Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

GaistHeidegger posted:

I kind of feel like the lack of a pre-painted option is hurting it; I'd probably jump on being able to buy a pre-painted set myself, but I am never ever going to have the time to paint a huge set of modular terrain.

I'unno, a dungeon is one of the easiest things to paint if you don't mind drybrushing a lot of grey on it. Assuming you just wanted it painted, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Merauder posted:

Yeah, they're looking at restructuring it and probably relaunching altogether. It's a solid enough game, and the designers (the Sadlers) have a lot of good reputation, but the layout of the campaign I think put off a lot of people. Hopefully they improve it with whatever they're doing going forward.

I think what's hurting it more is that they're trying to fund it less than four months after Mantic's TWD game and have to base it on the show which has started a decline in popularity on top of pissing off most of the still loyal fans with that last cliffhanger.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone post Reflections yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/496783700/reflections-a-game-of-dueling-samurai/description

It's a really neat little idea, a game focused entirely around dueling and telling a story of a relationship and all. Just 10 bucks to get the PDF+stretch goals level, and like many neat Kickstarter tabletop games there's a One Shot episode with the creator if you wanna hear it

http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/158-reflections/

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think what's hurting it more is that they're trying to fund it less than four months after Mantic's TWD game and have to base it on the show which has started a decline in popularity on top of pissing off most of the still loyal fans with that last cliffhanger.

They've got a number of factors working against them in all honesty, the least of which is the time between it and Mantic's game I think. They're two very different games, and 4 months is a pretty substantial gap to expect people to have one-to-two hundred bones to throw down for their favorite brand. Their biggest issue is that they're constantly fighting an uphill battle against their reputation, which is less than stellar to the core gaming community. I don't agree with the degree of hate they get and think a lot of their stuff is better than what they get credit for, but regardless it's an issue, and one compounded by their first two KS offerings in Ghostbusters 1 & 2. Both games are fine, family-tier games with a great brand associated with it, but are NOT games for a core gamer audience, and people learned that quickly once they got the 1st game (notice the 2nd game's campaign was a lot less successful than the 1st). Couple that reality with the fact that they're expensive games with a lot of plastic in the box, and you've got a recipe for a mediocre response since more casual gamers are less inclined to drop $100+ on a game. No Sanctuary is much more gamer-y than GB is, without a doubt, but people I'm sure are gun shy after GB regardless, thus the slow roll this time around. They attempted to mitigate that by offering a no-plastic version in this campaign for a lower price point, but the reaction to that was pretty lukewarm. Plus I don't think all the stretch goal content was included in that pledge level, only some, making it less appealing overall.

There's also issues with content they're offering, which is to a degree limited by licensing contracts, but never the less something people have complained about. People want all their favorite characters from the show to be added in right away via stretch goals, and not in optionally purchased expansions (like the one with Michonne for example), and they just can't do that. They're tethered to a limited number of characters & actor likenesses featured in any given product, which is why so much of it has to be explicitly rationed out into separate entities.

They chose not to do any pre-marketing for the campaign, instead launching dark like they did with GB1, and hoped to catch lightning in a bottle again. Instead they had several people in the first days who complained about not knowing it was coming, and would have saved backing money from more recent campaigns they backed (as in weeks too close together, not the 4 month gap with Mantic). Subsequently they've had some great press vouch for the game with Rahdo, Man vs Meeple, and others, but otherwise haven't done a ton to promote it outside the campaign its self, which only reaches people who have already backed. The licensor (AMC) hasn't been particularly cooperative with helping promote the game it looks like, which would certainly have helped reach new people outside the aforementioned core gamer audience, which is really what they need anyway, so that sucks.

The short term campaign wasn't ideal either, ending the campaign at the end of this month, a few days before Gen Con starts where they intend to heavily demo the game. That was likely a financially driven decision, not a marketing driven one, since it doesn't make any drat sense why they wouldn't want the campaign still running throughout Gen Con.

I will agree that in general however, the hype around the show/brand is declining and that is kind of a factor here, but I think that could have been mitigated by not running the campaign in the complete dead months between active seasons.

So yeah...just a ton of stuff working against the campaign. Hopefully whatever they announce today improves things, be it a total overhaul, or a relaunch, or whatever.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

How's the quality? I was mildly interested in it but not quite enough to drop money, so I'm curious as to how good the build on them are.

