Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shame I'm not hip enough to recognize them.

Hip? Outside of Usher, the majority of those artists haven't been relevant for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shame I'm not hip enough to recognize them.

those loving hipsters, always listening to Heart :argh:

xcore posted:

Hip? Outside of Usher, the majority of those artists haven't been relevant for 20 years.

If we're nitpicking, Michael Bolton did a song with the Lonely Island guys awhile ago.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 27, 2016

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
And being able to recognize a guy from Imagine Dragons is the opposite of "hip" I'm pretty sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John Mellencamp may look more like Beast from Disney's Beauty And The Beast every year but that's still a really hurtful thing to say about him. :smith:

Sheryl Crow was still looking pretty good for being in her 50s.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

She should have just cut him off after his bullshit proved indefatigable.

Like honestly, the producers know that dreck will get memed or viralized or referenced on yet another stupid "you won't believe what (____) does/says!" bit.
If more of the media actually cut people off for lying to their faces... but no, gotta maintain that faux objectivity.

The problem is that the media is just as complicit in reinforcing that "everything is terrible be afraid constantly" bullshit as the politicians so for them to really start calling it out is just going to bring a lot of uncomfortable attention on their OWN behaviour.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The most interesting thing about the GOP Convention that wasn't covered in any of these shows was that bald billionaire guy who was Trump's friend and had actual personal anecdotes (unlike Trump's family) that shed some light on his personal life.

It revealed to me that that his life was still mostly boring rich people stuff like golf and stories that play well only in private parties in small rooms filled with rich people.

Unlike the other stuff, it's not damning, but (if you actual infer between the lines) it's still weirdly different from the public image he's crafted for himself.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's nuts to me that almost 50% of the country support this party and their ideals though. The people at this convention looked legitimately insane. I know the people at this things are the "extreme" but even I if I leaned right, I'd find it really hard to stand behind these guys and support them.

I feel like there needs to be 3 parties. A left wing/liberal party, a right wing conservative party concerned with Capitalism and a separate party with all the crazy religious, abortion hating, "don't tread on me" militants

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

xcore posted:

I feel like there needs to be 3 parties. A left wing/liberal party, a right wing conservative party concerned with Capitalism and a separate party with all the crazy religious, abortion hating, "don't tread on me" militants
The only way a third party would make it in the US presidential race is if we adopted an alternative voting system like STV.

Until then, you only have a chance of being elected if you're under the banner of one of the two electable parties.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sivart13 posted:

The only way a third party would make it in the US presidential race is if we adopted an alternative voting system like STV.

Until then, you only have a chance of being elected if you're under the banner of one of the two electable parties.

Yeah, that's why Bernie campaigned under the democrat banner even though as a senator he's an independent. The most impact you can have as a third party is to split the vote enough that the guy you like the least ends up winning as seen in the 2000 elections with Nader splitting votes away from Gore (admittedly I don't know if this actually made an impact on the electoral college which is where Gore lost).

The US electoral system is flawed in a lot of ways though - the two parties thing is just one of the many, many symptoms. They also need to address things like gerrymandering, low voter turnout, the electoral college system in general, more clearly defining state vs. federal issues... there are lots of problems.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, that's why Bernie campaigned under the democrat banner even though as a senator he's an independent. The most impact you can have as a third party is to split the vote enough that the guy you like the least ends up winning as seen in the 2000 elections with Nader splitting votes away from Gore (admittedly I don't know if this actually made an impact on the electoral college which is where Gore lost).
Gore didn't actually lose the election.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vodos posted:

Gore didn't actually lose the election.
Apparently the Bernie Bros cross-bred with the Algore Bores and now we have a whole new kind of insufferableness

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

People really have got to stop buying into this horseshit narrative. It's propaganda.

1. The people to blame for an [X] presidency are the people that vote for them
2. A massive portion of registered Florida Democrats voted for Bush
3. There is no reason to assume that the people who voted for third party candidates would unanimously vote Gore
4. And even if they by some miracle did, it was such a small number of people that it would not have changed the results anyway

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sivart13 posted:

A third party would make it into the US presidential race in two ways, either someone really rich/charismatic ran or if a 3rd party was willing to develop a ground game and build up from smaller offices.

