Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GeneX posted:

The story of "Emrakul decided to trap itself by warping wrath of god into song of the dryads but blue" makes the eldrazi a lot more interesting than "kozilek and ulamog get burned to death by the power of friendship".

To be fair, "Jace did a poo on the floor" is a more interesting story than "kozilek and ulamog get burned by the power of friendship"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Lord of Hats posted:

1 new titan. The other titan is Delver finally achieving his destiny.

God I hope so, Delver's continued scientific research despite theoretically debilitating personal mutation is incredibly inspiring

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Oldwalkers like Urza and Teferi were inherently 5 color with a preference (blue in both cases,) newwalkers have color limitations.

So the newalkers are the super casuals that show up at prereleases and always play the same 1 or 2 colors?

That makes sense thematically.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

80s James Hetfield posted:

A third eldrazi has crashed into Innistrad

A second power has hit the planes

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I just re-read the story bit where Jace and Tamiyo met and ran into Avacyn. During their mind-meld, Jace learns of the iron-bound scrolls, and when Emrakul-Through-Avacyn is mindfucking Jace to death at the end, he begs Tamiyo to use the scroll,

quote:

The scroll. The iron scroll. You showed it to me. An old story. A powerful story. The survivors of a place that was lost...Serra's realm. That cataclysm, that power...the story fits. You know it does. You can stop this.

I think that scroll was Planar Collapse, when Urza imploded the phyrexian-ravaged (and scourged by the insane Radiant, Archangel) plane of Serra's Realm into a powerstone to fuel the Weatherlight. Emeria tweaking it to shunt herself into the moon makes entirely too much sense.

I am actually impressed at how well that presumed lore-tie-in from the far past of Magic's history links up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
tamiyo was ready to kill literally everyone and the entire plane to get rid of emmy so in a way emrakul saved everyone's lives

oh my god emrakul really is gonna come back and be the good guy all along

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mandatory lesbian posted:

tamiyo was ready to kill literally everyone and the entire plane to get rid of emmy so in a way emrakul saved everyone's lives

:smith: there is no way this ends up being wrong

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Thats not how I read it. Tamiyo was ready to die in failure rather than use that scroll (or to see her story end as she would put it)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nibble posted:

It's just over an hour from me, but yeah of all places in NY I wonder why that one.

Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Not quite--Tamiyo cast the moon-binding spell, but she and Nissa (who was using leylines to provide power) weren't able to fuel the thing, because trapping Emrakul in the moon takes an absolute shitload of power. Emrakul then hijacked Tamiyo, and used the Planar Collapse scroll that she'd altered--instead of using all that energy to actually collapse the plane, it fueled the moon-binding so that Emrakul could take her moon vacation while she waited for Innistrad to become properly ready for her arrival.

I would guess that means that while Innistrad isn't getting as horribly hosed up anymore, there's still going to be some real Lovecraft stuff going on that they're going to have to work to deal with, in addition to all the stuff they already had to deal with.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

Thats not how I read it. Tamiyo was ready to die in failure rather than use that scroll (or to see her story end as she would put it)

the last chat between tamiyo and jace is her saying she was reading the planar collapse scroll

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not quite--Tamiyo cast the moon-binding spell, but she and Nissa (who was using leylines to provide power) weren't able to fuel the thing, because trapping Emrakul in the moon takes an absolute shitload of power. Emrakul then hijacked Tamiyo, and used the Planar Collapse scroll that she'd altered--instead of using all that energy to actually collapse the plane, it fueled the moon-binding so that Emrakul could take her moon vacation while she waited for Innistrad to become properly ready for her arrival.

