Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Caphi posted:

an actual midterm where there were seven subjects or something and you can only study for three of them in any given playthrough.
You can study for all of them and get a top score, impressing even Jusis :v: You just have to look around for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can't skip BoF3 if you like good sprite work though. The game is worth playing just for the graphics if you're into that style.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can study for all of them and get a top score, impressing even Jusis :v: You just have to look around for them.

You only get three Friendship Points in study hour. Are the answers supposed to be in the library too or something?

(I'm kidding, I looked them up because I can't stand losing AP.)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

You can't skip BoF3 if you like good sprite work though. The game is worth playing just for the graphics if you're into that style.

Yeah, it's uneven and a bit of a mess in places but the spritework is top-notch. I think it has the best dragon system too.

Caphi posted:

You only get three Friendship Points in study hour. Are the answers supposed to be in the library too or something?

(I'm kidding, I looked them up because I can't stand losing AP.)

There are books in the library you can read, yeah.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

When I played Dragon Quarter, I didn't use the dragon transformation at all (except the one time the story forces you to when you first get it) until the final dungeon. It made some of the boss fights a little harrowing but it was never all that tough. I loved the hell out of that game, though.

If anyone here does play Dragon Quarter, I recommend looking up how to do the "basically infinite save tokens" trick. It does sort of defeat one of the things the game is going for, with making you get yourself stuck and then start over much stronger and see new scenes, but I know few people are going to have the patience for that approach and "cheating" the game to give you as many permanent saves as you want basically lets you play it like a normal JRPG.

Also seconding people's recommendations of Breath of Fire 3 and 4. I think 3 is probably more well-loved overall, but I personally like 4 more. It's visually gorgeous, has more enjoyable combat than 3, and has one of my favorite JRPG antagonists of all time. Oh, and a :krad: soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSAqplG8Jg

Uh, excuse me, any initial showcase post of BoFIV's beautiful soundtrack is required to use the manliest song in the game :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf9wP-XEKo4

A Warring God's my favourite track too.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The best thing to do in BoFDQ if you're frustrated with the restart system is to look up the trick with the treasure chest enemies in the ice area. If done correctly a couple times it gives you buckets of money. Inventory space limitations keep it from completely breaking the difficulty of the game, and even if you find it too easy, the game is worth playing for the music, plot and atmosphere alone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

play the breath of fire game with the talking dog in it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair about the black rose thing the dude's wife has never voice acted before i don't think. and like, people obviously need to start somewhere but that is kind of blatant nepotism. also he's like 45 and she's 18 and it's weird.

review bombing the game over it is dumb tho.

that said the VAing is very bad from the two minutes ive heard of it so it is a legitimate flaw in the game.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 27, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

voltcatfish posted:

play the breath of fire game with the talking dog in it

It's BoF IV so of course even the cute talking dog man is so severely alcoholic that he's literally never sober in the game.

At least in the original since they changed his drunken slurring into a speech impediment in the localization.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kanfy posted:

It's BoF IV so of course even the cute talking dog man is so severely alcoholic that he's literally never sober in the game.

At least in the original since they changed his drunken slurring into a speech impediment in the localization.

I sometimes wonder what games like this would be like if they were localized 10 years later when localization didn't censor stuff usually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I sometimes wonder what games like this would be like if they were localized 10 years later when localization didn't censor stuff usually
it'd have a drunk dog man in it and otherwise be mostly the same

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

it'd have a drunk dog man in it and otherwise be mostly the same

you're talking as if this isn't something that would revolutionize the world as we know it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

don't deny dogs drugs

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hosed up that you'd all forget my man Bow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

voltcatfish posted:

don't deny dogs drugs

Dark Dogs Don't Drugs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Atelier Firis: Recruit a big man, ride on a broom

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

BoF IV is more of an exception than the norm, they went at it pretty aggressively for some reason which is unusual for a PS1 game. The most messed up stuff is still in the game too, probably because a lot of it is so central to the plot.

I mean, they even left the Pabpab in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnd6qEIzVU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

does the clock in those screens mean they brought back the time system because having no time limit really fucks up the pacing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanfy posted:

BoF IV is more of an exception than the norm, they went at it pretty aggressively for some reason which is unusual for a PS1 game. The most messed up stuff is still in the game too, probably because a lot of it is so central to the plot.

I mean, they even left the Pabpab in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnd6qEIzVU

I think that's why I found the removed scenes in BoF4 so baffling. There's some hosed up poo poo in that game, but for some reason a dude's silhouette getting decapitated or a couple of goofy anime-style scenes is a bridge too far?

Also apparently the English localization totally invented Nina having a crush on Cray, too, which is extra funny because it only comes up in a single scene, is just kind of confusing, and then never comes up again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

does the clock in those screens mean they brought back the time system because having no time limit really fucks up the pacing

You have a one year limit to accomplish your initial goal (pass an alchemy exam to prove yourself and be allowed to leave your cavetown for good).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I hope things actually happen in that first year because Sophie is boring as hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The soundtrack in Bravely Second so far is a huge step down from Bravely Default.