People did honestly believe the Reform Party was putting together a real ground game after Ventura got elected by being willing to go after governorship and states rather then jump right to the top. The party feel apart due to issues but it's the best way to go rather then jump into the billion dollar Presidential race.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

sbaldrick posted:

A third party would make it into the US presidential race in two ways, either someone really rich/charismatic ran or if a 3rd party was willing to develop a ground game and build up from smaller offices.

People did honestly believe the Reform Party was putting together a real ground game after Ventura got elected by being willing to go after governorship and states rather then jump right to the top. The party feel apart due to issues but it's the best way to go rather then jump into the billion dollar Presidential race.

I would agree. It has to start at a state by state level, gain some ground and popularity before pushing for a larger office. It's even more possible to do it without accepting large donations from corporate interests with the crowdfunding ideal, but it would definitely be a multi-year process.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There were a lot of factors contributing to the fuckup that was Bush V Gore, but remember again that the man had a really boring apathetic campaign. He chose Joe loving Lieberman as his VP for Christ's sake.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The only way I could see the two-party system ending right now is if the two parties were completely dismantled and replaced with multiple new ones.

But I'm not american nor all that well versed in politics so maybe this is the dumbest post.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sbaldrick posted:

Yeah state level elections are a lot more attainable - as mentioned earlier Sanders was elected to the senate as an independent, and in a lot of places candidates are just running unopposed - usually because one party is just so unpopular that it's not worth running a campaign, but that still leaves room for third party candidates who might be closer to the incumbent on the political spectrum but different enough to not want to just run as a primary candidate for the dominant party.

Woebin posted:

The only way I could see the two-party system ending right now is if the two parties were completely dismantled and replaced with multiple new ones.

But I'm not american nor all that well versed in politics so maybe this is the dumbest post.

There's pretty significant historical precedent for that happening. If you look at the history of US candidates you can see new parties emerging and old ones dying out. People like to think that the way things are now are the way things have always been but things are always changing. Admittedly the two main parties have been the only ones to win presidential elections for the last 150 years but third parties have made fairly successful pushes every now and then (Teddy Roosevelt ran as a 3rd party in 1912 - he lost by a significant margin to the Democrats, but got more votes than the Republicans). And honestly with the way things are going it seems like the Republican party is on the verge of collapse.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 27, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FilthyImp posted:

There were a lot of factors contributing to the fuckup that was Bush V Gore, but remember again that the man had a really boring apathetic campaign. He chose Joe loving Lieberman as his VP for Christ's sake.

Lockbox.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In Nader's defense, he ran after Perot did very well in '92 and '96, and he ran when the Democrats were shifting rightward. And nobody knew how bad Dubya was going to be and Gore didn't "earn" Nader's votes. And Nader, even in '04, was still criticizing Bush more than Kerry. Also, Nader had some genuine political victories behind him, like a bunch of public safety stuff.

However I don't have much respect for Jill Stein, who seems like she's just acting a show. She doesn't have a strategy besides chasing the corpse of Bernie's campaign. She hasn't really organized a campaign on the ground; she's not serious about even pretending to win. She's just selling something she knows she can't deliver. And she clearly isn't even pretending to be leading a movement's that's "bigger" than her campaign.

And Gary Johnson was pretty much a Koch-fueled Republican until he decided to pivot towards libertarianism when he wanted to establish his national brand. And even if he does court some "respectable republican" votes, it won't really be a victory for libertarian ideals, not that they're worth anything anyway.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Strategery.

Echo Chamber posted:

In Nader's defense, he ran after Perot did very well in '92 and '96, and he ran when the Democrats were shifting rightward.

Oh yeah, Perot did well those two elections. In 1996, he didn't run much of a campaign, and he still netted just as many electoral votes as he did in 1992, and we're talking a serious number because he in fact won a percentage of the total electoral votes that it'd take to win the election.

(It's true because zero is technically a percent!)