I would guess that means that while Innistrad isn't getting as horribly hosed up anymore, there's still going to be some real Lovecraft stuff going on that they're going to have to work to deal with, in addition to all the stuff they already had to deal with.

oh ah i didn't quite catch on she was mind-controlled into reading instead of by her own voletion but of course it's even more anime then i thought

fully expecting a talking cat planeswalker in the next set now

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
:confused:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

the last chat between tamiyo and jace is her saying she was reading the planar collapse scroll

Ah, sorry, I just posted the description bit, which was from Jace. At the end of that story Tammy goes "Nah. Promised not to use that, some stories have to come to an end, sorry buddy"

But yeah Tamiyo basically went:

:syoon:Ok let's seal Emrakul
:stare: Oh god it's not working
:froggonk: Oh god I'm being possessed
:frogsiren: OH GOD SHE'S READING THE NUKESPELL
:pcgaming: it wasn't a nuke anymore

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

oh ah i didn't quite catch on she was mind-controlled into reading instead of by her own voletion but of course it's even more anime then i thought

fully expecting a talking cat planeswalker in the next set now

Fortunately for anime fans everywhere, Innistrad has the correct clothing aesthetic for gothic lolita Emra-chan to be a thing. There's a distinct lack of drill hair, but I'm sure that can be sold as a visual callback to tentacles.

I'm vaguely disgusted with myself for typing that, even as a joke.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I really like that dorky Mono-U or UB Prison deck from a month ago as something janky to play until Kaladesh comes out. Are there any good builds floating around with any EMN cards?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
A close friend of mine and fellow Magic enthusiast, Steven Marshall (aka Goober) passed away last year, and I am organizing a Magic tournament to celebrate his memory. He loved not only playing the game, but also competing and putting his skills up against those of others who loved the game, so a tournament is the best way I can think of to remember him.

The event will be held on Saturday August 27th at 11AM at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA. It will be SOI/EMN sealed format. Whether you knew him or not, you are more than welcome to participate in the event.

If you would like to play, the registration is $30 and can be submitted through the GoFundMe we set up for the event. If you can't play but still want to contribute, that is certainly welcome as well! All surplus funds raised will be donated to Child's Play.

There will be prizes of various kinds, including t-shirts, packs, playmats for top 8, and possibly a trophy for the winner!

I hope some of you guys are interested/can make it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm actually really impressed with the plot twist, it's way more interesting and ominous than the expected "we trapped Emrakul yay go team." It also fits into the idea of Emrakul being a Cthulhu-like figure, the world has to be ready for her blessing and she is merely biding her time in the moon.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Emrakul isn't eating the plane anymore or anything but there's still the roving deathcults, demons, mana-channeling cryptoliths, and ravenous werewolves all over the place.

If anything the Gatewatch just put some time on the clock until something finds a way to crack that egg in the sky.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Really Emrakul just wants to sup on brains so putting her in the moon means she can eat the brainwaves of all life on Innistrad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wait they referenced plot points from Urza's loving Legacy?

drat, y'all are making me want to read this story.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Wurzag posted:

Come to think of it the Eldrazi have only ever hosed up planes which they got lured to against their will. We only have Ugin's theorizing that they've ever done anything other than chill in the blind eternities. Basically what I'm saying is the Eldrazi did nothing wrong.

Nah, the first time we saw Ugin, Sorin, and Nahiri together, they were on a plane that the Eldrazi were eating. Nahiri made a sword for a lady, but she got ganked, and Nahiri took the sword in remembrance.

It's in fact the sword that Nahiri makes in her ultimate on her first planeswalker card.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
From Emrakul's point of view her chat with Jace was hilarious.

"huh, interesting, this little bug's mind is almost capable of communicating with me. Its been many millennia since I could talk to anyone, sure I'll talk to the bug."

"thats amusing. The bug thinks it can reason with me. I'll play with it a little, give it hope, then show it that I could have easily squished it before taking my lunar vacation."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It also sounded like Emrakul was pissed because she was summoned to the wrong place/too soon. This is the best resolution of a villain since New Phyrexia though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So what's this anti scouting change pros are bitching about? Are deck lists going to be posted or are they outlawing open scouting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

So what's this anti scouting change pros are bitching about? Are deck lists going to be posted or are they outlawing open scouting.

You don't get told who you're paired against, just what table to go to. "Game rules" of no electronic devices etc. start as soon as pairings are posted.