OK got it home and it assembled pretty easily. It works well enough though the googly eyes in the front need a little sanding as there's just enough friction to stop the top ramp closing naturally. No glue needed, though I might do so anyway if I ever get around to painting it for double duty as scenery :D

The freebie objective marker was neat too though a little less precise as the tabs at the bottom didn't quite slot into the base. But I can't really fault it as it looks neat and was free!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Zweihander, a WHFRP 1e retroclone: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg

I've never played WHFRP but I am kind of interested. I'd thrown in a few bucks but the $20 tier is an art free early access pdf rather than the full deal most kick starters do at that price.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

FastestGunAlive posted:

Zweihander, a WHFRP 1e retroclone: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg

I've never played WHFRP but I am kind of interested. I'd thrown in a few bucks but the $20 tier is an art free early access pdf rather than the full deal most kick starters do at that price.

I've been following this a bit but the tiers are kind of badly priced, and considering I just threw in on a bunch of KSes in succession I might have to pass based on that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FastestGunAlive posted:

Those price tiers are poo poo. The only way to get a full digital version is to buy a physical version, and not just any physical version, a hardcover version, also $40 for a softcover add-on, plus a promise that they'll raise that price later?

Avoid.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh my god, someone's trying to make a game based on Bitcoin. :lol:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
He posted a thread on Reddit so I dropped him a comment on the tiers, hopefully enough people will draw attention to it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh my god, someone's trying to make a game based on Bitcoin. :lol:

If this had a different theme I'd buy it, depending on the cards. But bitcoin? No

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

He posted a thread on Reddit so I dropped him a comment on the tiers, hopefully enough people will draw attention to it

Also the "kickstarter limited run" stuff annoys me. I'd like to have the option of purchasing a game, even in a regular vs limited edition. Sometimes I just don't have cash to spare when a kickstarter rolls around. I'll gladly sacrifice a leatherette cover or what the hell else to be able to choose when to buy it.

He should just throw it on lulu if he has to. There are plenty of retroclones and games on there.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 26, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I thought this would be hitting it out of the park but I am surprised at how lukewarm interest has been.
There's not really much to do except back at $75 and wait for the better stuff to open up might be the thing?

Can't even buy the sweet minecarts yet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you're not going to use a traditional book printer there is no point in hitting up Kickstarter for money unless you have a hell of an art budget. If you're going to do like some kind of super fancy boutique print with real leather covers and gold leaf that's another valid option.

Otherwise, put up your own drat money for your heartbreaker/retroclone and sell it through a POD middleman. Take out some ads. If you want to be a real publisher act like it. If you don't want to be a real publisher then sell your drat book to one!

I am so sick of people using crowdfunding like it's a free candy bowl and then crashing and burning because they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kwyndig posted:

If you're not going to use a traditional book printer there is no point in hitting up Kickstarter for money unless you have a hell of an art budget. If you're going to do like some kind of super fancy boutique print with real leather covers and gold leaf that's another valid option.

Otherwise, put up your own drat money for your heartbreaker/retroclone and sell it through a POD middleman. Take out some ads. If you want to be a real publisher act like it. If you don't want to be a real publisher then sell your drat book to one!

I am so sick of people using crowdfunding like it's a free candy bowl and then crashing and burning because they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

i managed to sell about a hundred copies of a self printed book through kickstarter but I doubt I made any much money off it, and that's with doing my own art and every other drat thing. I have no idea how people who have to hire others to make any part of their book even stand a chance of getting paid.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Spiderdrake posted:

There's not really much to do except back at $75 and wait for the better stuff to open up might be the thing?

Can't even buy the sweet minecarts yet.

Yeah good point it is weirdly structured. A comment from reaper suggests the full mine cart will be two add ons as well!.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

They totally fixed the Walking Dead KS, adding a lower tier for the base game, incorporating both expansions into the previous main pledge (with early birds still available), and tacking on a ton of extra characters instead of holding them behind stretch goals. I'm a lot more satisfied with what they came up with now, but it's a shame they don't just restart. They have 6 days left but they'd probably make more if they relaunched.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In good news, Tenra Bansho Zero just might actually get Finished finished after all this time in the coming several months:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?786585-Did-Tenra-Bansho-Zero-ever-finish-releasing-the-KS-add-ons/page4

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

In good news, Tenra Bansho Zero just might actually get Finished finished after all this time in the coming several months:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?786585-Did-Tenra-Bansho-Zero-ever-finish-releasing-the-KS-add-ons/page4

I'm sorry, what?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Midlam Miniatures announced a new range of Apprentice Wizards which may be suitable for low level DnD campaigns or Frostgrave etc. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/wizards-apprentices-fantasy-figures-from-midlam-mi

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

YF19pilot posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Dude, stop hacking rpgnet.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I'm sorry, what?