In high school, we held a mock election, and Perot won easily. It is one of the two reasons why I'm against the lowering of the minimum voting age to 16. The other reason, strangely enough, is also from the 1992 election: Bill Clinton became the first presidential candidate to make what seemed like a genuine effort to win the youth vote by taking his case to the... well, to the youth, I guess. He did a town hall style meeting on MTV, and then a teenage girl, or maybe a couple of them, said the three words that proved that you can't let kids vote. Here they are, a historic opportunity, on TV for the world to see.

The girl's mouth opened.

"Boxers or Briefs?" :downsbravo:

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 28, 2016

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Apparently the Bernie Bros cross-bred with the Algore Bores and now we have a whole new kind of insufferableness

quote:

Everybody had thought that the chads were where all the bad ballots were, but it turned out that the ones that were the most decisive were write-in ballots where people would check Gore and write Gore in, and the machine kicked those out. There were 175,000 votes overall that were so-called “spoiled ballots.” About two-thirds of the spoiled ballots were over-votes; many or most of them would have been write-in over-votes, where people had punched and written in a candidate’s name. And nobody looked at this, not even the Florida Supreme Court in the last decision it made requiring a statewide recount. Nobody had thought about it except Judge Terry Lewis, who was overseeing the statewide recount when it was halted by the U.S. Supreme Court. The write-in over-votes have really not gotten much attention. Those votes are not ambiguous. When you see Gore picked and then Gore written in, there’s not a question in your mind who this person was voting for. When you go through those, they’re unambiguous: Bush got some of those votes, but they were overwhelmingly for Gore. For example, in an analysis of the 2.7 million votes that had been cast in Florida’s eight largest counties, The Washington Post found that Gore’s name was punched on 46,000 of the over-vote ballots it, while Bush’s name was marked on only 17,000

quote:

if you look at where those votes occurred, they were in predominantly black precincts. And (when you look at) the history of black voting in Florida, these are people that have been disenfranchised, intimidated. In the history of the early 20th century, black votes would be thrown out on technicalities, like they would use an X instead of a check mark.
So you can understand why African Americans would be so careful, checking off Gore’s name on the list of candidates and also writing Gore’s name in the space for write-in votes. But because of the way the vote-counting machines work, this had the opposite effect: the machines threw out their ballots.

All while Florida election rules say/said that no vote “shall be declared invalid or void if there is a clear indication of the intent of the vote”.

Source: http://rinr.fsu.edu/winter2005/features/battlefield.html

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

tarlibone posted:

Strategery.

Oh yeah, Perot did well those two elections. In 1996, he didn't run much of a campaign, and he still netted just as many electoral votes as he did in 1992, and we're talking a serious number because he in fact won a percentage of the total electoral votes that it'd take to win the election.

In high school, we held a mock election, and Perot won easily. It is one of the two reasons why I'm against the lowering of the minimum voting age to 16. The other reason, strangely enough, is also from the 1992 election: Bill Clinton became the first presidential candidate to make what seemed like a genuine effort to win the youth vote by taking his case to the... well, to the youth, I guess. He did a town hall style meeting on MTV, and then a teenage girl, or maybe a couple of them, said the three words that proved that you can't let kids vote. Here they are, a historic opportunity, on TV for the world to see.

The girl's mouth opened.

So 16 year olds who have jobs and pay taxes shouldnt have representation?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tarlibone posted:

Strategery.

The girl's mouth opened.

my grandfather voted perot both times. he's weird.

also this is still the biggest vote-getter for clinton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHfgqK_hcU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

tarlibone posted:

The girl's mouth opened.

Asking stupid questions at town hall meetings is a long-established tradition with no age restrictions.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, John seemed ANGRY tonight. Mind you, I can't say I blame him after what Trump said about Zakir. That was wildly inappropriate.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Man, John seemed ANGRY tonight. Mind you, I can't say I blame him after what Trump said about Zakir. That was wildly inappropriate.

He was absolutely furious about it. I think he's reaching a breaking point where if Trump is elected he might literally set fire to the studio.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

he does a shitload of vet stuff thanks to his wife

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I really don't want to be THAT guy,but I feel that John is a bit too anti-Bernie. I mean I feel he has an actual legitimate strong dislike for him and his camp. Could just be me though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really don't want to be THAT guy,but I feel that John is a bit too anti-Bernie. I mean I feel he has an actual legitimate strong dislike for him and his camp. Could just be me though.