Everything else seems like a step up--the dungeon design isn't amazing but they're using 3D space more and that's cool, for example--but man, I miss the BD soundtrack something fierce. Even the world map music in BD was incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy4LnZvl7o

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

Firis is shaping up to be a monster

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanfy posted:

2 not really, 3 is good and has the coolest Dragon mechanics but it also has a fairly painful encounter rate, 4 is worth playing for the story because dark JRPGs are fairly rare, Dragon Quarter is worth playing to see what you think about it.
You can cut the encounter rate by turning off the running toggle. The encounter rate isn't even that bad, more like predictable. It also kicks rear end.

Dragon Quarter is basically a roguelite you are meant to game over a number of times.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RareAcumen posted:

Disgaea 1- I only just remembered that stealing gets easier if your thief-whatever the class's name is- is a higher level than the enemies you're trying to rob.

Should I do some fights with lower leveled enemies and steal their stats first or just go straight for levels?
Always levels. Stats don't influence stealing and you can capture monsters that hit 9999, if you get bored with thieves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I think that's why I found the removed scenes in BoF4 so baffling. There's some hosed up poo poo in that game, but for some reason a dude's silhouette getting decapitated or a couple of goofy anime-style scenes is a bridge too far?

Also apparently the English localization totally invented Nina having a crush on Cray, too, which is extra funny because it only comes up in a single scene, is just kind of confusing, and then never comes up again.

iirc, the cut content was Ursula dropping trou in front of some sailors just to go "FEAR MY VAGINA, MANLY MEN" to prove that women can-too go on ships, the hotsprings scene while they're stuck waiting for the tide to come back in on an island bridge, and the big decapitation scene. All stuff excised at the explicit moment of "THIS IS OUTRIGHT SEXUAL/HIGH-LEVEL VIOLENCE" rather than gutting entire scenes from the game. Scias being changed to a stutterer is about on-par for the time too with alcohol getting changed to "juice" for a lot of games and anime (see also; Skies of Arcadia).

The stuff that is left in is likely just as shy of outright/explicit as they can carry it without getting dinged probably. Implied stuff was generally okay around the time of 90's localization, because the sweet innocent little children won't be able to figure it out themselves. You never see the actual sacrifice for the Carronade, just the brief moment before it and the girl's earring landing by Fou-Lu, for example, or what happens when they finally have to say goodbye to Nina's sister.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for the first time, i care about the ongoing censorship/localization debate. the vag of terror sounds amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it isn't really a vag of terror it's just 'are you sure you're a woman, lady? you're so badass.' and then ursula takes her pants off and they're like 'oh, well this is awkward'

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And that's why Ursula is one of the best BoF characters.

EDIT: \/ There are many reasons, okay?

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 28, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

And that's why Ursula is one of the best BoF characters.

Uh, pretty sure the real reason is shooting Khan off the top of the ship's mast without giving a single gently caress :allears:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

The soundtrack in Bravely Second so far is a huge step down from Bravely Default.

Everything else seems like a step up--the dungeon design isn't amazing but they're using 3D space more and that's cool, for example--but man, I miss the BD soundtrack something fierce. Even the world map music in BD was incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egy4LnZvl7o

Yeah the music was sorta letdown in BS. It still has some really good tracks but a lot of it is meh. The Asterisk battle them is bad compared to the fantastic one in BD.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They announced that the composer had changed like two years in advance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Doesn't stop it from being a letdown.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Doesn't stop it from being a letdown.

Especially when they tease you with a few of the old tracks at points.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah doesn't make it any less of a letdown.
The music is still good though for BS just not as amazing as BD's was.

Also I love Yew, he's literally Dean Venture.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The stuff that is left in is likely just as shy of outright/explicit as they can carry it without getting dinged probably. Implied stuff was generally okay around the time of 90's localization, because the sweet innocent little children won't be able to figure it out themselves. You never see the actual sacrifice for the Carronade, just the brief moment before it and the girl's earring landing by Fou-Lu, for example, or what happens when they finally have to say goodbye to Nina's sister.

Man, Breath of Fire 4 is dark as hell. The Carronade scene is legitimately horrifying, as is Elena's fate. Or the scene where a boar (I think) kills itself by ramming a boulder over and over again so Fou-Lu can pass, without Fou-Lu even telling it to, because that's the power a god has over mortals. For a PlayStation JRPG with cutesy graphics, it's a chilling game.

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah the music was sorta letdown in BS. It still has some really good tracks but a lot of it is meh. The Asterisk battle them is bad compared to the fantastic one in BD.

I do like the random battle theme in BS a lot, but I really miss the BD overworld theme.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BoF games always have always had weirdly dark moments I think. Like 3 opens with you toasting a bunch of defenceless miners because you just woke up and don't know what's going on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sakurazuka posted:

BoF games always have always had weirdly dark moments I think. Like 3 opens with you toasting a bunch of defenceless miners because you just woke up and don't know what's going on.

2 has basically every family member/close friend of your party go through awful poo poo as well. Nina's sister becomes a giant bird forever so you can have an airship, Rand's mother sacrifices herself to save the party from a trap, at one point you kill your father etc. And that's not even getting in to the optional hosed up stuff like how you can kill the villagers possessed by parasites because the targetting cursor defaults on them. And the normal ending of the game is the MC turning into a dragon to physically block the entrance to hell forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, the miners you fight come at you with shovels and pickaxes and the two guys who free you immediately attack you first as well. There's a bunch of miners just cowering in fear and you don't fight them.

The whole business with Nue and its cubs a little later on does probably qualify though.