Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Akuma posted:

The best place is in Sully's boss room because there's no enemies and it's like right there.

An earlier one that's really good is the first one in the game, where you get the deep axe, Just get the gate open and leave him living, and you have access as soon as you get the paladin's ashes and have some free souls to spend on them

I've started trying out speed runs because I hate my life. My first attempt was a str broadsword guy because I thought Anri would be to hard to kill so I did it that way and finished in 2:53 (I died a lot). Second try was Anri's. It was not quick, and I came within a butt hair of dying, but I got him dead on the first try. I had to drop off the cliff edge 4 times with that spell but finally a tree-spear undead and I tagteamed him until he was dead. I died in a few inopportune spots and had to slay a couple invaders, and I grabbed a few items I didn't need, but I got 'er done in 2:12:45. (On PS4) Has anyone broken 2 without too much trouble? I know I can do better but 13 minutes better sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The world record is 36:43 so technically yes, but that record has lots of glitching and collision abuse involved

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

The world record is 36:43 so technically yes, but that record has lots of glitching and collision abuse involved

yeah, I watched that last night to try and pick up a few tips, didn't see much that I could use but I did find it highly amusing how broken the game really is. I think if I turn off multiplayer, don't die against more than 1 boss (I dropped once to Aldrich, Crystal Sage, Giant King, the end boss and most pathetically the chalice boss) and stay contented with a +3 Anri's I instead of going to +5 I can beat 2 hours, I just need to be more patient against the bosses.

edit: I lost twice to the Dragonslayer Armor too

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
So my favorite part of DS2 was the power stancing - can anyone recommend one of the twin weapons for me? Early availability is a bonus.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So game+ question. I just beat the last boss and it leaves me in a room with a bonfire. I used the bonfire, traveled back to the hub and then I can just go about doing whatever. So how do I end the game proper?

Edit : might not have been last boss

strategery fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2016

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

strategery posted:

So game+ question. I just beat the last boss and it leaves me in a room with a bonfire. I used the bonfire, traveled back to the hub and then I can just go about doing whatever. So how do I end the game proper?

Edit : might not have been last boss
Reunite the Lords with their thrones.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ThermosAquaticus posted:

So my favorite part of DS2 was the power stancing - can anyone recommend one of the twin weapons for me? Early availability is a bonus.

Sellsword twinswords are really nice and it's mercenary starting weapon, good scaling on DEX.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a +5 Rotten Blood Ghru sword with 35/37 bleed and poison and it's pretty fast - but I don't seem to ever proc either on the enemies. My luck is at 18 now and I will be pumping it through the game, presently at Yhorm as the final one of the four. What am I missing?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Mixing the damage types isn't really worth it. Poison is pretty crummy - try to get a weapon that plays nice with bleed, as it loving wrecks a lot of enemies.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I've got a +5 Rotten Blood Ghru sword with 35/37 bleed and poison and it's pretty fast - but I don't seem to ever proc either on the enemies. My luck is at 18 now and I will be pumping it through the game, presently at Yhorm as the final one of the four. What am I missing?

Use carthus rouge with bleed builds and not the infusion.

Also, I am not sure if is as viable as it was, but you could grab Anri's sword which has pure physical damage that scales with luck. A side effect is your bleed proc increases with luck too, so when you used carthus rouge on it you'd get a drat good bleed with drat good base damage on a drat good longsword moveset. It was really overpowered, though I believe they nerfed the bleed on it, I've not attempted it post nerf so maybe another goon can chime in

Edit: They nerfed the AR but not the bleed. took roughly an 8% damage nerf. Still a solid weapon.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 27, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

gently caress, so I've got 40 dex and the remainder split among 10 STR, minimum usable health and the rest to luck - so I should respect to full luck and get his sword + carthus rouge it up? I spent a LONG time farming Warden Twinblades with no luck :(

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

gently caress, so I've got 40 dex and the remainder split among 10 STR, minimum usable health and the rest to luck - so I should respect to full luck and get his sword + carthus rouge it up? I spent a LONG time farming Warden Twinblades with no luck :(

er, well I dont think using carthus rouge on anri's pratical for pve, the anri sword was more of a pvp/bosskiller thing.