He's not nearly as anti-Bernie as Sam Bee. I'm not American so I don't even have a dog in that fight but Bee's Bernie bashing was getting a little offputting.

Colbert, on the other hand, was really feeling the Bern.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Well, here's the thing about Bernie's whole... shtick, I guess. Here's the thing. If you're not emotionally invested in Bernie, then here is what you think about when considering his role in the campaign:

1. He became a Democrat specifically to use their massive voting base to give himself a chance at being elected president. That's worse than bandwagoning because you're using the clout of a party you proudly didn't belong to 10 minutes ago to achieve your goals.
2. He made lofty promises, the kind that he could not possibly ever even come close to fulfilling, either because the math doesn't work out (free college and healthcare for everybody), or because there's this thing called Congress that he'd have to deal with that would fight him tooth and nail every step of the way over things like, well, free college and healthcare. And pretty much every other pie-in-the-sky thing he promised. His promises were as feasible as Donald Trump's are, it's just he's a much better human being, so it's easy for excited kids to fall for it all.
3. He complained about a rigged system whose rules didn't change when he entered the race. He knew what he was getting into; the rules weren't secrets or anything.
4. No matter how you slice it, he didn't have more supporters than Hillary did. There are mathematical models that convert his caucus wins to primary vote totals based on realistic variables, and no matter how you play with the numbers--making all states have primaries, making all primaries open primaries, etc.--he ends up with fewer votes. So his railing against superdelegates feels hollow when you realize that his only hope for nomination was for the superdelegates to ignore the will of the majority and side with him.
5. Finally, at the end of the day, he stayed in the race for so long, even after it was very clear that he could not realistically (and eventually, when he couldn't possibly) win, that he turned a grassroots movement into a bona fide schism in the DNC, and that's trouble because that is the one thing, the only thing, that could lead to a Trump presidency.

And take a good look at that last point, because the Bernie-or-Bust folks were very loudly proclaiming that they would choose not to support Hillary because of REASONS. Their reasons often sounded petulant and childish, "my guy didn't win so I'm taking my ballot and going HOME!"-type stuff. That all but verified the fears of the people who at all costs do not want a Trump presidency that they're going to split the Democrat vote and hand Trump the win.

People who don't love Bernie remember all of those points above, and they have little reason to love him. It can't even be said that he brought a bunch of new blood to the party because that new blood left when he did. So I'm not surprised that people who either preferred Hillary or just really hate Trump are hard on Bernie.

(And full disclosure: I say this as a guy who voted for Bernie. Not because I believed his promises, because... well, I'm not a loving idiot. But he was much better than Hillary, who is just awful. But... (sigh)... awful is better than Trump.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't get the vibe that Oliver dislikes Bernie Sanders.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Sam Bee's dislike of Bernie is less of a dislike of Bernie than it is a dislike of Bernie Bros, who are 1) very loud, 2) very verbally abusive, and 3) very stupid. You get the impression that she's not a fan of any of the three.

Plus, she's a woman in mass media and the internet, and I guarantee you that she will have drawn more abuse (and worse, in certain ways) from a certain sector of the internet (that overlaps with the archetypal Bernie Bro) than her male counterparts have. Her Real or Fake [Emails/Twitter/Youtube Comments] videos sure are something.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 2, 2016

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I like Bernie and voted for him in the primary but I can't understand the Bernie or bust people at all. I'm kinda hoping all those people who are crying the loudest probably didn't vote in the last election and probably weren't even gonna vote in this election. The Trump idea scares me and I'm doing mental hurdles to convince myself he won't get elected.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Harton posted:

I like Bernie and voted for him in the primary but I can't understand the Bernie or bust people at all.
I've got some young friends (21ish) that are Bernheads. One of them wants an apology/policy plank that begins to make amends for Clinton's destabilization of Syria/interventions in LatAm, the other is a misogynist-leaning kid that thinks Hillary is crooked and will do anything to achieve her goals.
I mentioned the possibility of radically remaking SCOTUS as a more progressive institution and the response was "The court is broken, impeach Alito"

And since neither were politically conscious through BushVGore, the thought of compromising their ideals to vote for (ugh) a :airquote: lesser evil :airquote:

So in a few cases, it's a case of "First Politically Active Moment" or "Babby's first presidential vote".

