Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

All I've heard regarding Faraci lately is that he compared Sausage Party to Blazing Saddles, which I think alone would be enough to dissuade anyone from listening to his opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

:golfclap:

Thank you, goons.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Corek posted:

I'm finally getting tired of Devin Faraci. His latest creepy tweets are just to whine about women who don't like Hillary Clinton, and to call himself the true representative of women in the face of twitter critics! This is just his abusive personality surfacing again, just like his old misogynist rant about that pleasing that stranger's wife better. And it's happening more and more often; I actualy used to really like his website and writing and now his increasing bursts of rage on twitter have permanently turned me off.

Gotta spread that "crazy leftists" narrative now that Bernie gave Hillary his endorsement. It's nothing new, people like him have been doing that since Bernie's campaign gained traction.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What a dweeb.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

idgi please explain

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The meme is getting closer to reality...

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/758277984172113920

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/758280996009615360
https://twitter.com/jonny_is_good/status/758325636851040257
https://twitter.com/mcurryfelidae07/status/758285190351335424
https://twitter.com/mcurryfelidae07/status/758288031023378432

Corek fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 27, 2016

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Another Old Man Reads Creepypastas came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW2qGwEIOkg. I'm surprised there aren't more bad creepypasta review series you'd think they would be a pretty easy target for goofy commentary but the only other one that comes to mind is https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelLeroi.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

idgi please explain

Margaret Atwood is a very respected writer who has frequently dismissed generic sci-fi.
Star Wars novels feature Han Solo fighting giant ferrets.
Nerds desperately seek validation for corporate franchises.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

fatherboxx posted:

Margaret Atwood is a very respected writer who has frequently dismissed generic sci-fi.
Star Wars novels feature Han Solo fighting giant ferrets.
Nerds desperately seek validation for corporate franchises.

Yeah, but she'd totally write it if we offered her enough :10bux: right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What did I just watch

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

What did I just watch

An illiterate trying to explain how movie work without understanding cinematography, literary theory, color theory, acting techniques, music composing and editing.

And then backing with a lot of back pedal.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MiddleOne posted:

What did I just watch

Doug Walker running out of ideas for editorials

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yeah, but she'd totally write it if we offered her enough :10bux: right?

I know you're joking but no, she probably wouldn't. She despises genres so much that she labels her own science fiction speculative. She's quite fun to listen to actually.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Cy_Qlh7VM

Hey, just dropping in to plug a guy whose stuff I like: The Nerdwriter. He actually has, you know, insights into things, if anyone's jonesing for stuff like that.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/charles_kinbote/status/758278488554106880

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

KKall posted:

Hey, just dropping in to plug a guy whose stuff I like: The Nerdwriter. He actually has, you know, insights into things, if anyone's jonesing for stuff like that.

The Comic Book Megathread is talking about that very video. A lot of opinions, both insightful and not, being thrown out there. It's a good thread sometimes as there can be some meat and potatoes discussion about the films (mainly Snyder's work, but Marvel's output does get put under the microscope and their themes and whatnot discussed). It's far from the head-up-own-butt navel gazing forum that most people here claim it to be.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What Batman v Superman really lacks is scenes. Actual scenes, not just filler between moments.

lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

THE PUNGENT SMELL OF BURNED RUBBER ON TARMAC, THE CRACKS OF A .32 POCKET PISTOL BEING FIRED WITH CARELESS ABANDON INTO THE SKY, THIN BUT SUBSTANTIAL CLOUDS OF TIRE SMOKE

SIDE SHOW ON THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I have no idea what you guys are posting about but has Lindsay posted her 9/11 video yet?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Alaois posted:

THE PUNGENT SMELL OF BURNED RUBBER ON TARMAC, THE CRACKS OF A .32 POCKET PISTOL BEING FIRED WITH CARELESS ABANDON INTO THE SKY, THIN BUT SUBSTANTIAL CLOUDS OF TIRE SMOKE

Like clockwork. But seriously where do you get these quotes from. Or do you make them up yourself?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KKall posted:

Very good stuff. BvS is severely lacking in establishing shots, it makes a lot of it feel like an extended move trailer.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What Batman v Superman really lacks is scenes. Actual scenes, not just filler between moments.

lol

I've spent more time defending MoS than is healthy, but its not so much on its merits than on how the discussion around it is a perfect example of how shallow nerd criticism is.

Bravest how many times will I have to post :ironicat: before you get the message?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

lol

Well, yeah.