Keep grinding those twinblades :(

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgRp-GIkMZI&t=179s
brb ordering DS 3 on steam

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Stick til the ending for this one

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

There are a couple of really good luck weapons apart from Anri's and the twinblades: the Carthus Curved Sword and the dual-wield katanas. If you respec you should give yourself 30 luck, then at +10 your weapon and your offhand item (both hollow infused) will add 10 luck to give you 40. The Carthus Curved Sword is much better two-handed so you can use it that way with only 12 str. The twin katanas need 13 str anyway so you can just stay at 13 str. I personally like a hollow Caestus as my offhand because it weighs .5 units and can parry, but some shields can also be hollow infused.

The twinblades, carthus sword and katanas all do slashing damage, whereas Anri's does normal damage which can be much better against some bosses, especially ones who cannot be bled. It's worth having for those situations. A good alternative would be a hollow Broadsword, it will give similar damage if for some reason you can't get a hold of Anri's.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does anyone know what the parry timing is like for offhand curved swords, and whether weapon parries are 360 in the way that shield parries are?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Stick til the ending for this one

I thought I posted this already.

Lautrec is NOT one of my best m8s :mad:

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
Any of you way-better-than-I pvp'ers wanna do me a favor and offload some of your embers on me?
I'm doing a SL1 run and I'm out of embers and Soul of Cinders is being a hella' rude dude.
I'm Rahtas on steam - any amount would be appreciated! Trying to farm them from lothric knights in lothric castle is not fruitful at all do far.
I will say, though, SL1 is way easier than All-Bow run!

Tl;Dr - I'll do lurid acts for embers, toss me some, please! Rahtas on steam.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!

Paracelsus posted:

Does anyone know what the parry timing is like for offhand curved swords, and whether weapon parries are 360 in the way that shield parries are?

Parried with sheld are 360? As in, you dont have to be facing the attacker? That's news to me, and awesome. If you're good enough at parries and are surrounded you could make this game into batman/arkham style combat!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

all parries are 360 degrees, damned if I know why

don't know about curved sword timings, but no one has ever tried to parry me with one so I assume they suck at it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rahtas posted:

Any of you way-better-than-I pvp'ers wanna do me a favor and offload some of your embers on me?
I'm doing a SL1 run and I'm out of embers and Soul of Cinders is being a hella' rude dude.
I'm Rahtas on steam - any amount would be appreciated! Trying to farm them from lothric knights in lothric castle is not fruitful at all do far.
I will say, though, SL1 is way easier than All-Bow run!

Tl;Dr - I'll do lurid acts for embers, toss me some, please! Rahtas on steam.

Cant you go sunbro an early boss?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

*three year old child points to dark souls*

"Daddy, is that the gently caress?"

:same:

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!

Bombadilillo posted:

Cant you go sunbro an early boss?

I've tried, but I can't. I have multiple +10 weapons. I'm guessing, due to matchmaking systems in place, that because of my +10 weapons I can't be matched with typical beginners, and due to being level 1 I can't be matched with typical end-gamers.

So I would guess I can only naturally find other fools like me doing a SL1 run, or hook up with people via password.

The good news is, it's irrelevant at this point. I beat all the bosses! Wooooo!
Now to put that on my resume and lock in that 7 figure job...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
While nobody liked DS 2, at least DS 2 changed the game in new game +'s. DS 3 is the same poo poo over and over with zero variation, unless you count damage spongier enemies to be variation.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Tons of people like DS2. It just has an annoying circlejerk where redditors cry about elevators on an endless loop.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
DS2 was great and it's tragic that 3 doesn't have ascetics or NG+ changes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DS2 is my favourite of the series. I've replayed it the most, and Scholar of the First Sin was the shake-up it needed. drat shame it split up the playerbase so badly though.

So It Goes posted:

Tons of people like DS2. It just has an annoying circlejerk where redditors cry about elevators on an endless loop.

lmao if you think that bitch is confined to reddit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

lite_sleepr posted:

While nobody liked DS 2

the gently caress

DS2 is my favorite besides Bloodborne.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I dislike DS2 most of the three I've played, but that isn't particularly damning as I'm having trouble actually wanting to play Dark Souls 3 at all. I think I might just want to play Bloodborne endlessly.