I'm not sure why pros would be mad about this, needing to do as much scouting as possible between rounds instead of being able to mentally rest and prep for the next match sounds horrible.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sickening posted:

They aren't posting who is playing who on the pairings. You find out when you hit the table. This means that if somebody wants to scout they will have to walk around and actually look to see what people are playing instead of immediately going to tables with top players. Further Wizards aren't posting matchups online until the match is well underway. Also no Electronic Devices until they finish their matchup (so you can't start texting parts of decklists to your team while you see it, it's gonna be memory only). I believe they also aren't supposed to be actively talking about matchups anymore either.

Jabor posted:

You don't get told who you're paired against, just what table to go to. "Game rules" of no electronic devices etc. start as soon as pairings are posted.

I'm not sure why pros would be mad about this, needing to do as much scouting as possible between rounds instead of being able to mentally rest and prep for the next match sounds horrible.

Pro's hate anything that causes them to have to do something different. Good or bad. Seems like the only real advantage you get to scouting is your game 1 mulligan decisions, which is pretty big to be fair. But basically the bigger teams hate it because they now have to do more work to get the same information.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even a 80% deck list is worth a lot on a Pro Tour when there isn't a set metagame.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Yea the current setup for established pro teams is to have a spreadsheet in google docs with every person the team has seem playing and what they're on. Sometimes there's someone offsite maintaining the spreadsheet for the team. If it's legal, and you have the resources, why not? You're there to win.

The rule change is good because it rewards creative deckbuilding and play skill rather than rewarding people for being part of an old boys network.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jabor posted:

=
Wasn't the scouting done by people outside the tournament? I believe some of the previous bitching was from folks that opponents had their sidebording figured out to go along with their deck choice much earlier in the tournament.

I guess its a start. Still room to shark. Seems like the only way to create no advantage is to post decklists.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It might be the way they end up eventually. It's always going to off kilter someway otherwise.

Pros in teams have much greater scouting potential, but they also have a lot higher visibility. Once a member of a team is on coverage their deck and sideboard is now a known quantity for probably 80% of that team.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Reminder if you'd like mana symbols to use on SA, donate here so we can buy them: https://www.gofundme.com/samanasymbols

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

I hope we get a genestealer cult story with emrakul still driving everyone bonkers on innistrad while shes locked up

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I really want to try and process some spells exiled with Spell Queller but excepting Wasteland Strangler there aren't really any good options. Also anything trying to do cute small-value interactions will probably just get rolled over by bant right now. :(

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
More confirmation of the new token generation text in today's oracle update. They fixed mimic vat exiling multiple cards from one melded creature, and changed it to create while they were at it, but have held off changing every previous token generator. I guess that will happen with Kaladesh. Thop till you drop.

Old rules text:

Imprint — Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.
{3}, {T}: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of the exiled card. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

New rules text:

Imprint — Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Mimic Vat to its owner's graveyard.
{3}, {T}: Create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with Mimic Vat. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I really want to try and process some spells exiled with Spell Queller but excepting Wasteland Strangler there aren't really any good options. Also anything trying to do cute small-value interactions will probably just get rolled over by bant right now. :(

Just play modern eldrazi taxes if you are into those shenanigans.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Tamiyo nervously glances around to see if she's alone, furtively unrolls an iron-bound scroll

It's labeled "Planeswalker Shipping Chart"

Somebody has hastily scribbled in "Emeria-chan" with arrows connecting her and Jace

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I unironically want anime Emrakul-tan to happen

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

anglachel posted:

Pro's hate anything that causes them to have to do something different. Good or bad. Seems like the only real advantage you get to scouting is your game 1 mulligan decisions, which is pretty big to be fair. But basically the bigger teams hate it because they now have to do more work to get the same information.
I want a pro team to reenact the written test from naruto during the inevitable return to Kamigawa Japan-ninja-samurai-foxgirl^______^ land.

cheetah7071 posted:

I unironically want anime Emrakul-tan to happen
Emrakul is just the chuunib version of Emeria-chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Robo Rosewater created a thing today:

https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater/status/758735050724679680

Does this work? I feel like it works, and that's kinda hilarious.

• Locked thread