This usually means your IP got caught up in RPGnet's spam filter somehow (IIRC a few ranges have been blocked because of spambots). If you send that image to admin.rpgnet at gmail and explain you're a real boy they should be able to fix you up. :v:

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

FastestGunAlive posted:

drat, that Slayer is really, really close to WFB/WFRP. Like...to the point where I can see a C&D happening.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ettin posted:

This usually means your IP got caught up in RPGnet's spam filter somehow (IIRC a few ranges have been blocked because of spambots). If you send that image to admin.rpgnet at gmail and explain you're a real boy they should be able to fix you up. :v:

Oh, I know what it's about. I get that with some websites, like Warlord Games (though I can access their online shop). Though from my brief readings of the grognards.txt thread, I'm not sure I'm missing much with RPGnet.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
BITBOX claims to be the future of board game storage, with a simplistic design that can hold up to 16 games per box. As much as I like my game boxes, nothing irks me more than trying to painstakingly balance them on top of each other. Plus trying to carry a crap-ton of boxes to friend's houses is always a recipe for disaster.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

BITBOX claims to be the future of board game storage, with a simplistic design that can hold up to 16 games per box. As much as I like my game boxes, nothing irks me more than trying to painstakingly balance them on top of each other. Plus trying to carry a crap-ton of boxes to friend's houses is always a recipe for disaster.

It has all those X-friendly shipping badges, but I can't exactly call $25 + $23 or $29 + $52 for basic pledges shipped to Canada 'friendly'. If you're not in the US you'll probably skip it on the S&H alone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm not sure why you'd want a WFRP1 retroclone when WFRP2 is straight up better in every way. It's not even like the switch from 2e to 3e where the system changed radically, WFRP2 is straight up just WFRP1 with better design and maths.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Also, Shadow of the Demon Lord exists and is a pretty good game

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drat, this looks like exactly what I need to manage my collection that's spilling out of the chest/display I just bought 6 months ago.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, Bitbox is pretty slick. I'm going in for one box, if nothing else because it is sized to fit into the IKEA Kallax shelves, and will be a way better way to store all the smaller/micro games I've got piled up in one cubby currently, and the one travel box could actually come in handy when doing various travel, not to mention just carrying stuff around to local game nights or whatever. Last December I shipped a 20lb box of games to my parents place where I was going to be visiting for a few weeks to make sure I had all my latest favorites with me. That travel box would have made that a lot easier.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 27, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Those price tiers are poo poo. The only way to get a full digital version is to buy a physical version, and not just any physical version, a hardcover version, also $40 for a softcover add-on, plus a promise that they'll raise that price later?

Avoid.

I don't know if they changed the tiers, but you get a full PDF version for $25.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Stewart Wieck is kickstarting a new edition of Greg Stafford's Prince Valiant RPG.This is a rules light game that uses coins instead of dice. I've never played it but I've heard good things. I am a fan of the comic, though and the prospect of getting a nice full color hardcover of Hal Foster art with a game attached sounds like a pretty good deal to me. This KS also seems to be partially funding a new edition of Pendragon, and you can get a copy as a reward too. The tiers seem quite reasonable.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Zweihander added a $25 tier which includes the full PDF of the final version so I'm willing to give them a shot

Gendail
May 23, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

drat, this looks like exactly what I need to manage my collection that's spilling out of the chest/display I just bought 6 months ago.

I've run out of room and now have the majority of mine in a storage unit.......

This may actually save me money every month.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

SilverMike posted:

It has all those X-friendly shipping badges, but I can't exactly call $25 + $23 or $29 + $52 for basic pledges shipped to Canada 'friendly'. If you're not in the US you'll probably skip it on the S&H alone.

That looks rad as gently caress but I'm also Canadian so gently caress it. Paying more for shipping.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bitbox looks pretty rad, but I gotta admit I'll be sad not seeing the game boxes. Whether or not the (geeky) aesthetic value of the boxes is worth the extra space...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
You could just set the boxes up for display without having to get them down every time you wanted to play.

I've backed way too many tabletop Kickstarters this past week so I ended up raising my Bitbox pledge to the $75 Early Bird tier. I'm gonna need a lot of storage.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GrandpaPants posted:

Bitbox looks pretty rad, but I gotta admit I'll be sad not seeing the game boxes. Whether or not the (geeky) aesthetic value of the boxes is worth the extra space...

Yeah, same feel for me. Alternate use for old boxes: cut off the sides and frame the covers as game room art.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Crosspost from the Warhammer thread.

Deino posted:

So, today a company called Tabletop Miniatures Solutions put up their Indiegogo for their alternative Tomb Kings (Undying Dynasties) line of models, designed to be used for the 9th Age. They could very easily be used for Kings of War and Warhammer, too. Here's the Link.

And here's a couple concepts to get people hype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Only registered members can see post attachments!