Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

abigserve posted:

I really like the hypermotard but I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Are the older models any better? They've been out for a while so you'd think they'd have fixed most of the issues already.

The ones with the air cooled monster engine are pretty solid because they're basically just an SM monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 1290 Super Adventure is a massive bike. I'm sure once you were moving the weight would disappear like it does on the 1190 Adventure but it was a bit too much for me. The S1000XR is also big but still in the range of manageable, imho.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The SA is the motorcycle-equivalent of a LDS edition Econoline or something. It is so tall and so wide and so long.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

The SA is the motorcycle-equivalent of a LDS edition Econoline or something. It is so tall and so wide and so long.

I think it's one of those bikes that proves bike journos are slightly out of touch with what makes a 'good' bike. Yes, it has a great engine and is apparently a phenomenal vehicle both on- and off-road but they tend to overlook the more practical aspects like it being the size of a bus and too tall for anyone under 6 feet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I think it's one of those bikes that proves bike journos are slightly out of touch with what makes a 'good' bike. Yes, it has a great engine and is apparently a phenomenal vehicle both on- and off-road but they tend to overlook the more practical aspects like it being the size of a bus and too tall for anyone under 6 feet.

To be perfectly frank, people under 6 feet aren't people. *hops on Kawasaki and slowly waddles away*

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I tried out the guzzi v7 over the weekend and decided I'm going to buy it.
It was manageable, not too crazy on horsepower but has good torque, and gets compliments easily. I am going to put on the OEM gel seat that lowers it by 1" to gain a little confidence, and plan on putting some engine guards and/or sliders after doing some research as to which people prefer for my model year.

The racer #7 bits aren't on the bike at the moment so I am just going to leave them off but all the original parts come with it (parts removed from tail tidy, original windscreen).

EDIT: I'm not a people, as evidenced by low seat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.
gets compliments easily.

Your decision making process summed up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have to ride to goddamn Whitehorse to get a compliment on the Uly.

Thanks fuckers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Your decision making process summed up.
A Guzzi V7 is still a much better buy than the speed triple.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

A Guzzi V7 is still a much better buy than the speed triple.

It's true, waiting for a tow truck to show up is a lot safer than a 130hp musclebike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not where I ride. :bears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

It's true, waiting for a tow truck to show up is a lot safer than a 130hp musclebike.

I'm so glad I have the best of both worlds. And since I am tall I can see the tow truck coming from farther away!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'd never have called the Big Striple a muscle bike. I mean I know bike classifications are tricky, but I'd say it was missing all of the normal defining characteristics of the type (big torque, relaxed rising position, handling entirely subordinate to those two things). If nothing else it's missing at least a whole Ninjette's worth of ccs to sit alongside the ZRX, VMax, Diavel, and every other bike in that category.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't think I really would have went though on the street triple after reading the specs.

From what I've read the V7 has a pretty simple design that is pretty reliable. It's a fuel injected 750 v-twin with shaft drive. I talked to a couple of people at the local cycle gear and the people he knew that owned them tend to hang on to them.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

JHVH-1 posted:

From what I've read the V7 has a pretty simple design that is pretty reliable.

It's Italian...

What the gently caress

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't think I really would have went though on the street triple after reading the specs.

From what I've read the V7 has a pretty simple design that is pretty reliable. It's a fuel injected 750 v-twin with shaft drive. I talked to a couple of people at the local cycle gear and the people he knew that owned them tend to hang on to them.

If you do buy it, take a picture of it and post it here.

It'll be the "before" shot.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

JHVH-1 posted:

From what I've read the V7 has a pretty simple design that is pretty reliable.

I was looking at a V7 until I read this : http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/moto-guzzi-v7-first-year-issues.1143233/

Picking up a Triumph Street twin tomorrow. After a couple test rides (including with pillion) it's just way too much fun to ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I have to ride to goddamn Whitehorse to get a compliment on the Uly.

Thanks fuckers.

I'll have you know I acknowledged a Ulysses owner pulling into a gas station with a small nod.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Holy lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

JHVH-1 posted:

Just get a Harley already. Then you'll have an excuse to ride like this and when you do layer dan, you'll be part of the 'cool kids club'.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

quote:

14. Right side intake push rod jumped off and slid over to one side of the rocker assembly and then wedged itself between the rocker assembly and the tube housing, they had to replace that rocker assembly because it was apparantely tweaked or bad casting or something is what they told me.

Mamma Mia!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just get a Harley already. Then you'll have an excuse to ride like this and when you do layer dan, you'll be part of the 'cool kids club'.

That's hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Are we criticizing the guy on the KTM who can't stay in his own lane or the guy who was taking the road at a pace that he felt comfortable with?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The guy who got passed by a human-leg-powered bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

PCOS Bill posted:

the guy who was taking the road at a pace that he felt comfortable with?

lol that's what you got out of that video???

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

Are we criticizing the guy on the KTM who can't stay in his own lane or the guy who was taking the road at a pace that he felt comfortable with?

You have trolled us. Well done.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

those three deserve each other

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The guy's a lovely rider, but I'm not going to make fun of someone for riding slowly if they're uncomfortable. Gotta start somewhere.

(some people just never get past the start)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Gotta start somewhere.

That somewhere is called riding classes or a parking lot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I owned a 1984 V65 and briefly worked on a 2012 or so V7. The similarity between them was absurd. They were like part for part identical except for the fuel injection, gauges and valve covers. And mine was unreliable in 1984. Ninja 250s had more R&D put into them over their (shorter) production run.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I owned a 1984 V65 and briefly worked on a 2012 or so V7. The similarity between them was absurd. They were like part for part identical except for the fuel injection, gauges and valve covers. And mine was unreliable in 1984. Ninja 250s had more R&D put into them over their (shorter) production run.

Well you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it! And if it is broke, shrug and say ciao and don't fix it!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Piaggio took a look at them after buying Aprilia (who bought Guzzi in the late 90s) and promptly came to the same conclusion as Aprilia had - "Well poo poo, we can fix these issues, but people are still buying them...".

However they sent in the Aprilia engine design team with a copy of "Modern Quality Control for Dummies" and a stick with a nail through it last year (after Galluzzi went in to fix the cosmetics a few years before, because they're still an Italian company and they know which thing to fix first) so it'll be interesting to see what the new V9 engine is like reliability-wise.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Follow-up: I compromised and bought the oversized dirtbike. The money I didn't spend on a 1290R will go towards lovely, responsible things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I like the purple cars.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Revvik posted:

Follow-up: I compromised and bought the oversized dirtbike. The money I didn't spend on a 1290R will go towards lovely, responsible things.

Try some dirt on those 17s and report back :)

Super jealous, those are the only things besides Buells that really tickle my pickle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What's so great about buells

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Goddamn, everything.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I like the purple cars.

Purple everything. The MS6 is super neglected until snow hits though.

I don't think there would really be any reporting back if I took this on some dirt. Huge step up, literally seat height, from the '48.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

What's so great about buells

Going back to this, I can see a lot of (oversimplified) parallels between Buell and KTM here. KTM took their 990 engine and stuffed it into a ton of different frames for different purpose motorcycles. Buell took the 1200cc Harley engine and stuffed it into a ton of different frames for different purposes. Also Buell makes cool poo poo, the Blast notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Similarities in principle yeah, but the devil is in the details. KTM is run by mostly-competent and slightly crazy engineers. Buell is run by a barely competent and completely crazy engineer (singular).