The guy in the video states this plainly and it holds up.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I watched this and I now know how a coyote that had to gnaw its own arm off to get out of a trap feels. I have to wonder what led Anthony Fantano to this juncture in his life. He's a good music reviewer but man oh loving man what in the Lord's name is he loving doing with this meme review poo poo. Like, McIntosh is loving idiotic, I agree with him on that, but good Lord are these reviews just a bunch of hot alt-right/4chan pandering garbage.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Fantano has been hot trash for yeaaars.

I was introduced to them a while back. I don't know if this is an edit trick to avoid copyright, but his commentary keeps drowning the subject matter like if he doesn't give much of a hoot about what the scenes have to say and it feels somewhat draining to watching. "What, you want to observe the poo poo I'm talking about? Nah, here have more and more mouthwords like the gently caress you Baltimore advert lasting for almost 10 minutes. The Ren and Stimpy video was honestly excruciating to watch as someone who's friends with people who worked with John K and had to handle his legacy of "everything must look like a tumor and overly detailed and you can skimp on like, everything else", and watching that after the Batman Vs Superman video was double as grating after him being all "Zack Snyder is all about moments and not scenes".

He's... one of those producers that benefit more from not paying as much attention to the visuals for me, which is a bit sad since his work is mostly "hey, look at the way movies are made!".

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 27, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

Well, yeah.

The guy in the video states this plainly and it holds up.

His criticism is based on arbitrarily redefining what a "scene" is.

A scene is of course a sequence on screen.

According to Nerdwriter, it's the melding of the mis-en-scene into a "living, breathing reality" that immerses the viewer into forgetting that it's a movie.

In other words, BvS's failure is that it doesn't deceive.

Augus posted:

Bravest how many times will I have to post :ironicat: before you get the message?

We're discussing BvS, do try to keep up.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Jesse Eisenberg/Luthor better not show up in the same movie as Jared Leto/Joker or things might get a little confusing

edit: To be fair though, Batman Forever had Two-Face and Riddler acting as surrogate Jokers and it worked out for them.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 27, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

t h e r e a r e n o n i s s a n s t a g e a a u t e c h s i n a m e r i c a

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

His criticism is based on arbitrarily redefining what a "scene" is.

A scene is of course a sequence on screen.

According to Nerdwriter, it's the melding of the mis-en-scene into a "living, breathing reality" that immerses the viewer into forgetting that it's a movie.

In other words, BvS's failure is that it doesn't deceive.

Why are you just repeating his points?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Death of Group B was the Death of Sport

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I watched this and I now know how a coyote that had to gnaw its own arm off to get out of a trap feels. I have to wonder what led Anthony Fantano to this juncture in his life. He's a good music reviewer but man oh loving man what in the Lord's name is he loving doing with this meme review poo poo. Like, McIntosh is loving idiotic, I agree with him on that, but good Lord are these reviews just a bunch of hot alt-right/4chan pandering garbage.

I stopped watching him after he had loving Sargon of Akkad as a guest and, in general. he got too high on his memelord hype like a lot of youtube personalities.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

The Death of Group B was the Death of Sport

Alaois posted:

t h e r e a r e n o n i s s a n s t a g e a a u t e c h s i n a m e r i c a

Alaois posted:

We get it. Enough already.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MariusLecter posted:

Why are you just repeating his points?

His points are pretty bad and contradictory. For example, at one point he thinks that the "film" is a real person with motivations:

"All character motivations are subservient to the film's own motivation to reach the next moment."

Let's remove the weird imagined subject to properly translate this:

"All character motivations are subservient to reaching the next moment in the film."

What does "moment" mean? A movie moment. What's a "movie moment"? In Nerdwriter's lexicon it's some impressive beat intended to awe audiences with cinematic glory.

A moment in a movie just what's on screen for the moment.

"All character motivations are subservient to showing things on screen."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 27, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh my god shut up. Go watch ram's video on the road warrior. Just shut up please.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
These Supermen are pawns!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You're being literal minded just to be obtuse for the replies.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/138/907/3ef.png

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

nine-gear crow posted:

These Supermen are pawns!

Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman, Isabelle Adjani...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Annointed posted:

*a link to drooling anime girl asking for drugs*

I see.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

We're discussing BvS, do try to keep up.

It's hypocritical to say that you're trying to fight against how shallow internet criticism and then go on to dismiss genuine criticism in a shallow manner. I'm sorry if that somehow wasn't clear.
Please stop talking about Zack Snyder movies, you clearly have an unhealthy fixation.

• Locked thread