screen or even anywhere near it, and if you are using it mobile you don't have a tv to do second screen so there would be incongruities in gameplay across the two modes that are a recipe for developer neglect and wasted potential. therefore they propose the whole experience is unified around 1 screen and physical inputs in either config.

not that nintendo has a trackrecord of cutting out unnecessary poo poo though.

how much would ditching touch save on cost?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

A bit, but I doubt they will. If they keep touch, they can make ports of their mobile games to the NX (as Wall Street Journal is claiming to be the case) so they get more people on their own ecosystem and less on iOS/Android and their 30% cut.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Dexo posted:

Why would it be the Death of the Second Screen.

It could potentially mimic a WiiU when hooked into a TV With the controllers being connected to a screen and rendering whatever is on the gamepad on the portable part while the game is on the TV. And then when it's in portable mode it's just treated like playing WiiU gamepad with one screen.

Yeah but the portable part is most likely wired to the television which makes using it kind of a pain unless you regularly stand in front of the tv when you play stuff. Maybe it'll ship with a 20 foot hdmi cable

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whaley posted:

Yeah but the portable part is most likely wired to the television which makes using it kind of a pain unless you regularly stand in front of the tv when you play stuff. Maybe it'll ship with a 20 foot hdmi cable

it will probably have a charge dock/upscaler box with the hdmi out on it to save bulk on the handset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So what does this reveal mean for the cluster rumor? Are we still looking at possibly making a more powerful NX with add ons?

• Locked thread