I also can see the good game in Dark Souls 2, I just burned out at the Ivory King and Nashandra as I'd beaten everything else and just didn't feel like doing either fight because they just seemed boring. Which is a point in Dark Souls 3 favour, as I actually finished the drat thing.

Ultimately though all Souls games are good by virtue of not being Lords of the Fallen, which I played before any of them and I very quickly learnt that it was not good.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, i always figured the "DS2 is pure trash and killed my dog" wailing was just the usual internet/youtube comment hyperbole of a whiny vocal minority. 2 and 3 are pretty much equal to me and most friends i talked to with various subjective strengths (2's mechanics and DLC, 3's password coop and boss design). 1 was a pretty good entry point and has that novelty/nostalgia bonus for many, but I tried going back a few times and it's just so dated and downright horrific from a technical viewpoint in comparison. Though after a dozen playthroughs and some challenge runs there's probably just not much to go back to for me.

They all have a ton of retarded/added/removed poo poo you can nitpick over (see thread title). And of course these subjective comparison are always in a context of "if you can play them all anyway, they're all worth it".

And presumably (hopefully?) 3 still has substantial DLC on the way, considering 1 and 2's DLCs are some of their best content.

That's still happening, right?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 30, 2016

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I don't like 2 much, can we have a long argument about it please?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I liked how giant 2 was, feels like a large-scale RPG heavily inspired by Dark Souls 1 and it's the absolute tits

3 was a neat and polished corridor with amazing boss fights that got stale reeeeal quick

bloodborne is just awesome, so awesome that 3 tried to be BB so bad but it failed

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

While nobody liked DS 2, at least DS 2 changed the game in new game +'s. DS 3 is the same poo poo over and over with zero variation, unless you count damage spongier enemies to be variation.

Like I said in the 2 thread, tons of people like 2 the best, but the people who don't are ridiculously vocal about it

Your opinion on 2 largely comes down to whether you value deeper gameplay mechanics that give you more options, over a much more fully realized setting and connected level design (dark souls 1). Or, I dunno, something about 3 because in hindsight I can't think of a whole lot of things it felt like 3 really nailed to me, besides the bosses in the first half of the game. I actually really enjoyed the bosses up through skeleton or so. Then after that it largely went back to the classic big-dude-with-big-weapon fights that are a huge spike in the difficulty curve and come at a much faster rate than I enjoy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The bosses in the second half of 3 are one of its best attributes though. Dancer, Armor, Nameless, Twin Princes, and especially Soul of Cinder are miles ahead of the last few bosses you fight in DS1 or DS2. It has a much stronger finish than it does a start.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yeah the start (minus gundyr) is a bit of a wet fart isn't it?

of course a wet fart from FS is still a welcome aroma

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

skasion posted:

Dancer, Armor, Nameless, Twin Princes, and especially Soul of Cinder

These are exactly the kind of bosses I find uninteresting, while I love treemendous and the pope union

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KingSlime posted:

yeah the start (minus gundyr) is a bit of a wet fart isn't it?

of course a wet fart from FS is still a welcome aroma

Yeah. Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep in particular is a colossally boring zone to actually go through despite having a pretty interesting layout and a lot of content. The game doesn't really do much interesting until you get to Abyss Watchers. Of course, DS2 has the same problems with the start, but it had the excuse of not knowing which way the player was going to go at first, so like half the pre-DLC game is starting areas.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I loved all dark souls and demons Souls. I enjoyed 3 slightly less because it ran like poo poo on my old computer(which runs ds2 at highest settings at 60fps) and that was really frustrating and kind of tainted my experience. Running back to twin princes and having my pc freeze for 16 seconds every time I turned around at the dragonslayer armor everytime makes dying and having to do it again a lot more grating. It also makes dying because you turned the camera towards the wrong side of the arena and dropping from 50fps to 3fps for several seconds infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yikes that sounds borderline unplayable