The ones that go full Trump I have no idea.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
John Oliver barely commented on Bernie Sanders so I don't know where this discussion in this thread is coming from.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

tarlibone posted:

2. He made lofty promises, the kind that he could not possibly ever even come close to fulfilling, either because the math doesn't work out (free college and healthcare for everybody), or because there's this thing called Congress that he'd have to deal with that would fight him tooth and nail every step of the way over things like, well, free college and healthcare. And pretty much every other pie-in-the-sky thing he promised. His promises were as feasible as Donald Trump's are, it's just he's a much better human being, so it's easy for excited kids to fall for it all.

Agreed on the Congress part, but how can you say that the US can't afford things that are completely normal in the majority of Western democracies? We pay somewhat more taxes in Europe but at least we don't go bankrupt from medical emergencies or tens of thousands into debt for an education. In the US you're paying more "taxes" than us Europeans, you just don't call them taxes because you're paying the private sector for the services covered by our "high" taxes. Plus a huge chunk of your actual taxes go directly into the pockets of the private sector.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
My presidential vote doesn't matter, so it's going third party. Hillary, just like Trump, is a pathological liar that doesn't deserve my vote. I can understand voting for her in a state where you vote might actually matter at all to strategically vote against the "greater evil" in Trump, though.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Squall posted:

My presidential vote doesn't matter, so it's going third party. Hillary, just like Trump, is a pathological liar that doesn't deserve my vote. I can understand voting for her in a state where you vote might actually matter at all to strategically vote against the "greater evil" in Trump, though.

I live in Indiana and I will be going to the polls for Hillary. I used to use that same bullshit excuse until Indiana went for Obama and I then owed one of the union stewards at work lunch. You'll never stand a chance of flipping the state when every liberal in it is crying about how their vote doesn't count. What's the actual voting percentage of America? 35%? The only reason the Republican Party still acts this way is because most people don't vote so they still cater to the crazys who vote in EVERY election, midterms and all.

Edit: Also I'm going to vote even though I'm 99.9% sure Indiana will go for Trump. It would sicken me if he took my state without me letting out the slightest whimper. You should feel the same way.

Harton fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 2, 2016

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Harton posted:

I like Bernie and voted for him in the primary but I can't understand the Bernie or bust people at all. I'm kinda hoping all those people who are crying the loudest probably didn't vote in the last election and probably weren't even gonna vote in this election. The Trump idea scares me and I'm doing mental hurdles to convince myself he won't get elected.

Isn't it true that right now more Bernie people say they will vote for Hillary, than Hillary people said would vote for Obama back in 2008 at this same point in the election season?

EDIT: I cannot find this article for the life of me. Basically it did polling for how many Bernie supporters right now say they will vote Hillary and are comparing it to 2008 polling from the same time for Hillary supporters saying they would vote for Obama. It showed that back in 2008 there were actually way more Hillary supporters saying they wouldn't vote for Obama at this same time in the election as we're at now.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harton posted:

I live in Indiana and I will be going to the polls for Hillary. I used to use that same bullshit excuse until Indiana went for Obama and I then owed one of the union stewards at work lunch. You'll never stand a chance of flipping the state when every liberal in it is crying about how their vote doesn't count. What's the actual voting percentage of America? 35%? The only reason the Republican Party still acts this way is because most people don't vote so they still cater to the crazys who vote in EVERY election, midterms and all.

Edit: Also I'm going to vote even though I'm 99.9% sure Indiana will go for Trump. It would sicken me if he took my state without me letting out the slightest whimper. You should feel the same way.

I would imagine that the argument more goes for places like California, Texas, and New York, which are not only solidly of one color or the other, but also big enough states that individual votes really do matter much, much less. Then you have Vermont, which is consistently called for the democrat precisely when the polls close, with 0% of precincts reporting. Even if you expect Indiana to go red, the mere fact that it's mid-sized means your vote counts more before you even factor in that Obama did take it.

• Locked thread